Best Mobile Phone Network

andyscott82

andyscott82

Fine people of Kickback, a little help and advice if you’d be so kind please. 

My current contract with Vodafone has run out, and I’m getting some pretty shan upgrade offers, so have been looking into seeing if there are any better deals out there - which there are. 

I’m quite happy to switch networks, brand loyalty is meaningless for something like this - I want the best price I can get, and am more than happy to try and play them off against each other, but I have to admit that Vodafone’s network has been pretty faultless for me for the last 4 years or so. 

Does anyone have any good arguments for or against any of the other providers out there? If it makes any difference I live in Musselburgh and work in Loanhead, so experience of those areas would be especially welcome. 

Cheers muchly folks. 

Stewie Griffin
45 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

My current contract with Vodafone has run out, and I’m getting some pretty shan upgrade offers, so have been looking into seeing if there are any better deals out there - which there are. 

I’m quite happy to switch networks, brand loyalty is meaningless for something like this - I want the best price I can get, and am more than happy to try and play them off against each other, but I have to admit that Vodafone’s network has been pretty faultless for me for the last 4 years or so. 

Does anyone have any good arguments for or against any of the other providers out there? If it makes any difference I live in Musselburgh and work in Loanhead, so experience of those areas would be especially welcome. 

Cheers muchly folks. 

Have you been looking at Vodafone directly for your upgrade ? You can use other companies to upgrade your existing contract mobiles.co.uk is usually pretty good they are owned by car phone warehouse I think but usually have better deals. 

andyscott82
53 minutes ago, been here before said:

Never had any bother with Tesco.

My folks use Tesco, and looked at them, but looks like I have to get into a 36 month contract which I’m not keen to do. 

49 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ve never had any real bother with Vodafone and would just stick with them tbh.

Would rather, for simplicity’s sake, but if I can get a better deal cheaper it would be daft to really. 

32 minutes ago, Stewie Griffin said:

Have you been looking at Vodafone directly for your upgrade ? You can use other companies to upgrade your existing contract mobiles.co.uk is usually pretty good they are owned by car phone warehouse I think but usually have better deals. 

Yeah, the upgrades I looked at were direct from Vodafone, but the best deals I found were on mobiles.co.uk - but switching to EE or O2, which I’m happy to do if they provide a decent service. 

Thanks for the input chaps, might have to get off my lazy ass and take a trip to Carphone Warehouse before I phone Vodafone up and try and bargain with them. 

andyscott82

Anybody got any experience of Virgin Mobile at all? Getting a great deal from them, but no idea how their network performs. 

9 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

My folks use Tesco, and looked at them, but looks like I have to get into a 36 month contract which I’m not keen to do. 

Would rather, for simplicity’s sake, but if I can get a better deal cheaper it would be daft to really.

Yeah, the upgrades I looked at were direct from Vodafone, but the best deals I found were on mobiles.co.uk - but switching to EE or O2, which I’m happy to do if they provide a decent service. 

Thanks for the input chaps, might have to get off my lazy ass and take a trip to Carphone Warehouse before I phone Vodafone up and try and bargain with them. 

Yeah, but you could wind up with a cheaper deal but an inferior service.

I’d get onto to them and try and hammer out a better deal.

1 hour ago, andyscott82 said:

Cheers muchly folks. 

Been with O2 for many years, very few issue,  decent coverage, good rewards programme.:thumbsup:

Used them all over the years. Back now to EE and never had any problems. O2 always seemed to have signal issues. Do a mobile phone coverage check before purchasing. 

Dagger Is Back
8 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

Anybody got any experience of Virgin Mobile at all? Getting a great deal from them, but no idea how their network performs. 

Virgin works well for me. Just transferred my sons contract to them and they were £20+ pm cheaper than EE. Like the data rollover too - never had a problem with reception. If you know an existing VM customer get them to refer you and split the introductory bonus

EE. Been with them since T-Mobile and Orange joined their networks and then eventually changed to EE. Best coverage and usually decent deals.

I always go to www.mobilesdirect.co.uk for contracts.

