Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

12 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I think you have to take these things with a pinch of salt because we are viewing Hibs through maroon lenses. But, certainly if I was a Hibs fan, after the euphoria of last weeks announcement, there is a lot of questions that need to be asked. First of all what is his plan for Hibs. I haven't really seen anything except some empty statement about wanting to challenge Celtic (I have only ever seen an owner with a really ambitious statement like that follow it through and that was Leicester.) Heckingbottom has already confirmed he is not getting a bigger budget. HSL are getting no more shares, is that purely to protect his investment by stopping someone getting on the board who he hasn't picked?

If I was really cynical, though I dont think it would be this as it would be too hard to push through, that he has bought a large plot of land near the centre of Edinburgh for £6m (plus a large plot of land in East Lothian.) You could easily sell the land for housing for much more than you bought it. If your a businessman looking to make a very profitable investment, this could be a real money spinner (and sell the football club for pennys after you have removed the land from the club, so you dont have that side hanging round your neck.)

To be honest, looking at his background, he doesn't seem to be the type to buy businesses and flip them.  He does genuinely seem to make long term investments.     

He does also appear to genuinely try to help communities.  Well, the Hispanic ones in America anyway.

Edited by Lovecraft

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

To be honest, looking at his background, he doesn't seem to be the type to buy businesses and flip them.  He does genuinely seem to make long term investments.     

He does also appear to genuinely trying to help communities.  Well, the Hispanic ones in America anyway.

Fair enough, was just taking things to the extreme to see where it would go though dont think that would happen.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Fair enough, was just taking things to the extreme to see where it would go though dont think that would happen.

I'm pretty sure if it came to cutting and running - as he has no emotional ties to the club, he could.

First time for everything.  He may just flip them and merge them with the Caps Ice hockey team.  😉

Guest ToqueJambo
53 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

I'm pretty sure if it came to cutting and running - as he has no emotional ties to the club, he could.

First time for everything.  He may just flip them and merge them with the Caps Ice hockey team.  😉

He'll leave eventually. That's the worry for Hibs fans and the thing HSL was supposed to provide some security over when it comes to that stage. I suppose lots of clubs face that scenario but the thing with Hibs was they were on a path out of it. Farmer, Petrie, Dempster and co could have used the possible sale to light a fire under HSL to achieve their target but chose not to. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

What’s this talk about an indoor facility?

They already have one. That barn near ormiston with the goals painted on the walls.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

He is happy where the club is just now.

He is looking to be 3rd or 4th or something like that.      Yeah, he said that.

The budget is very solid for player acquisition.

They won't be spending any cash basically.

Also, we want to have the best academy in Scotland..................  I don't know what that entails but.............

:cornette_dog:

Because that is how he can make money. Sell players and take a % of the transfer fee. 😎

9 hours ago, indianajones said:

I have no idea whats going on but everything feels a bit Hibsy? Hibsy being we laughed at their 'hobonomics' - is this just our version?

Are we getting excited because their version of FoH has failed (we knew this already) and Hibs fans have lost money? 

Are we getting excited because their fans will never own their club now?

Are we getting excited because this new owner could (little evidence to suggest at the moment im guessing) asset strip them and/or skim on any future profits?

All of the above +?

I honestly have no idea so would appreciate a quick summary as to why there is excitement for us in the current wee team situation. 

Last week hibs had a multi billionaire owner who was going to splash the cash and win the league.

This week there will be no real investment and the fans can no longer buy any more shares to get a member on the board.  Seems happy with 4th place as an ambition and looks to want to bring through youngsters to sell on.   

The club is now in the hands of a forign owner with no emotional ties to the club and who doesnt want to invest any money apart from what he bought the club for.  The previous owner made a scheme where the shares could be sold to fans so they could own 51% through time yet with no consultation this agreement is now ripped up and the club sold from under the fans feet.    

Hibs have went from being well run, secure with the fans buying the club to a unknown controlling the shares and refusing the fans take any more ownership.  It just leaves long term uncertainty.   

Get it right up them.

Jaap's Sigh

I seriously hope he sells them out bit by bit. At the end I want a brand spanking new Tesco superstore where Easter road used to be and Ronald MacDonald on a plane home with a suitcase full of cash. 

Someone should head down Lochend with a few smoke canisters and a pish stained bedsheet with the words ‘tick tock’ daubed on it. 

Ron’s obviously a business man firstly. Wait till his team go through the accounts and look at the turnover versus season ticket sales.

He will soon put a stop to those robbing little *******s taking concessions on their season tickets!!

Attendances will plummet.

Unknown user
8 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

😄

Another possibility regarding the mysterious 12%...

What I’d they are owned by Gordon’s family? 

If Ron controls the 67% in his name, and 12% in his dog’s name, then he effectively owns 79%, but doesn’t pass over the threshold for making an offer for the remaining shares.also stops HSL from purchasing more shares and getting a representative on the board. 🤔

I don't think he'd have to make an offer for the remaining shares as hibs shares aren't listed on an exchange. Could be wrong, but I think FF has said that on this subject.

