How many more quality players are required

wagy

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Your idea of what might be affordable outstrips mine.

Whats the clubs playing staff budget for year? 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• mitch41

• pettigrewsstylist

• Aich E Eh

56 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Whats the clubs playing staff budget for year? 

I do not know and could only best guess, but  CL has said we are finished buying unless Lee or/and Djoum go.  That suggests to me we are near to our optimum spending on players.

To get a developed goalscorer alone would cost serious money as such players are in great demand, even if out of contract, and when you add a robust/energetic MF to that, as well as another LB, then we need serious money.  I would guess, and it is a guess, we would need help from our benefactors or sell Soapy which is not an ideal solution.

Edited by JamboAl

pettigrewsstylist
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I do not know and could onlt best guess, but  CL has said we are finished buying unless Lee or/and Djoum go.  That suggests to me we are near to our optimum spending on players.

To get a developed goalscorer alone would cost serious money as such players are in great demand, even if out of contract, and when you add a robust/energetic MF to that, as well as another LB, then we need serious money.  I would guess, and it is a guess, we would need help from our benefactors or sell Soapy which is not an ideal solution.

Fair enough. Lets hope that none of our risk players incur injuries, last yrs midfield undergo a radical transformation and Washington has his best season in yrs then.

You wonder how the likes of Hibs, Motherwell and Killie manage it tbh.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

A dominating central midfielder that isn't scared to get forward and take the game by the scruff of the neck,

A right winger, We can't be relying on Morrison ffs. 

I'd be happy if we got those 2 in. 

If i'm being greedy, a Poacher wouldn't go a miss either,  Shankland would of been worth taken a chance on imo. Too late now. 

I've not seen Washington yet but his goal scoring record is questionable. 

Edited by Aich E Eh

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by what Washington will bring to the team this year. In pure all around effort & quickness.

Having Uche, Naismith, Mulraney, Clare & now Walker around him, will create all sorts of options for him, Hearts, & problems for defences.

Can see him hitting about 15 in all competitions.

He seems like a high calibre player, I don't think i will be surprised by his all round game, It's the scoring of goals that i'm worried about.

Something we've been lacking badly. 

I'm not a massive fan of Clare. Hopefully we'll see more of him this season. 

Edited by Aich E Eh

5 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Fair enough. Lets hope that none of our risk players incur injuries, last yrs midfield undergo a radical transformation and Washington has his best season in yrs then.

You wonder how the likes of Hibs, Motherwell and Killi manage their finances so well.

Why only the risk players?  People like Berra had a relatively injury free career record and still missed some months as did M Smith.  If we could prophesy who was going to get injured I am sure CL would have staffed the team accordingly.

I don't know enough about Hibs (new owner?), M'well or Killie finances to comment but perhaps you can enlighten us.

I am guessing that we are not getting the players you want BECAUSE we are managing our finances well rather than return to the debt laden days when we nearly went out of business.  Would you prefer that?

1 minute ago, Barack said:

I have a quietly good feeling about him. He's strong & almost on a par with Mulraney I'd say in terms of speed.

He does the job for Northern Ireland. I think he can quite happily get at least 10. I actually think Uche may be the one who suffers this year, by being more of a sub. They could make a great triumvirate though, with Naismith or Walker behind. Like the start of last season, & how that worked so well with MacLean.

Hope so.

Did you see Uche's goal on instagram today? It looked like it was Berra he was holding off, turned him and smashed one in the top corner. 

If he's over his injury problems, I think he'll be first choice. 

Deans-Hearts
18 minutes ago, Aich E Eh said:

A dominating central midfielder 

Thats exactly what we require. Still feel we have a lot of average and no real quality 

Just now, Barack said:

Yeah, & Jake's. Good finishes.??

We should see a good season from Jake as well,

He had improved a lot towards the end of last season, Seems to be gaining confidence. :)

He's the quickest player i've seen in a Hearts top. If Washington can match that sort of speed... 

10 minutes ago, Deans-Hearts said:

Thats exactly what we require. Still feel we have a lot of average and no real quality 

For sure. Quite glad Olly Lee is leaving to be honest. 

Djoum is decent but nothing special, It's time for him to move on.

