Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Just wondering how you can defo say this if you don't know Jake, maybe Jake is in his 80s and has seen plenty games. Anything to back up your claim Prof?

Admittedly I don’t know Jake but  my first game was in 1957. 

14 minutes ago, Prof said:

Admittedly I don’t know Jake but  my first game was in 1957. 

5 minutes ago, Plank said:

I recall Jake saying his first Derby was in 1955.

Beautiful. :lol:

21 minutes ago, Plank said:

I recall Jake saying his first Derby was in 1955.

Three derbies in that calendar year, all at Tynecastle.

Hearts 5-1 on New Year's day,

Hearts 5-0 a month later in the Cup,

0-1 Hibs in September.

Hope his debut was one of the first two.

17 hours ago, Prof said:

I can definitely say I have seen Hearts play far more games than you. Like a lot of idiots on this forum you are incapable of thinking.

How can you make such a sweeping statement regarding @jake?

Calling folk on this forum idiots.  :facepalm:

11 minutes ago, Plank said:

I just wanted to see him squirm a bit :laugh:

No chance of that. I know some posters have seen Hearts before 1957 but The problem with many on JKB is their limited experience of the club.

3 minutes ago, Prof said:

No chance of that. I know some posters have seen Hearts before 1957 but The problem with many on JKB is their limited experience of the club.

How so? Genuinely interested to hear your theory on this...

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

4 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Did anyone drown in the Usher Hall at Pishy Drawers Pantsdown's wankfest ? 

Unfortunately not.  :sadrobbo:

:mmtaxi:   On second thoughts, maybe no’.

27 minutes ago, Prof said:

Explain?

44 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

How so? Genuinely interested to hear your theory on this...

19 minutes ago, sadj said:

Explain?

It’s fairly obvious that many posters have unrealistic expectations of the club based in my view on how long they have been watching the club. As a result some posters take any criticism of how the club is run personally. The current setup is financially sound but lacking in football expertise. CL may have been a great player but he’s no great coach and doesn’t come close to some of the greats. In saying that the development of Hearts over the last 50 years has been marked by a combination of of financial incompetence and poor football management. There have been some exceptions to this of course.

I keep seeing comments about us being the third force in Scottish football. We aren’t. Aberdeen has achieved more in footballing terms despite being a more provincial club.

Since the halcyon days of Tommy Walker we have consistently underperformed for a club of our size and support. Good years generally being followed by bad years. I see no sign of this improving under the current setup. It’s always Jam tomorrow if you have patience I keep hearing. My point is that having watched the club for a good few decades I am fed up of hearing that story. To make it worse some on here call us trolls when we point that out. 

The reality is that no other club would tolerate the current footballing setup. When did you last hear of someone saying that CL is in high demand as a coach? I don’t care how good a player he was. Others like Robbo who I think was the best CF since Bauld, were quickly binned from the club. The same should apply to CL.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Did anyone drown in the Usher Hall at Pishy Drawers Pantsdown's wankfest ? 

One dotnut is a bit peeved that Alan Gordon didn't show up. 

1 minute ago, martoon said:

One dotnut is a bit peeved that Alan Gordon didn’t show up.

Said donut should have been used to that in some of the games AG played for the scuttlers.

24 minutes ago, Prof said:

It’s fairly obvious that many posters have unrealistic expectations of the club based in my view on how long they have been watching the club. As a result some posters take any criticism of how the club is run personally. The current setup is financially sound but lacking in football expertise. CL may have been a great player but he’s no great coach and doesn’t come close to some of the greats. In saying that the development of Hearts over the last 50 years has been marked by a combination of of financial incompetence and poor football management. There have been some exceptions to this of course.

I keep seeing comments about us being the third force in Scottish football. We aren’t. Aberdeen has achieved more in footballing terms despite being a more provincial club.

Since the halcyon days of Tommy Walker we have consistently underperformed for a club of our size and support. Good years generally being followed by bad years. I see no sign of this improving under the current setup. It’s always Jam tomorrow if you have patience I keep hearing. My point is that having watched the club for a good few decades I am fed up of hearing that story. To make it worse some on here call us trolls when we point that out. 

