Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

Direct from Hibs Historical Trust. 

“Contrary to popular belief, Hibs were not the first Scottish side to install lights, but the fifth. The game against Stenhousemuir had alerted other enterprising clubs to the advantages of playing under light and by the end of 1953 Rangers, Kilmarnock and Falkirk had installed their own systems, all mounted along roofs of their stands, and later East Fife whose lights had been situated on low columns placed at each corner of the ground.”

:sweeet:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, gjcc said:

The “First British club to play in Europe” achievement is particularly cringeworthy. Aberdeen, Celtic Rangers and Hearts declined to participate so they went to the 5th placed club. :lol: 

Yes, they basically got in by invite, but only after the previous 4 Scottish invitees said naw!  Similarly, Chelsea, who were English champions were invited, but discouraged from taking part by the FA.

This wasn't an official tournament, basically something set up by Real Madrid which wasn't sanctioned by the footballing authorities.  It eventually developed into the European Cup and came under the auspices of UEFA.

They weren't even the first British club to play in Europe.  Bishop Auckland played in and won the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy, in Turin in 1909.  Some say that this tournament was a precursor to the world cup which eventually took place in 1930.  On the back of this, some people extrapolate wildly to claim that Bishop Auckland were the first world champions.

Amazingly, I recently discovered that Bishop Auckland is twinned with Lochend.  They have regular exchange trips where they get together to indulge in massive circle jerks while bragging about their made up achievements.

1 minute ago, RobNox said:

Yes, they basically got in by invite, but only after the previous 4 Scottish invitees said naw!  Similarly, Chelsea, who were English champions were invited, but discouraged from taking part by the FA.

This wasn't an official tournament, basically something set up by Real Madrid which wasn't sanctioned by the footballing authorities.  It eventually developed into the European Cup and came under the auspices of UEFA.

They weren't even the first British club to play in Europe.  Bishop Auckland played in and won the Sir Thomas Lipton trophy, in Turin in 1909.  Some say that this tournament was a precursor to the world cup which eventually took place in 1930.  On the back of this, some people extrapolate wildly to claim that Bishop Auckland were the first world champions.

Amazingly, I recently discovered that Bishop Auckland is twinned with Lochend.  They have regular exchange trips where they get together to indulge in massive circle jerks while bragging about their made up achievements.

I'm sure theres a film about Bishop Auckland with him out Auf Wiederson pet was in it.

Quite good it was 

1 minute ago, jake said:

I'm sure theres a film about Bishop Auckland with him out Auf Wiederson pet was in it.

Quite good it was 

Do you mean Jimmy Nail, Den or Neville.  Presumably wouldn't be Barry!

downunder jambo

Great photo. Interesting line markings! When did they change?

2 hours ago, AJAMBO said:

0_1896-Scottish-Cup-Final-Hearts-v-Hibs-at-Logie-Greenjpeg.jpg

4 minutes ago, downunder jambo said:

Seems they were as above from 1891-1902. 

After then, pretty much as today but the penalty arc came in ‘37. 

6ECE3951-754D-489D-B892-3977FFCDD875.gif

Unknown user
4 hours ago, been here before said:

Here we go folks... ready for this... this is good... take it away...

One Day In Time 06:59 PM Today
I've had a day at work with a whole lot of them slagging me off about this.

You know what, I couldn't give a monkeys what that lot say. This is just another first in the Scottish game for HFC 

First domestic game under floodlights, first British team to play in Europe. Now we're the first Scottish team with a short sponsor. Shows creativity in my mind
and another source of income isn't to be sniffed at. In future years we'll be able to attract higher profile partners, paying significant wedges to advertise their services and products to 20000 people every fortnight, and a TV audience too

I can handle the snidey and ill informed comments from others but to read such negativity from our own, is hard to take

Where is all this negativity coming from? We're two games in to the season with all to play for.

Have we all forgotten Persevere or was that just a timely soundbite?

Brilliant. Just brilliant

Thats some list of 'firsts'

😆

Yes, definitely first, definitely no one in Scottish football has done that before loads of times. 

Inverness-Caledonian-Thistle-Home-Strip-

Celtic-Away-Shorts-2010.jpg

New-Celtic-Shorts-2014.jpg

New-Dundee-United-Strip-12-13-Nike.png

1 hour ago, downunder jambo said:

I have no idea. It's a magical image so many questions. 

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Correct jakey boy. ‘A Captain’s Tale’ starring Dennis Waterman and Tim (Healey?). 

It’s a fantastic football fillum. 

