Olly Lee looking to leave ( updated )

MaskedMarauder

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Peebo said:

Just because some people can cope with greater hardships or longer periods of absence from their families etc. does not mean everyone in well paid jobs and nice lifestyles will be immune from homesickness. 

I agree - everybody is different.

I'm away from home all the time and it doesn't get any easier. It's also a sacrifice I'm unwilling to make now but I have to consider what's best.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nookie Bear

• JamboAl

• Pasquale for King

• Maroon Sailor

Lee started the season well. The Motherwell league cup game stands out for me. Lee, Haring, Naisy and Morrison gave us a nice balance and structure. Motherwell away Djoum came in and Lee never really played the role he started the season in. That's not to say he hasn't been poor at times. But in the right balance he did reasonably well for us. Not saying he was amazing but not god awful either. But maybe his departure Harry and Irving get more game time

letsmakesomenoise
On 29/06/2019 at 19:02, HillmanHearts said:

Some pretty harsh stuff on this thread about Olly.

He's a decent football player and he made a fair contribution especially first half of last season. 

I don't think he's lazy, I just think he finds it difficult to play a high tempo, pressing game. Just maybe not naturally super fit and also maybe wants a bit too much time on the ball.

It's not quite worked out and maybe he's also found it hard to settle domestically.

Don't think this was a bad signing - sometimes it just doesn't quite work out.

Seems a nice bloke too - so if he goes then there's no acrimony from me.

And I'll remember that fecken peach V the Vermin with great fondness.

For gods sake, he's not moved to Ootofthisworldistan, it’s Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, with fantastic transport links to the rest of the UK.

I like Olly as a player, but there is no doubt the midfield slows down when he's playing.  Don't see why we should let him go for zip though.

48 minutes ago, Peebo said:

So they’ve a choice where they want to move to, but if they exercise that to be closer to home, that’s nonsense? 

Didn't someone on here post that they had been at some function (possibly POTY or HOF) and heard Lee being less than complimentary about the coaches / manager? 

Just now, iainmac said:

Didn't someone on here post that they had been at some function (possibly POTY or HOF) and heard Lee being less than complimentary about the coaches / manager? 

Pass. 

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, rick witter said:

If we get them both off the books then I would agree to combine that wage and get a real quality midfielder in. We desperately need to find someone who can control games and dictate the play for us for next season. 

Agree with this. Need someone who’ll pull the strings 

Maroon Sailor
20 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Agree with this. Need someone who’ll pull the strings 

IMG_4075.JPG

5 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Have you scored 6 goals, assisted in 12 for your team this season and helped your team to it's first final in 6 years and also scored a left foot pinger that won the game away to your city rivals, your teams first win there in 5 years? 

Did you also move leagues and country and it was your first season? 

If yes, your sarcasm may have a point. 

If not, you're probably like me, not a pro player and are shite at football. 

I do actually blame the other players not being on the same level, was sticking up for Olly...it’s hard to shine when others around are not on the same level

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

I do actually blame the other players not being on the same level, was sticking up for Olly...it’s hard to shine when others around are not on the same level

That sounds like you think he was too good for us and we brought him down to our level

Decent lad Ollie and his family seem really decent as well . 

Probably a bit of home sickness and his agent telling him there has been interest from down south tbh . Will be away in the next couple of weeks and will walk straight into another club . 

Goes with most fair minded peoples best wishes I would imagine . 

1 hour ago, letsmakesomenoise said:

For gods sake, he's not moved to Ootofthisworldistan, it’s Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, with fantastic transport links to the rest of the UK.

I like Olly as a player, but there is no doubt the midfield slows down when he's playing.  Don't see why we should let him go for zip though.

Sometimes the bigger picture comes into play and by allowing Lee to go for free rather than demanding a fee that we may not get is better than keeping an unhappy player. It also paints the club in a positive light meaning others targets may be more willing to sign for a club that is seen as being fair and honest with players.

2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They should try doing 6 month deployments or 4 months tours of duties.

