Aberdeen knock back £5m from Celtic for McKenna

Section Q

39 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

£10m :lol: he will not go for anything more than £3m. 

Which would be why I said imagine......

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Inch Hearts

• Beast Boy

• SpruceBringsteen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IveSeenTheLight
43 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

£10m :lol: he will not go for anything more than £3m. 

Id imagine he’d go for £6M - £8M with a sell on clause.

Add me to the 'just don't see it' with McKenna club.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of non-Hearts Scottish football but I've never watched a game he's played in and thought "McKenna played well today".

Was the big offer they turned down for him not skewed a bit because of an impending transfer ban?  Sure it was something along the lines of an 18 month loan which would be converted to permanent after the loan, with the codheids only getting a £1M loan payment up front.

2 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Your contradicting yourself. If he's bang average, how will they be weakened? 

I think he's overrated.

Because he’s still one of there best players !! 

19 minutes ago, Le Chat said:

Add me to the 'just don't see it' with McKenna club.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of non-Hearts Scottish football but I've never watched a game he's played in and thought "McKenna played well today".

Was the big offer they turned down for him not skewed a bit because of an impending transfer ban?  Sure it was something along the lines of an 18 month loan which would be converted to permanent after the loan, with the codheids only getting a £1M loan payment up front.

IIRC it was as it was the final day of the transfer window aston villa could easily loan him and would make the transfer permanent in the january window

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

McKenna is so average. I'd be biting your hands off at £3M, let alone 5. Destined to be the Scottish Phil Jones.

So he’s going to play 200 games for Manchester United then? Maybe better ask for £10-15m if that’s the case.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

So he’s going to play 200 games for Manchester United then? Maybe better ask for £10-15m if that’s the case.

:qqb006:

3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

He is fecking murder, its one of the most puzzling things ive seen in Scottish football over the last few years....everyone seems to rate him but personally I think he is bang average at best....slow...prone to an error...its his size that seems to blinker folk IMHO...

Cant see Tic showing interest in Soapy FWIW...

Think there was a similar thread a while back. I said if I’m paying 5m for a player you’d want them to be competent on the ball at least, centre half, midfielder or forward. 

It’s ok saying clubs shouldn’t be shafted by the OF but a player still has to be judged and priced accordingly relating to their standard or record. 

Mr Elwood P
3 hours ago, busby1985 said:

Can’t see them being anywhere near the league title this year. Lennon has been a total failure at every club he’s managed and was successful with celtic during Scottish footballs strangest time. Hearts, Rangers financial melt down etc. I reckon he’ll be under mega pressure by October, be replaced in the January window. 

You don’t think the team that has won a treble of trebles and 8 league titles on the bounce will be anywhere near the league title? Who will be out of interest? Folk seem oblivious to the fact that Lennon lost less games than Rodgers did  last season.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, Dunks said:

I really don't think he's even worth Arsenal's opening bid.

At the end of the day, he's worth whatever someone will pay for him. VFM is another thing completely. 

Manchester United paid £37.5m for Luke Shaw 5 years ago. Within the financial context of the English game, Tierney is worth £25m. Celtic are benefitting massively from the success of Van Dijk, Wanyama and Dembele, clubs are now willing to pay very large fees for their top performing players. 

Guest ToqueJambo
55 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Id imagine he’d go for £6M - £8M with a sell on clause.

To who? Celtic maybe as their transfer dealings are bizarre these days.

Villa? They got McGinn for less than half that. Why would they pay more for a much worse player, albeit in a different position? McKenna is a less skillful and worse in the air Berra. He’s bulkier than Berra was when he broke through but Berra turned into a massive unit almost overnight at Wolves so it’s less important for English clubs. Souttar would bulk up down there for example.

That’s an insane valuation. Christ, van Djik went south for just 4 mill more than the top end of that.

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Celtic not believe Hendry is the future...?

Stunning revelations in Scotland, people. 

:rolleyes:

A couple of seasons where the OF didn't buy young talent off teams that they perceived as a threat to them, to weaken their opposition. Here we go again. Hastie, Turnbull, McKenna...welcome back to the early 2000's everyone.

When were the couple of seasons?

3 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

He is fecking murder

3 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

McKenna is so average. 

3 hours ago, chester copperpot said:

I like McKenna. Hes a great defender 

Love it how folk see a player differently.

Inch Hearts
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

To who? Celtic maybe as their transfer dealings are bizarre these days.

