England - future world domination? (NHC)

Alex Kintner

Alex Kintner

Lot of talk last year from the media and some posters on here about how England were going to go on and dominate world football for the next ten years. They had reached the World Cup semi and their youth teams were reigning champions at every level. 

Fast forward twelve months:

-men’s team horsed by Holland and could only manage a goalless draw with Switzerland.

- u21s papped out of the Euros after conceding 9 goals in 3 matches

-u20s failed to even qualify for next years World Cup and finished 9th at the Toulon tournament

-u17s eliminated from Euro Championships and didn’t even qualify for World Cup

Pride before a fall etc.

PA-20111859.jpg

Edited by To Be Frank

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doctor jambo

• Nookie Bear

• Alex Kintner

• RudiHMFC

26 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Lot of talk last year from the media and some posters on here about how England were going to go on and dominate world football for the next ten years. They had reached the World Cup semi and their youth teams were reigning champions at every level. 

Fast forward twelve months:

-men’s team horsed by Holland and could only manage a goalless draw with Switzerland.

- u21s papped out of the Euros after conceding 9 goals in 3 matches

-u20s failed to even qualify for next years World Cup and finished 9th at the Toulon tournament

-u17s eliminated from Euro Championships and didn’t even qualify for World Cup

Pride before a fall etc.

PA-20111859.jpg

One of the posters in question always puts me in mind of this quote about Will from The Inbetweeners, for some reason:

You've just got an accent that makes us think you're clever, but you're not.
You're just as much of a ****ing idiot as these two.

Personally believe Scotland have a lot to look forward to but it seems at all youth groups it boils down to attitude and a lot fall away

The level headed among us realised that they had the easiest passage to a world cup final they could have ever wished for and still came up short in the semis.

That was enough for them to convince themselves they are just about to dominate international football :lol:

I re Jon they should bring la.pard, Terry and Gerrard back.

They were fantastic.

?????

doctor jambo

When we are even vaguely on the same level, then I will start lobbing criticism at them.

On every level imaginable, at every age group, gender and competition they are playing an entirely different sport.

Somehow contriving to pop at England after our superstars were roasted by Kazakhstan, leaving us struggling AGAIN.

Last time we even made it to a competition I was still at Uni.

I'm now as close to retiring as I am to then.......

Just now, doctor jambo said:

When we are even vaguely on the same level, then I will start lobbing criticism at them.

On every level imaginable, at every age group, gender and competition they are playing an entirely different sport.

Somehow contriving to pop at England after our superstars were roasted by Kazakhstan, leaving us struggling AGAIN.

That's like the Hearts - Celtic comparison. You can't slag Celtic in Europe because we didn't even make it etc etc. 

Bullshit.

We can absolutely have a pop at those delusional ***** whenever we like.

tokyowalnut
3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We know our level and don't proclaim to be anything more. Kazakhastan was 3 games or so ago, there have been some big changes since then so I don't really get your apparent rant. We'll never compete with England, i think we all know that, doesn't mean we can't comment on them.

AlphonseCapone
15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You're missing the most important point. 

doctor jambo
5 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

You're missing the most important point. 

That we are horrifically jealous of everything to do with English football?

That from an even keel we are now trailing so far behind we can barely see them in the distance?

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

That from an even keel we are now trailing so far behind we can barely see them in the distance?

You're jealous of English football? 

doctor jambo
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

You're jealous of English football? 

4 places in the Champions League.

All 4 euro competition finalists.

Billions sloshing around.

WC semi finalists.

Lionesses may win the womens WC.

World class players and coaches in the domestic league.

Genuine competition at the top of  the league.

Worldwide interest in the League.

Some of the finest stadia in the world.

Scottish kids stotting around in EPL tops.

The only thing we have left is sentimentality.

Mr Elwood P
42 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I re Jon they should bring la.pard, Terry and Gerrard back.

They were fantastic.

?????

Wine time in NZ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

The Lionesses are still flying the flag ??????? 

Funny how their opinion of VAR has changed in the last week or so :lol:

40 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

We don't pretend that we are anything special.

They somehow think they are the master race yet have the poorest International honours record of all the football nations of similar size and population.

Comparing a nation of 5 million with a nation of 55 million which also has every financial advantage possible is not very fair imo.

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Funny how their opinion of VAR has changed in the last week or so :lol:

Missed that, although any one of those countries would take a VAR-assisted World Cup win.

Everyone's opinions of the plucky Cameroon team changed, mind.

13 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

4 places in the Champions League.

All 4 euro competition finalists.

