How many more quality players are required

wagy

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Haring to win the ball back and pass to Adam(s).

We only need a maximum of 2. Passer and poacher.

I am now of the opinion, we are not that worried about Djoum returning, happy to shed Lee, once this is cleared up, we will use the wedge on a technician in the middle of the pitch. Someone to put the ball in the net regularly. Washington might be that man, but he also might be used for width. Naismith could also play as the main striker but less likely.

Getting a wee bit excited again, never a good thing :)

It never lasts mate :lol: 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• pettigrewsstylist

• Mr Elwood P

• Aich E Eh

Lord Beni of Gorgie
11 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

It never lasts mate :lol: 

:sob:

Agentjambo
3 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

2x Gk, LB, RB, 2x CM, winger and striker 

Put the special brew down....

Levein saying in his interview yesterday that he might replace Djoum and Lee with one player as he is looking to play Clare in the middle more often.

I think we need a central midfielder who can act as backup to or challenge Haring for his place. He's been in and out with injuries and still isn't fit. When he's in the team we play better so we need a guy like that.

Still think we need a better goalkeeper as well

rick witter
4 minutes ago, Cwapsy said:

Levein saying in his interview yesterday that he might replace Djoum and Lee with one player as he is looking to play Clare in the middle more often.

I think we need a central midfielder who can act as backup to or challenge Haring for his place. He's been in and out with injuries and still isn't fit. When he's in the team we play better so we need a guy like that.

If Sean Clare plays in the middle of the park we are in trouble. He has nowhere near the work rate or aggression to play there. 

Just now, rick witter said:

If Sean Clare plays in the middle of the park we are in trouble. He has nowhere near the work rate or aggression to play there. 

Agree. With the new signings I can't see how Clare gets in the team. 

Naismith plays deeper these days and Walker will be in and around behind the striker too. 

1 minute ago, Cwapsy said:

Jury’s still out with Clare , so I wouldn’t be putting my money on him quite yet becoming a solid, reliable body. 

I’d just like our midfield to have a fresh, energetic look with a bit more craft. I think Boz and Edwards are decent squad players, Haring is a staple as defensive mid, and with Lee and Djoum looking like they are gone, there’s surely scope to bring in a body or two and gauge against what we had and get the quality or different style to improve.  

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Jury’s still out with Clare , so I wouldn’t be putting my money on him quite yet becoming a solid, reliable body. 

I’d just like our midfield to have a fresh, energetic look with a bit more craft. I think Boz and Edwards are decent squad players, Haring is a staple as defensive mid, and with Lee and Djoum looking like they are gone, there’s surely scope to bring in a body or two and gauge against what we had and get the quality or different style to improve.  

Levein said yesterday "“Peter [Haring] is not playing right now, he has been left at home and would ordinarily be an automatic starter, I want to use Sean Clare more centrally, so it depends on a few factors."

8 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Clare in the middle might mean we actually try to play a bit more football. 

If folk think signing a couple of players will transform us from a team that was relegation playoff form for nearly three quarters of season are far more glass half full than me.

12 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

Clare in the middle might mean we actually try to play a bit more football. 

What do you mean exactly? Is Clare that good he can influence how we play? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, rick witter said:

Good we are back to normal :)

Clare's makes running look effortless, check him out on the dunes last week. Aggression I agree, but his pace will get him back into good positions. His ability on the ball is pretty good though, I reckon we may all be pleasantly surprised by him this time about

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

What do you mean exactly? Is Clare that good he can influence how we play? 

I think he could be you know. High hopes for him, he certainly has ability

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

In this video he can be seen playing more centrally. I tend to take highlight videos with a pinch of salt but he would probably be better in the middle than out wide.

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Suppose we’ll see.  At the mo, in my head I’m looking at Naismith, Walker and our front men doing more damage than anyone else in the side. 

As you know, many facets make a good footballer. You can’t have a touch of ability alone and likewise you can’t be an ultimate winner but be a huddy on the ball.  

Clare needs to be more imposing and courageous. If he goes on to have a strong season then it’s all the better for Hearts.  Basing it on last season he looks like a ten a penny player you’ll find everywhere.  

Big Slim Stylee
26 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

If folk think signing a couple of players will transform us from a team that was relegation playoff form for nearly three quarters of season are far more glass half full than me.

Yep. That’s where most ordinary non-miserable fecker Hearts fans are. Looking forward to a new season instead of getting in the moans early doors.

