The debate about whether friendlies mean anything

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

I hope those who say they do are on here with a load of congratulations for Mr Levein and the team. :)

Dagger Is Back

I want us to win every single game but at the end of the day friendlies mean JS.

At the end of the season I wouldn’t even be able to guess pre season scores

Rick James

They really don't mean much. I feel the same about our 7-0 win tonight as I did about the Arbroath game.

The result is meaningless, but it's good to see players get a run out, and in tonights case, it's particularly good to see young lads get goals.

We played an Irish second tier side. Lets not kid ourselves on that this is some heroic result. I wouldn't even know if their team was full strength.

JamboGraham
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

They didn’t after Arbroath, and they still don’t after this.

They matter with regard to fitness, shape of team, individual and collective performance, etc...

Results and scores don’t matter due to reduced intensity of the matches in terms of pace and tackling, etc.

That said for us supporters it’s always enjoyable to win matches so I am feeling unashamedly pleased this evening... 

24 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

They matter with regard to fitness, shape of team, individual and collective performance, etc...

Results and scores don’t matter due to reduced intensity of the matches in terms of pace and tackling, etc.

That said for us supporters it’s always enjoyable to win matches so I am feeling unashamedly pleased this evening... 

Yes, that is what I meant. ?

jack D and coke

It’s hard to not take something from any game friendly or not, I don’t like Hearts getting beat tbh and especially by lower league outfits. 

I appreciate they mean fack all but I enjoyed seeing a 0-7 result tonight. 

Pants Shaton

They mean **** all, unless you’re one of the Levein-oot thickos, in which case you’ll find a way to make them fit your weird agenda.

Big Slim Stylee

Mean a lot to the management and coaches.

Utterly shrugworthy to most fans other than the totally unhinged wing.

Bridge of Djoum

Important for fitness. The results are meaningless unless you hand out a pumping. :whistling:

Cruyff Turn

Shelbourne had their 2nd team out, they are a 2nd division Irish team, the Irish Prem is probably League 1 standard bar Dundalk and Cork who are maybe top Championship level. Today we effectively horsed the Irish version of Cowdenbeaths 2nd strIng. It was a good result, but to be expected. I wouldn’t be getting carried away. 

Lose a pre-season game to perceived lower standard club = manager oot

Beat a perceived lower standard club = not enough of a challenge, manager oot

Lose to a higher ranked club = getting pumped off big teams is a morale killer, manager oot

Beat a higher ranking club = they only played their b-team, waste of our time, manager oot

That just about covers it.

Friendlies give a manager an opportunity to try different things without the fear of losing points or cup knockout. 

Those selected should want to win the game and work hard so in that sense the result should matter.

But as an exercise it lets you try different shape, get players match fit, try youths or fringe players you might not try if it were for points and if the result was so important you wouldn't see so many subs or a complete change of team at half time. 

So yes it means something but at the end of the day it's a training exercise 

Inch Hearts

Fantastic win this evening for a different matter of reasons.  Building confidence and momentum can never be discredited ever.  A professional goalkeeper never wants to concede as do defenders, a professional footballer never wants to lose and a striker wants to score.  Yes fitness is in whole the purpose of the exercise but winning/losing can never be discredited.   What is weird is people making threads to rip into others for having a difference of opinion. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I hope those who say they do are on here with a load of congratulations for Mr Levein and the team. :)

And that that don’t will no doubt avoid this thread and the match thread as it’s meaningless for them, surely? 

55 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I appreciate they mean fack all but I enjoyed seeing a 0-7 result tonight. 

There’s only one team I want to pump 7-0 for enjoyment but I’m still deliriously delighted with  5-1 ? HHGH ??

Bazzas right boot

Match fitness, team bonding, general fitness, trying new players even to try new things, yes they matter in that regard. 

The results Litterally mean nothing. 

Not even convinced the players confidence/ morale would be efected in any way either. 

Pro players know what friendlies mean and why they are carried out. 

They might mean more to young/ squad players who are not currently viewed as 1st teamers, they'll Likley try harder. 

If anything, established players will play a level below and be far more mindful of avoiding Injuries and just aim for fitness etc. 