Billions sloshing around.

WC semi finalists.

Lionesses may win the womens WC.

World class players and coaches in the domestic league.

Genuine competition at the top of  the league.

Worldwide interest in the League.

Some of the finest stadia in the world.

Scottish kids stotting around in EPL tops.

The only thing we have left is sentimentality.

Lionesses :lol: come on now, like any one could give a single **** about women's football it's not relevant to any discussion about men's football.

You sound like the kind of guy that should be renewing his sky subscription and settling in for a season of supporting whatever English team you randomly choose to support, personally I wouldn't swap supporting a diddy Scottish club for any of that shit that you mention, you obviously just don't really get it.

44 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Southgate is and always has been a fraud of a coach

Not sure what you are basing this on?

Come across very well, professional and seems to be getting the best out of his players. What do you expect from him?

Nookie Bear
Just now, RudiHMFC said:

Lionesses :lol: come on now, like any one could give a single **** about women's football it's not relevant to any discussion about men's football.

You sound like the kind of guy that should be renewing his sky subscription and settling in for a season of supporting whatever English team you randomly choose to support, personally I wouldn't swap supporting a diddy Scottish club for any of that shit that you mention, you obviously just don't really get it.

The success of the Lionesses reflects very positively on the overall English game, just like our Ladies team can only be good for Hearts FC ^_^

doctor jambo
3 minutes ago, luckydug said:

We don't pretend that we are anything special.

They somehow think they are the master race yet have the poorest International honours record of all the football nations of similar size and population.

Comparing a nation of 5 million with a nation of 55 million which also has every financial advantage possible is not very fair imo.

True, but I'm not really one to stand in a glasshouse throwing rocks.

For our population size we are really shite.

Compare us to other smallish euro nations- Wales, Czechs, NI, RofI, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, ICELAND, we are utter, utter, utter balls

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

The success of the Lionesses reflects very positively on the overall English game, just like our Ladies team can only be good for Hearts FC ^_^

I don't know if this is serious or not tbh. 

47 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

We know our level and don't proclaim to be anything more. Kazakhastan was 3 games or so ago, there have been some big changes since then so I don't really get your apparent rant. We'll never compete with England, i think we all know that, doesn't mean we can't comment on them.

Also doesn't mean we can't compete against them on the occasional one to one game.

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I don't watch English football- at all.

Would I swap our league standards and international standards for theirs?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Our own forum has had discussions about joining the English set up.

Wonder how many English teams would consider joining ours?

The EPL kills the national side and they are so consumed by money that they can’t see it. It’s great. 

I listen to talk sport on my way in and out of work (CD player is broke) and you honestly should’ve heard them building up the nations cup semi. Was all about how they could be in their first major final since 66. They backed this up by saying how they could have the under 21 euro champions, the ladies World Cup winners etc. 4 weeks later and the ladies are their only hope ?? amazing. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

One of the posters in question always puts me in mind of this quote about Will from The Inbetweeners, for some reason:

You've just got an accent that makes us think you're clever, but you're not.
You're just as much of a ****ing idiot as these two.

Now who could that be ??

7 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

I don't watch English football- at all.

Would I swap our league standards and international standards for theirs?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Our own forum has had discussions about joining the English set up.

Wonder how many English teams would consider joining ours?

Why do you think it's possible for the SPFL to be on the same level as the English premier League? 

10 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

True, but I'm not really one to stand in a glasshouse throwing rocks.

For our population size we are really shite.

Compare us to other smallish euro nations- Wales, Czechs, NI, RofI, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, ICELAND, we are utter, utter, utter balls

The Scottish cringe is strong here. I take it you never cheer when celtic get cuffed?? 

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

The EPL kills the national side and they are so consumed by money that they can’t see it. It’s great. 

I listen to talk sport on my way in and out of work (CD player is broke) and you honestly should’ve heard them building up the nations cup semi. Was all about how they could be in their first major final since 66. They backed this up by saying how they could have the under 21 euro champions, the ladies World Cup winners etc. 4 weeks later and the ladies are their only hope ?? amazing. 

Pundits talk up  their league and national side vs ours who talk up 2 teams in our league.

They have a +ve view of what is going on - we are in a dark hole compared to England

doctor jambo
1 minute ago, XB52 said:

The Scottish cringe is strong here. I take it you never cheer when celtic get cuffed?? 

NO cringe here, I'd love us to be a success.

Nookie Bear
18 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

I don't know if this is serious or not tbh. 

Not entirely, but then why should the Hearts message board take English football so seriously?