The reality is that no other club would tolerate the current footballing setup. When did you last hear of someone saying that CL is in high demand as a coach? I don’t care how good a player he was. Others like Robbo who I think was the best CF since Bauld, were quickly binned from the club. The same should apply to CL.

The us v sheep debate is one that rumbles on relentlessly. 

Their trump card is their Euro success in 1983.

Out with that, the stats lean a bit in their favour, but not by much.

League titles- 4 apiece.

SC- 8 for us, 7 for them.

LC- 4 for us, 6 for them.

In the League, we’ve been runners up- 14 to their 17.

In the SC, our 7 to their 9.

It’s Europe that swings it for them though with 30 appearances since 1967 to our 22 appearances since 1958.

This has the square root of f all to do with Hibs but I had a wee niche in my tight schedule !

👍

55 minutes ago, Prof said:

I think that with that extensive experience, people can sometimes become a little bit removed from the gradual changes that happen in football over the course of those decades, leading to skewed perception of where and what we are as a club in the modern game. It would be just as impossible now for Aberdeen to repeat their brief successful period of the 1980s, as it would be for us to replicate our 1950s halcyon days. That is not so much down to the coaching and management of the teams, as the globalisation of the game. People need to understand that although the game itself has only changed a little bit in the minutiae of the rules since the 1980s, the structure of the associations, distribution of wealth, and the stacking of the deck in favour of select leagues and teams through coefficients, seeding and TV interest means that it's an entirely different sport for a team like Hearts or Aberdeen.

It's interesting that you say that Levein is a poor coach, and in the same post use Aberdeen's European successes of a bygone age as the yardstick for why they are the third force and not us. On the one hand you are saying that European success is the kicker that places Aberdeen above us, despite it being from a bygone era, and at the same time you just ignore the fact that Levein was the last Hearts manager to achieve any kind of relative European success for Hearts... especially since it was from an era that hasn't seen as much of a seismic shift in what's possible, as there was when Aberdeen did anything in Europe. Levein got us to the group stages of the UEFA Cup in modern times.

I think you are also too dismissive of the other work that Levein is responsible for at post-admin HMFC. You hark back to the days when a manager ran everything, and the everything in question was simply getting the best out of eleven local lads who played for the jersey and for pride... that world is gone now. We have different age groups, agents, academies, masses of administrative documentation and finance to deal with now. Quite simply, the game has changed so much since the nineties (Bosman, agents, SKY TV), you cannot hold clubs up to the same expectation levels any-more. That world is sadly gone. For me, I actually think that that fantastic experience that you have and have enjoyed, has blinded you slightly to what is required in modern Scottish football to even achieve a tiny percentage of those salad days.

1 hour ago, Prof said:

More provincial ? 

Aside from that it’s a decent explanation . 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Prof said:

Aberdeen achieved more in Europe (have they achieved much more domestically?) thanks to one man. They won the managerial lottery (it was nearly us) and fair play to them. In recent times have Aberdeen done better than us because of something they did or because they didn't go into admin? If you actually break down the number of trophies won by us and Aberdeen in the last 30 years or so, even with Romanov's millions we've given our fans more to celebrate and I'd argue a better return on any money spent on the team that whole time. One LC for Aberdeen is a pathetic return.

The facts are that when there has been a strong Rangers and Celtic we are the ONLY club to genuinely challenge that duopoly (in 2005/06). We are the only club to finish 3rd twice in a row (thanks to Levein) when the OF were at their strongest giving us a solid claim to be the third force pre-Romanov. (Aberdeen were nowhere then by the way - they flirted with relegation several times ore McInnes).

Not to be pedantic, but every club apart from us and Hibs and Edinburgh City are provincial clubs in Scotland.

Edited by ToqueJambo

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The facts are that when there has been a strong Rangers and Celtic we are the ONLY club to genuinely challenge that duopoly (in 2005/06). 

1998 too. Also JJ’s season before Kyle was injured to a certain extent.

When sevco, in a previous life, were on top, the sheep won the SC, LC and finished second in the League in the 1989-90 season. 

They’ve had their moments !

4 hours ago, Prof said:

How do you judge size though? As you’ll know Rangers had an utterly abysmal support before Souness and Murray arrived. Aberdeen Hibs and ourselves have managed to sustain a decent level of support despite some really piss poor seasons! Dundee Utd used to be well supported.. so on crowd size since Murray pitched up the old firm have dwarfed us all. 