Bozanic.. I hope we see more from him this year. 

Edwards might be a bit of a wild card/dark horse or he might disappear into the reserves. 

Haring has been a great signing, Anyone know how he's getting on injury wise?

Connor Smith looks the business but is still developing. 

Edited by Aich E Eh

pettigrewsstylist
46 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Why only the risk players?  People like Berra had a relatively injury free career record and still missed some months as did M Smith.  If we could prophesy who was going to get injured I am sure CL would have staffed the team accordingly.

I don't know enough about Hibs (new owner?), M'well or Killie finances to comment but perhaps you can enlighten us.

I am guessing that we are not getting the players you want BECAUSE we are managing our finances well rather than return to the debt laden days when we nearly went out of business.  Would you prefer that?

You win.

pettigrewsstylist
41 minutes ago, Deans-Hearts said:

Totally this. We have some quality i think in PH, JW and SN but all coming back from repeated ops.

pettigrewsstylist
59 minutes ago, Barack said:

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised by what Washington will bring to the team this year. In pure all around effort & quickness.

Having Uche, Naismith, Mulraney, Clare & now Walker around him, will create all sorts of options for him, Hearts, & problems for defences.

Can see him hitting about 15 in all competitions.

Its a serious looking tag team, no doubt!

I’m sure Levein said at the end of last season that he wanted to sign a couple of wingers. We desperately need a tricky winger with a bit of pace. Someone like Driver, Valois or Templeton that can create something out of nothing. 

johnking123

If Lee and Djoum leave. Would only replace with one quality player. Time for Cochrane and Irvine to get more game time. Especially if we are using Clare down the middle.

Edited by johnking123

John mcCartney
4 hours ago, JamboAl said:

your fakn obsessed with spending money chief ,its clearly a problem for you.
your shit scared of spending unwisely yet look at mr leveins record on duds which means pay offs and ridiculous(frustrating for the support,damaging) contracts as a whole over the last years he has been in charge.

1 hour ago, John mcCartney said:

your fakn obsessed with spending money chief ,its clearly a problem for you.
your shit scared of spending unwisely yet look at mr leveins record on duds which means pay offs and ridiculous(frustrating for the support,damaging) contracts as a whole over the last years he has been in charge.

Aye, from Newhaven.  That says it all!  I would have thought ALL Hearts supporters would be shit scared of spending money unwisely.  And that's not how you spell you're!!!

I think Mrs B would like to hand the club over to FoH in a solid state, not laden with debt - unless you can guarantee any signings will be howling successes.

Who are these signings, oh wise one, and what would they cost?

Edited by JamboAl

Cruyff Turn
4 hours ago, amadjambo said:

I’m sure Levein said at the end of last season that he wanted to sign a couple of wingers. We desperately need a tricky winger with a bit of pace. Someone like Driver, Valois or Templeton that can create something out of nothing. 

He did indeed say that. 

We could do with a Right Sided one. 

10 hours ago, amadjambo said:

We’ll end up putting Washington out on the wing.

Nookie Bear
24 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

We’ll end up putting Washington out on the wing.

I would happily see Uche playing wide. 

Fozzyonthefence
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Aye, from Newhaven.  That says it all!  I would have thought ALL Hearts supporters would be shit scared of spending money unwisely.  And that's not how you spell you're!!!

I think Mrs B would like to hand the club over to FoH in a solid state, not laden with debt - unless you can guarantee any signings will be howling successes.

Who are these signings, oh wise one, and what would they cost?

I think you’re missing the point that  Hibs, Motherwell, and Killie all seem to be able to bring in players in attacking positions that are better than ours.  You’re obsessing on cost but Well and Killie only have a fraction of our budget and Hibs is similar.  So it should be possible to recruit much better than we have over the last few years without going into debt, no?

hmfc_liam06
On 02/07/2019 at 12:24, J80MBO said:

2x Gk, LB, RB, 2x CM, winger and striker 

We need to sign two quality goalies? I mean I know oor Craig likes to go defensive from time to time but that's taking it too far.

hmfc_liam06
On 02/07/2019 at 12:47, J80MBO said:

If folk think signing a couple of players will transform us from a team that was relegation playoff form for nearly three quarters of season are far more glass half full than me.