Well worth a watch.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0084918/

They thought they had invited the famous Woolwich Arsenal to a tournament but invited West Auckland by mistake. 

Probably feeling much like the guy at Real Madrid who thought he'd invited the famous to the inaugural European Cup, only to see the vermin turn up instead. 

On 22/08/2019 at 23:14, Homme said:

Everything about their mentality is just utterly childlike and so small time. 

Beep beep

When I first heard about beep beep I thought it was something to do with Road Runner.   

Edit: Didn't see the post above. As mentioned brilliant.

Edited by Marvin

allystrachan
6 hours ago, gjcc said:

Seems they were as above from 1891-1902. 

After then, pretty much as today but the penalty arc came in ‘37. 

6ECE3951-754D-489D-B892-3977FFCDD875.gif

Interesting. Surprised we didn’t take the piss if that’s what the pitch looked like when they win the Scottish cup in 1902.

Who_put_the_ball_in...
10 hours ago, been here before said:

Here we go folks... ready for this... this is good... take it away...

One Day In Time 06:59 PM Today
I've had a day at work with a whole lot of them slagging me off about this.

You know what, I couldn't give a monkeys what that lot say. This is just another first in the Scottish game for HFC 

First domestic game under floodlights, first British team to play in Europe. Now we're the first Scottish team with a short sponsor. Shows creativity in my mind
and another source of income isn't to be sniffed at. In future years we'll be able to attract higher profile partners, paying significant wedges to advertise their services and products to 20000 people every fortnight, and a TV audience too

I can handle the snidey and ill informed comments from others but to read such negativity from our own, is hard to take

Where is all this negativity coming from? We're two games in to the season with all to play for.

Have we all forgotten Persevere or was that just a timely soundbite?

Brilliant. Just brilliant

Thats some list of 'firsts'

😆

First full time side from Edinburgh to spend 3 years outside the top flight. He forgot that one.

5 minutes ago, iainmac said:

First Scottish Women's Team to have a Captain that is so traumatised that she can't count? 

Reminds me of a time when a Hibs fan was answering questions in the EEN. When asked about his favourite Hibs memory, he said the 7-0 game. 

He wasn’t even born. 😂😂😂

New song

When I was just a little boy

my mother gave me a little toy 

An Hibernian fan on a string 

she told me to kick its ****ing head in

its ****ing head in

its ****ing head in

she told me to kick his ****ing head in

repeat

12 hours ago, Rudy T said:

They were definitely the first Edinburgh team to get horsed 5-1 in a Scottish Cup final by their City rivals!

Superb 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

So 5th Scottish team to be invited to play in Europe first to accept , 5th Scottish team to install floodlights... 1st Scottish team to lose 5-1 to their maroon overlords?👌🏻

Unknown user
3 hours ago, allystrachan said:

Interesting. Surprised we didn’t take the piss if that’s what the pitch looked like when they win the Scottish cup in 1902.

Boobs on the goal line

You won with boobs on the goal line

Boobs on the goal line

Stupid Sexy Flanders
21 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Boobs on the goal line

Boobs on the goal line

😆 Lovely stuff. 

2 hours ago, iainmac said:

First Scottish Women's Team to have a Captain that is so traumatised that she can't count? 

Surely the correct answer is Griffith's winner v. Aberdeen in the semi final?

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, Swanny17 said:

Reminds me of a time when a Hibs fan was answering questions in the EEN. When asked about his favourite Hibs memory, he said the 7-0 game. 

He wasn’t even born. 😂😂😂

That's brilliant swanny they just don't think at all. 

49 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Boobs on the goal line

Boobs on the goal line

Twice if you count Conrad Logan I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Twice if you count Conrad Logan I suppose. 

Thousands of you count all the tits that ran on during their over exuberant cup final celebration 

Coburg Hearts

They seem to be very confused about their ponzi scheme, but to be fair I have included the reply from the head honcho of the scheme. It would be interesting to get @Footballfirst's thoughts on the reply, but I guess it's a case of wait and see.

Posted by ahibby 

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but before I donate anymore money I need to see a clear gate money is used towards the team, i.e. bringing in and paying players statement from both HSL and the club which informs us exactly what their intentions are. I would like the club to make it clear that season ticket money and. They should make it clear that money from HSL for team purposes won't mean that the equivalent amount is diverted from season tickets and gate receipts for other costs.

I'm disappointed that nearly a million pounds already raised hasn't already found it's way to the team budget. I was always, Originally until very recently that is, under the impression that was the purpose of it all, i.e. I thought the previous owners had said that share money would go to the team budget but perhaps I am imagining that. It needs to be sorted promptly otherwise I can see many donation sources pulling out.

