Anyone still buying a newspaper....?

Section Q

This torrential rain has given me a thought. If you don’t buy a paper anymore what do you stuff your shoes with if you get soaked in the rain?

I actually miss the days on holiday when you had to buy a Daily Record to find out the Scottish fitba scores. 

glynnlondon

Used to get the record and Sunday mail religiously would even go hunting shop to shop to find it.

Weegie rags I know but I used to enjoy the likes of Tam Cowan writing in it.

Got a copy the past few days and the price of it is ridiculous.

As for the paper itself it's like a women's and travel magazine section with pages of adverts.

Utter shite and reminds me of the standard which used to be a decent paper 10 or 15 years ago but now , even though it's free I wouldn't even bother picking it up from a tube seat.

On 25/06/2019 at 09:45, Mikey1874 said:

Got a subscription for vouchers to the 'i' working out at 42p an issue or something. Also get the Guardian/ Observer free a few times a week at Waitrose. And I like The Times and pick that up free in coffee shops. I do look at stories online though more are pay / subscription including now The Scotsman.  

What I most like is very interesting features / stories from all walks of life. And opinion pieces not all which I agree with which is also good. 

Quite good to not always looking at a screen and can chose when I read them. On screen quite a lot so better for eyes and more flexible. 

You can get access to thousands of free digital copies of newspapers and magazines via the 'PressReader' app.

All you have to do is obtain a City of Edinburgh Council library card, it takes literally 3mins to join just pop into any local library with photo id and you'll be given a membership card and 4 digit passcode there and then.

Download the PressReader app and choose the  City of Edinburgh Library Member from the drop down option and sign up with your passcode. After you're signed up you can access thousands of newspapers from around the world for free. You can choose up to 20 favourites which are then delivered daily to your phone/tablet, you even get a notification in the morning saying your papers have been delivered. Your favourite papers are downloaded onto your device so you can read them off line and then delete them when they're read.

The papers are in full colour and can be swiped page by page. You can access 90% of UK national and local newspapers including Edinburgh Evening News, Scotsman, Scotland on Sunday, Daily Record, Glasgow Herald. I use to pay  a subscription for the Washington Post but now get free daily access. Thousands of free magazines as well like the New Scientist.

Great app!

Edited by ADAM

Haven't bought a paper in years, only time I read them is when you get a freeby at the airport. Times or Telegraph have decent crosswords that help while away the journey.  

On 29/06/2019 at 20:29, JackLadd said:

I actually miss the days on holiday when you had to buy a Daily Record to find out the Scottish fitba scores. 

I forgot about that. It really wasn't that long ago thinking about it. 

Paying 3 Euros for a copy of yesterday's daily record... The internet existed but wasn't in everyones pocket and wifi was still in its infancy.  

On 25/06/2019 at 01:08, Col1874 said:

Plenty of the older generation so do. My dad still gets his Sunday papers & Peeblesshire News every week without fail. 

My Dad still likes his Daily Mail.

Then reads it online :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

I forgot about that. It really wasn't that long ago thinking about it. 

Paying 3 Euros for a copy of yesterday's daily record... The internet existed but wasn't in everyones pocket and wifi was still in its infancy.  

yeah, and you'd read the magazines you bought at the airport back to front. Still do that actually, except I read em once and not three times.