Just now, Smithee said:

I don't think he'd have to make an offer for the remaining shares as hibs shares aren't listed on an exchange. Could be wrong, but I think FF has said that on this subject.

Ah, okay. Just the HSL member on the board then maybe? :D

scott herbertson

There are a few things to watch for

1. How will he structure the company in future - a classic tell take sign in the past when clubs have been asset stripped is the separation of the football. Registration from the land ownership 

2. What if anything will he do about the 33% of shares he doesn't currently own

3. If he makes further investment on what basis will it be and will the loan facility he put in place be used _ if so on what terms?

4. What will he say to fans about them putting money in in future

11 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Aye but but he has put £4 million intae the club, he has wiped out the debt!

He's going to challenge Celtic... presumably for the title of most deluded supporters.

3fingersreid

Looks like we’ve missed out on buying some hibs shares with FOH money , can I suggest we keep some money back to buy a flat when ( hopefully) that happens ? A nice wee party flat for Hearts fans celebrating something , birthday, engagement etc , either where the centre spot was or right behind the goals in the Dunbar end where we’ve done lots of celebrating.

Seriously though my hibs mates are very subdued on this takeover, not what I was expecting, perhaps our past plight has them cautious .

Glad I caught up with this thread. :rofl:

So, in a nutshell, HSL, which as we all know was somewhat modelled on FoH, has failed pretty miserably to this point, and now their Lord and Saviour Peruvian Ron has said, thanks for the money, but no thanks. No more shares for sale, meaning no further control to be bought within the club, and HSL pledgers still pumping money into the club for someone else to play with, or should he wish, take back if he wants to offset losses. :rofl: 

54 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

There are a few things to watch for

1. How will he structure the company in future - a classic tell take sign in the past when clubs have been asset stripped is the separation of the football. Registration from the land ownership 

2. What if anything will he do about the 33% of shares he doesn't currently own

3. If he makes further investment on what basis will it be and will the loan facility he put in place be used _ if so on what terms?

4. What will he say to fans about them putting money in in future

Surely only a matter of time before the loans commence. As has been proven, Hibs business model has operated at a loss in a number of recent years. There's long term money to be made from youth prospects etc. But in the short term, that investment is only going to decrease and vanish. Especially with the new sponsorship deal. One Ron realises that the club is operating at a loss, he'll no doubt do a Farmer, and loan the club money rather than invest. It makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to heavily invest in a Scottish club in the current climate, and that's a fact.

He’ll take the McGinn sell on clause (which according to .net will be about £6m 😂) and recoup his money in a oner.

Then sell ER to Cala Homes. 

Dirty Deeds
7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

He’ll take the McGinn sell on clause (which according to .net will be about £6m 😂) and recoup his money in a oner.

Then sell ER to Cala Homes. 

That part of town is crying out for a Tescos.

6 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

That part of town is crying out for a Tescos.

There's a big one already at the bottom of the Walk. I'd prefer it if Sainsbury's sold up at Meadowbank and built a new superstore in Lochend instead. Lovely maroon uniforms and Orange writing.

Leveins Battalion

Heckys at the wheel

Tell me how shit does this feel

Now Ron Gordon has killed HSL

I have a feeling that this wont end well

Do do do do do do:lenny:

4 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Can’t be long until the proclaimers hands off hibs benefit concert....

Which they will all sneak into to avoid paying 👍

42 minutes ago, Locky said:

Surely only a matter of time before the loans commence. As has been proven, Hibs business model has operated at a loss in a number of recent years. There's long term money to be made from youth prospects etc. But in the short term, that investment is only going to decrease and vanish. Especially with the new sponsorship deal. One Ron realises that the club is operating at a loss, he'll no doubt do a Farmer, and loan the club money rather than invest. It makes no sense whatsoever for anyone to heavily invest in a Scottish club in the current climate, and that's a fact.

Said it multiple times already. You can make money from football in Scotland in a few limited ways:

1) Salary

2) Selling your shares for profit

3) Interest on a loan

4) Taking a cut of profits - ie transfer fees

One or a combination of all of the above can make you money.

I think it’s interesting that Ron has only committed to ‘investing’ money in one area of the club so far; the academy. 🤔

11 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Looking at it objectively, the timing of it looks like it was done to stop HSL getting to 25%.

This did cross my mind too! 😎 

1 minute ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Said it multiple times already. You can make money from football in Scotland in a few limited ways:

1) Salary

2) Selling your shares for profit

3) Interest on a loan

4) Taking a cut of profits - ie transfer fees

One or a combination of all of the above can make you money.

I think it’s interesting that Ron has only committed to ‘investing’ money in one area of the club so far; the academy. 🤔

That's pretty much it. Sure, in the long term, if you're getting to the CL group stages every year, then there's serious cash to be made. But, even for Celtic, the only club who can really manage it, it's still a bit of a task.

In the 30 odd years of following Scottish football, the only owner I can think of that walked away with more money than they started with was old Fergus. 

18 minutes ago, Normthebarman said:

In the 30 odd years of following Scottish football, the only owner I can think of that walked away with more money than they started with was old Fergus. 