Golden Bear.

I would join if I receive guarantees that my contribution would go directly to the Club in order to create a healthy transfer kitty or go towards players signing on fees /wages.
As for share purchase, then no thanks.

Official HSL.

We're not sure if we are talking at cross purposes here but for the avoidance of any doubt we are happy to confirm that all previous funds raised prior to the recent transaction has been passed to the Club and has been spent on player wages etc. This has been confirmed by Leeann and indeed I understand that all previous Fan Rep Directors have confirmed this.

If you are an HSL Member you will very shortly be giving us your instructions regarding going forward. In terms of all future funds being passed to the Club for the football Team we sense that all, if not most of our Members, are happy with the current arrangement and trust our Board that funds passed to them will be directed to the Football Dept.

Coburg Hearts
17 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Surely the correct answer is Griffith's winner v. Aberdeen in the semi final?

Very good. 😉

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

They seem to be very confused about their ponzi scheme, but to be fair I have included the reply from the head honcho of the scheme. It would be interesting to get @Footballfirst's thoughts on the reply, but I guess it's a case of wait and see.

Posted by ahibby 

Maybe I'm alone in my thinking but before I donate anymore money I need to see a clear gate money is used towards the team, i.e. bringing in and paying players statement from both HSL and the club which informs us exactly what their intentions are. I would like the club to make it clear that season ticket money and. They should make it clear that money from HSL for team purposes won't mean that the equivalent amount is diverted from season tickets and gate receipts for other costs.

I'm disappointed that nearly a million pounds already raised hasn't already found it's way to the team budget. I was always, Originally until very recently that is, under the impression that was the purpose of it all, i.e. I thought the previous owners had said that share money would go to the team budget but perhaps I am imagining that. It needs to be sorted promptly otherwise I can see many donation sources pulling out.

Golden Bear.

I would join if I receive guarantees that my contribution would go directly to the Club in order to create a healthy transfer kitty or go towards players signing on fees /wages.
As for share purchase, then no thanks.

Official HSL.

We're not sure if we are talking at cross purposes here but for the avoidance of any doubt we are happy to confirm that all previous funds raised prior to the recent transaction has been passed to the Club and has been spent on player wages etc. This has been confirmed by Leeann and indeed I understand that all previous Fan Rep Directors have confirmed this.

If you are an HSL Member you will very shortly be giving us your instructions regarding going forward. In terms of all future funds being passed to the Club for the football Team we sense that all, if not most of our Members, are happy with the current arrangement and trust our Board that funds passed to them will be directed to the Football Dept.

“Nearly a million pounds” :lol: 

How many years contributions is that?

Coburg Hearts
3 minutes ago, gjcc said:

“Nearly a million pounds” :lol: 

How many years contributions is that?

The phrase "Cloud cuckoo land" comes to mind.

2 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

The phrase "Cloud cuckoo land" comes to mind.

Am I right to assume that given the fact HSL own shares, the “nearly” million pounds raised so far had already been paid to purchasing shares from Farmer? So will not have any tangible knock on  impact on the player budget. All it did was allow Farmer to recoup nearly a million of his losses from fans before skipping into the night. 

Coburg Hearts
4 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Am I right to assume that given the fact HSL own shares, the “nearly” million pounds raised so far had already been paid to purchasing shares from Farmer? So will not have any tangible knock on  impact on the player budget. All it did was allow Farmer to recoup nearly a million of his losses from fans before skipping into the night. 

Just checked up and the guy admits his mistake. Not the brightest, I'm afraid. 😉

Got it now, it's only £50k outstanding. That makes sense, I'm not sure why I thought £800k from, my bad.

1 minute ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Just checked up and the guy admits his mistake. Not the brightest, I'm afraid. 😉

Got it now, it's only £50k outstanding. That makes sense, I'm not sure why I thought £800k from, my bad.

:lol: 

I envisage the reply:

“It’s alright son, we all make mistakes. Enjoy the minority shareholding. #Ponyup 

Posted by Tam. F. Via tapatalk from his fan funded yacht in the Caribbean. “

Coburg Hearts
10 minutes ago, gjcc said:

:lol: 

I envisage the reply:

“It’s alright son, we all make mistakes. Enjoy the minority shareholding. #Ponyup 

Posted by Tam. F. Via tapatalk from his fan funded yacht in the Caribbean. “

Sir Tam was good with sayings............You can't get quicker than a .................hibs fan leaving Hampden after the fourth goal went in.

