Anyone for Tennis?

ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

You are correct about competition.  You had Dimitrov, Nishikori and Raonic around the same stage threatening but never happened for them.  Now you have the next stage of talented players like Zverev, Kyrigos and Tsitsipas but they seem to be going backwards at the moment.

No male tennis player born in the  90's has won a grand slam.  Amazing stat.

Yeah there is a worrying dearth of younger talent in the mens game.  I thought Dimitrov might be the next big thing but he like the others u mentioned have petered out. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

There is no real reason to not like Federer yet I just can't warm to him whilst admitting he is one of the best there has ever been

I think it's perhaps all those 'hoorays' who appear at Wimbledon and even support him over fellow Brits...just can't understand that.

It's not his fault of course but it just irks me enough to hope he is beaten just to stick 2 fingers up at those middle and upper class yobs

My sentiments exactly

25 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm all for equal pay for the women but they should be playing 5 sets.

55 minutes vs 5 hours just puts it into perspective. It's a joke.

Just means we can get bored for another 27.5 minutes

rudi must stay

High quality match

Federer rolled back the years with his tennis. Very unlucky. People say Djokovic has lost his invisible aura but I'm not sure, 2 match points up Federer still didn't really believe he could beat him in my opinion. Murray was the same v him in the French in 2016, absolutely dominating him but I don't think he believed he could win. Even when he's on the ropes it's in these guys heads that hes not going away. Like him or loathe him he is a very interesting sportsman you have to say

Malinga the Swinga

Good to see the Wimbledon crowd get the result they deserve instead of the one they wanted. The guy who continually jumped up, he was right in front of camera opposite Royal box, whenever Federer won point must have been gutted which is pleasing, but he wasn't alone. The Roger brigade were out in full force but Novak has a winning run against Federer that shows no sign of ending. Not sure how many years it is since Federer beat Djokovic but he won't have many better chances than today.

One final point, why does Andrew Castle get to commentate and criticise on players like these two?The guy wasn't fit to carry their racquets onto a court. 

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Good to see the Wimbledon crowd get the result they deserve instead of the one they wanted. The guy who continually jumped up, he was right in front of camera opposite Royal box, whenever Federer won point must have been gutted which is pleasing, but he wasn't alone. The Roger brigade were out in full force but Novak has a winning run against Federer that shows no sign of ending. Not sure how many years it is since Federer beat Djokovic but he won't have many better chances than today.

One final point, why does Andrew Castle get to commentate and criticise on players like these two?The guy wasn't fit to carry their racquets onto a court. 

Funnily enough I was thinking the same about that guy too. Of course he could of been Swiss but I just felt that at the end (although Novak got a great applause) he must of really wanted to turn round and say something he would of likely regretted.

ive nothing for or against either player today and both were immense. But that was bad taste today.  Djokovic probably used it in his favour ironically 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Taffin said:

I'm all for equal pay for the women but they should be playing 5 sets.

55 minutes vs 5 hours just puts it into perspective. It's a joke.

55 minutes is quite enough of that pap, thank you very much!

Who'd want to see one more set of it?

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Why should the commentator have to be as good a player as the people upon whom he commentates? He's a very shrewd observer of the game and quite eloquent with it. Perhaps not everyone's cuppa tea but nowhere near as bad as the vast majority of football commentators or pundits - many of whom achieved significantly more in their playing careers than Castle did in his.

Tommy Brown
On 10/07/2019 at 17:10, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Konta is extremely dislikeable and always full of excuses. Right up there with Chris Froome for British sports people I can’t stand.

Just sat and watched my recording.

It ****ing cut off at 9-9 in last set.

:sob:

Between that and the way the cricket ended, I don't know what upset me more. 

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Line judge

IMG_20190714_200822.jpg

Looks like oor Austin has let himself go a bit in the close season. 

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Why should the commentator have to be as good a player as the people upon whom he commentates? He's a very shrewd observer of the game and quite eloquent with it. Perhaps not everyone's cuppa tea but nowhere near as bad as the vast majority of football commentators or pundits - many of whom achieved significantly more in their playing careers than Castle did in his.

I agree with you and Mal. But when I think about it, it would have to be Nadal and Sampras as the commentary team. Feck that! :D

JudyJudyJudy
11 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Castle is a good commentator. He is very knowledgeable about players and great re stats and the history of them.  He doesnt talk gibberish like Inverdale who is an absolute cretin. Same with Balding. Both need binned. 

With his style of tennis and how little impact it seems to have on his body I think Roger Federer still has a good 2 years of top level tennis in him. He could be still playing into his forties beating guys half his age with ease. 

As for Novak the guys a machine. Credit where it's due...don't like him but he is one of the best tennis players of all tim. 

19 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Line judge

IMG_20190714_200822.jpg

Think big Craig's going to have word with Austin when he gets back. Should be focused on the new season

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Castle is a good commentator. He is very knowledgeable about players and great re stats and the history of them.  He doesnt talk gibberish like Inverdale who is an absolute cretin. Same with Balding. Both need binned. 

You couldn't possibly ditch Balding from the BBC in these enlightened days.

Now, getting rid of Inverdale, the middle aged white, heterosexual man - piece of cake.

JudyJudyJudy
On 15/07/2019 at 16:26, I P Knightley said:

Now, getting rid of Inverdale, the middle aged white, heterosexual man - piece of cake.

I have no interest in the sexuality of commentators.  Only in their competence as commentators or hosts and both are absolute dire.   Your " posting" reeks of sarcasm obviously , making a point when there was really no point to make

rudi must stay
On 15/07/2019 at 16:26, I P Knightley said:

Wouldn't shock me if Balding was binned. She's had her glory years where everything she said was incredible and informative, she'll be back presenting the horse racing soon