Conor Washington signs for Hearts ( updated )

tartofmidlothian

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Beast Boy

• Absolute Scenes

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

His record is just okay as a striker

He got a big move in 2016 and it did not seem to work out nor his move to Sheffield United last season so he still has things to prove

Our Assistant Manager has seen him at close quarters so you'd like to think we have a pretty good idea of his talents but it's the type of signing you hope will work out.

I'd imagine his wages will be pretty high at our level so lets look on the positive side and be happy we have boosted the squad in one of the areas that needed some improvement

The English Championship is a much higher level than the Scottish Premiership, hence why Naismith, Lafferty, Stewart etc can't get a game there but have been absolute standouts up here.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Correct. A rarity these days in that he is a player who wants to take opponents on. He could be a great foil for Uche or could easily swap in a flexible formation with Naismith who likes to drift in from the left.

Geoff you have probably watched more of this boy at international level. Thoughts?

Be a very good signing in by opinion. Think my issue with strikers at Hearts over the last 20 years hasn't been so much with the strikers themselves (although there's been some horrendous ones), but with the supply. Washington looks good in these clips with passes to feet, we need to make sure we have players that can do that and we're not relying solely on 50 yard hopefuls from Berra for him, or uche to knock it down to him. Sort the midfield, sort the goals. 

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Derek O'Connor.

That winner at ER in 1984...

:clyay:

CL got the equalizer. Wonderful day for us; complete opposite for the emailing scuttlers. 

Edited by martoon

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Geoff you have probably watched more of this boy at international level. Thoughts?

He's a cracking player. The fact Michael O'Neill has a tendency to favour him as a lone striker in away games over Lafferty or Boyce is the most telling factor. He also likes to use him wide left or wide right if he wants a more attacking formation. He's good in either position.

As I say, this is more like it. I think he will combine really well with Uche. I had no idea he was available but more like this please.

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Changed the game with his running & goal recently, against the Estonians.

He wouldn't just be sat around the penalty box, put it that way.

This could be an actual game changer regarding the role of MacPhees role at the club too.  It isn’t the first time him and Michael O’Neil seem to have fantastic influences on signings. 

24 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Washington can play wide as well as playing up front. Walker's days of playing in wider areas are gone and playing off the striker is Naismith's remit. I doubt Walker would be happy being paid as a back-up so to me he would be an expensive sub (if fit).

Why are they gone 

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, NB GIN said:

Why are they gone 

Because he's as fast as Kevin Twaddle.

13 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

His record is just okay as a striker

He got a big move in 2016 and it did not seem to work out nor his move to Sheffield United last season so he still has things to prove

Our Assistant Manager has seen him at close quarters so you'd like to think we have a pretty good idea of his talents but it's the type of signing you hope will work out.

I'd imagine his wages will be pretty high at our level so lets look on the positive side and be happy we have boosted the squad in one of the areas that needed some improvement

Hard to disagree he does look good in the videos hope we get him 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

This could be an actual game changer regarding the role of MacPhees role at the club too.  It isn’t the first time him and Michael O’Neil seem to have fantastic influences on signings. 

It can't be that long until O'Neil gets fed up with international football, too. He feels a bit like a Hearts manager in waiting, especially as long as McPhee's with us.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He is a very good player Jamie Walker better winger than anything we have by a country mile 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Incldentally, this to me is why the Lafferty return wasn't the best option, even if he was available. Washington is exactly the type of player who can combine better with Uche as he can work the channels and occupy defenders with runs from deep. Lafferty has the ability to do that but it isn't his natural game

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He's a cracking player. The fact Michael O'Neill has a tendency to favour him as a lone striker in away games over Lafferty or Boyce is the most telling factor. He also likes to use him wide left or wide right if he wants a more attacking formation. He's good in either position.

As I say, this is more like it. I think he will combine really well with Uche. I had no idea he was available but more like this please.

I think all the signings or potential signings this window look very good:

White

Halkett

Naismith

Walker

Washinton

They all have experience of British football whether that be English or Scottish. Two of the players have played for Hearts recently. Halkett we've been scouting for two years now. We've also emptied:

Vanacek

Martin

Sammon

Shaughnessy 

All looking very positive just now.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Walker's main asset was never his pace from what I remember. Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I though, especially latterly, his strengths were being skillful on the ball, cutting in from wide or roving centrally and getting decent shots off. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

It can't be that long until O'Neil gets fed up with international football, too. He feels a bit like a Hearts manager in waiting, especially as long as McPhee's with us.

There are 3/4 million reasons why that is unlikely.

Michael O'Neill will end up as a Championship manager after this qualifying tournament and hopefully finals.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Incldentally, this to me is why the Lafferty return wasn't the best option, even if he was available. Washington is exactly the type of player who can combine better with Uche as he can work the channels and occupy defenders with runs from deep. Lafferty has the ability to do that but it isn't his natural game

Lafferty scores 19 goals with us maybe if he had the natural game it would have been 20 

Mr Elwood P

Mentioning Twaddle and Walker in the same breath should be a three match ban!

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Mentioning Twaddle and Walker in the same breath should be a three match ban!

