Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

Mr Brightside
2 minutes ago, Boof said:

No - this was early 70s, end of season-ish I think.

It was said during the Bayern Munich game, but as a deliberate nod to the first use of the quote. I am not sure when it was first said but it wasn’t the Bayern Munich game.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

It was said during the Bayern Munich game, but as a deliberate nod to the first use of the quote. I am not sure when it was first said but it wasn’t the Bayern Munich game.

👍 Gotcha

23 minutes ago, Boof said:

No - this was early 70s, end of season-ish I think.

20 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Cheers, both!

2 hours ago, Boof said:

Aye, it is. Sam Leitch said so... from Wikipedia "Although the error has been attributed to commentators David Coleman or Frank Bough, it was Leitch who, when the Scottish football team Raith Rovers won a match, said "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight"."

Pretty sure Sam Leitch was Scottish so if he did say it, it would have been tongue in cheek.

Guess The Crowd
5 minutes ago, S Form said:

Pretty sure Sam Leitch was Scottish so if he did say it, it would have been tongue in cheek.

Correct. English born, but from a Scottish family.

Honestly don’t know who said it (or even if anyone did, might be an urban myth). 

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Seems about right.

Personally, I’ve never even heard of Sam Leitch.

Did football focus on BBC1 at lunchtime in the 70s when it came under Grandstand.

33 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sam Leitch used to be a BBC Producer for Grandstand, I seem to recall, and he occasionally presented. 

Ruddy faced bloke.

Funniest ever was Alan Weekes commentating on a Hearts European Tie and shouting out 'oh that's a great save by the goalminder'.

:lol:

25 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Did football focus on BBC1 at lunchtime in the 70s when it came under Grandstand.

Thanks, chaps.  :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Mon plaisir, mon ami. Comment ça va ?

Ca va  bien.

Et vous?

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, Davie Deans said:

I know of 3 subcontractors who have done work for hibs at Easter Rd over many years, who have recently been told by email, their services are no longer required.

All appears far from being well at the club.

Tick Tock.

Fingers crossed, mutant dogshites all of them.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

6 hours ago, Boof said:

Aye, it is. Sam Leitch said so... from Wikipedia "Although the error has been attributed to commentators David Coleman or Frank Bough, it was Leitch who, when the Scottish football team Raith Rovers won a match, said "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight"."

I think this was first said when Raith beat Celtic in the League Cup Final?

7 minutes ago, DavyH said:

I think this was first said when Raith beat Celtic in the League Cup Final?

Nope - as I said earlier, first time was sometime in the 70s. I do recall my mate telling me about it. It wouldn't surprise me if someone said it again in that LC final commentary, though.

I always associated the 'dancing in the streets of Raith' quote from Jimmy Greaves on the Saint and Greaves slot on World of Sport back in the seventies.

Might be mistaken of course.

It has been known ☺

WheatfieldWarrior
11 hours ago, smiler said:

Ronny, you know Raith's not a place mate 😀

Must mean the interchange on the M74. 

Dangerous place for dancing though.

Spoke to a couple of Hibs fans yesterday and they claimed to be happy they were debt free. I mentioned that unlike our situation, it wasn't their club and probably never would be. They also wanted rid of The Heck.

132goals1958
6 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

It wasn't John Motson, David Coleman, Sir Trevor McDonald, Kenneth Wolstenholme, Sir Alistair Burnett, Sid Waddell or even - wait for it - Shereen Nanjiani.

Nope, as we found out on Saturday's show, it was actually Sam Leitch - a Scottish presenter on the BBC in the 60s and 70s - who actually uttered the immortal words: "They'll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17014941

The late great Bill McLaren often used that  remark when describing a Scottish try. They will be dancing in the streets down in Gala / Hawick whichever place the try scorer was attached to.

2 minutes ago, gorgie rd eh11 said:

So when are Sterling, De Bruyne and Aguero arriving?

Hopefully next year when we face them in the Champions League.

Fraggle Rock

Spoke to a hibby while on holiday, and when i mentioned that Ron had them by the baws he got up grabbed his drink and fecked off leaving myself and his Mrs sitting there.

