• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• rudi must stay

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

SpruceBringsteen

Middle class sport for the terminably dull. Everyone can have a tantrum if they want, I deal in fact only. ?

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Did Wimbledon used to be in June or have I imagined that?

It used to be last week of June, forest week of July. I vaguely recall one of the Americans winning it on 4th of July. Probably Sampras or Williams.

1 hour ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Middle class sport for the terminably dull. Everyone can have a tantrum if they want, I deal in fact only. ?

This year's brought young British hope (Paul Jubb) is from outside the stereotypical middle class kid mould. There's some hope - but not much. 

Captain Sausage

Got men’s quarter final centre court tickets in the ballot. 4 from front next to Royal Box. 

:pleasing:

Harry Potter
35 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Got men’s quarter final centre court tickets in the ballot. 4 from front next to Royal Box. 

Enjoy, they would not be cheap.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not if I am forced to watch doubles. 

Nothing worse! 

Captain Sausage
11 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Enjoy, they would not be cheap.

£180 each, but debenture equivalents are like £3000 each! 

Everyone I've spoken to said it was worth it for the experience. Looking forward to it!

Ron Burgundy

Stopped watching it years ago when it became so predictable.

Does Pete Sampras still win every year?

I'll be outrageous and say either Djokovic or Federer will win the men's.  The new breed will flatter to deceive yet again.

The women's draw will at least be a bit less predictable. 

The two week bore fest begins.

Would rather sit and watch the grass on the courts grow than watch the shitefest that plays on it.

dull dull dull dull.

33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Would rather sit and watch the grass on the courts grow than watch the shitefest that plays on it.

dull dull dull dull.

I'm not even the slightest bit surprised you posted this. Just give up sport man, stick to knitting and crochet, much more your level.

Samuel Camazzola
40 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

dull dull dull dull.

You'll love the Ashes when it starts. ?

Robbo-Jambo
2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

£180 each, but debenture equivalents are like £3000 each! 

Everyone I've spoken to said it was worth it for the experience. Looking forward to it!

Pity it will be about another £180 for a beer and a couple of strawberries. :cornette_dog:

Enjoy the experience sure it will be fantastic .:icon14:

The Grand Slams are the worst.

French Open is nothing but empty seats unless Federer is playing.

Aussie Open is full of drunken loutish arseholes that think it's a rugby match.

US Open has a disgustingly partisan crowd of utter welts.

Wimbledon is a mix of the blue rinse brigade and trust fund enabled hooray henry/henriettas getting smashed on Pimms and who think it's like Glastonbury.

The fact that the game itself is in a shit state right now doesn't help.

Bursd tennis is god awful and every match is decided on who makes the least unforced errors rather than somebody actually being good.

Lad's tennis has a serious lack of talent outwith the top three or four.

Federer, Nadal and Murray are either getting old or have huge injury problem (or both).

Edited by Cade

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Pity it will be about another £180 for a beer and a couple of strawberries. :cornette_dog:

Enjoy the experience sure it will be fantastic .:icon14:

:jjno:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Wimbledon is a mix of the blue rinse brigade and trust fund enabled hooray henry/henriettas getting smashed on Pimms and who think it's like Glastonbury.

Bursd tennis is god awful and every match is decided on who makes the least unforced errors rather than somebody actually being good.

Federer, Nadal and Murray are either getting old or have huge injury problem (or both).

The noise the two birds playing earlier were making - honest to god. **** watching that

Captain Sausage
12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

So you're sitting next to Kate eh ? 

:oohmatron:

Close enough to sniff her hair. 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

All true but seemingly unless you have physically been to Wimbledon you are clueless in your opinion.

been here before
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

All true but seemingly unless you have physically been to Wimbledon you are clueless in your opinion.

You dragging your made up shite from one thread into this one?

Seriously how much attention do you need?

Edited by been here before

2 hours ago, jambovambo said:

Tsitsipas and Fabbiano on court 2 is a cracking game.

And there's one of the hyped up new breed dumped out.