Shame you’re not able to join us.

rudi must stay

First 11 I'm fine with. 

We'll be considerably better than last season IMO. And hopefully get more luck with injuries.

Would bring in a winger and if Djoum goes then a box to box midfielder. Crucial position and I wouldn't mind seeing us paying money for someone 

Mr Elwood P
38 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Look how much we miss Naismith, one player. Adding Washington, Walker, White and Halkett to our staring line up could make a massive difference. 

15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Deja vu-ing all over the shop, SG, so we may have had this conversation before, but I agree about Clare. 

He had a standing start when he arrived and what with the pace of the game, adjusting to it etc., I feel he's done well. Certainly shown in flashes that there's a good football brain in there and a fair amount of skill. 

Find the right place to play him and I too have high hopes that he'll be a great asset. 

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'd be more than happy with a Mulumbu or Dorrans type signing, it's what we're crying out for, get one of them in and I think we're ready to go, as long as Walker starts to repay the fans back for his tantrums before he left, him on one side and Jake on the other could torture a few defences if they get their acts together quickly, Clare in the centre with Haring pulling the strings, Washington and Naisy running at defences, and big Uche bullying them senseless, will we even need a goalkeeper next season?? :D 

A real quality Centre Midfielder player and I’d be happy enough. If Djoum and Lee go we are an injury away from another crisis.

I am hoping that the cumulative effect of :-

1.  1 year more settled team

2.  Naismith has less injuries/more game time. 

3.  Overall less injuries

4. Younger players (Cochrane in particular) year older. More physically and mentally mature

5. A few fresh faces through the team of better quality.  

6. Mulraney more confident to go at defenders. Think he improved game on game towards the end of the season. 

7. Defence more settled. 

8. Levein allowing more attacking play. 

Will produce a significant improvement overall. 

Await the Levein haters starting with point 8 and failing to comment on points 1-7 to support their view we will be even worse coz Levein still here. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I think, if we sign Naismith, we are ok up top now - Zannatta, Morrison, Keena may all bring something to the table and I think it is important that we have young players being kept with a chance to play.

But creatively I would like a central midfielder who can unlock defences - I didnt see either game though and it seems as if Clare may be earmarked for this role?

It seems to me to be a no brainer to bring Craig Gordon back. Other than that I'd like a solid ankle nipping but passing midfielder - either to cover or (depending on the game) to play beside Haring. And Adao type but I wouldn't turn down Adam or Morrison.

So I'd like 2 more please.

Selkirkhmfc1874
37 minutes ago, Sid said:

I am hoping that the cumulative effect of :-

1.  1 year more settled team

2.  Naismith has less injuries/more game time. 

3.  Overall less injuries

4. Younger players (Cochrane in particular) year older. More physically and mentally mature

5. A few fresh faces through the team of better quality.  

6. Mulraney more confident to go at defenders. Think he improved game on game towards the end of the season. 

7. Defence more settled. 

8. Levein allowing more attacking play. 

Will produce a significant improvement overall. 

Await the Levein haters starting with point 8 and failing to comment on points 1-7 to support their view we will be even worse coz Levein still here. 

Totally agree! Would only add hopefully see more of Irving and McDonald this season 

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

To get the best out of Clare you have to play to his strengths and get him on the front foot and running at defences from a deepish position. IMO

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

To get the best out of Clare you have to play to his strengths and get him on the front foot and running at defences from a deepish position. IMO

Bursting into areas 

I was hopeful we'd maybe see a couple of out and out wingers coming in, to give us some other options to open games up and create some chances.

We keep banging on about strikers but we don't give our current strikers much to work with. The problem for me is behind the strikers. (Walker & Naismith obviously add much more threat but in the tight games I don't feel we really help ourselves with the lack of width or options we have out wide to get round the back)

Robbo-Jambo
1 hour ago, E3OBE said:

I was hopeful we'd maybe see a couple of out and out wingers coming in, to give us some other options to open games up and create some chances.

We keep banging on about strikers but we don't give our current strikers much to work with. The problem for me is behind the strikers. (Walker & Naismith obviously add much more threat but in the tight games I don't feel we really help ourselves with the lack of width or options we have out wide to get round the back)

We have got Mulraney but I thought a natural right winger might have come in. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, rick witter said:

He has some creativity though and an eye for a goal (well I saw some of that in flashes) and that's what we miss in the middle. Not every central midfielder needs to be aggressive.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, J80MBO said:

And which of our players were missing from our team for most of that time? Get them back and additions and we have a good squad.

