Conor Washington signs for Hearts ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

Inch Hearts
4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There are no guarantees but he looks as promising a player as we can get I think. 

Definitely!  

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Beast Boy

• Absolute Scenes

I’m surprised but pleased as he’s a lot better than some of the carthorses signed by CL. With him, Walker and Halkett we seem to be going in the right direction at last.

17 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Looks to have a good pedigree.

From the video he looks pacy - something we're lacking.

I actually think we do have pace in the team but the way we have been playing football does not enable it to be utilised. We have tended to play with our backs to goal and on the back foot. You can have all the pace in the world but if you are starting from a static position or getting fed the ball behind you it tends to kill your potential forward momentum. 

I wish Connor all the best if he signs for us.

Edited by 7628mm

The Apprentice

He's likely fairly close with Michael Smith as well considering they're international team mates and it looks like they played with each other for a couple of years at Peterborough.

Going by his previous clubs I would say it's been a decent upward curve for him but he obviously found it difficult to get a regular run in a Team which did exceptionally well to get promoted to the EPL.  Good age and a decent pedigree so quite excited about this one.

OmiyaHearts

Sorry if I'm missing something. I've never heard of the guy and he didn't score a single goal last season. 

Why is this something to get excited about?

23 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

33 goals for Peterborough in 2 years before joining QPR for £2.5m Mainly a sub for QPR before a year at newly promoted Sheff Utd and not used much there.  Based on Peterborough and his international form there is massive potential in the lad.  

His Peterborough stats are more appealing when you consider Walker barely got a look in during his loan there too and he was at one point one of our best players (and hopefully soon will be again). Obviously it isn't always that black and white but I think Washington could be a great addition.

FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Can't say too much as never heard of the boy till this thread but his stats are poor. I would take Washington's granny over Wighton though. An absolutely diabolical footballer.

If Wighton was at the birds world cup right now he would be the waterboy.

Ah look, i8 is here to brighten up the place by posting, on a thread about a potential new signing, nothing but shite about a completely different player!

What an excellent contribution, as usual!

Inch Hearts
Just now, RS86 said:

His Peterborough stats are more appealing when you consider Walker barely got a look in during his loan there too and he was at one point one of our best players (and hopefully soon will be again). Obviously it isn't always that black and white but I think Washington could be a great addition.

Same with Cummings.  I totally agree.  He shows that form in Scotland then there’s a hero on the cards. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Sorry if I'm missing something. I've never heard of the guy and he didn't score a single goal last season. 

Er, he actually did score but for Northern Ireland. I've seen him play numerous times for Northern Ireland and he has the ability to be a really good fit in our team. A pacy forward who can also play wide.

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Ah look, i8 is here to brighten up the place by posting, on a thread about a potential new signing, nothing but shite about a completely different player!

What an excellent contribution, as usual!

i8 clearly gets bullied on here.  It’s actually ridiculous.  He says good stuff about Clare and Edwards, completely ignored, every single post is jumped on.  

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Er, he actually did score but for Northern Ireland. I've seen him play numerous times for Northern Ireland and he has the ability to be a really good fit in our team. A pacy forward who can also play wide.

What happened at QPR Geoff? Mainly a sub, just a step up?  Showed something for the blades to take him mind. 

scott herbertson
14 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

He's likely fairly close with Michael Smith as well considering they're international team mates and it looks like they played with each other for a couple of years at Peterborough.

Going by his previous clubs I would say it's been a decent upward curve for him but he obviously found it difficult to get a regular run in a Team which did exceptionally well to get promoted to the EPL.  Good age and a decent pedigree so quite excited about this one.

The Smith coonnection is a good point. No doubt Smith will have been asked about him and also McPhee willknow him well

Not seen much of him so don't have an opinion on his ability. What I would say is it looks like we are trying to mitigate risk on transfers by bringing in players that are well known to the management team which seems sensible. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

What happened at QPR Geoff? Mainly a sub, just a step up?  Showed something for the blades to take him mind. 

I think it was more about QPR than him. He was signed for a big fee so he probably disappointed to a degree given what they paid and he wasn't a player who was an automatic pick. Ironically, this coincided with his first purple patch for Northern Ireland - he scored three times in his first three games for Norn Iron.

