Competing with the Sheep

bigis semiauskas

17 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Although I get you point, we are no where near as successful as thse two teams relative wise so the comparison is a wee bit daft.

How many trophies do Man City have, exactly.

Edited by ri Alban

indianajones
9 hours ago, bigis semiauskas said:

Should that be our first aim before we think of the OF?

Dons fan at work keeps banging on about their Cup Wimnners Cup win and that we will never be in same league as them till we equal it. 

It’s annoying as feck but has he got a point? D

He doesn't have a point. 

9 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

What Aberdeen achieved in the 80s was incredible, but those days are long gone. They will never repeat that, and we have no hope of emulating it, unless one of our anonymous donor is actually a billionaire. We just need some consistency, to be largely injury free and to actually score goals. Then we can compete with Aberdeen. Let's not forget that they pay £10-15k/year (on average) more than us so there's a reason they've generally been better. 

Hard cash £££££. When we can afford to consistently pay higher wages we will consistently attract better players and consistently be ahead of them. We should be a bit optimistic on this front. Once the new stands is payed off and fully functional the additional revenue streams of that and continued FOH money should provide a boost. The academy is also key. We need a stream of 'sellable' talent coming through. And if we start getting it right we have a much larger fan base = crowds and more ££££. 

10 hours ago, bigis semiauskas said:

Dons fan at work keeps banging on about their Cup Wimnners Cup win and that we will never be in same league as them till we equal it. 

Depends on what your work colleagues argument is. Scotland has two massive clubs and three medium sized clubs. The rest are all relatively small in the grand scheme of things. If he is claiming Aberdeen are a bigger club because of the ECWC win then I totally disagree with him. Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts are all very similar sized clubs who basically all exist in the shadow of the dominant old firm that's the way it's virtually always been barring a few small periods. 

If however he is talking about success on the park then if you are being unbiased you would have to agree he obviously has a point. Aberdeen are easily the most successful non old firm team to date in terms of major trophy wins. Since they were formed in 1903 they have won more major trophies than both Hearts and Hibs combined in the same period (19-11 vs Hearts and 19-7 vs Hibs 19-18 combined). They have won more major trophies than Hearts despite being in existence for 29 years less. Aberdeen are a more famous club than Hearts due to them winning two European trophies they have reached greater heights as a club as Euro trophies are massively prestigious domestic silverware just doesn't compare. Doesn't make them "bigger" as I said Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs are similar in size and all three massively trail the old firm in all departments which is the stat that really matters here.

It's just stating a pretty basic fact that when your club wins European trophies clubs and fans all across the world sit up and take notice and tend to forever remember those occasions and teams. As an example my ex boss was a scouser who has never been to Aberdeen and yet some 20 years after the event he could virtually name the AFC team that beat Real Madrid man for man. If your club wins the Scottish Cup or Scottish League Cup no-one outside of Scotland remotely cares. Surely you don't disagree with that? 

10 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Depends on what your work colleagues argument is. Scotland has two massive clubs and three medium sized clubs. The rest are all relatively small in the grand scheme of things. If he is claiming Aberdeen are a bigger club because of the ECWC win then I totally disagree with him. Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts are all very similar sized clubs who basically all exist in the shadow of the dominant old firm that's the way it's virtually always been barring a few small periods. 

If however he is talking about success on the park then if you are being unbiased you would have to agree he obviously has a point. Aberdeen are easily the most successful non old firm team to date in terms of major trophy wins. Since they were formed in 1903 they have won more major trophies than both Hearts and Hibs combined in the same period (19-11 vs Hearts and 19-7 vs Hibs 19-18 combined). They have won more major trophies than Hearts despite being in existence for 29 years less. Aberdeen are a more famous club than Hearts due to them winning two European trophies they have reached greater heights as a club as Euro trophies are massively prestigious domestic silverware just doesn't compare. Doesn't make them "bigger" as I said Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs are similar in size and all three massively trail the old firm in all departments which is the stat that really matters here.

It's just stating a pretty basic fact that when your club wins European trophies clubs and fans all across the world sit up and take notice and tend to forever remember those occasions and teams. As an example my ex boss was a scouser who has never been to Aberdeen and yet some 20 years after the event he could virtually name the AFC team that beat Real Madrid man for man. If your club wins the Scottish Cup or Scottish League Cup no-one outside of Scotland remotely cares. Surely you don't disagree with that? 

More sheep on a Hearts forum, go figure ?

So by European Cup logic Nottingham Forest are bigger clubs than Man City, Chelsea, Spurs, Everton?

35 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Great to see we are just collectively expected to wipe Aberdeen’s utterly shan existence from the the early/mid nineties to about seven years ago, from our memories now. :lol:

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

24 minutes ago, RedCity said:

Same league titles , we've more big cups, you've more diddy cups. You've 1 domestic trophy more, tho your diddy cups. No one gies a feck you weren't formed til 1903.

The super cup is a friendly (The Charity shield for Uefa). And the CWC was that important, they binned it.  

As for Real Madrid, they were utter dugshit at the time. 