On success well Celtic and Rangers are miles ahead, the rest of us are fairly even. So again the old firm are streets ahead, the rest of us there or there about the same so that’s clearly the mark for us.

The reality is we cannot and will not challenge Celtic or Rangers so it’s Jam tomorrow in the sense we might out perform our realistic rivals, little chance we’ll get near the old firm.

What is it you expect as our level surely not a league challenge? 

Levein should be gone but even with a new coach we won’t be challenging the old firm!

Edited by Rudy T

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not to be pedantic, but every club apart from us and Hibs and Edinburgh City are provincial clubs in Scotland.

Well said. Winds me up every time some weegie ex old firm tosser uses the term “provincial” to describe non old firm clubs.

18 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Not to get thrashed by Livi and to beat clubs like Hamilton, Ross County and all the other games we should easily win at home.

Edited by Prof

19 hours ago, Rudy T said:

The reality is we cannot and will not challenge Celtic or Rangers so it’s Jam tomorrow in the sense we might out perform our realistic rivals, little chance we’ll get near the old firm.

Levein should be gone but even with a new coach we won’t be challenging the old firm!

Our aim should be to get into Europe, then make the group stages of the Europa and invest the (relatively paltry) sums of money accrued from that.

This, added to our revived finances should allow investment in the squad, allied to potential youth breaking through from the academy.

Then, after a few years, we may be in a position to challenge the OF, now and again.  

A lot of ifs and maybes there, I know.  But that's football isn't it?  It's won on the field, not on a balance sheet (although the latter helps!)

Initially though, I sadly agree that we need a new coach.

2 hours ago, Prof said:

Not to get thrashed by Livi and to beat clubs like Hamilton, Ross County and all the other games we should easily win at home.

Obviously but that’s down to the current head coach. You’ve watched Hearts for a long time so what is your expectations for the club year on year? It’s not like you’ve witness huge periods of success and now all of a sudden we’re terrible.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Our aim should be to get into Europe, then make the group stages of the Europa and invest the (relatively paltry) sums of money accrued from that.

This, added to our revived finances should allow investment in the squad, allied to potential youth breaking through from the academy.

Then, after a few years, we may be in a position to challenge the OF, now and again.  

A lot of ifs and maybes there, I know.  But that's football isn't it?  It's won on the field, not on a balance sheet (although the latter helps!)

I don’t disagree that it’s possible, however every season we don’t get close the more difficult it becomes, with both of them getting big money from cup runs, gate receipts, European money, bigger sponsorship. We have to hope we produce a team of incredible talent all at once to get close. I honestly can never see us competing with them for players fees and wages.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Boris said:

We did that in Neilson's second season and it looked like we could push on to get another European place the following season, and yet I've honestly never seen a manager hounded by his own club's fans the way he was (especially considering his excellent record). The sad fact is our support is overloaded with numpties right now. A new coach might make a difference but I won't hold my breath that these numpties will suddenly start backing their club properly.

Edited by ToqueJambo

47 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Obviously but that’s down to the current head coach. You’ve watched Hearts for a long time so what is your expectations for the club year on year? It’s not like you’ve witness huge periods of success and now all of a sudden we’re terrible.

Always to end above Hibs and try for top 3. A good cup run is also welcome, but I want to see Tynecastle back to a fortress where we expect to win even against the OF. 

Bazzas right boot
On 08/09/2019 at 17:43, Rudy T said:

Out of sight out of mind... while he finds a suitable buyer for Easter road... please let it be Tesco!!

Cannae see it, Tesco more Likley to be bought over I reckon. 

Now, Amazon need a more central base for their expanding operation... 

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Boris said:

Hard to disagree with that. 

41 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We did that in Neilson's second season and it looked like we could push on to get another European place the following season, and yet I've honestly never seen a manager hounded by his own club's fans the way he was (especially considering his excellent record). The sad fact is our support is overloaded with numpties right now. A new coach might make a difference but I won't hold my breath that these numpties will suddenly start backing their club properly.

Modern day football it's very easy to get an opinion out there. Before we relied on the fans comments section in the evening news to get fans views out there.

Now in the age of social media everyone has a voice. Any opinion can be put out there. Every defeat a manager can rightly or wrongly be questioned and put under pressure.

