Oh to be a Hibs fan

mscjambo

Footballfirst

The shareholding of their parent company, HFC Holdings (90% owned by STF & 10% by RP), has gone down from 98% to 59% following the introduction of their share schemes in 2015.

HSL has still to raise a further £900k to get STF/RP below the 50% mark. I don't know how much STF would want for his shares though.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Morgan

• Rudy T

• Coburg Hearts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The shareholding of their parent company, HFC Holdings (90% owned by STF & 10% by RP), has gone down from 98% to 59% following the introduction of their share schemes in 2015.

HSL has still to raise a further £900k to get STF/RP below the 50% mark. I don't know how much STF would want for his shares though.

Are the bulk of the remaining 41% of shares not suspicious looking shell companies (not sure if that’s the correct term or not) with generic Edinburgh landmark themed names, heavily rumoured to be associated with Tom and Rod?

10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Are the bulk of the remaining 41% of shares not suspicious looking shell companies (not sure if that’s the correct term or not) with generic Edinburgh landmark themed names, heavily rumoured to be associated with Tom and Rod?

No, they're frozen on 10 years a slaver's yacht... 

1 minute ago, Rudolf said:

No, they're frozen on 10 years a slaver's yacht... 

Ah, true.

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I asked if not owning them made a difference. He said that the way we have done it gives us access to much better facilities than we could afford to build ourselves and maintain on our own. He said that Hibs’ pretty poor 

I agree with that however Oriam is also used by them, so I guess in a perfect world, we would own somewhere and rent Oraim/Riccarton when needed.

1 minute ago, EdinaBoy said:

I agree with that however Oriam is also used by them, so I guess in a perfect world, we would own somewhere and rent Oraim/Riccarton when needed.

Dunno, is it worth owning our own? We get a good deal at Oriam, and we have our own patch there that we rent. We also have access to the rest of the facilities if we need to book them. Seems perfect to me.

4 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Dunno, is it worth owning our own? We get a good deal at Oriam, and we have our own patch there that we rent. We also have access to the rest of the facilities if we need to book them. Seems perfect to me.

Yeah agree - just meant in a perfect world we would have our own facility that we control.

The Board of Hibernian today announced that the majority shareholding in the Club has passed from HFC Holdings Limited – owned by Sir Tom Farmer and Rod Petrie - to Bydand Sports LLC, a new company set up for that purpose by US businessman Ronald Gordon. 

The historic transfer of ownership has taken place with Ron’s company acquiring the shares in the Club held by HFC holdings Limited and making a further cash investment in the Club.  

Ron is a successful, self-made businessman who has built and sold a network of broadcasting companies. He is also a lifelong football fan.

He takes the reins of a Club that has been transformed during the past 28 years of stewardship by Sir Tom, Rod Petrie, and other directors over the years with unparalleled investment in the club’s Stadium and Training Centre. The Club has enjoyed sporting successes, financial stability and is now well-placed to make further progress.

As a result of the transaction:

- Ron Gordon has become the Executive Chairman of Hibernian

- Sir Tom and Ron worked together in the transaction to eliminate the Club’s mortgage debt

- The Club is now debt free, six years ahead of plan

- Ron is making a seven-figure cash injection to the Club

- HFC Holdings has transferred the Ticket Office and 15 acres of land at HTC to the Club

- The new owner is backing the Board’s existing plans and the executive leadership and football management team

- Archie Paton, a senior Sports Industry Executive who has assisted Ron in the transaction, will become a Non-Executive on the Board

Following the transaction around one-third of the shares in Hibernian Football Club will be owned by existing shareholder supporters with Ron becoming the new majority shareholder.  

Sir Tom Farmer

“From the day supporters asked me to get involved to help save the Club back in 1991 this day was always going to come.

“After almost 30 years the approach from Ron has struck a chord and the time is right to transfer the stewardship of our great club.

“I want to pay tribute to Rod Petrie who has been integral to the building of the Club.