Another pearler. What about adding a couple players to the squad that had us top of the league before injuries ravaged us?

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think you’re missing the point that  Hibs, Motherwell, and Killie all seem to be able to bring in players in attacking positions that are better than ours.  You’re obsessing on cost but Well and Killie only have a fraction of our budget and Hibs is similar.  So it should be possible to recruit much better than we have over the last few years without going into debt, no?

They have done pretty well at recruiting forward players. Neither have brought in a Lafferty or Naismith in the period you mention though. Two forward players arguably better than anything they have signed in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They all SEEM...

It's a matter of opinion and time wtll tell whether these clubs have brought in better attacking players than the likes of Walker and Washington.  We may even have another to come if Lee and Djoum wave goodbye.

The grass always seems greener on the other side.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Maybe we will see Uche running at running at defences and getting on the end of things, instead of the back to goal holdup player that he has been employed as. Hopefully we will play a different way with Washington coming in.

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

He does tend to drift out wide at times which should open up space for Walker, Clare and Naismith.

The thought of Uche starting out wide does give me the fear a bit though. But potentially hilarious (which isn’t really what I want from a hearts wide player)

I’ve just seen on one of the pre season videos that Washington was down the right and crossing for Wighton to finish. 

fabienleclerq

See last year I felt it was the centre midfield that wasn't good enough and holding us back. 

Roll forward and tbh we look even weaker in that department with Lee and Djoum going etc. Aberdeen have signed Bryson and look to be after Mcgeouch, I can't help but feel we are missing out on quality players there. 

21 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

See last year I felt it was the centre midfield that wasn't good enough and holding us back. 

Roll forward and tbh we look even weaker in that department with Lee and Djoum going etc. Aberdeen have signed Bryson and look to be after Mcgeouch, I can't help but feel we are missing out on quality players there. 

We will look weaker without these two but that presupposes we're not going to replace them and CL says he will.  For my money, the quicker the two of them are out of the door the better.  Lee, apart from one goal, has never been much of an asset IMO while Djoum, technically at least, is gone already.  If he wanted our offer he would have signed it by now and is no doubt looking for something better.  While he's doing that we could be looking for someone better too and withdraw our offer immediatley.

McGeouch and Bryson might be decent players but they are not world beaters .  Aberdeen have also lost GMS and Shinnie both of whom are probably more effective players than Bryson and McGeouch so that would work out as a net loss.

fabienleclerq
38 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

We will look weaker without these two but that presupposes we're not going to replace them and CL says he will.  For my money, the quicker the two of them are out of the door the better.  Lee, apart from one goal, has never been much of an asset IMO while Djoum, technically at least, is gone already.  If he wanted our offer he would have signed it by now and is no doubt looking for something better.  While he's doing that we could be looking for someone better too and withdraw our offer immediatley.

McGeouch and Bryson might be decent players but they are not world beaters .  Aberdeen have also lost GMS and Shinnie both of whom are probably more effective players than Bryson and McGeouch so that would work out as a net loss.

Bryson has been a championship player for years and for me would've been an ideal signing especially with Smith and cochrane looking to break through in similar positions to where Bryson plays. 

Mcgeouch is a quality player, no sure about his injuries though. 

I'm not fussed by Lee, he was average all year and didn't fit our system at all. Djoum is a quality player but I assume he is off. I just think hanging about for these pair limits our options. 

One quality player would be all we need to replace Djoum & Lee IMO. We have plenty good young players breaking through in that position

Guest ToqueJambo
On 03/07/2019 at 10:24, pettigrewsstylist said:

You wonder how the likes of Hibs, Motherwell and Killie manage it tbh.

Like Sow, Zeefuik, Naismith, Haring, Souttar, Djoum and Lafferty when they joined us?

None of Hibs, Well or Killie will finish above us this season. You heard it here first. We have better players in every department, a squad with cover in all areas and zero deadwood now, and some of the most promising youngsters in the land poised to break through. 

If you want to worry about injuries before the season's even started that's up to you but the risk of injury applies to other clubs too. 