Edited by ri Alban

Lord Beni of Gorgie
26 minutes ago, RedCity said:

A competition that was disbanded because quite frankly nobody gave a shit about it,  so much so that final was played in a stadium not even a third full. 

Over playing the interest me thinks. I doubt anyone really talks about Steaua Bucharest. Dundee United?

Nah, dream on dreamer

Inch Hearts
4 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Tierney! :rofl:

Yes, that player who has had £15m bids rejected.  Some geezer on a hearts forum know better than arsenal scouts.

2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Yes, that player who has had £15m bids rejected.  Some geezer on a hearts forum know better than arsenal scouts.

Oh, I must have missed this failed £15m Arsenal bid. Can you link me to the story please. 

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

Cheers. I seriously doubt they bid £15m. Unless it was based on rising after x appearances. Either that or Celtic are the greatest robbers of our generation. :lol:

The are Arsenal good enough for Tierney bit at the end makes me doubt the figure quoted. Hard to take the rest of it seriously after that. 

Inch Hearts
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Cheers. I seriously doubt they bid £15m. Unless it was based on rising after x appearances. Either that or Celtic are the greatest robbers of our generation. :lol:

The are Arsenal good enough for Tierney bit at the end makes me doubt the figure quoted. Hard to take the rest of it seriously after that. 

Its reported everywhere they have turned down £15m.  Not just the BBC.  Tierney is a great wee player who I think will end up strolling Centre Back eventually.  Hickey has played three matches at top team level, released by Celtic.  Give the boy a chance without so much expectation placed on him, it’s not fair. 

11 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

Aberdeen are basically Motherwell but with a few good years in the 80s.

**** Aberdeen.

When I moved to Bath, my first job was in Bristol. The lassie who I worked with confesed to me her dad was from Aberdeen. So I told her he was a sheepshagger :laugh: Her response was "He's not from Wales he's from Aberdeen" :rofl: I will take that to my grave.

9 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Its reported everywhere they have turned down £15m.  Not just the BBC.  Tierney is a great wee player who I think will end up strolling Centre Back eventually.  Hickey has played three matches at top team level, released by Celtic.  Give the boy a chance without so much expectation placed on him, it’s not fair. 

Tierney is a good player, with a bit of potential to be better. He is being built up to levels he has not proven he is capable at though. That’s not to say he won’t, but he is nowhere near as good as Robertson. If Arsenal do end up signing him, we should be straight on the blower to Spurs offering them Ikpeazu for twenty million. Big Uche can keep on dominating him and Harry Kane can pop in the scraps. ?

The world has gone totally daft! 

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

How many trophies do Man City have, exactly.

Dunno. 

But they are currently a successful team, one of the best. 

Not sure why you seem intent on arguing, get to any point you may have in relation to Hearts/ Aberdeen, save a bit time. 

To be honest, I take a slightly different view. 

For far too long, top talent goes to England for peanuts. Even McKenna had a bid from Villa I think it was for 8m. Tierney isnt better than Robertson, but if he played for Sheffield United, or Bristol City, nobody would question if they paid £15-20 m for players weve never even heard of. 

If it means our transfer market value goes up, which it should is surely a good thing. There are going to be several scots playing in the premier league, so people maybe now see there are good players coming from Scotland. 

Tierney has the potential to be better. I think playing with better players he could end up being top notch as well. Nobody really knows how good McGregor, Forrest but I think they would hold their own

Inch Hearts
15 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Tierney is a good player, with a bit of potential to be better. He is being built up to levels he has not proven he is capable at though. That’s not to say he won’t, but he is nowhere near as good as Robertson. If Arsenal do end up signing him, we should be straight on the blower to Spurs offering them Ikpeazu for twenty million. Big Uche can keep on dominating him and Harry Kane can pop in the scraps. ?

The world has gone totally daft! 

The Scotland coaches wouldn’t agree when they said they couldn’t split the players.  He has been built up with huge expectation now I would agree though but check people saying Hickey is as good while saying people are deluded about Tierney.  Uche is as good as that Spanish huddy spurs use to be fair ;) 

Edited by Inch Hearts

2 hours ago, Locky said:

Aberdeen have a few seasons on the rest of the 'big' teams bar Celtic. Even then, they had the best chance they'll ever get to win silverware and battle for titles and bottled it.

For a side who are technically 2 seasons ahead of us at least, we certainly hold our own against them in games, and we aren't miles behind in the tables either. Dare i say the gap is closing too.

I agree, one league cup to show for a period in when Scottish football was at it's poorest in terms of standard of teams is pretty awful return.  They even managed to squander 2nd place one of those years to Motherwell!! 

What has impressed me under McInnes is their ability to grind out wins away to the average teams in the league, that has been was has plighted us for as long as I can remember!

