In Praise of Spanish Lager...

Deodato

We kick off July,  which means a good few of us will be kicking back in Spain for a few weeks. 

This thread allows us to knowledge-share our best cerveza's that this fine country serves from the fridge. 

The rules? Pick two and add one tapas dish to complement the taste buds. 

1) Alhambra Lager, a cool plain green bottle, available in Scotmid (WTF) and widely considered the best. I can't find anything that gets close. 

2) Mahou Lager, super strong - one small can and you'll halfway there. During the heat waves. essential to carp out for a decent siesta. 

3) Tapas... Boquerones, best served in the Malaga region, perfect for making that lager taste even better. 

What's yours?

Deodato

image.jpeg.bfa36f494a3d9211384c72ef2bd4aa5c.jpeg

Roxy Hearts

Pint of Alhambra out of Cafe Andaluz and Estrella Damm. 

Pollo Rebozado con Miel and Albondigas. 

Rick James

Apart from a free case of San Miguel Fresca I got given, I don't think I've really tried Spanish lager. Might've tried Estrella once.

Portuguese lager though. :jjyay:

2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Pint of Alhambra out of Cafe Andaluz and Estrella Damm. 

Pollo Rebozado con Miel and Albondigas. 

Now both gasping for a beer and hungry. Agree with your selections 100%, cheers! ?

15 hours ago, jonesy said:

Lived in Catalonia, but not an Estrella Damm fan. I'd have to go for Mahou. And keep it simple with the tapa - some good ham or cheese and bread. If I was somewhere fancy, I'd probably go for gambas al ajillo. 

Me too.  (Barcelona).

Love Estrella Damm and also Estrella Galicia. There’s also a good wee lager called St. Morirz.

Agree with you about keeping the tapa simple, an expensive Jamon Iberico and some well aged Manchego is really all you need. Lovely also washed down with a large Fino.

As for your Gambas al ajillo, I’d go for Gambas pil pil. :thumbsup:

Budgie's Boyfriend

:)In August I will be holidaying in Alhaurín de la Torre for 7 days then to Cútar for 4 , I like beer so this thread is interesting ....Cheers ?

Салатные палочки

Tropical is a very nice beer when drunk in the heat of the Canaries. 

Sooperstar
34 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Tropical is a very nice beer when drunk in the heat of the Canaries. 

Pretty sure that's the cheap lager in Cuba?

Салатные палочки
3 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Pretty sure that's the cheap lager in Cuba?

Never been to Cuba but it was on tap at the hotel I stayed at in Gran Canaria last year. 

Sooperstar
1 minute ago, Salad Fingers said:

Never been to Cuba but it was on tap at the hotel I stayed at in Gran Canaria last year. 

Just checked. It is the one I was thinking of. About 50p a bottle from bars over there. Enjoyed it though.

scott herbertson
On 30/06/2019 at 23:02, Deodato said:

We kick off July,  which means a good few of us will be kicking back in Spain for a few weeks. 

This thread allows us to knowledge-share our best cerveza's that this fine country serves from the fridge. 

1) Alhambra Lager, a cool plain green bottle, available in Scotmid (WTF) and widely considered the best. I can't find anything that gets close. 

2) Mahou Lager, super strong - one small can and you'll halfway there. During the heat waves. essential to carp out for a decent siesta. 

3) Tapas... Boquerones, best served in the Malaga region, perfect for making that lager taste even better. 

What's yours?

Deodato

Brought back memories of 1982 in Spain at the World cup. Most scots were staying in Torremolinas and on the way to the New zealand game the train was swaying to the sound of a thousand scots singing "San Miguel, San Miguel. San Miguel" to the tune of here we go as the train shuttled past the san Miguel brwery

Not the best beer by any means but quantity made up for quality that summer - doesn't seem like 37 years ago

On 03/07/2019 at 23:26, scott herbertson said:

Brought back memories of 1982 in Spain at the World cup. Most scots were staying in Torremolinas and on the way to the New zealand game the train was swaying to the sound of a thousand scots singing "San Miguel, San Miguel. San Miguel" to the tune of here we go as the train shuttled past the san Miguel brwery

Not the best beer by any means but quantity made up for quality that summer - doesn't seem like 37 years ago

There are some hilarious stories about the Tartan Army on that trip. I can't imagine. 