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I'd be amazed if we don't sign another more experienced midfielder. But we also have Cochrane, Smith and Irving. These guys need their chance some time. This could be it for one of them at least.

14 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'd be amazed if we don't sign another more experienced midfielder. But we also have Cochrane, Smith and Irving. These guys need their chance some time. This could be it for one of them at least.

What has happened to Cochrane? He was the next best thing after that goal against Celtic. 

He didn't get all that much game time last season and now suddenly the likes of Conor Smith looks better and more likely to get a game. 

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wee Harold will get some good minutes logged this year I think. 

Unsurprisingly, he caught the "injured every 2 minutes bug" that was going around last season. Levein has faith in him. Not so sure the others do.

Who are the others? lol

18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Yep. All about opinions. 

Up to Harry to prove the doubters wrong. Needs the game time though. Otherwise it's off on loan to Dunfermline or some other 3rd world shit-hole like Greenock, in order to get the minutes & improve on the undoubted talent he has.

I dunno what to make of it. There was rumours of injuries, rumours of him getting too big for his boots. The latter would make sense, if you get on Levein's bad side you're in trouble.

When i see him play, he seems a bit light weight and he lacks pace, Sometimes it looks like he's treading in sand. Talented player though. 

Probably for the best that he goes out on loan if he's not going to get much of a sniff.

i wish jj was my dad
10 hours ago, Aich E Eh said:

I dunno what to make of it. There was rumours of injuries, rumours of him getting too big for his boots. The latter would make sense, if you get on Levein's bad side you're in trouble.

When i see him play, he seems a bit light weight and he lacks pace, Sometimes it looks like he's treading in sand. Talented player though. 

Probably for the best that he goes out on loan if he's not going to get much of a sniff.

Rumours generated by arseholes with a grudge on here. Levein frequently talked him up and mentioned his injuries. 

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, boag1874 said:

One quality player would be all we need to replace Djoum & Lee IMO. We have plenty good young players breaking through in that position

Good assessment for me.

johnking123

One quality experienced play for midfield is all will need.  Clare being used down the middle is an extra midfielder and young lads cochrane, Irvine will get far more game time. Looking forward to this season.

Phil D. Corners
12 hours ago, boag1874 said:

This is where I’m at, but would wait for a few more games before deciding. The current squad should get through the Betfred cup. 

On 01/07/2019 at 20:36, wagy said:

Levein saying he is happy with the business he has done in the media but surely he realises he needs another three four or five to be ready

This made me laugh 

julienbrellier

the signings we have made so far don´t get me wrong are very good. But we need central midfielders of quality. You have Mulumbu, McGeoch and Gauld all available who are tried and tested at this level. we should be bringing in two there minimum. I also think we need to decent GK. Zlamal for me is a good bench option, Doyle is awful.

Levein has to move here or it will be another season of disappointment I fear

I am for giving Irving a run of games in midfield, a big chance to do so, then giving any midfield signing time to get up to speed /settle in.

24 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

the signings we have made so far don´t get me wrong are very good. But we need central midfielders of quality. You have Mulumbu, McGeoch and Gauld all available who are tried and tested at this level. we should be bringing in two there minimum. I also think we need to decent GK. Zlamal for me is a good bench option, Doyle is awful.

I think we absolutely need to bring in a quality centre mid, two minumum though? With Haring starting we'll have Bozanic, Cochrane, Burns, C.Smith, Irving, Edwards and apparently Clare as midfield cover, I think that lot can more than cover for the loss of Lee between them. Djoum does need replaced though ideally with someone who walks into the team.

I also agree we need a keeper, I know the manager said he's happy with our options but I reckon if he sat Doyle down and explained to him that he won't play much then Doyle would hopefully look elsewhere for playing time and free up a space in the squad

37 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Really?

Almost since the day I started supporting Hearts - and that wasn't yesterday - I have always felt we're just 2 players short of a very good team.  It is a natural thing with supporters and I'm sure every manager feels the same.

Jambof3tornado

I still think we are 4 short to allow a strength in our squad to cover injuries.

Over to you Craig.

HeartofIron
3 hours ago, julienbrellier said:

Gauld definitely not tried and tested. Pretty poor and lightweight from what I saw of him last season