His wife said " i think he has had to much drink today , I better go bye" ....they are hurting big time.

Edited by EH16

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, Section Q said:

Spoke to a couple of Hibs fans yesterday and they claimed to be happy they were debt free. I mentioned that unlike our situation, it wasn't their club and probably never would be. They also wanted rid of The Heck.

Should have mentioned Ron the con taking out a security on everything they own. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Surely no coincidence that Ronald Gordon is an anagram of

“no gold, rod ran”

OR

“Rad Ron, no gold”

probably others too. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

:lol: 

Good old Ron!

2 hours ago, EH16 said:

Spoke to a hibby while on holiday, and when i mentioned that Ron had them by the baws he got up grabbed his drink and fecked off leaving myself and his Mrs sitting there.

His wife said " i think he has had to much drink today , I better go bye" ....they are hurting big time.

Hope you got a refund ! 

2 hours ago, EH16 said:

Take it you didnt go somewhere good?

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

My clansman Mr Gordon is no Andrew Carnegie.   I wonder where his ancestors originated from.

...a bit disco
3 hours ago, EH16 said:

You see all types at Seton Sands right enough.

:thumbsup:

TyphoonJambo
1 hour ago, dumpson said:

Hope you got a refund ! 

Think it was day release 

3 hours ago, EH16 said:

Should have pumped her

4 hours ago, EH16 said:

Think you mean sister......

7 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

And during said pumping sing Rudi Skacel is a ****in goal machine......

You mean some people don't ?

Coburg Hearts

I was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd lump it on here instead.

I wonder if FF, or someone who knows some of the finer details, can tell if any of the ramblings below has any merit? They seem to use their ownership of a field somewhere in the wilds as some kind of comfort blanket.

Surely it is better to rent a facility rated as one of the best in Europe, than own your own pigsty? (due apologies to said pigs)

Leither.

How does that mob manage with Oriam, then?

stantonsboots

Because they have no option, they are homeless when it comes to training facilities. So have to

pay top dollar to the university!

ozyhibbie

They have an amazingly cheap deal. 

They don’t pay top dollar. The money they pay HW is a lot less than it costs us to run East Mains.

90+2.

They rent it along with a lot of other people from a non profit charitable organisation.

No they don’t, (have to pay top dollar)  they landed on their feet with it being built up the road. They even got away with not paying them and bumping them as a creditor when they went into administration.

I don’t think that’s right.

wallpaperman.

Sure it was disclosed a while back that they pay (well, most the time) approx £500,000 a year to use the facilities, and that is broadly similar to what we pay to run East Mains each year.

Jeffers.

I find it hard to believe they pay the same to use a faciiity part time as we do for one we have exclusive use of.

Jacomo.

Why? You’d expect to pay more as a tenant rather than the owner, no?

Jeffers.

Not for something you don't have exclusive use of I wouldn't.

What sort of training ground is best. A new state of the art facility run in conjunction with a leading University on the outskirts of Edinburgh or a pitch built by laying a few inches of top soil on the ruins of a clapped out diary next to an outdoor pig farm run by a Deidco supporter near Ormiston.

Coburg Hearts
3 minutes ago, Prof said:

What sort of training ground is best. A new state of the art facility run in conjunction with a leading University on the outskirts of Edinburgh or a pitch built by laying a few inches of top soil on the ruins of a clapped out diary next to an outdoor pig farm run by a Deidco supporter near Ormiston.

Perfect summation. :2thumbsup:

Coburg Hearts
5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'll sum it up for the two heided, windae lickin' pervos. 

:leveinnaturalorder:

Jonno, as usual, knows the score.:smile:

Who_put_the_ball_in...
1 hour ago, Prof said:

In fairness they did their preseason gym work at pure gym fort Kinnaird it’s pretty nice 

6 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

In fairness they did their preseason gym work at pure gym fort Kinnaird it’s pretty nice 

Thats only because they signed up for a months free trial... budgets are tight down that way!