Villa? They got McGinn for less than half that. Why would they pay more for a much worse player, albeit in a different position? McKenna is a less skillful and worse in the air Berra. He’s bulkier than Berra was when he broke through but Berra turned into a massive unit almost overnight at Wolves so it’s less important for English clubs. Souttar would bulk up down there for example.

That’s an insane valuation. Christ, van Djik went south for just 4 mill more than the top end of that.

Its not insane at all.  

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Fair enough point.

No-one of note then. Certainly not enough to generate more than a shoulder shrug.

Celtic have hoovered up Henry, GMS, Bain, Allan and attended to

get McGinn & McKenna. Always at it.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

Its not insane at all.  

Why? When do players go from Scottish clubs to English ones for more? 6-8m? 

Van Djik - 12m

Wanyama - 12m

Gordon - 9m

McGinn - 3m

Ki - 6m

Robertson - 3 then 8m

McKenna is several levels below all of those players when they were transferred. Note the lower fees for scottish players.

I’m all for scottish players being sold for big fees and i suppose it might provide a benchmark for souttar’s valuation but lets get real. 

I don’t even think McKenna is top end English championship level. I thought Liam Lindsay was better up here and i think stoke want him for 2m now.

4 years left on his contract.  Injury free -  30 games a season -  90 minutes a games.

As opposed to Tierney.

21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Manchester United paid £37.5m for Luke Shaw 5 years ago. Within the financial context of the English game, Tierney is worth £25m. Celtic are benefitting massively from the success of Van Dijk, Wanyama and Dembele, clubs are now willing to pay very large fees for their top performing players. 

No, he's worth whatever they are happy paying for him. I don't think he's a great defender - something he doesn't have to do at Celtic too often.

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, Dunks said:

No, he's worth whatever they are happy paying for him. I don't think he's a great defender - something he doesn't have to do at Celtic too often.

He’s going for £25m, so yes!

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Van Djik - 12m

Wanyama - 12m

Gordon - 9m

McGinn - 3m

Ki - 6m

Robertson - 3 then 8m

McKenna is several levels below all of those players when they were transferred. Note the lower fees for scottish players.

I’m all for scottish players being sold for big fees and i suppose it might provide a benchmark for souttar’s valuation but lets get real. 

I don’t even think McKenna is top end English championship level. I thought Liam Lindsay was better up here and i think stoke want him for 2m now.

The money in the English game is insane now. If we had Craig Gordon coming through now, tied to a long contract, the fee would be transformational. 

3 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

Your contradicting yourself. If he's bang average, how will they be weakened? 

I think he's overrated.

Exactly what i was thinking! Yep he overrated 

SpruceBringsteen

Imagine a Celtic defence with McKenna and Hendry in the middle of it. I'd be absolutely licking my chops.

1 minute ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Imagine a Celtic defence with McKenna and Hendry in the middle of it. I'd be absolutely licking my chops.

Uche would be licking his chops!

30 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You don’t think the team that has won a treble of trebles and 8 league titles on the bounce will be anywhere near the league title? Who will be out of interest? Folk seem oblivious to the fact that Lennon lost less games than Rodgers did  last season.

Lennon said it was Rodgers team, Rodgers players, Rodgers training etc etc he was using and didnt change a thing. Lennon is all ready pursuing players that I think aren’t any better than what they have, Turnbull for example. He’s not better than McGregor or Brown or Ntcham, even at browns age. Then you have to factor in the fact that Lennon is a glorified ass hat, mentalist fan. All ready heard snippets of the players moaning at being shouted at by Lennon. There was only one man that could stop 10 and they’ve given him the job. I think Rangers ended the season very well. Since Morelos got banned they stumbled/found a shape and system that suited them. I think Rangers will be the team to beat next season, just my opinion of course. Celtic have been light years ahead of everyone with Rodgers at the wheel. Rodgers is the David Brent of football but he is a very good coach, seeing that all ready with Leicester. Celtic now have Paul the Tim/Green Brigade/tin foil hat Lennon at the wheel and I can’t see it going well.  Lennon has failed every where he’s went. 

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The money in the English game is insane now. If we had Craig Gordon coming through now, tied to a long contract, the fee would be transformational. 

That Gordon fee should have been transformational anyhow!

The money within the English game is mental but they see the scottish league as bargain basement shopping. I’d be very impressed if Aberdeen get their valuation, especially as Souttar should be worth more if he pushes on.

Mr Elwood P
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

That Gordon fee should have been transformational anyhow!