One I heard on 'Off the Ball' went like this: two guys from Cambuslang went to support their country in Spain, cheering on Scotland at every turn and becoming heroes of the campaign. When they got home, they realised someone had stolen their car. The Daily Record got behind the campaign, echoing the disgust from the local community that, while two fine lads were cheering on their nation, some scumbag had the audacity to steal their car. The campaign gathered legs, and then came to a grinding halt. Why? Because the local police learned from their Spanish counterparts that they had actually driven there and got so drunk they forgot about their car on the way home!!!

One of the very best, if anyone can beat that and I'll bring back a crate of Mahou from my in-laws. 

scott herbertson
19 minutes ago, Deodato said:

There are some hilarious stories about the Tartan Army on that trip. I can't imagine. 

One I heard on 'Off the Ball' went like this: two guys from Cambuslang went to support their country in Spain, cheering on Scotland at every turn and becoming heroes of the campaign. When they got home, they realised someone had stolen their car. The Daily Record got behind the campaign, echoing the disgust from the local community that, while two fine lads were cheering on their nation, some scumbag had the audacity to steal their car. The campaign gathered legs, and then came to a grinding halt. Why? Because the local police learned from their Spanish counterparts that they had actually driven there and got so drunk they forgot about their car on the way home!!!

One of the very best, if anyone can beat that and I'll bring back a crate of Mahou from my in-laws. 

Good one

I rememeber reading in the Daily Record in 78 a guy tried to hire or buy  a decommisioned submarine to take him and his mates to Agrgentina which would probably have been the story to top them all if it came off

A funny one i heard is in italy 90,  8 of my brothers mates apparently were in a rough little town . When they asked about bars were told there was only one and it was locals only, they wouldn't be welcome.

So the big chief goes into the bar and is carefully ignored by the guy behind it and the punters. He  then bellows out "High Ho"

Everybody stares at him

He does the " High Ho" again

strange looks from everyone and a stirring of discontent

He does the High Ho again and there is a feint echo from outside.

The door bursts open and 7 guys in kilts on their knees shuffle in, singing "High Ho, High Ho its off to work we go....."

Cue laughter all round pints poured by the barman and another fine evening..

On 30/06/2019 at 23:02, Deodato said:

What's yours?

Deodato

Spanish beer is awful

Budgie's Boyfriend
23 minutes ago, JamboSpur said:

Spanish beer is awful

What beer do you like ?

Jambos_1874

Drinking some Estrella Galicia now; quite like it. Had a Mahou earlier. Very smooth but a but tasteless. Bottom line is that if it's a roasting hot day in the south of Spain a Spanish beer tastes great. Portuguese beer is absolutely awful, with Sagres being amongst the worst I've tasted.

1 hour ago, JamboSpur said:

Spanish beer is awful

And your experience of this sweeping statement is?

2 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Drinking some Estrella Galicia now; quite like it. Had a Mahou earlier. Very smooth but a but tasteless. Bottom line is that if it's a roasting hot day in the south of Spain a Spanish beer tastes great. Portuguese beer is absolutely awful, with Sagres being amongst the worst I've tasted.

I’d be interested to know what ABV Estrella Galicia it is you’re drinking?

Jambos_1874
1 minute ago, Morgan said:

I’d be interested to know what ABV Estrella Galicia it is you’re drinking?

5.5%. Is that not standard? Or is their export version less?

Just now, Jambos_1874 said:

5.5%. Is that not standard? Or is their export version less?

5.5% is exactly what I thought!

The reason I asked is that sometimes I’ve seen it as low as 4.6% and wondered if you were getting the ‘real McCoy’.

Cheers for your reply btw, where are you just now?

Jambos_1874
11 minutes ago, Morgan said:

5.5% is exactly what I thought!

The reason I asked is that sometimes I’ve seen it as low as 4.6% and wondered if you were getting the ‘real McCoy’.

Cheers for your reply btw, where are you just now?

Madrid. If you can recommend a Madrid beer (assuming you are ITK!!) that would be appreciated. Don't mind if it's even a shitey Tennents-esqe equivalent. I think Mahou may be Madrid though actually....

DarthVodka
29 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Madrid. If you can recommend a Madrid beer (assuming you are ITK!!) that would be appreciated. Don't mind if it's even a shitey Tennents-esqe equivalent. I think Mahou may be Madrid though actually....

