No new goalie this year

Blackford Hearts

Blackford Hearts

Disappointed to read that no new goalie coming in. 

Thought both were weak and susceptible to errors. 

Spine of team is vital and think missed opportunity to strengthen

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• HMFC86

• Blackford Hearts

• Famous 1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prefer a new  keeper but probably 4th / 5th in line of priorities, if not more

Naismith

Goal scorer 

Creative box to box midfielder

Quality wide man with pace

Fit good left back

Maybe if we sign some attacking players and actually score some goals, our defence won’t be constantly under pressure and we won’t be so reliant on our defence/ keeper keeping clean sheets.

heartsfc_fan

Zlamal is fine. It can't help the amount of injures we've had and the unsettling nature it can have on keepers when they don't have that usual guy defenders in front of them.

Doyle on the other hand...no thanks.

Mr Elwood P
40 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

We were never signing a keeper. Levein stated right at the start that we were after 2 strikers and 1 winger. He repeated this the other day that we’re after 3 attacking players. Never been any hint of a new goalkeeper or new left back.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Very disappointed with this. 

Bobby’s rash decision in the cup final was the turning point that sold the game to Celtic (irrespective of the fact that Eduardo dived, Bobby made it look like a penalty) We had our foot on their throat up to that point.

CL saying he and Doyle are good enough is a reason why we will probably fail to win any honours when the chips are down. 

Goalkeeper is a position that we could easily upgrade. That CL doesn’t seem concerned speaks volumes about why we will continue to scrape into the top 6 at best.

Zlamal is a lot better than a few give him credit for.

Doyle is a worry as backup though. He’s only had one really good game that I can think of and even in that one he chucked in the winner in the last minute.

Maybe a chance for Mason to push on.

kingantti1874

Does anyone think we will be offering Harry stone first team opportunities in the next year or 2 to persuade him to stay. 

fabienleclerq

Not great news, we have two average goalkeepers. I'm starting to wonder if the two/three quality options Levein said we would be adding will materialise or we will just hang around waiting for something that never comes. 

letsalldothebeattie

Bit disappointed in this news we have 2 good goalkeepers but we have 2 goalkeepers very capable of howlers and that’s not what you want if you want to be challenging for trophies. 

Blackford Hearts
1 hour ago, E3OBE said:

Maybe if we sign some attacking players and actually score some goals, our defence won’t be constantly under pressure and we won’t be so reliant on our defence/ keeper keeping clean sheets.

Positive way of looking at it ?

Doyle is Humpty.

Happy with zlamal but was hoping a new keeper would come in to challenge and keep him on his game.

Still there is other areas of the squad that need improvement first

11 minutes ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Thanks.

I dont think this is our weakest are just now. I would rather focus at the other end of the park. 

I was not impressed with Doyle, but I think there is a player in there. 

A_A wehatethehibs

I suspected this might be the case, I’m not aware of any decent free agent keepers around this summer. Gordon has another year on his Celtic deal, McLaughlin another year at Sunderland. Other than that there’s just not many decent keepers around, we’d probably need to spend £500k on a genuine decent one.

Go all-in on goalscoring with our budget, that’s what I say. Focus all resources on getting players in the building who have an eye for goal.

If you score enough goals it doesn’t matter if you have a dodgy keeper as proven by Joe Hart’s decorated Man City career.

Plus supposedly Harry Stone is a 17 year old Craig Gordon who’s wanted by Watford and Celtic, maybe the boy will fancy his chances actually getting in the Hearts team this year with a couple of humpty keepers for competition. He’s not getting in the Watford or Celtic team for at least 3 years, maybe Levein is thinking to throw him the gloves in the LC group stage, see if he can catch them. 

OmiyaHearts

Zlamal is a decent keeper. No issue with him being number 1 for the upcoming season.

Always difficult to get a quality back-up keeper.

oh ah grantona

Not our weakest position and yes we need to play to score more which should ease pressure, however I very high percentage of goals conceded last season where GK errors and we should be looking at a new number 1 if someone good enough becomes available.

ToadKiller Dog

Zamal is a good keeper, though is in the eccentric keeper mould, so will on occasion have brain farts. 

I'm ok with him. 

Better keepers than him have made errors like his in the cup final. 

Doyle worries me as he looks nervy and slow at times. 

Disappointed as Zlamal is not a top quality keeper. But there are defo bigger priorities that need strengthened this summer.

2 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

How much longer does our son Craig have  left at celtic ? Surely out the picture naw? 

Think he has a year left on his deal. 

CloustonHMFC

Reckon we’ll be holding out for CG next summer. No danger will we pay Celtic any fee for him and doubt they’d sell to us anyway. 

This thread alone shows how Bobby splits the support. 

He is the weakest keeper we have had in a while. He has made several mistakes, not just the odd one. His kicking is pretty ropey as well. 

He is solid, but I just think we should have better. 

13 minutes ago, clouston1992 said:

Reckon we’ll be holding out for CG next summer. No danger will we pay Celtic any fee for him and doubt they’d sell to us anyway. 

I reckon if Craig got a pay off from Celtic he would jump at the chance to come back. Trouble is Celtic don’t have a replacement and apparently Lenny still sees him as his number 1 as he prefers him to Bain. 