“Together we picked up the pieces from the receivers of its parent company when the club had nothing and after 28 years of hard work we leave this Club significantly better off than when we walked through the doors all those years ago, with a 20,000 all-seater stadium that is one of the best in Scotland, a first-class training centre and no debt. 

“There have been approaches over the years, and we have done them all the courtesy of hearing what they had to say. Ron’s passion for Hibernian and its origins and his commitment to the community and the engagement he wants with supporters shone through.

“The Directors of the Club met Ron so that they could hear and assess his plans and the investment on offer. It was good to hear their enthusiasm and excitement for how Ron can help take the Club forward, building on all we have created in the last 28 years. 

“It is also important to recognise the work of all the Board members over those years.  This is an unpaid position and often a thankless task, but to all those directors, past and present, I give my thanks.”

Ron Gordon

“I know that Hibernian is the right club for me, and I am committed to working with supporters, other shareholders and everyone connected with Hibernian to build on Sir Tom’s legacy and take the Club forward.

“I had a great first conversation with Sir Tom. We swapped stories from our childhood and compared our approach to business.

“There are many similarities and those values are evident in Hibernian not only as an outstanding football club but also its engagement with young people and through the Hibernian Community Foundation. That it is such a well-run Club was one of the major attractions for me.

“Hibernian will always be Sir Tom’s club and Easter Road will always be his home.

“I am looking forward to getting to know the supporters and shareholders as quickly as possible, hearing what they have to say and then working with them to help the Club build a successful future. And I will be there as often as I can to support the team!”

Rod Petrie has stood down from the Board of the Club after 22 years - 15 of them as Chairman.

“In agreeing this transition, Sir Tom and Ron have put the football club first and everyone should recognise and applaud that.  

“The legacy of Sir Tom’s tenure is not just the Club’s infrastructure – our magnificent stadium and training centre - but also the imperative that the Club should live within its means to ensure its stability and well-being.

“During that time, the Club reached 9 cup finals, won the League Cup twice and the long-awaited Scottish Cup in 2016. There were also 10 campaigns in Europe.”    

Bruce Langham, Senior Independent Non-Executive Director added on behalf of the Club’s Board:

“The Board is entirely supportive of this orderly transition to new ownership, something that does not always happen within Scottish football. 

“We are grateful to Sir Tom and to Rod and excited by Ron taking charge of the Club and bringing his considerable energy and ability to bear to help take it forward.”

Leeann Dempster, Chief Executive

“Everyone at the Club is excited about the future. Ron is a man who loves football and who is determined to bring a bright future to the Club. He buys into everything we are trying to achieve at Hibernian through our structure and our vision and he brings a wealth of experience in business to add value to that.”

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yes. There are 18 "nominee" or "investment" companies that hold shares, with names including Bass Rock Investments, Leith Walk Nominees, Duddingston Nominees and Scotland Street Nominees.  Collectively they own around 12% of the shares in the club.  HSL currently stands at 18.8%. The remaining 10% are held by smaller shareholders, most of whom who bought into the share issue in 2015.  

Sounds a bit dodgy. The 2 Dundee clubs haven’t done that well with American investors so far. Thought Petrie would have had to stand down anyway cos of his new role at the Sfa

Interesting times, thought he was a life long Hibby but no mention of it.

Does the 6 figure cash investment  mean all the new signings were a waste of time or is it all BS.

I will miss their love hate relationship with Rod though.

Edited by jackal

Hibs now completely debt free. Farmer and Petrie gone. 7 figure investment. Seems like a pretty good deal for them. Fair play.

They will still hover around 5th/6th in the league though.

Pants Shaton

Ron was in my year at school - big Hearts man - moved to the states in his teens.  He used to do business with the Mercer family and assume there’s some unfinished business.

Midloth_Iain
Just now, Pants Shaton said:

Ron was in my year at school - big Hearts man - moved to the states in his teens.  He used to do business with the Mercer family and assume there’s some unfinished business.

?

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

?

Sold a bunch of Spanish media outlets to NBC last year for $75m so he's got a few quid lying about but I don't think we're going to be seeing Neymar down the Kirkgate any time soon. 