The money within the English game is mental but they see the scottish league as bargain basement shopping. I’d be very impressed if Aberdeen get their valuation, especially as Souttar should be worth more if he pushes on.

That’s the point though. £25m for Tierney or £10m for McKenna could be regarded as a bargain, if an equivalent English player will cost 2 or 3 times as much money.

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Halkett  has potential to be better than McKenna/Soutar based on what, heard it all now, not sure he will even start unless we go to a back 5 which was a disaster last season.

Halkett is older than both of them

and no English teams came in for him when he was available for free. Nothing to suggest he will have anywhere near the career of either Souttar or McKenna.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
3 hours ago, Barack said:

Celtic not believe Hendry is the future...?

Stunning revelations in Scotland, people. 

:rolleyes:

A couple of seasons where the OF didn't buy young talent off teams that they perceived as a threat to them, to weaken their opposition. Here we go again. Hastie, Turnbull, McKenna...welcome back to the early 2000's everyone.

And most of the second half of the 20th century.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

That’s the point though. £25m for Tierney or £10m for McKenna could be regarded as a bargain, if an equivalent English player will cost 2 or 3 times as much money.

Yes I agree but Scotland has always been a different market and in some ways I understand it. Our league is on a par with the English championship at best.

Inch Hearts
31 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Van Djik - 12m

Wanyama - 12m

Gordon - 9m

McGinn - 3m

Ki - 6m

Robertson - 3 then 8m

Theyve rejected £6m already so the prospect of him going for more this moment in time isn’t insane.  I agree about Lindsay though, best Scottish young defender by a mile. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Theyve rejected £6m already so the prospect of him going for more this moment in time isn’t insane.  I agree about Lindsay though, best Scottish young defender by a mile. 

I wonder of they have rejected 6m or a deal worth 6m, ie add ons, sell ons etc?

If they have rejected it then we are much further behind aberdeen financially than I thought.

Mr Elwood P
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes I agree but Scotland has always been a different market and in some ways I understand it. Our league is on a par with the English championship at best.

It still is a very different market, just the English game has exploded to the point where £10-25m is pocket change for a lot of clubs down there. Good to see some of that money coming north so we can improve and grow our game.

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I wonder of they have rejected 6m or a deal worth 6m, ie add ons, sell ons etc?

If they have rejected it then we are much further behind aberdeen financially than I thought.

I’ve no idea and it mystifies me how they can afford to reject either. 

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Think it was closer to £7m they rejected from Villa! 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

It still is a very different market, just the English game has exploded to the point where £10-25m is pocket change for a lot of clubs down there. Good to see some of that money coming north so we can improve and grow our game.

Fair point it’s usually Johnny foreigners galore for mental money because of glamours names. The more Scottish players do well down there the more clubs will look here and pay more money. Better than them going to Glasgow regardless of pundits saying it’s sad for them leaving Scottish football. 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Think it was closer to £7m they rejected from Villa! 

Would love to hear the thoughts of the guy in charge of sustainability. 

Mr Elwood P

Would love to hear the thoughts of the guy in charge of sustainability. 

What guy, where?

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What guy, where?

Aberdeen convincing the directors it’s sustainable to reject £7m when they have a stadium to build. 

Inch Hearts
1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Halkett impressed me more last season

Me too.  McKenna the season before though. 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Very true. And the more Robertsons, van Dijks and Wanyamas who go down there and do well the more money English teams might pay for players from here. I think it's partly optics. Most English fans don't rate the Scottish game at all so they don't like to see big money going on players from here.

But I still thinks it comes down to whether or not you think McKenna is worth that much even in this inflated market. I don't even want him in the Scotland team.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Mr Elwood P

Aberdeen convincing the directors it’s sustainable to reject £7m when they have a stadium to build. 

They’ve said he’s a £10m player, they’re sticking to it. If they get £10m then they’ve done brilliantly.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

They’ve said he’s a £10m player, they’re sticking to it. If they get £10m then they’ve done brilliantly.

At least it means we know we have an 8-10m central defender on our hands too!

Mr Elwood P
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

At least it means we know we have an 8-10m central defender on our hands too!

Successive Scotland managers have chosen Mckenna ahead of Souttar. I’m not entirely convinced that we have the better player.

Italian Lambretta
8 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Successive Scotland managers have chosen Mckenna ahead of Souttar. I’m not entirely convinced that we have the better player.

Hes better than charlie mulgrew