35 minutes ago, gjcc said:

It's real bad when honest money is lost so easily what a mess. They do seem to be facing major upheavals do you think they going to hit the skids with the do Ron Ron ron running over the roadie while doing the beep beep  

They woke up this morning and the money was gone. The do Ron Ron Ron the do one ron

3 minutes ago, AJAMBO said:

It's real bad when honest money is lost so easily what a mess. They do seem to be facing major upheavals do you think they going to hit the skids with the do Ron Ron ron running over the roadie while doing the beep beep  

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Coburg Hearts said:

In January 2015, STF had agreed to issue new shares in the club to HSL and individual fans in order to raise £2.5m for the club. The new shares would also dilute his holding (through HFC Holdings) from 98% to 49%.

Prior to the Ron Gordon takeover, HSL had invested £770k in the club to acquire shares.As a result of the takeover they were diluted from 18.8% to their current 15.4%. Other share purchases by individual fans and other groups took the total raised to £1.6m of the intended £2.5m 

At the start of the scheme, the club had indicated that all new funds raised would go to the player budget, i.e. wages and transfers. In addition, HSL would also get a seat on the Board once they reached 20%.

I guess it is difficult to say exactly where the new funds went. It is likely that the money found its way into the club's working capital pot and was used for general purposes, of which increased spending on the player budget would be a significant part. I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that the new funds were diverted elsewhere.

There are no longer any free shares to be allotted, so it is difficult to see how HSL can raise their holding much above the 15.4%, short of having shares gifted to them or purchasing them from other shareholders (with the money not going into the club).  There may be a possibility of acquiring shares from the 18 x "nominee" shareholders (9.9%).

As far as I'm aware, HSL is still collecting direct debits from their members, but I haven't seen anything confirming how those funds will be used in the future. I believe that meetings have been held but I don't know what decisions have been made about the future donations or HSL's continued role.

Edited by Footballfirst

Coburg Hearts
12 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

In January 2015, STF had agreed to issue new shares in the club to HSL and individual fans in order to raise £2.5m for the club. The new shares would also dilute his holding (through HFC Holdings) from 98% to 49%.

Prior to the Ron Gordon takeover, HSL had invested £770k in the club to acquire shares.As a result of the takeover they were diluted from 18.8% to their current 15.4%. Other share purchases by individual fans and other groups took the total raised to £1.6m of the intended £2.5m 

At the start of the scheme, the club had indicated that all new funds raised would go to the player budget, i.e. wages and transfers. In addition, HSL would also get a seat on the Board once they reached 20%.

I guess it is difficult to say exactly where the new funds went. It is likely that the money found its way into the club's working capital pot and was used for general purposes, of which increased spending on the player budget would be a significant part. I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that the new funds were diverted elsewhere.

There are no longer any free shares to be allotted, so it is difficult to see how HSL can raise their holding much above the 15.4%, short of having shares gifted to them or purchasing them from other shareholders (with the money not going into the club).  There may be a possibility of acquiring shares from the 18 x "nominee" shareholders (9.9%).

As far as I'm aware, HSL is still collecting direct debits from their members, but I haven't seen anything confirming how those funds will be used in the future. I believe that meetings have been held but I don't know what decisions have been made about the future donations or HSL's continued role.

Thanks, FF, you can't get much more of an explanation than that. The Head of HSL says it will be very difficult, but not impossible, to get the required share percentage that would let them veto anything that they think might be harmful to the club.

I would love to know who the nominee's are, but would be surprised if Farmer or Petrie, or their friends, were not involved in some way. Interesting times ahead.

1 hour ago, gjcc said:

From fuds.net...

HSL have been contributing monthly to the club since 2014. Up until Ron Gordon's take over the funds were contributed in exchange for shares, with all money going to the playing budget. Hibernian Supporters Ltd owns around 15% of the club on behalf of its members at the moment.

Since RG's takeover he has stated there are no more shares to be bought, ie the previous arrangement with Sir Tom Farmer is no longer in existence. The funds which have been donated to Hibernian Supporters since the takeover and statement re shares (around £50k) has been held by Hibernian Supporters until the members have voted on what they want to happen with the money.

So, the HSL money has been spent on the playing budget and in 5 years since the scheme started they have amassed a whopping 15% of the shares, against a target of 25.1%, which they will never reach cos old Ron has put a stop to STF's scheme to ensure he retains a controlling interest  :rofl:

Meanwhile, none of the FOH funds have been spent on players, we've contributed £3m towards the new stand, currently hold c 37.5% of the shares and before this season ends will hold 75.1% (effectively controlling the club).  Then of course we'll have the tricky problem of deciding how to spend the spare £1.5m coming in from FOH every year.