Neilson in reality probably would have gone keep us up the table. But he also signed sammon......lol

All ifs and buts now in any case.

But at this moment in time I'm sure the majority would have Robbie in post over Levein

Edited by mscjambo

40 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Said it loads of times on here, I’d take him back in a heartbeat 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Said it loads of times on here, I’d take him back in a heartbeat 

Me too but that ship might have sailed. He's got a good, challenging job at a decent club with a bit of investment from the new owners and a Sporting Director to work with, who by the way has done an excellent job of their recruitment so far. I also think Robbie is tailor made for the Scotland job in time if he develops because he can get players playing for him quickly and tactically is very sound. I think he'd like the travel and research aspects of being the Scotland head coach.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Me too but that ship might have sailed. He's got a good, challenging job at a decent club with a bit of investment from the new owners and a Sporting Director to work with, who by the way has done an excellent job of their recruitment so far. I also think Robbie is tailor made for the Scotland job in time if he develops because he can get players playing for him quickly and tactically is very sound. I think he'd like the travel and research aspects of being the Scotland head coach.

Sadly I think your right! 

55 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was embarrassing actually. ‘Aye but I’m pure bored at the football I’m watching’... we were in second place... 🙄

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

That was embarrassing actually. ‘Aye but I’m pure bored at the football I’m watching’... we were in second place... 🙄

Going nowhere though... taken us as far as he could... Connor Sammon...

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

I don’t disagree that it’s possible, however every season we don’t get close the more difficult it becomes, with both of them getting big money from cup runs, gate receipts, European money, bigger sponsorship.

Agree that hat the longer it takes the harder it becomes.

1 hour ago, Rudy T said:

We have to hope we produce a team of incredible talent all at once to get close. I honestly can never see us competing with them for players fees and wages.

Outside the OF that's what happens. Aberdeen & Dundee Utd late 70's/early 80's for example, and of course ourselves 85 onwards.

I wasn't meaning we could compete financially with the OF, more we could afford better players than currently, hopefully academy produces and we can also buy other talent a la McCann/Cameron types.

We did that in Neilson's second season and it looked like we could push on to get another European place the following season,

Yes, but being dumped by a Maltese team was embarrassing.

and yet I've honestly never seen a manager hounded by his own club's fans the way he was (especially considering his excellent record). The sad fact is our support is overloaded with numpties right now. A new coach might make a difference but I won't hold my breath that these numpties will suddenly start backing their club properly.

Yeah, a degree of (frustrated?) entitlement has crept in over a prolonged period, but doesn't take away from the fact that we appear to be treading water at the moment, if not going backwards.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Yes, but being dumped by a Maltese team was embarrassing.

Yeah, a degree of (frustrated?) entitlement has crept in over a prolonged period, but doesn't take away from the fact that we appear to be treading water at the moment, if not going backwards.

A Maltese team West Ham needed penalties to beat the previous year. Neilson was a complete rookie in European football too. The over-reaction was the real embarrassment.

In any case, every manager has an embarrassing result. Brendan Rodgers and the Red Imps? McInnes should have been sacked 3 or 4 times over if getting dumped out of Europe early by a crappy team in summer is a good reason. 

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

A Maltese team West Ham needed penalties to beat the previous year. Neilson was a complete rookie in European football too. The over-reaction was the real embarrassment.

In any case, every manager has an embarrassing result. Brendan Rodgers and the Red Imps? McInnes should have been sacked 3 or 4 times over if getting dumped out of Europe early by a crappy team in summer is a good reason. 

Thats the thing he was a rookie manager learning his trade. He made mistakes, the hibs game being the one that sent fans into orbit, the Euro games are a nightmare at that time of year and we just weren’t ready. He had just started to get a more expansive style before he went south.

I hear this line he jumped ship first chance, that’s from those he realise what has followed is complete dugshite and had Neilson still been in charge we’d be very much a different side!

53 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I wasn't using that result as some sort of Robbie out excuse!

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Boris said:

I wasn't using that result as some sort of Robbie out excuse!

I know. I just don't think that result was anything to get too upset about. Had Bauben scored our penalty things could have looked very different.

I know. I just don't think that result was anything to get too upset about. Had Bauben scored our penalty things could have looked very different.

👍