Used to make me laugh on these celebrity reality shows as well when I heard they were homesick. They could be away for a week from their loved ones.

Footballers have got it made in comparison. 

Aye, whoever heard of a serviceman/woman getting homesick eh?

:sarcasm:

Edit: Sorry, should have finished reading the thread.

Edited by graygo

11 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Decent lad Ollie and his family seem really decent as well . 

Probably a bit of home sickness and his agent telling him there has been interest from down south tbh . Will be away in the next couple of weeks and will walk straight into another club . 

Goes with most fair minded peoples best wishes I would imagine . 

Spot on

chester copperpot
7 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Disappointing. No one missed Naismith more last season than Lee because his intelligent runs created space and time for Lee to play in. With a fully fit Naismith I would have had Lee as first choice beside Haring.

I know we have our differences mate, but I totally agree.

Jambof3tornado
2 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

They should try doing 6 month deployments or 4 months tours of duties.

Used to make me laugh on these celebrity reality shows as well when I heard they were homesick. They could be away for a week from their loved ones.

Footballers have got it made in comparison. 

This. Had to laugh at the comment about wives being lonely.

I went to the gulf for 4 months and left mrs jf3t with a young child while she tried to finish her mental health nursing degree at uni!!

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Naismith manages ok, he brings the others up nearer to his level. He did that with Lee and when he wasn’t there to do it, and Uche wasn’t there to hold the ball up for him to haul his arse forward he was largely ineffective. Levein tried him further forward and it worked at Easter Road, Naismith was there though. 

You can’t blame the others for his poor play, poor first touch and inability to be fit enough to last for 90 minutes without taking a breather at set pieces. 

He’s no great loss but thanks for the ER goal and good luck to him.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Naismith manages ok, he brings the others up nearer to his level. He did that with Lee and when he wasn’t there to do it, and Uche wasn’t there to hold the ball up for him to haul his arse forward he was largely ineffective. Levein tried him further forward and it worked at Easter Road, Naismith was there though. 

You can’t blame the others for his poor play, poor first touch and inability to be fit enough to last for 90 minutes without taking a breather at set pieces. 

He’s no great loss but thanks for the ER goal and good luck to him.

Think a lot had to do with the injuries in our team and the subsequent drop in form of the team...he is not good enough but would happily keep him as an option, assume this is not something he wants to do....I personally would prefer to utilise our youngsters 

Had high hopes for Lee as he was regularly the stand-out for Luton on the EFL highlights show the previous season but hasn't had nearly enough impact on games the longer the season went on. No danger we will be getting a fee for him though no matter where he goes,. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, salvo69 said:

Think a lot had to do with the injuries in our team and the subsequent drop in form of the team...he is not good enough but would happily keep him as an option, assume this is not something he wants to do....I personally would prefer to utilise our youngsters 

Definitely, I think the combination of that and the homesickness is why he will leave. The problem for us is missing out on targets whilst he gets fit and finds another club and the Djoum situation.

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

This. Had to laugh at the comment about wives being lonely.

I went to the gulf for 4 months and left mrs jf3t with a young child while she tried to finish her mental health nursing degree at uni!!

Maybe his wife doesn’t have those two things to keep her occupied while he’s up here, sounds like you picked a good one though.

I worked on the rigs when I was 20 and was only away for two weeks but was homesick, it can affect folk in different ways I suppose. I would imagine Luton and the outlying areas are slightly different from Edinburgh and Kirknewton too.

Jambof3tornado
9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe his wife doesn’t have those two things to keep her occupied while he’s up here, sounds like you picked a good one though.

I worked on the rigs when I was 20 and was only away for two weeks but was homesick, it can affect folk in different ways I suppose. I would imagine Luton and the outlying areas are slightly different from Edinburgh and Kirknewton too.

