Competing with the Sheep

bigis semiauskas

bigis semiauskas

Should that be our first aim before we think of the OF?

Dons fan at work keeps banging on about their Cup Wimnners Cup win and that we will never be in same league as them till we equal it. 

It’s annoying as feck but has he got a point? D

Bazzas right boot

Cannae see us winning the cup winners cup tbh. 

Based in that, we should just chuck it. 

davemclaren
20 minutes ago, bigis semiauskas said:

Dons fan at work keeps banging on about their Cup Wimnners Cup win and that we will never be in same league as them till we equal it. 

Our overall league record is better than them but them and Hibs are similar sized to us and the three clubs form the second tier of Scottish football behind the uglies    

17 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Hilarious as ever.

August Landmesser

Aberdeen are basically Motherwell but with a few good years in the 80s.

**** Aberdeen.

bigis semiauskas
23 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

How do we equal it thou. 

Inch Hearts

When is hearts ever catching the old firm? It’s as ludicrous as saying Hickey will be better than Tierney based on a couple of games for **** sake.

Jambos_1874

What Aberdeen achieved in the 80s was incredible, but those days are long gone. They will never repeat that, and we have no hope of emulating it, unless one of our anonymous donor is actually a billionaire. We just need some consistency, to be largely injury free and to actually score goals. Then we can compete with Aberdeen. Let's not forget that they pay £10-15k/year (on average) more than us so there's a reason they've generally been better. 

Edited by Jambos_1874

Bazzas right boot

No ni

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

When is hearts ever catching the old firm? It’s as ludicrous as saying Hickey will be better than Tierney based on a couple of games for **** sake.

Catching the OF?

Celtic have won 9 trophies in a row. 

Rangers need to get close to celtic first before that chat can start, again. 

bigis semiauskas
14 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Nah it’s  no!!! 

WheatfieldWarrior
40 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Who were the world champions in 1902?

Three guesses ( wasn't Hibs or Aberdeen)

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Absolutely right.  Everyone knows he's already better.

Some people.

Hearts and sheep both need to catch up with killie though in reality I think killie have peaked and wont maintain recent heights. 

16 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Aberdeen are shite 

I think the sheep are pretty shite too but McInnes has perfected a strategy of preventing any football breaking out through cluggery and other means. But as things stand finishing above them you would generally expect to get a Euro spot.

But I have also had a feeling for sometime that the sheep are due another pre Mcinnes slump. The season he took over they finished 8th in a league that didn't even have one half of the OF in it.

They tend to have significant outward movement of key players in Summer windows and just a player or two leaves then perhaps significant injuries may occur and we know how detrimental an impact that can be.

Finlay James

A cup winners cup win 36 years ago is not a marker for a clubs standing.  They were a great team back then but the current one doesn't even get close to resembling it.

I respect Aberdeen and the consistency that Mcinnes has brought but they under achieve for a club that has no real competition for fans within a fairly large geographical radius.  That said, IMO, they are the yardstick for us just now and we need to be aiming to overtake them this coming season.

Nookie Bear
6 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

No ni

Catching the OF?

Celtic have won 9 trophies in a row. 

Rangers need to get close to celtic first before that chat can start, again. 

We caught, and passed, them at the beginning of last season before the injuries kicked in. 

No reason to suggest we cannot repeat that and more. 

highlandjambo3

Aberdeen have had a wee rub of the green in recent years, us going down with the vermin, huns out of sight, us having a bit of bad form (don’t go there, there is a whole lot of debate elsewhere on this) and Aberdeen are still sniffing this glue.  D Mc has had a chance to build some consistency with a decent spell at management but, make no mistake, when McInnarse leaves (gut feeling soon) the sheep will be fleeced....... as any good NE farmer would say and, they will be back where they belong.

How does a club go about concentrating on competing with one club who currently finish above them, but not the others? Does the OP mean we should chuck games against the OF and only try against Aberdeen? Confused by that... ?

What a totally weird OP.

6 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Tierney! :rofl:

10 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

How does a club go about concentrating on competing with one club who currently finish above them, but not the others? Does the OP mean we should chuck games against the OF and only try against Aberdeen? Confused by that... ?

What a totally weird OP.

It’s not hard to work out.  Aberdeen have largely been the strongest side outside the OF in the league for the last few years despite slipping last season.  

I’ve never really viewed Hibs as long term challengers for top 3 because they’re a club with a mid table average. Killie come and go just like other teams. 

I think the the door was opened, unfortunately, for Aberdeen when we went into admin and the Huns plunged.  Before that we’d pretty much established around 20 years of dominating Aberdeen after their strength started to flag in the mid 90s. 

Now we’re starting all over again. 

Edited by Debut 4

gashauskis9
6 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

That’s not ludicrous at all.  Tierney is an overrated shite-bag who couldn’t lace Robertson’s boots.  As soon as he gets his move down south, he’ll disappear into the Huttonsphere.