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

The last Conor we signed after playing the previous season at Sheffield United worked out well :eek:

Maybe we just offered a contract to Conor, and the wrong one signed!

NaturalOrder74
11 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

First team start striker for Northern Ireland who are actually winning their Euro games, despite not scoring still played regularly for a premiership promoted side,,decent CV, don’t think we can ask for much more, certainly better than paying 350k for a striker from league 2 like the vermin

23 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

I actually think we do have pace in the team but the way we have been playing football does not enable it to be utilised. We have tended to play with our backs to goal and on the back foot. You can have all the pace in the world but if you are starting from a static position or getting fed the ball behind you it tends to kill your potential forward momentum. 

I agree with your points about the way we play however with the current squad I believe the only player we have with real pace is Jake Mulraney.

FarmerTweedy
17 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Because last season isn't his only previous season in football.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, jambopilms said:

Any truth in this happening or just the papers taking rumours off KB

Notts claims that he is due to sign. Usually a good sign.

FarmerTweedy
11 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

i8 clearly gets bullied on here.  It’s actually ridiculous.  He says good stuff about Clare and Edwards, completely ignored, every single post is jumped on.  

He's an attention seeking, trolling, drama queen. He gets called out for it quite a bit, but that's what he's looking for, really.  Of course, that means me and everyone else who does so from time to time are being a bit silly really, as it just encourages him to do it more!

26 minutes ago, 7628mm said:

agree.  There needs to be more freedom in our play. We look bred on being rigid with  the full backs in particular rarely venturing into the last third. 

That may well come down to the mentality of the player but it needs to change. I feel full backs have their part to play when you attack. Over the years we’ve had good combinations appear between either side and the wide midfielder or winger, don’t think we’ve had that recently. 

Governor Tarkin
17 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

True.

5 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

He's an attention seeking, trolling, drama queen. He gets called out for it quite a bit, but that's what he's looking for, really. 

Also true. Doesn't make him a bad person, though.

9 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Notts claims that he is due to sign. Usually a good sign.

Notts talks as much pish as i8*, but on this occasion I trust your faith in him to be well founded.

* Not really.

Evening News says we are fighting it out with other Scottish teams and Championship & League One teams for him.

Doesnt mention any teams so could be nonsense

58 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There are no guarantees but he looks as promising a player as we can get I think. 

You are right but I can (almost) guarantee 2 things.

CL said he was looking to sign upgrades and it looks like we're going to see Naisy, Halkett, Washington and Walker in the ranks.

Leaving SN aside because he's been with us, consider

whether Halkett is better than Shaughnessy,

whether Washington is better than Sammon

and

whether Walker is better than Martin. 

I would say CL seems to be delivering on his promises - if they all sign.

23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

True.

Also true. Doesn't make him a bad person, though.

Notts talks as much pish as i8*, but on this occasion I trust your faith in him to be well founded.

* Not really.

?

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

33 goals for Peterborough in 2 years before joining QPR for £2.5m Mainly a sub for QPR before a year at newly promoted Sheff Utd and not used much there.  Based on Peterborough and his international form there is massive potential in the lad.  

Agreed. This could be a very useful signing! Pleasing stuff. When we add Walker & Naismith it's beginning to look like a very decent window. Still feel that if Djoum doesn't re-sign, we'll need another strong CM. 

20 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You are right but I can (almost) guarantee 2 things.

CL said he was looking to sign upgrades and it looks like we're going to see Naisy, Halkett, Washington and Walker in the ranks.

Leaving SN aside because he's been with us, consider

whether Halkett is better than Shaughnessy,

whether Washington is better than Sammon

and

whether Walker is better than Martin. 

I would say CL seems to be delivering on his promises - if they all sign.

Just to add

Whether White is better then Mitchell 

Edited by I.T.K

3 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Just to add

Whether White is better then Mitchell 

Yes, forgot about him.  He's supposed to be pacy so that will be a boost.

Mr Elwood P
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I gave up caring years ago. I have no interest in any team on the planet except Hearts. I actually find football in general pretty darn shite. Hope this clears this up.