1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

I think Mulraney could really turn into something special but he needs some help. 

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

He has some creativity though and an eye for a goal (well I saw some of that in flashes) and that's what we miss in the middle. Not every central midfielder needs to be aggressive.

Aggression can be interpreted many ways. I doubt anyone expects Clare to be a tough tackler in that form of aggression, but it can mean showing aggression by being brave enough to simply challenge when the odds are against you,  putting yourself in front of the opposition and still wanting the ball. 

Or,  when you have the ball you exert yourself to protect it under pressure.  I think he gives it up too easy.  

Last season when we had our problems, do you think he stepped forward and became a leader , stuck his hand up for the ball and imposed himself to give confidence to others?   CL tries to align him with Mickey Cameron but he’s miles from being him. 

Edited by Debut 4

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Aggression can be interpreted many ways. I doubt anyone expects Clare to be a tough tackler in that form of aggression, but it can mean showing aggression by being brave enough to simply challenge when the odds are against you,  putting yourself in front of the opposition and still wanting the ball. 

Or,  when you have the ball you exert yourself to protect it under pressure.  I think he gives it up too easy.  

Last season when we had our problems, do you think he stepped forward and became a leader , stuck his hand up for the ball and imposed himself to give confidence to others?   CL tries to align him with Mickey Cameron but he’s miles from being him. 

No but he did try. Stepped up to become first choice penalty taker for a start. I thought he looked like a young player with limited experience thrown in at the deep end due to our injuries, but looked much better when he built up some confidence. At his age Cameron was still playing for Raith but yeah not many of our midfielders have been as good as Mickey so I'm not expecting that.

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Mulumbu can pass forward, I know he’s a ball winner type but he’s a good footballer. Pretty sure it was him that setup Killies late winner at Tynecastle when their Right back smashed it past Bobby. 

He ran the whole game, he was head & shoulders above everybody on the park that day, if we could could get him in to replace Djoum we would have won a watch.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, J80MBO said:

Well what would you suggest, a rain dance?

Cruyff Turn
2 hours ago, Jamdub said:

He ran the whole game, he was head & shoulders above everybody on the park that day, if we could could get him in to replace Djoum we would have won a watch.

He’s a good player, 6 assists from open play in the last two seasons. So he’s not just a holding midfielder, more like a Kante type, can play a bit as well. He’d be the perfect replacement for Djoum, experiences pro and fit as a fiddle. 

Hectormasson

Probably the spine of the side is fairly strong, but I would definetly be on the look out for a goalkeeper, we need a big commanding goalkeeper that will come of his line " without hesitation " levein seems to be content with zlamal and doyle ' I and I suppose many other fans would disagree with him ? We saw a lot last season to make up our minds for us,  but its up to the manager, hopefully a stronger defence might be the main difference  this season " but weve been fortunate to have some good goalies and I'd like to see us get another..

pettigrewsstylist
19 hours ago, rick witter said:

Yip. Thats a big concern. But if he found it.....

pettigrewsstylist

Concerned about relying too heavily on White or LB. Need some robust energy at CM and a developed goalscorer for me.

Ford Prentice
14 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Hoping this is a big year for Anthony MacDonald. If so, problem solved.

9 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Hoping this is a big year for Anthony MacDonald. If so, problem solved.

Definitely. AM has the ability to be one of the best wingers we have seen at this club, a bold statement to make but a member of the current coaching staff thinks the same.

1 hour ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Concerned about relying too heavily on White or LB. Need some robust energy at CM and a developed goalscorer for me.

LB - options are Burns, Hickey, Brandon, M Smith, Garruccio (when fit) and Godinho (if he stays).  How many more options do we need or can we afford?

CM - Edwards is well capable of robust energy. as we saw in the Cup final.

Scorer - Have we not just signed Washington for this purpose?

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

LB - options are Burns, Hickey, Brandon, M Smith, Garruccio (when fit) and Godinho (if he stays).  How many more options do we need or can we afford?

Your confidence in untried solutions far outstrips mine. 

3 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Your confidence in untried solutions far outstrips mine. 

Your idea of what might be affordable outstrips mine.

Edited by JamboAl

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

You missed White as another LB option assuming he regains his fitness.

Smith and Godinho albeit have played there are not really LB's.