It's good news. Investment into the game. 

The fan thing failed though it was a decent cash injection while they were in Championship. Arguably helped them sign John McGinn which has been a pretty successful deal. 

Also timed to get Petrie into SFA. I defer to those who said at the time he would step down at Hibs. 

Footballfirst
Just now, PTBCAL said:

How does this affect their Ponzi scheme ohhh I mean HSL? 

That intrigues me too.  Will it continue and ultimately dilute Gordon's new majority shareholding below 50%?

If it doesn't continue, then what will HSL do? I'd be pretty unhappy if I contributed on the basis of ultimately reducing the majority shareholder below the 50% mark.

Rick James

Petrie is gone. :sob:

Ah well, Hibs are officially debt free. Welcome to the 'living within your means' club.

vegas-voss

Debt free.You are only debt free for as long as you live by your means though.These guys never really invest their own money.

Edited by vegas-voss

13 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

?

manaliveits105

Which bank has been stiffed this time ?

How come Petr15 steps down from the board but is in charge of the SFA ? - he must have known when he took the position

Sir Tom did well for them,  never agreed with what Mercer was up to in 90. He lost the plot in truth and it ended up good for Hibs and the city as it should always have two clubs.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Makes FoH continuing to be a success even more important. 

Absolutely - FoH needs to step up a gear to make sure there is no risk to the ‘natural order’, the more the merrier!

Footballfirst

What the takeover means is that Hibs have an extra £500k to spend per annum for the next six years that they wouldn't otherwise have. That's worth two or three half decent players. 

Leveins Battalion

File under the Dundee teams.This is a wee toy for fat Yanks looking to take in game of "soccer" whilst having golfing week down North Berwick

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

What the takeover means is that Hibs have an extra £500k to spend per annum for the next six years that they wouldn't otherwise have. That's worth two or three half decent players. 

How much does FoH currently raise annually?

6 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

File under the Dundee teams.This is a wee toy for fat Yanks looking to take in game of "soccer" whilst having golfing week down North Berwick

He doesn't look fat, he's not American and he's been into football all his life. 

So they slate us for Romanov and then have egg on their face.

They slag off FoH and then have egg on their face by copying it.

They slag us off for being relegated and get relegated themselves.

Are they just Jambos in disguise?

1 minute ago, farin said:

Wouldn’t buy a used car from any of them . 

0504081F-8C25-4690-AEB2-6CE11F20790C.jpeg.fe8473b573b788f8cf38f20eaf635f1f.jpeg

Maybe the bloke on the right, without the tie...

Seems an ok bit of business , said the boy was born in Peru “a lifelong football fan” and he said “Hibs are the right club for me” , what that means who knows. Cracking name for a Peruvian too. 

Debt free is great for them if they keep it that way. Doesn’t make a huge difference in the grand scheme , though buys Dempster breathing space if she does what she did to Motherwell. 

1 minute ago, SUTOL said:

Maybe the bloke on the right, without the tie...

Nope, never trust a car salesman with man boobs!

There was always going to be a time when Farmer sold up

He saved the club and has kept it on an even keel as well as improving the ground and training facilities but he saw this as a community project.

The new owner has bought in, also will make a significant investment (from what we have been told) and to be honest no one will truly know for a couple of years how the club will be run in terms of finance.

If he is not some fly by night and his business record would indicate he is not then this will not harm the club and indeed will help them.

Will he invest at a loss hoping new signings will boost income etc is still to be seen but I can't see it as bad news at present

londonjambo

Fair enough really and it's great for them that they are debt-free without having the trauma that we had to endure to reach that point. I don't think much will change but the idea that this is anything other than very good news for them smacks of the type of jealousy from some of our fans which we would normally associate with them. 

Well done to them and will be interesting to see how much more he is prepared to invest to make them successful - not at all easy in this league as we know.

GC

maroonedinoz
39 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

That seems to be at odds with his bio, which states he was born in Peru...and actually educated in...Sydney!