Hannibal Lecter
41 minutes ago, andyscott82 said:

They'r a virtual network which uses the EE network to provide its services.

Samuel Camazzola
2 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

Cheers muchly folks. 

Does your employer have a colleague discount scheme? A lot of companies have these which includes 15 - 20% discount on tariffs with Vodafone, O2 etc... 

Konrad von Carstein

Changed from Virgin (useless!!) to 3 10 months ago, very happy with the service and no problem with network coverage....

heartsfc_fan

I'm with Giffgaff. I just do sim only on a 30 day rolling contact. £8 a month. Can't complain.

Don't see the worth in paying £40 a month or whatever for a phone. Plenty of good deals online with some of the Chinese brands like Xiaomi or Oppo. Bit of an outlay at the start and the phone would've paid for itself after a few months

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

EE. Been with them since T-Mobile and Orange joined their networks and then eventually changed to EE. Best coverage and usually decent deals.

I always go to www.mobilesdirect.co.uk for contracts.

I am on EE since they took over Orange and find them good. However, I have been up north for a few days and the signal is patchy but all companies experience problems in mountainous areas. Funnily enough the reception in the northwest of Sutherland was good with three bars in places but barely one in parts of Strathspey where I am right now. I would still say EE can't be beaten though. 

EE’s network is very good and has been top of the table in various independent tests for a while now. For example Root Metric have rated them as the best performing network for 5yrs in a row.

BT Mobile and Virgin Mobile also run as MVNO’s on the EE network so worth considering.

I was on o2 for years then Voda before moving to BT Mobile. 

Voda was patchy at times, o2 were fine. I do think EE/BT Mobile have been very good.

15 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

Cheers muchly folks. 

It might depend on your usage but they are all much of a muchness if you get a decent signal at home and place of work. On that basis I’d go with the best deal you can get. Someone else’s opinion is meaningless unless you work and live in the exact location and conditions as they do. If you generally live and work in Edinburgh just get the best deal you can. 

I'm on Vodafone and have been for years.

Got the wife a phone on Virgin but it was terrible.  Data was just being eaten up randomly, leading to huge data charges.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Charged-for-mobile-data-but-using-home-wifi/m-p/4011865#M23804

Looks like I wasn't the only on ethis was happening too.  Virgin wouldn't treat, so at end of contract told them to bolt and added the Mrs onto Vodafone.

15 hours ago, andyscott82 said:

Cheers muchly folks. 

I tried that before switching to EE. I contacted Vodafone to see if they could match or better EE's offerl and they couldn't, not even after I spoke to a supervisor. So I told them  to stick it. 

Think they're all much of a muchness, providing you don't live anywhere particularly remote.

I'd suggest you choose a phone, then go onto HotUKDeals and find the best deal for you. Bear in mind that it's all about how much data you need; 4 GB is an absolute minimum these days.

Really depends on your usage, I'm with EE due to Sky Mobile (where i'd get a staff discount) not having a big enough data package as I regularly top 30GB a month due to watching netflix etc on my 3 hours a day commute. Also consider things like handsets that are exclusive to a certain network and look at each networks %G rollout of you feel that it's something that you will either now or in future.

...a bit disco

Been with Tesco for 6 years with zero problems.

They piggyback O2 as well.

I switched to EE from Vodafone in January,  and can't notice too much difference between them. Though when I've got a good signal, the speeds I get with EE shit all over what I was getting with Vodafone.

I got a good deal from buymobiles.net.  They had decent deals for Vodafone too.

I’m with EE. Have been since they were One2One, back in the day. Never had any issues with them at all. Even when it comes to upgrades, I just tell them what I’ve been offered elsewhere and they generally match or beat it. 

Im with Vodafone and only time I ever have an issue is at Tynecastle, for internet connection. 

Everyone around me seems to

be able to get on betting sites etc im

stuck buffering. 

My mate is with EE and he gets on straight away. 

why not look at VOXI. they are run by vodafone so on same network. its mostly data led plans but social media is outwith your limit.

it started off being aimed at youth/students but is now open to all. worth a look