If his family are unhappy then they come first. I certainly wouldnt hold it against him.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It's funny how folk can react differently to these situations.  Years ago, I had a boss who had move from West Yorkshire to take on a role in Edinburgh.  This guy was put up in a lovely old fashioned flat on North Bank Street, right across from the Bank of Scotland Head Office on The Mound.

If it had been me, I'd have loved it, living in the centre of Edinburgh with all that it has to offer.  However, he could never wait to get back home at the weekend and never once brought his wife and kids up to stay the weekend in Edinburgh.  He eventually managed to engineer a move back to West Yorkshire after about 9 months.  It obviously just wasn't for him!

Heartsofgold
3 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

What's this nonsense about homesickness, footballers and their partners have it easy, they work about 4 hours a day, have a great network of social/support from club and other players, they're paid a whack so can travel whenever they wish.  Key detail is they have the choice within reason to where they want to move to.  To me it stinks of someone who knows they're out there depth and can't be bothered fighting for it.

Are you for ****ing real?!?!?

Edited by Heartsofgold

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, RobNox said:

It's funny how folk can react differently to these situations.  Years ago, I had a boss who had move from West Yorkshire to take on a role in Edinburgh.  This guy was put up in a lovely old fashioned flat on North Bank Street, right across from the Bank of Scotland Head Office on The Mound.

If it had been me, I'd have loved it, living in the centre of Edinburgh with all that it has to offer.  However, he could never wait to get back home at the weekend and never once brought his wife and kids up to stay the weekend in Edinburgh.  He eventually managed to engineer a move back to West Yorkshire after about 9 months.  It obviously just wasn't for him!

Just seems to be the way. He was a big fish down there too and we are notoriously hard to please.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If his family are unhappy then they come first. I certainly wouldnt hold it against him.

Definitely. Good luck to the guy.

On 29/06/2019 at 17:36, MaskedMarauder said:

Aye 3yr contract when we signed him from Luton. He was living next door to Michael Smith and his wife by all accounts was lonely as anything up here. Couldn’t make any friends except from Michael’s wife but they are expecting their 2nd child any week now. Surely if he was just moving house his wife and boy would be up here with him? Even living in a hotel like they did for the first month he moved up here. 

He doesn't live next door to Smith! Oli rents a Cala house in Kirkliston, Smith rents a Barratt house, they're maybe a mile apart at most.  Oli told the owners he wasn't renewing the lease a while back but nobody thought anything of it.

In other news - Michael Smith becomes a dad again on the glorious 12th of July ;)

?? ITK :)

14 hours ago, RobNox said:

Yorkshireman in Edinburgh. It would be far too expensive for him.

I for one one wish him all the best. He’s one of the few in the team who can actually cross the ball accurately. But if he’s unhappy it’s best he moves on.

Had a good start to the season in our decent run. Started to go missing in the games he played in after Christmas - apart from his cracking goal against Hibs. 

Would rather we replaced him with someone a bit more consistent

Bazzas right boot
17 hours ago, salvo69 said:

Appoligies, then I'm the daftie, although I wouldn't go as far as to say he's a level above, just that for him to be effective we need more forward options. 

Tbh, the whole midfield suffered due to that, but imo Lee a bit  more and his return was still decent, if not spectacular. 

Governor Tarkin
16 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Homesickness is for weak-minded-girlie-blokes, PfK.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Homesickness is for weak-minded-girlie-blokes, PfK.

I know a strong minded individual like yourself wouldn’t suffer this, or change your job slightly to be at home more ?

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I know a strong minded individual like yourself wouldn’t suffer this, or change your job slightly to be at home more ?

:D

Aye, fat lot of good that did too.

Look like I'll be spending just as long away with this one - without the bonus of all the time off when I'm at home.

Bugger.

On topic.

We should take suggestions for @Olly Lee's left boot 's new username then run a poll.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Look like I'll be spending just as long away with this one - without the bonus of all the time off when I'm at home.

Bugger.

On topic.

We should take suggestions for @Olly Lee's left boot 's new username then run a poll.

Bugger indeed ?.

Funnily enough I was wondering what his next incarnation would be?