12 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

All about match fitness and avoiding injury in my opinion 

If that's the case, just play bounce games in training. It would save money on these pointless exercises too, wouldn't it.

Selkirkhmfc1874
41 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If that's the case, just play bounce games in training. It would save money on these pointless exercises too, wouldn't it.

Always nice to win off course but for me the main purpose is match fitness as I've said and avoiding injury ! Winning starts next Friday when it matters 

Little more  than bounce games to gain fitness and match practice. Nice to score a few goals though.   You would only have real concerns if Hearts took a real horsing in one if these games. So far, so good I would say. Looking forward to the next one.

Edited by Deevers

1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Always nice to win off course but for me the main purpose is match fitness as I've said and avoiding injury ! Winning starts next Friday when it matters 

Can't what for the new season. And the league cup is a great for doing away with pishie friendliness fitbaw. ? Anyway, Intae thim!

10 hours ago, Pants Shaton said:

They mean **** all, unless you’re one of the Levein-oot thickos, in which case you’ll find a way to make them fit your weird agenda.

Same if you're a Levein-in thicko, 1-1 to either side so far in pre season.

1 minute ago, RudiHMFC said:

Not really though. The “Levein cuckolds” have been consistent in saying these are just friendly training exercises, and the results don’t matter.

F6B32CBA-0A68-4666-B091-3B7C5DC521C7.jpeg

Saint Jambo
8 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

The results Litterally mean nothing. 

Not even convinced the players confidence/ morale would be efected in any way either. 

Pro players know what friendlies mean and why they are carried out. 

Just watching the goals you can see how true this is. The players don't bother celebrating goals. When Berra scores his main thought seems to be to help up the defender he had muscled out the way to score. The only people that care about results I'm friendlies are some supporters.

Brighton Jambo

I am absolutely in the friendly results don't mean anything camp but they can be beneficial to individual players.

Steven Mclean wont be bothered (I assume) that he scored tonight but a goal and an assist for Wighton could do wonders for his confidence.  Likewise Zantatta and young Smith hasd an impact and will be buzzing for more opportunities.  Even if they were the only positives we want to take that's not too bad.

ArcticJambo

Having watched the goals package I can see that they'll have likely got more out of the loss to Arbroath than the win over this Irish outfit.

Harry Potter
11 hours ago, Locky said:

They really don't mean much. I feel the same about our 7-0 win tonight as I did about the Arbroath game.

The result is meaningless, but it's good to see players get a run out, and in tonights case, it's particularly good to see young lads get goals.

We played an Irish second tier side. Lets not kid ourselves on that this is some heroic result. I wouldn't even know if their team was full strength.

Wins like this puts confidence in the team prior to the season starting.

28 minutes ago, farin said:

For the team it’s a chance to get some sharpness & actual game time in without it being life or death on the pitch.  For the fans it’s a jolly & a piss up before the real football begins.. 

Precisely. Nothing more, nothing less.

A_A wehatethehibs

If I get beat in a football match I’m pissed off. 

It’s not training it’s a match, the outcome is A you’re a winner or B you’re a loser. Or you’re both losers if it’s a draw, failing to win is losing. 

I hate losing, do not like getting beat - in any minor situation. I am competitive. 

But having said that, pre-season is a time to experiment with different line-ups and get a look at trialists and kids, so that means sometimes you’ll get beat by an Arbroath side who’s lads are up for it. Doesn’t mean you have to be happy about it.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

oh ah grantona

2-0 v Arbroath

7-0 v shelbourne

Both mean feck all. It's about fitness and continuity to be ready for July 12th and winning Betfred cup group (hopefully with ease and using them as build up games to August 3rd)

The only good thing about winning friendlies is that winning should breed confindence no matter the level and a defeat could have opposite influence

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

Nah, most of the happy clappers are saying friendly results mean nothing. 

On this thread all are or some have been sarcastic. 

Not sure anyone is using a friendly win to heap praise on CL. 

Many did use a defeat against him tho. 

Haringshairband

Friendlies don't (or shouldn't) mean anything to the fans, they are away to assess players, build fitness and work on different shape.