But the Lionesses do show that English football is very much alive and kicking :)

Inch Hearts
12 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Aye English football is really struggling. A real dark age for them right now. 

#prayforenglishfootball meanwhile, rangers top signings of the season comes from Oldham and Charlton and we prepare to welcome back a player who is getting punted off Wigan, hibs Reading.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
46 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Missed that, although any one of those countries would take a VAR-assisted World Cup win.

Everyone's opinions of the plucky Cameroon team changed, mind.

They didn't like it when it worked against them and condemned Cameroon for albeit an extreme but nevertheless similar view. 

VAR is going to be that way,  a lot people not going to like fair 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Are Scottish people still doing the anti English stuff? 

:gok:

It’s 2019! 

I know. We should be like the English and be anti everything else 

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

They didn't like it when it worked against them and condemned Cameroon for albeit an extreme but nevertheless similar view. 

VAR is going to be that way,  a lot people not going to like fair 

True.

Cameroon were embarrassing tbf and should have been playing with 9 women.

To be honest, the only thing i want from the World Cup is for the USA not to win it :laugh2:

Brighton Jambo

As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

Some England fans got overexcited and made claims before the team has really achieved anything but most feel that genuine progress is being made.  

My view, England did better at World Cup than expected but rightly faced an accusation of not beating top teams.

they then beat Spain and Croatia to top they Nations league group.  Before falling short again but finishing third.  So more, incremental progress overall from nations league competition.

Really don’t understand the poster calling Southgate a fraud, and anyone who believes England aren’t at least on the right track is perhaps too filled with anti English sentiment to have a sensible discussion with.  

Alex Kintner

English national team does not equate to English club football.

I enjoy watching English club football and while the finances are no doubt going to implode at some point it is currently full of world class footballers. The standard matches the hype.

In terms of the national team, there is even more hype but once again they’ve fallen well short of their own elevated expectations and I’m not ashamed to say it gives me great pleasure in the same way it does when Hibs and the Old Firm do.

:jjyay:

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

True.

Cameroon were embarrassing tbf and should have been playing with 9 women.

To be honest, the only thing i want from the World Cup is for the USA not to win it :laugh2:

Can't get into it myself. The keepers still let the overall product down. 

I know some lovely Norwegian ladies hopefully they do well 

44 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Also the young English side at the WC that was actually the same average as the French

Number 1 problem is that other countries are improving too. 

Number 2 problem and the biggest is whether their good young players will actually play enough to develop. Some are but many are not. So time will tell.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Jealous? Of what? 

Even keel, wtf? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.  

Some England fans got overexcited and made claims before the team has really achieved anything but most feel that genuine progress is being made.  

My view, England did better at World Cup than expected but rightly faced an accusation of not beating top teams.

they then beat Spain and Croatia to top they Nations league group.  Before falling short again but finishing third.  So more, incremental progress overall from nations league competition.

Really don’t understand the poster calling Southgate a fraud, and anyone who believes England aren’t at least on the right track is perhaps too filled with anti English sentiment to have a sensible discussion with.  

Sound post alert 

Alex Kintner
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Number 1 problem is that other countries are improving too. 

Number 2 problem and the biggest is whether their good young players will actually play enough to develop. Some are but many are not. So time will tell.

Their achilles heel has been shown recently at both men’s level and u21 level: their defence. No point having Kane, Sterling, Rashford, Foden banging in goals if you’ve got a shite defence at the other end leaking more than you can score.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

Really not tho. 

I'd like our club teams to be more competitive, for example make the europa stages, I'd also like our national team to qualify for tournaments. 

Jealous? 

No way at all. 

The media hype them up, thier fans buy into it and at most games have a wee song or two about us so when they fall from grace it's a bit funny. 

My bosses are spurs and Newcastle fans, between them one has seen a single cup victory. 

I've celebrated more than both of them watching Hearts. 

It's all relative of course but I'd choose Hearts and Scotland 100% of the time over watching better quality. 

As folk have said its like us having a laugh at celtic when they get papped 7-0 in Europe, just because we'd get papped 10-0 does not mean we can't have a laugh at thier expense. 

Football rivalry and banter. 

Imo, the current England team is still handy and unlike the past quite likeable. 

But when they get beat- ha - ha. 

doctor jambo
23 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Jealous? Of what? 

Even keel, wtf? 

In the not too distant we were competitive with England both domestically and internationally.

The captain of England and a number of England internationals were plying their trade north of the border.

We had players in the top flights of Spain, Italy, France, Germany.

Our teams competed in the Euro competitions without disgrace.

Now?