Your bang on there mr P

Mr Elwood P
Just now, NB GIN said:

Lafferty scores 19 goals with us maybe if he had the natural game it would have been 20 

I'd take both is possible. We've managed to get Sammon and Vanacek off the wage bill so conceivable that we could add two strikers. More so if Naismith is to be played in an attacking midfield role.

Guest ToqueJambo

There are 3/4 million reasons why that is unlikely.

Michael O'Neill will end up as a Championship manager after this qualifying tournament and hopefully finals.

We can but dream. I never imagined Killie would get Steve Clarke or Hibs Neil Lennon considering their previous clubs so never say never. Plus O'Neill has strong Edinburgh connections and the English management scene - especially the Championship and League One - is unbelievably cut throat. It's carnage, discarded managers just lying around the streets whimpering.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I'd take both is possible. We've managed to get Sammon and Vanacek off the wage bill so conceivable that we could add two strikers. More so if Naismith is to be played in an attacking midfield role.

Looking good I would say impressed by what’s happening especially JW coming back class act he is 

Edited by NB GIN

rudi must stay
21 minutes ago, Barack said:

Changed the game with his running & goal recently, against the Estonians.

He wouldn't just be sat around the penalty box, put it that way.

Only at Hearts can we be delighted how a player played v Estonia :D

Interesting one, but I think it's important to keep our feet on the ground if he does sign.

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

A rival for Shiteon perhaps?

I think the championship is a bit tougher than the spl. 

Inch Hearts
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Dont think there’s a hope of that any time soon.  Best outcome is he keeps away from Scotland and goes down south extending links.  The least Hibs, hibs player ever.  

Just now, davemclaren said:

Can't say too much as never heard of the boy till this thread but his stats are poor. I would take Washington's granny over Wighton though. An absolutely diabolical footballer.

If Wighton was at the birds world cup right now he would be the waterboy.

julienbrellier

Naismith and Washington?? Really?? Two lads with international experience and proven at this level, joke, expect more from Levein.  As for Walker and Halkett, another two players who have a proven track record as SPL standouts. shite signings :leveinnaturalorder:

Famous 1874
8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Slightly. But there is plenty of terrible teams down there too. Especially with the money.

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Can't say too much as never heard of the boy till this thread but his stats are poor. I would take Washington's granny over Wighton though. An absolutely diabolical footballer.

If Wighton was at the birds world cup right now he would be the waterboy.

You’ve never heard of a Northern Irish International, who has played alongside a number of our players and is managed on international duty by our assistant manager? If you have such a shocking base knowledge of football, your input becomes even less relevant. That in itself is quite the achievement.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Famous 1874 said:

Slightly. But there is plenty of terrible teams down there too. Especially with the money.

Slightly? The English Championship is miles ahead of the Scottish Premiership!

Famous 1874
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Slightly? The English Championship is miles ahead of the Scottish Premiership!

Celtic and Rangers would romp it and I would expect us Aberdeen and Hibs to all be in and around mid table with Killie St Johnstone and Motherwell all kicking about fighting relegation. 

Money obsessed down there, can’t see many teams being able to cope with going to Tynecastle, Celtic Park or Ibrox.

Tougher game up here, more intense and physical. 

4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Celtic and Rangers would romp it and I would expect us Aberdeen and Hibs to all be in and around mid table with Killie St Johnstone and Motherwell all kicking about fighting relegation. 

Money obsessed down there, can’t see many teams being able to cope with going to Tynecastle, Celtic Park or Ibrox.

Your final sentence is absolute nonsense. The English Championship and League One is very physical.

Mr Elwood P
4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

How do two teams romp the same league?

Famous 1874
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Your final sentence is absolute nonsense. The English Championship and League One is very physical.

Physical yes but not as much up here. Done plenty of research as a scout before. 

Quite excited about this.  Couldn't judge in the video if he's two footed but he's certainly composed.  Looks the part to me.

I should know this but I don't.  When  a club is looking to sign a player, is a signing on fee of say £50,000 usually part of the deal?

I was surprised to learn that Gary Naismith received £2,000 when he made his 1st team debut.

5 hours ago, martoon said:

That winner at ER in 1984...

:clyay:

CL got the equalizer. Wonderful day for us; complete opposite for the emailing scuttlers. 

My first derby. Can't believe it was 35 year ago

StirlingJambo
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Washington can play wide as well as playing up front. Walker's days of playing in wider areas are gone and playing off the striker is Naismith's remit. I doubt Walker would be happy being paid as a back-up so to me he would be an expensive sub (if fit).

He’ll not necessarily be on the bench and if he is that’s what wee need strong players coming of the bench to change games. Need a strong 16 not 11. Look what happened to us last season when a good core of our starting 11 got injured. 

Edited by StirlingJambo

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Now that is telling!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the guy play so I’ll reserve judgement until I see him in the flesh.

Assuming he signs of course.....

I'm sort of scared to get excited about any signings these days 

Looks decent, by god we are due a wee gem for once, hope this lads it 

He's a work horse I've been told 

Which Makes him better than 90% off our current squad