The cynic in me thinks Venus is chucking this game.

The young lass is playing well, has a decent serve, but really she doesn't have the power in her shots that should be troubling Venus.

Going down to the local courts in my new white outfit to whack a few balls tomorrow. Wimbledon is summertime strawberries and cream, pimms and stuck up snobs I love it.anyone for tennis.?☀️

rudi must stay
5 hours ago, neilnunb said:

The cynic in me thinks Venus is chucking this game.

The young lass is playing well, has a decent serve, but really she doesn't have the power in her shots that should be troubling Venus.

Venus is a poor player now in my opinion. Very overrated

Gauff temperament is very impressive though. Let's see how far she goes

49 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Venus is a poor player now in my opinion. Very overrated

Gauff temperament is very impressive though. Let's see how far she goes

Shes 39 and 44th in the World. Once of the greatest ever but clearly on the way out, however, it's only two years since she got to two GS finals and a semi so not sure why you're surprised folk expected her to win this one. 

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Murray to bump Serena for her less annoying sister plz.

Now that Venus is out, there'll be a bit more pressure on Serena to double up with Murray. US TV won't put money into the tournament unless the great Merkin public have a chance to watch one of their heroes. I'd imagine the AELTC are waving large cheques under Serena's nose to get into the mixed dubs and they'll put her on Centre Court.

rudi must stay
9 hours ago, The Brow said:

Shes 39 and 44th in the World. Once of the greatest ever but clearly on the way out, however, it's only two years since she got to two GS finals and a semi so not sure why you're surprised folk expected her to win this one. 

I didn't expect her to. But I'm no authority figure on woman's tennis. FWIW I hope Sloane Stevens has a good run, excellent player technically just needs to have a bit more self belief

Governor Tarkin
15 hours ago, Crete said:

Going down to the local courts in my new white outfit to whack a few balls tomorrow. Wimbledon is summertime strawberries and cream, pimms and stuck up snobs I love it.anyone for tennis.?☀️

rudi must stay

Evans on. He is a fighter and will have a decent run this year IMO, assuming the draw is good to him (can't be bothered looking)

Edmund plays Verdasco that's a tough draw early on. Initial thoughts are he could lose that one

rudi must stay

Kyrgios on v Thompson, to be fair Thompson is adding to it, really going for it. Maybe not always the best shot choice Nick Kyrgios but insane level of talent. I can imagine playing him you could walk off the court feeling outclassed as a player

rudi must stay

For Harris to be living with Federer's pace and shotmaking is exceptional.

Looks like a star in the making whatever happens

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Evans on. He is a fighter and will have a decent run this year IMO, assuming the draw is good to him (can't be bothered looking)

Edmund plays Verdasco that's a tough draw early on. Initial thoughts are he could lose that one

Evans is having a great grass court season; Verdasco has been one of the better Spaniards on grass but he's still really a clay courter who's good on hard courts. I'd put my 50p on Evans to win it.

JudyJudyJudy

I love tennis.  Yes Wimbles is elitist and always has been.  The mens game is fairly predictable with Fed Nadal and Docky in it to win it. The women's ( not Burdz) game more wide open.  Might me the year Serena wins the elusive 24th slam to tie with that old crabbit homophobe Margaret Court. Be good if she could but plenty in the field who can beat her i feel. 

Genuinely believe tennis would be far more interesting with football-like crowds.

Picture a player about to serve when the the crowd shouts “Ooooooohhhh YOU’RE SHIT AAHHHHHH”.

See how well Djokovic plays when a coin bounces off his coupon.

Hurling abuse at the umpire and questioning his parentage.

You get my drift. ???

Robbo-Jambo
18 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I love tennis.  Yes Wimbles is elitist and always has been.  The mens game is fairly predictable with Fed Nadal and Docky in it to win it. The women's ( not Burdz) game more wide open.  Might me the year Serena wins the elusive 24th slam to tie with that old crabbit homophobe Margaret Court. Be good if she could but plenty in the field who can beat her i feel. 

Docky ?