Hopefully we'll see a big chunk of the extra cash used towards further developing the wummin's team.

::troll::

Is it just me or does that reply from the guy that runs hsl completely avoid the point about funds from hsl going to the player budget being offset by the club diverting the same amount from themselves elsewhere? Completely nullifying any benefit to the 1st team of any funds provided by hsl?

22 minutes ago, Coburg Hearts said:

Thanks, FF, you can't get much more of an explanation than that. The Head of HSL says it will be very difficult, but not impossible, to get the required share percentage that would let them veto anything that they think might be harmful to the club.

I would love to know who the nominee's are, but would be surprised if Farmer or Petrie, or their friends, were not involved in some way. Interesting times ahead.

To further strip that back Leanne Dempster sits on both boards, club and HSL, now think of it this way... if there was no requirement to increase the shareholding ie. to block one person having control enabling that one person to do as he wished would Leanne Dempster not have dampened those fears?

In other words Ron the Con has them by the short and curlies and Leanne has had a wee quiet word with HSL and told them to get their finger out before Cala and Tesco’s move in!

13 minutes ago, RobNox said:

From fuds.net...

Since RG's takeover he has stated there are no more shares to be bought, ie the previous arrangement with Sir Tom Farmer is no longer in existence. The funds which have been donated to Hibernian Supporters since the takeover and statement re shares (around £50k) has been held by Hibernian Supporters until the members have voted on what they want to happen with the money.

::troll::

Why don't they pay back the public purse the money stolen in fraudulent benefit payments.

4 hours ago, sadj said:

Superb 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

So 5th Scottish team to be invited to play in Europe first to accept , 5th Scottish team to install floodlights... 1st Scottish team to lose 5-1 to their maroon overlords?👌🏻

:glorious:

Gilberts Fridge

I know I sound like a stuck record but Leanne Dempster's ( and Stephen Dunn's) potential conflict of interest between being a current director of Hibernian Supporters Limited and a current director of The Hibernian Football Club Limited seems to be swept under the carpet. HSL's objective is to:

To raise funds to acquire shares in Hibernian Football Club, and

To hold those shares for the benefit of all supporters and the community.

As a director of HSL, she has a duty to act in the best interests of the company however she also has an equivalent duty to work in the best interests of The HFC, whose person with significant control has publicly stated that there are no more shares for sale. Given the fact that the takeover came as a surprise to HSL and that there has been no clear statement from either HSL or the club, it would appear that he is not interested in them. 

It could be argued that all HSL achieved was making HFC more attractive to a buyer allowing Sir Tom to get out. The current comms from HSL scream of, please Ron let us give you some money but we will get nothing back. At some stage he will accept and the HSL money will either let him reduce his day to day subsidy of the club or build its value. Currently it would appear that HSL did not and in the future will not have any benefit to the ordinary fan and preventing HFC from being sold on, asset striped or anything else.

If they had any sense, HSL should change to being an organisation to raise funds to be held in trust until they are in a position of strength with regards to purchasing shares in the club 

41 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

If they had any sense,  

Just spotted the condition where your scenario goes tits up :lol:

Coburg Hearts
51 minutes ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

I know I sound like a stuck record but Leanne Dempster's ( and Stephen Dunn's) potential conflict of interest between being a current director of Hibernian Supporters Limited and a current director of The Hibernian Football Club Limited seems to be swept under the carpet. HSL's objective is to:

As a director of HSL, she has a duty to act in the best interests of the company however she also has an equivalent duty to work in the best interests of The HFC, whose person with significant control has publicly stated that there are no more shares for sale. Given the fact that the takeover came as a surprise to HSL and that there has been no clear statement from either HSL or the club, it would appear that he is not interested in them. 

It could be argued that all HSL achieved was making HFC more attractive to a buyer allowing Sir Tom to get out. The current comms from HSL scream of, please Ron let us give you some money but we will get nothing back. At some stage he will accept and the HSL money will either let him reduce his day to day subsidy of the club or build its value. Currently it would appear that HSL did not and in the future will not have any benefit to the ordinary fan and preventing HFC from being sold on, asset striped or anything else.

If they had any sense, HSL should change to being an organisation to raise funds to be held in trust until they are in a position of strength with regards to purchasing shares in the club 

I like this assessment very much. 

1 hour ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

Spot on. The old adage about fools and their money rings true here.

1 hour ago, Gilberts Fridge said:

The fact these questions have not been directly asked of her regarding the takeover and her conflicting roles is astounding.