Eurostar sets alcohol limits on trains.

Bridge of Djoum

Bridge of Djoum

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48742530

Personally I don't see any problem with this. If you can't take a relatively short train journey without tanning more than a bottle of wine or 4 beers, you have issues. 

Particularly funny was the boy saying... ''you mean I can't bring a 6-pack of Belgian beer home from Brussels''?

:rofl:

If only there was some way of buying Belgian beer in the UK...

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

It does seem a bit draconian to me, but ultimately:

1) If there's been issues, then Eurostar have a responsibility to deal with it

2) The trains belong to them, they can run them as they see fit. If you don't want to follow their rules then don't use them. No-one is forcing you 

3) As BoD says, if you need a bottle of vodka to complete a 90 minute trip, then there are other factors at play which you probably need to address.  

And are they about to search every passenger to ensure this rule is observed?

Stupid. 

36 minutes ago, trotter said:

3) As BoD says, if you need a bottle of vodka to complete a 90 minute trip, then there are other factors at play which you probably need to address.  

It's not about that though is it. You visit a vineyard and buy a few bottles of red to take home(not to drink on the train). Oops. You're then not allowed to take them on the train in your luggage.

Stupid policy.

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

And are they about to search every passenger to ensure this rule is observed?

Stupid. 

They already do - airport style security prior to boarding.

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

It's not about that though is it. You visit a vineyard and buy a few bottles of red to take home(not to drink on the train). Oops. You're then not allowed to take them on the train in your luggage.

Stupid policy.

Just the same as when flying.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Stupid policy.

You can take them in your luggage, if you pay. 

16 hours ago, Dunks said:

Just the same as when flying.

You can carry as much alcohol as you like on a plane. You can also carry spirits.  You might have to pay tax on some of it depending the quantity but you can carry it all the same. 

davemclaren
Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Jesus wept. That was Heart of Midlothian's fault. All that free booze in the Gorgie Suite. 

We are all allowed one mistake and since my ban was lifted by my better half I have drunk there in comparative moderation. 

Speaking of being banned; at least my wife lifted hers....

Unlike some others.....

??

22 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48742530

Personally I don't see any problem with this. If you can't take a relatively short train journey without tanning more than a bottle of wine or 4 beers, you have issues. 

Particularly funny was the boy saying... ''you mean I can't bring a 6-pack of Belgian beer home from Brussels''?

Good news IMO. 

8 hours ago, IronJambo said:

You can carry as much alcohol as you like on a plane. You can also carry spirits.  You might have to pay tax on some of it depending the quantity but you can carry it all the same. 

Only if you buy it air side.

7 hours ago, Dunks said:

Only if you buy it air side.

Wait, no, maybe if you're outside the EU? But inside, nah . . .

https://www.gov.uk/duty-free-goods/arrivals-from-eu-countries

image.png.f93cc026400563248074a3f23044bcd0.png

So 110 litres of beer . . . versus a four pack. :lol:Seems legit.

On 24/06/2019 at 20:26, Bridge of Djoum said:

I was excited to get over here and have much better access to Belgian beer--and for cheaper--than in the US.

Well, you probably have more of it available to you in the Big Apple than there is here, and probably for the same price too. The selection is a joke.

For comments about it being absurd to moan about not being able to bring a 6 pack back from Brussels. It might be an alien thought to most of you but Brussels and Paris and closer to me than Edinburgh is. Paris is easily done in a day trip and at less than £50 for a return ticket it hardly breaks the bank. You would expect that it wouldn't be an issue to take a suitcase full of wine home.

5 hours ago, Justin Z said:

I was excited to get over here and have much better access to Belgian beer--and for cheaper--than in the US.

Well, you probably have more of it available to you in the Big Apple than there is here, and probably for the same price too. The selection is a joke.

That's for hold luggage, not carry on :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Dunks said:

That's for hold luggage, not carry on :thumbsup:

Well true, but there's no distinction on a train really. Seems like if they're going to have this policy, then Eurostar ought to differentiate between alcohol you're planning to consume on their train and alcohol you're taking home with you.

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Yeah, there are dedicated Belgian bars here in BK. Always messy. 

3 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Well true, but there's no distinction on a train really. Seems like if they're going to have this policy, then Eurostar ought to differentiate between alcohol you're planning to consume on their train and alcohol you're taking home with you.

They've backtracked now, and are now saying you can do what you suggest above and can take more as long as it's unopened for the journey.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48777715

8 hours ago, Justin Z said:

They have - you can check luggage in to the "hold".

Moot point now though :thumbsup:

fabienleclerq

Pretty hard to enforce this same as it is on trains here. Would imagine they will just use it fir folk wrecked already.