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

First thing we do, is get above the team that finished above us last season.

Aha. True

kingantti1874

More fans, better H2H, better league record, better stadium, better training facilities, better city. 

We are bigger and better than them in every regard but right now, they are better than us where it counts and we need to fix that. 

Yes their european win 40 years ago was impressive,I wish it was us but the way football has changed its now impossible to achieve it- it’s an outlier! Are Nottingham forest bigger than man city? 

Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie have finished above us two seasons on the bounce so why are we just talking about Aberdeen?

5 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Aberdeen, Hibs and Killie have finished above us two seasons on the bounce so why are we just talking about Aberdeen?

Because it's turning into an Aberdeen forum

IveSeenTheLight
7 hours ago, bigis semiauskas said:

Sounds like he’s baiting you and you’re biting, so he’ll keep at it.

The 80’s was a phenomenon in terms of many things being aligned.

I Don’t see that ever being repeated the way the game has gone financially.

The aim of any club should be to progress each year.

get more points than the previous season.

score more than the previous season

concede less than the previous season

advance further in the cups than the previous season

all basic points of measurement to say whether you have progressed or regressed.

I think most teams like Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, etc have an initial target of a European slot and then see what can be achieved from there.

McInness has said before, their initial target is to get to 70 points as soon as possible and then reassess.

The league shows if you get to 70 points, then you will have achieved getting into Europe.

11 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Aye they finished 3rd and us 6th....so what that make us?

4th were they not? We're all shit lets be honest.

15 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Aye they finished 3rd and us 6th....so what that make us?

Really shite, but we all know that. 

Just now, Debut 4 said:

It’s not hard to work out.  Aberdeen have largely been the strongest side outside the OF in the league for the last few years despite slipping last season.  

I’ve never really viewed Hibs as long term challengers for top 3 because they’re a club with a bottom 6 average.  Killie come and go just like other teams. 

I think the the door was opened, unfortunately, for Aberdeen when we went into admin and the Huns plunged.  Before that we’d pretty much established around 20 years of dominating Aberdeen after their strength started to flag in the mid 90s. 

Now we’re starting all over again. 

You say it’s not hard to work out. Then the rest of your post doesn’t address my point.

Maybe you didn’t understand my point? If so, I’ll try again:

The OP claims that:

“Competing with the Sheep should be our first aim, before we think of the Old Firm”.

So, how do we do that, how does it differ to what we are trying to do currently, and how do we compete with the Sheep but not with the Old Firm?

He didn’t say we should lower our expectations as supporters to competing with the Sheep rather than Celtic and Rangers. That would be something we could debate. No, he says we should as a club forget about trying to compete at the very top, and just concentrate on competing with the team that finished fourth.

Ill ask again, how do we do that? It doesn’t make any sense. Here’s the different scenarios that he could have meant:

1) We put more effort in to games against Aberdeen, than we do other teams. - this would be a majorly flawed approach to a league season and probably result in relegation.

2) We throw games against the Old Firm and rest players for when we play Aberdeen. - Treating the team that finished fourth in a twelve team league, as the best team, will result in a bigger gap between ourselves and the ultimate league Champions. 

4) He means that as a club, Hearts need to lower their sights and make fourth place our ambition each season. Forget about that very rare challenge or run that historically we have been able to put together once every ten to fifteen years or so, where we get within touching distance, and instead just aim to be above Aberdeen. - flawed plan imo. It’s better to aim for first place. If we do that and only just fall short, then we will have more than likely out-competed Aberdeen anyway.

4) We do something different with our player recruitment policy? - Although seeing as how we seem to be linked with all the same players as Aberdeen these days, I don’t think this is his point.

5) He means that we as supporters need to lower our expectations and ambitions? We should not criticise the team so much for their inability to compete with Celtic nor Rangers, and instead set an expectation benchmark of where we finish in comparison to Aberdeen every year. - maybe. Seems like an odd thing to do, to me, but perhaps it would mean less abuse of the players and coaching staff. Personally, I’d rather the ambition was to win the league every season, and when that becomes arithmetically impossible, a cup.

6) Or it could be that the “Cup Winner’s Cup” part of his post was more relevant than its random inclusion suggested. A cup won 36 years ago, that has no bearing on the two teams’ performances and ambitions in today’s SPFL Premiership, SPFL Cup, and Scottish Cup - We clearly aren’t going to win the UEFA Champions League nor the UEFA Europa League, barring an actual miracle. If we did win the Europa League, then it would be a far greater achievement than Aberdeen’s UEFA Cup Winners Cup victory,  Money has changed the game considerably at European level, and domestically, in as much as we don’t have the cash to assemble and keep together a team that can compete at that sort of level. You only need to look at the resources of the teams who competed in the grand finals of our two European club competitions for the last few years to understand that. If by some miracle we assembled a team of players who were good enough to compete at that level, it would take serious amounts of money to keep them long enough to actually win one of those trophies. Besides, Aberdeen no longer compete at that level either, so it’s a pretty moot point.