Ironically the Celtic fans hated him and wanted him out.... changed their minds now right enough!

Dirty Deeds
2 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Wallace always paid himself a nice salary.  He certainly never lost money though he did literally gamble his house in the early days.

3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Can’t be long until the proclaimers hands off hibs benefit concert....

I hear fish is offering to do a benefit gig for them.

gorgie rd eh11
5 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Aye but but he has put £4 million intae the club, he has wiped out the debt!

Hibs keep clearing their debt despite being "debt free". :teehee:

Glamorgan Jambo

Seems kinda odd that the rumours of a humongous bid for McGinn, and an associated large payment to Hibs, appeared in the final stretch of getting this deal over the line. 

And all the talk of additional investment has gone pretty quiet since Peruvian 'Ron' did his first round of press interviews. 

And now that HSL are stuck with a wadge of shares that give them no power and with no chance to increase their shareholding. 

I'd say that 'Sir Tom' has stitched up quite a few folk like a stale row of kippers. 

20 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Still nothing sent out by HSL despite last nights assurances. A carefully worded letter being debated over as we speak to limit the damage that a few 100 Hobos have sent their cash into a pipe dream?

Wonder if the secret shareholders are actually Jambos. Bizarre that NOBODY knows.

Imagine if one of them is secretly Petrie.Just waiting to **** them over 

23 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

I hear fish is offering to do a benefit gig for them.

Heard it was Cicero. B)

Just read on another new thread on hibs.net that Ron told representatives last night he expects fans to pay for the new indoor pitch at East Mains with a cost of 3-4 million 

Heis committed to it but he ain't paying for it 😂

Edited by vegas-voss

15 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Be quite funny if a faceless cast of Peruvians are signed in January 

FTFY

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Just read on another new thread on hibs.net that Ron told representatives last night he expects fans to pay for the new indoor pitch at East Mains with a cost of 3-4 million 

LINK! :rofl:

12 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

:wow:

A thing of absolute beauty!

So, basically:

I expect us to be up challenging for third place, but i am not going to put any money in to the first team to try and make it happen.

Hibs guy tugs his forelock.

I want to invest in the academy. This investment will be a new pitch that you lot will pony up for.

Hibs guy tugs his forelock and his eyes glaze over a little.

I won't be selling you guys any more shares. Sorry, just not that keen on the idea. Thanks for the cash you have tossed at us previously though.

Hibs guy faints.

Absolutely delightful stuff. Wonder what this floating charge over their property is all about then? Hmmmm... Hibs fans have to "pony up" to pay for the new pitch at East Mains... there is a floating charge security over East Mains... hmmmm...

Big Ron upgrades academy using a loan, that Hibs fans have to pay him back for. The repayments will come from teh HSL payments that were intended to buy a controlling stake in teh club.

Absolutely ****ing delightful. Could not have written the script better myself. :rofl:

Is too much being made of the 'pony up' comment by some?

In the limited context it's hard to tell whether it was said as a throwaway line implying the fans should continue to buy tickets etc or whether it was a 'get your hands in your pockets' type comment. I'm sure he will have been made well aware of what Hibs fans have done for the club over the years so I'd lean towards the former whilst again acknowledging that's based on nothing more than a couple of reports from the meeting with little wider context.

Maybe there's a cultural clash at play here as well. It's not uncommon for Americans to be a bit less reserved than we are used to when it comes to talking about money.

Either way nothing from the above post sets any alarm bells ringing, quite the opposite actually.

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

:wow:

A thing of absolute beauty!

So, basically:

I expect us to be up challenging for third place, but i am not going to put any money in to the first team to try and make it happen.

Hibs guy tugs his forelock.

I want to invest in the academy. This investment will be a new pitch that you lot will pony up for.

Hibs guy tugs his forelock and his eyes glaze over a little.

I won't be selling you guys any more shares. Sorry, just not that keen on the idea. Thanks for the cash you have tossed at us previously though.

Hibs guy faints.

Absolutely delightful stuff. Wonder what this floating charge over their property is all about then? Hmmmm... Hibs fans have to "pony up" to pay for the new pitch at East Mains... there is a floating charge security over East Mains... hmmmm...

Big Ron upgrades academy using a loan, that Hibs fans have to pay him back for. The repayments will come from teh HSL payments that were intended to buy a controlling stake in teh club.

Absolutely ****ing delightful. Could not have written the script better myself. :rofl:

It’s a ‘cultural clash at play here’ apparently 

:rofl:

Felix Lighter

Passing Easter Road earlier,there were a fair few folk in the main stand car park kicking one of these around. 

serveimage.jpg

3 minutes ago, Whatever said:

It’s a ‘cultural clash at play here’ apparently 

:rofl:

Clearly.

Big Ron lives in the real world where a culture of realism is at play.

Pretty Boy and the drooling simpletons on Hibs.nest live in a land where people ride centaurs to work and pay for things using lollipops.

:verysmug:

Randy Marsh
4 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

What about Craig Whyte?