Washington for President.

Walkers back. 

Whites Shite.

Halketts haircut.

Naismiths Knee.

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bugger.

On topic.

I'd be up for that. 

??

Can see that going one way, and quickly. 

Edging towards Washington at the moment. 

Waiting until transfer business is done, tho. 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Bugger indeed ?.

Walkers back. 

Whites Shite.

Halketts haircut.

Naismiths Knee.

Naismiths knee?

If Halkett can boot it really long, might go with Hallkets right catapult. 

Washington is my inclanition just now, tho. 

Uche's right bicep is also under consideration. 

TyphoonJambo
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Bugger indeed ?.

Walkers back. 

Whites Shite.

Halketts haircut.

Naismiths Knee.

Cochrings sting

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Naismiths knee?

Halketts hoof?

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Cochrings sting

I’m sure they do, mines rattles ???.

...a bit disco
55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Bugger indeed ?.

Walkers back. 

Whites Shite.

Halketts haircut.

Naismiths Knee.

Edwards Banjo String.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, ...a bit disco said:

Edwards Banjo String.

Yeeeha we have a winner ?

...a bit disco
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yeeeha we have a winner ?

:thumbsup:

Inch Hearts
56 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Naismiths knee?

Washingtons Hoose

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Washingtons Hoose

2 for 1- Washington’s White Hoose ?

• 9 months later...

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/gillingham-keen-sign-hearts-midfielder-olly-lee-permanently-2547579

Friday, 24th April 2020, 7:35 am

Gillingham manager Steve Evans says he will be first in the queue to sign Olly Lee if the midfielder leaves Hearts this summer.

Lee spent last season on loan in England's League One and Evans wants him back permanently if he is deemed surplus to requirements at Tynecastle Park.

The 28-year-old hopes to re-establish himself in Scotland when football resumes following the coronavirus shutdown. His Hearts contract runs until 2021 but his future there is unclear.

He fell out of favour after a disagreement with former manager Craig Levein and was subsequently loaned out. He has yet to train or play under current manager Daniel Stendel, plus there is the uncertainty of whether the Edinburgh club will be relegated and need to cut squad size.

For now, Lee is planning to report to Riccarton whenever pre-season training starts. Evans told the Evening News he will watch with interest in case the Englishman becomes available.

"He has been very good for us and we'd love to keep him. We'd love to make him a permanent part of our squad, but of course Hearts are his bosses. That decision lies with the manager and directors at Hearts," said Evans.

"We would try and sign him if he was available. He's a brilliant professional and a good footballer. He would become really sharp again with a pre-season. I've always believed it's difficult for any player who misses a pre-season and Olly missed a lot of that last summer.

"When we finally got him in August, that time was gone and you can't really get it back. He got himself really fit and was doing extra sessions. The kid lives and breathes his football.

"I speak to him most days during this break and he is very fortunate to come from a football family with his dad [Rob, ex-England midfielder] and brother [Elliot, Luton Town striker]. They can still get involved in little games and one-v-ones to keep themselves sharp."

Lee scored six goals in 34 appearances for Gillingham before the season stopped and was a hugely popular figure with supporters at Priestfield Stadium.

"The fans loved him. We had him working incredibly hard," explained Evans. "The first thing my teams have always done over the years is work. If you don't work hard, you don't play.

"It's not stupid running, not running for the sake of running, but out of possession you need to be working hard. Then, when we are in possession, you need to be working even harder.

"Olly put a shift in for the team, going forward in possession and creating things. He is a very good player and our fans took to him. Everyone at the club did – players, staff, the lot. He is a dedicated young professional.

"When he first came to us it was going to take us a few weeks to get him back up to sharpness because he hadn't played for so long. He had been in with the kids and in the wilderness, really.

“He came to us and took to us, plus we took to him. He was excellent for us. I couldn't say anything different.”

Just thought I'd post that bit underlined.  Not sure it's true or if it even matters considering we might need to get rid of him due to a large wage.