You have no interest in football generally, yet somehow feel qualified to write off the next 10 years of Craig Wighton’s career and cast spurious and potentially defamatory accusation in the direction of the club’s medical staff? Interesting ...

If we do get him we’re doing well. The money has got even more mental down south this summer. I mentioned on another thread that Rotherham have just paid a reported £500k on a striker from Plymouth. Getting an international from one of the bigger clubs is a bit of a coup I’d say. 

Just now, Tazio said:

If we do get him we’re doing well. The money has got even more mental down south this summer. I mentioned on another thread that Rotherham have just paid a reported £500k on a striker from Plymouth. Getting an international from one of the bigger clubs is a bit of a coup I’d say. 

Absolutely, I'll be hugely impressed big we manage to land this ?

CloustonHMFC
13 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You have no interest in football generally, yet somehow feel qualified to write off the next 10 years of Craig Wighton’s career and cast spurious and potentially defamatory accusation in the direction of the club’s medical staff? Interesting ...

???

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

there's your answer, you've never heard of him so looking at his stats tell you nothing

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Maybe so, but in the Championship season we were superior to most of the other teams and were constantly on the front foot. It is isn't like that in the top league and even games at Tynie where we are favourites we will have spells on the back foot. 

Also, Mulraney deserves to start over any new signings. I think that's only right given the way he improved over the course of the season. 

A 4-2-3-1 is definitely viable against bottom six teams at Tynecastle.

Nobody deserves to start yet. The players performing in pre-season and the League Cup deserve to start. I a quite excited about Mulraney though. Looks a very shrewd bit of business.

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

He just posts shite to get reactions most of the time (or get the attention he desperately craves). He didn't last long on the other forum either for presumably the same reasons.

doctor jambo
12 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He's been a regular for Northern Ireland over the past 5 years, playing out wide and as an out and out striker. Exactly what we need.

Presumably you have Geoff bound and gagged in his basement.

tell us your demands, and we’ll allow you to dispose of him

The Apprentice

The EEN article would suggest it isn't as nailed on as other sites/sources seem to think.  Very non-committal either way though and covering all bases.

He'll be offered bigger terms elsewhere if there's Championship teams floating about so I reckon it could come down to the McPhee influence if that's the case.

Dalstonjambo
1 minute ago, The Apprentice said:

The EEN article would suggest it isn't as nailed on as other sites/sources seem to think.  Very non-committal either way though and covering all bases.

He'll be offered bigger terms elsewhere if there's Championship teams floating about so I reckon it could come down to the McPhee influence if that's the case.

Am i the only one that thinks the EEN is just running the story because other sources are? They don't seem to have any new information, and they ran a very similar article about a week ago with a very similar body. Almost suggests to me it has been rushed out because other sources reported it.

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, Dalstonjambo said:

Am i the only one that thinks the EEN is just running the story because other sources are? They don't seem to have any new information, and they ran a very similar article about a week ago with a very similar body. Almost suggests to me it has been rushed out because other sources reported it.

Sky says it's in the final stages of the deal.

tartofmidlothian
2 hours ago, gov said:

probs get beasted for this and i am not a football manager but i think it may be something like this

image.png.abc39db4845221297586002ad7f43ef8.png

now im going to run away and await the abuse haha. Also personally i would like to see Mulraney keep his place and hickey given a good run in the team but have to understand he is only 16

This, but with Mulraney instead of White. Unless White proves to be an absolute beast of a signing straight out the blocks.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Options never a bad thing.

I don't think Djoum will be back now, and as much as I think he will be missed in the defensive half, there is an opportunity now to go far more attacking. Harings partner I think should be Irving to begin with, Haring wins it Irving pings it.

Uche creates the holes, the other guys running into them.

Could be a 3 or a 4 at the back, conundrum is Berra. How do you leave out such a leader and a colossus, but he cant pass, that could still be a difficulty for us

18 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

More chance of people clicking on the link that says the deal is in trouble imo, little bit click baity

Edited by Feeno

Governor Tarkin
35 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Presumably you have Geoff bound and gagged in his basement.

tell us your demands, and we’ll allow you to dispose of him

:lol:

Selkirkhmfc1874

Another positive in our favour is Michael o'Neill lives in Edinburgh and watches hearts live frequently