22 hours ago, luckydug said:

I always associated the 'dancing in the streets of Raith' quote from Jimmy Greaves on the Saint and Greaves slot on World of Sport back in the seventies.

Might be mistaken of course.

It has been known ☺

They’ll be Singing and Highland Flinging in Kirkcaldy the night

Sid Waddel

been here before
6 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

They’ll be Singing and Highland Flinging in Kirkcaldy the night

Sid Waddel

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds left to conquer … Eric Bristow is only 27."

4 minutes ago, been here before said:

"When Alexander of Macedonia was 33, he cried salt tears because there were no more worlds left to conquer … Eric Bristow is only 27."

He looks about as happy as a penguin in a microwave... 

Is one of my favourites🤣

33 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Fairness!! Since when did a Hobo care about that. For those Hobos who think East Mains is up to it, I suggest they pop into the Coalgate pub in Ormiston or the miners club in Macmerry for a pint. 

8 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

He looks about as happy as a penguin in a microwave... 

Is one of my favourites🤣

Boy was a genius , can’t believe its seven years since he passed. I never knew until not too long ago that he wrote Jossy’s Giants.

2 minutes ago, sadj said:

Boy was a genius , can’t believe its seven years since he passed. I never knew until not too long ago that he wrote Jossy’s Giants.

Jossys Giants... jezzus man that’s a blast from the past!!

I don't know the figures involved, in either our deal with Oriam or Hibs costs at EM, but in response to the bit about part-time/limited access...We have our own area within Oriam, our own offices and changing rooms etc. Those bits aren't used by anyone else. Even on the sponsors morning visit we didn't get access into there. The pitches both of the indoor pitches and the outdoor pitches are available to rent for the general public, but have priority for these for training and matches. 

2 hours ago, Coburg Hearts said:

I was going to start a new thread, but thought I'd lump it on here instead.

I wonder if FF, or someone who knows some of the finer details, can tell if any of the ramblings below has any merit? They seem to use their ownership of a field somewhere in the wilds as some kind of comfort blanket.

Surely it is better to rent a facility rated as one of the best in Europe, than own your own pigsty? (due apologies to said pigs)

Leither.

How does that mob manage with Oriam, then?

stantonsboots

Because they have no option, they are homeless when it comes to training facilities. So have to

pay top dollar to the university!

ozyhibbie

They have an amazingly cheap deal. 

They don’t pay top dollar. The money they pay HW is a lot less than it costs us to run East Mains.

90+2.

They rent it along with a lot of other people from a non profit charitable organisation.

No they don’t, (have to pay top dollar)  they landed on their feet with it being built up the road. They even got away with not paying them and bumping them as a creditor when they went into administration.

I don’t think that’s right.

wallpaperman.

Sure it was disclosed a while back that they pay (well, most the time) approx £500,000 a year to use the facilities, and that is broadly similar to what we pay to run East Mains each year.

Jeffers.

I find it hard to believe they pay the same to use a faciiity part time as we do for one we have exclusive use of.

Jacomo.

Why? You’d expect to pay more as a tenant rather than the owner, no?

Jeffers.

Not for something you don't have exclusive use of I wouldn't.

So let's get this straight.

As 100% fully paid up owners of East Mains, Hibs still have to:

- Hire the Jack Kane centre for indoor training when the weather is inclement
- Hire the PureGym for pre-season training
- Hire the Oriam for reserve matches

The "academy" side of it hasn't brought through a sellable asset in years, if ever.

It's basically a barn with a small indoor 5 a side pitch and a couple of bits of astro-turf.  

So yeah, go on about "owning" such an asset. It's like boasting you own a fully paid up lada rather than leasing a BMW. 

Coburg Hearts
16 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

I don't know the figures involved, in either our deal with Oriam or Hibs costs at EM, but in response to the bit about part-time/limited access...We have our own area within Oriam, our own offices and changing rooms etc. Those bits aren't used by anyone else. Even on the sponsors morning visit we didn't get access into there. The pitches both of the indoor pitches and the outdoor pitches are available to rent for the general public, but have priority for these for training and matches. 

That's what I thought and it's great you have confirmed it. Cheers.