‘There are loads of good pubs in Madrid with various local beers. Was far too intoxicated to remember their names though

partial to an ice cold cruzcampo whilst in the sizzling streets of Sevilla

Jambos_1874
2 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

‘There are loads of good pubs in Madrid with various local beers. Was far too intoxicated to remember their names though

partial to an ice cold cruzcampo whilst in the sizzling streets of Sevilla

Was in Seville earlier this year and I agree a cold Cruzcampo is superb. Was in Malaga too and found a Cruzcampo pub and was surprised at the number of variants of Cruzcampo there are, including some IPAs which are my favourite. I have a Spanish friend and apparently Cruzcampo is called "donkey's piss" by the Spanish!!

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Good one

I rememeber reading in the Daily Record in 78 a guy tried to hire or buy  a decommisioned submarine to take him and his mates to Agrgentina which would probably have been the story to top them all if it came off

A funny one i heard is in italy 90,  8 of my brothers mates apparently were in a rough little town . When they asked about bars were told there was only one and it was locals only, they wouldn't be welcome.

So the big chief goes into the bar and is carefully ignored by the guy behind it and the punters. He  then bellows out "High Ho"

Everybody stares at him

He does the " High Ho" again

strange looks from everyone and a stirring of discontent

He does the High Ho again and there is a feint echo from outside.

The door bursts open and 7 guys in kilts on their knees shuffle in, singing "High Ho, High Ho its off to work we go....."

Cue laughter all round pints poured by the barman and another fine evening..

Certain I remember reading that was a piss take or a con, submarine didn't actually exist

scott herbertson
7 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Certain I remember reading that was a piss take or a con, submarine didn't actually exist

I think it did exist but was never really a possibility to get it - kind of madcap scheme thought about after a session in the pub

Doctor FinnBarr
4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I think it did exist but was never really a possibility to get it - kind of madcap scheme thought about after a session in the pub

Vlad involved?

1 minute ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Vlad involved?

Wouldn't be surprised if there were thirteen new captains of the sub in less than one season. 

scott herbertson
Just now, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Vlad involved?

Not in the session in the pub, but would have been useful if it had come off.

In fact if he had been around Scotland in 1978 he'd probably have thought about it first and done it!*

*with someone else's money

Doctor FinnBarr
7 minutes ago, Deodato said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there were thirteen new captains of the sub in less than one season. 

6 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Not in the session in the pub, but would have been useful if it had come off.

In fact if he had been around Scotland in 1978 he'd probably have thought about it first and done it!*

*with someone else's money

Thanks guys, PMSL, my faith in humanity has been restored

13 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Mahon is the one I would have said.

Enjoy yourself!

• 7 months later...
On 04/07/2019 at 01:02, jonesy said:

Not going to argue with your gambas pil pil. A good ham or cheese is better than a lot of the more fancy tapas, though. This is the first year I haven't been to Spain for work/living since 2012, and I'm definitely missing the place!

Was never a big fan of the city of Barcelona. I lived in Vic, about an hour up the road. Proper Catalan town, ardent separatists. My elder son started his education there, so I'll always have a soft spot for it - poor wee bugger didn't understand a word! Some great bars and restaurants, too, and of course, if you've had too much beer, there's always the ratafia!

Worked in Manlleu, which was a weird little place.

Hi Jonesy,

we are thinking of going to Vic in March or April and I remembered this post of yours from last year.  How safe is Vic for tourists?

Thanks, Morgan

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Yeah, safe and nice place to visit for a few hours. Best to ditch the car on the outskirts and wander about or take a RENFE from Barcelona. 

Can’t remember too much about it at that time of year as my wife was heavily pregnant when were living there. Drop me a PM nearer the time and I can recommend restaurants etc.

Some nice walks around and just outside if you’re into that (Creu de Gurb a great view over the whole valley). 

A day is probably enough time to spend there, though. 

Thanks very much.

I will certainly PM you if/when we decide to go.

On 03/07/2019 at 16:32, PortyJambo said:

Local tapas restaurant to me sells Alhambra Reserva, lovely bottle of beer, both in looks and taste.

The Malvarosa, lovely wee place, highly recommend it, but don't all go at once.

Selkirk_Jambo

Mahou is terrific, as is Estrella Damm. 

Tapas has to be Morcilla de Leon, its like a looser, creamier version of black pudding. Absolutely outstanding.