1 hour ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Zamal is a good keeper, though is in the eccentric keeper mould, so will on occasion have brain farts. 

I'm ok with him. 

Better keepers than him have made errors like his in the cup final. 

Doyle worries me as he looks nervy and slow at times. 

The cup final penalty mistake, as much as it annoys me, will  be made countless goal keepers, top class ones at that, most weeks.

15 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

The cup final penalty mistake, as much as it annoys me, will  be made countless goal keepers, top class ones at that, most weeks.

Agree, it was one of those rare moments where literally a split second makes all the difference over whether to come or stay.

Cruyff Turn

Fine by me. I think Bobbys a good keeper. 

I honestly don’t know what people expect? 

The top keepers in the world make howlers. There isn’t a goalkeeper on earth this season that hasn’t made a mistake and that includes Ederson, Becker, Neuer, Lloris, De Gea etc... 

Bobby has made minimal mistakes this year, the one vs Celtic in the final is not a mistake imo, it was a dive. He keeps more from going in than he does giving them away. 

Bungalow Bill

Disappointed by this. Neither are up to scratch. Bobby is a personality but we can do better.

I expect my keeper to be more reliable. If Bobby stayed on his line as Berra was there, there was no decision to make. Celtic Murrayfield game was a howler as was the Livingston penalty in the 5-0. Countless ither times when he punches the ball instead of just catching. His kicking isn’t great either. As i said above hes solid, but we should have better. 

He never comes and catches a cross either. 

Bungalow Bill
14 minutes ago, daftie said:

I expect my keeper to be more reliable. If Bobby stayed on his line as Berra was there, there was no decision to make. Celtic Murrayfield game was a howler as was the Livingston penalty in the 5-0. Countless ither times when he punches the ball instead of just catching. His kicking isn’t great either. As i said above hes solid, but we should have better. 

He never comes and catches a cross either. 

:spoton:

Famous 1874
23 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Fine by me. I think Bobbys a good keeper. 

I honestly don’t know what people expect? 

The top keepers in the world make howlers. There isn’t a goalkeeper on earth this season that hasn’t made a mistake and that includes Ederson, Becker, Neuer, Lloris, De Gea etc... 

Bobby has made minimal mistakes this year, the one vs Celtic in the final is not a mistake imo, it was a dive. He keeps more from going in than he does giving them away. 

Mistake was him coming out for no reason and then diving in. Edouard was going well wide and Berra was tracking him anyways. Bobby coming out and getting in Berra’s way caused the mess. 

Did he dive? Yes but no need for Bobby to come out there. 

FarmerTweedy
3 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Zlamal is fine. It can't help the amount of injures we've had and the unsettling nature it can have on keepers when they don't have that usual guy defenders in front of them.

Doyle on the other hand...no thanks.

My view too.

What I would say about Zlamal is that he isn't as good a keeper as we would ideally like to have, and not as good as some we've had in the past (eg Gordon, Niemi, and probably Kello and Rousset), but finding a better keeper than him wouldn't be easy unless you've plenty of money to throw at it, and there are other areas (the attacking areas) where we are much more in need of strengthening.

My big concern is with Doyle.  He hasn't looked close to good enough IMO, and if Zlamal was out for any length of time, I think we'd be struggling.  If there was an opportunity to move him on and bring in someone else as backup to Bobby, I'd like to see that happen.

In an ideal world, we'd sign someone top drawer and Zlamal would become a good backup, but finances probably dictate that's unlikely to happen any time soon!

We have been lucky enough to have some excellent goalkeepers over the years. The current two don't fall into that category in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Blackford Hearts said:

Doyle is more prone to making mistakes than Bobby. However I do agree with the requirement for a new keeper.  Keep Zlamal as a deputy and get shot of Doyle.

I wouldn't have Doyle in my 5 aside team. 

Bobby is a solid 7/10 keeper. Not the best but usually pretty good.

Cruyff Turn
15 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Mistake was him coming out for no reason and then diving in. Edouard was going well wide and Berra was tracking him anyways. Bobby coming out and getting in Berra’s way caused the mess. 

I think 9 out of 10 keepers would have come for that. 

We_are_the_Hearts
18 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

The mistake was him coming, then stopping, then coming again. If he hadn't hesitated he would have got there first. That's 2 big game errors now so fans are quite rightly asking questions.

If there's a keeper out there who can dominate his box, be proficient with crosses and never make a howler, it's fairly certain that we wouldn't be able to afford him.

One would not expect a manager to come out with a statement like "I want a new keeper.  The pair I've got are humpty" so why take everything he says so seriously.  If he advertises his dissatisfation the price and terms for a replacement increase.

It makes more sense to give them a (sort of) vote of confidence and, if expectations are not met early doors, we can always get in a loan keeper before the window closes, depending on resources available after we've strengthened in other areas.

CloustonHMFC

I like Bobby, he’s a good shot stopper. Yes he has a howler in him but even the best keepers in the world are prone to the occasional howler. Let’s not forget the back line changed more times than my underwear too. 

I still wouldn’t rule out another keeper coming if the right one was to become available. 

Edited by clouston1992