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

The Scotland coaches wouldn’t agree when they said they couldn’t split the players.  He has been built up with huge expectation now I would agree though but check people saying Hickey is as good while saying people are deluded about Tierney.  Uche is as good as that Spanish huddy spurs use to be fair ;) 

Honestly though, he’s not done anything to prove he’s that sort of quality yet. Robertson has. Tierney is a good player. It would be pointless and churlish to pretend he isn’t. He is not that good though, based on seeing him in scotland games and against us in the domestic competitions. Uche dominates him and I expect the same thing happens with other forwards and wingers in our league. 

50 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

I agree, one league cup to show for a period in when Scottish football was at it's poorest in terms of standard of teams is pretty awful return.  They even managed to squander 2nd place one of those years to Motherwell!! 

What has impressed me under McInnes is their ability to grind out wins away to the average teams in the league, that has been was has plighted us for as long as I can remember!

Thats been the one side of their game, as you say, you can't fault them. McInnes has made them a difficult side to beat, and although some of the red faction might disagree, they're a team of hatchet men, better than the rest of the teams.

Because of that though, they often come stuck against the better footballing sides of the division. I've never seen Aberdeen play good football.

This is what makes me laugh when people brand us hatchet men. It's our inability to get tough that costs us stupid points at the likes of Accies and Livi. 

It’s a shame the world only reached Aberdeen in 1903.

It’d have been better pumping them all the way from 1874...

19 hours ago, bigis semiauskas said:

we will not compete with the OF not a chance of that but yes we can compete with the sheep

Randy Marsh

We only actually finished 5 points behind Aberdeen 2015-16 season and had a much better goal difference.  It shows you have far we have regressed in 3 seasons if we are only looking to 'compete' with Aberdeen.  Worryingly to bar seems to be getting lower and lower every season. :lol:

Edited by Randy Marsh

13 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

It’s a shame the world only reached Aberdeen in 1903.

It’d have been better pumping them all the way from 1874...

I remember that.  Their chairman said that if Hibs could win the Scottish Cup, anyone could win it.  That was the catalyst.

Guest ToqueJambo
18 hours ago, RedCity said:

We were world champions before Aberdeen FC even existed.

Seeing as we’re cherry picking historical successes.

Sure you had a brief but amazing period after lucking into getting an almost supernatural manager who very nearly joined us. Them’s the breaks! 

Your latest “successful” period only happened because most of your rivals were out the picture.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Mr Elwood P
21 hours ago, RedCity said:

Give it another 20 years and everyone who knows Aberdeen because of what they achieved in the 1980’s will be dead and your European legacy will be akin to the Scottish Cup legacy of Clyde or Queens Park. In the last thirty years you’ve won a couple of League Cups, we’ve won a few Scottish Cups, Hibs fluked one Scottish Cup. You had a massive opportunity to win trophies and even challenge for the Scottish Premiership, as Hearts, Rangers & Hibs were it total disarray. You blew it. You managed one League Cup. You’ve now slipped from 2nd to 4th. You’ll be a bottom 6 club getting skelped 9-0 at Parkhead & 5-0 at Tynecastle again before you know what’s hit you.

Pipe down!

IveSeenTheLight
3 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Give it another 20 years and everyone who knows Aberdeen because of what they achieved in the 1980’s will be dead

I certainly hope to be around in 20 years time.

History is just that, history, great when it happened, but largely irrelevant when going forward.

Roll on 04th August for the league opener, I hope its a cracker

Gorgie_Rules

Some need to wake up to the reality that despite now being a few years since we exited administration, we are still a good bit behind Aberdeen (16 points to be exact) despite a pretty similar budget.

A good way to judge in comparison in my opinion is how many of our current squad would get a game for a top 3/4 side? Except Berra, Souttar, Halkett, Haring, Naismith and at a push Smith and Uche, the rest of our team is bang average.

It’s not necessarily that Aberdeen have better key players, their average squad fillers are and have been of a better standard than ours for some time. We are on our way to having a decent squad but still some way to go in terms of who needs cleared out and who we need in.

38 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Some need to wake up to the reality that despite now being a few years since we exited administration, we are still a good bit behind Aberdeen (16 points to be exact) despite a pretty similar budget.

A good way to judge in comparison in my opinion is how many of our current squad would get a game for a top 3/4 side? Except Berra, Souttar, Halkett, Haring, Naismith and at a push Smith and Uche, the rest of our team is bang average.

It’s not necessarily that Aberdeen have better key players, their average squad fillers are and have been of a better standard than ours for some time. We are on our way to having a decent squad but still some way to go in terms of who needs cleared out and who we need in.

So in your opinion five players for definite and two would get game time? reckon i would add Mulraney to the list as well. That's actually quite a lot. I get the impression though that our squad fillers are predominantly going to the young lads now.

1 hour ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

I certainly hope to be around in 20 years time.

Good for you. I reckon you'll enjoy the Early 2000s. :thumbsup:

The Old Tolbooth

Christ on a bike, a thread all about Aberdeen ffs, you lot will have them thinking that they're important next! 

IveSeenTheLight
56 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Good for you. I reckon you'll enjoy the Early 2000s. :thumbsup:

It was a great time.

I look back with it fondly. ;)

Not so much on the football pitch though ?

Edited by IveSeenTheLight