Or perhaps it’s actually possibility #7 a) or b)?

7a) The OP has Sheep molesting work colleagues who are capitalising on the opportunity to be wide, on the back of Aberdeen using their improved financial investment to ensure they were able to get themselves up to best of the rest tag in the absence of three of Scotland’s biggest clubs, winning a League Cup along the way? This has then 

7b) The OP is frustrated that we are not finishing best of the rest and above Aberdeen, as Hearts fans of a certain age are all used to. That his OP wasn’t actually a serious suggestion of strategy, and instead he’s just venting his frustration at where we are at currently, in terms of our performances in the competitions that we enter each season. 

I’ve tried to make sense of his thread title and OP as best I can, hopefully covering every single possibility that may explain his proposition. You appear to have understood his point, as your “it’s not hard to work out” opening line would suggest. Perhaps you could tell me if the OP’s suggestion was option 1 to 6, or if it was just either of 7a or 7b?

Thanks in advance etc.

17 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Because I’d say they’re more likely to maintain a lofty position than the other 2.

Before our admin I’d imagine most other clubs looked at us and said we were the team to aim for as we more or less finished top 3 more regularly than others. 

49 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

You say it’s not hard to work out. Then the rest of your post doesn’t address my point.

The OP claims that:

“Competing with the Sheep should be our first aim, before we think of the Old Firm”.

So, how do we do that, how does it differ to what we are trying to do currently, and how do we compete with the Sheep but not with the Old Firm?

He didn’t say we should lower our expectations as supporters to competing with the Sheep rather than Celtic and Rangers. That would be something we could debate. No, he says we should as a club forget about trying to compete at the very top, and just concentrate on competing with the team that finished fourth.

Ill ask again, how do we do that? It doesn’t make any sense. Here’s the different scenarios that he could have meant:

1) We put more effort in to games against Aberdeen, than we do other teams. - this would be a majorly flawed approach to a league season and probably result in relegation.

2) We throw games against the Old Firm and rest players for when we play Aberdeen. - Treating the team that finished fourth in a twelve team league, as the best team, will result in a bigger gap between ourselves and the ultimate league Champions. 

4) He means that as a club, Hearts need to lower their sights and make fourth place our ambition each season. Forget about that very rare challenge or run that historically we have been able to put together once every ten to fifteen years or so, where we get within touching distance, and instead just aim to be above Aberdeen. - flawed plan imo. It’s better to aim for first place. If we do that and only just fall short, then we will have more than likely out-competed Aberdeen anyway.

4) We do something different with our player recruitment policy? - Although seeing as how we seem to be linked with all the same players as Aberdeen these days, I don’t think this is his point.

5) He means that we as supporters need to lower our expectations and ambitions? We should not criticise the team so much for their inability to compete with Celtic nor Rangers, and instead set an expectation benchmark of where we finish in comparison to Aberdeen every year. - maybe. Seems like an odd thing to do, to me, but perhaps it would mean less abuse of the players and coaching staff. Personally, I’d rather the ambition was to win the league every season, and when that becomes arithmetically impossible, a cup.

6) Or it could be that the “Cup Winner’s Cup” part of his post was more relevant than its random inclusion suggested. A cup won 36 years ago, that has no bearing on the two teams’ performances and ambitions in today’s SPFL Premiership, SPFL Cup, and Scottish Cup - We clearly aren’t going to win the UEFA Champions League nor the UEFA Europa League, barring an actual miracle. If we did win the Europa League, then it would be a far greater achievement than Aberdeen’s UEFA Cup Winners Cup victory,  Money has changed the game considerably at European level, and domestically, in as much as we don’t have the cash to assemble and keep together a team that can compete at that sort of level. You only need to look at the resources of the teams who competed in the grand finals of our two European club competitions for the last few years to understand that. If by some miracle we assembled a team of players who were good enough to compete at that level, it would take serious amounts of money to keep them long enough to actually win one of those trophies. Besides, Aberdeen no longer compete at that level either, so it’s a pretty moot point.

7a) The OP has Sheep molesting work colleagues who are capitalising on the opportunity to be wide, on the back of Aberdeen using their improved financial investment to ensure they were able to get themselves up to best of the rest tag in the absence of three of Scotland’s biggest clubs, winning a League Cup along the way? This has then 

7b) The OP is frustrated that we are not finishing best of the rest and above Aberdeen, as Hearts fans of a certain age are all used to. That his OP wasn’t actually a serious suggestion of strategy, and instead he’s just venting his frustration at where we are at currently, in terms of our performances in the competitions that we enter each season. 

I’ve tried to make sense of his thread title and OP as best I can, hopefully covering every single possibility that may explain his proposition. You appear to have understood his point, as your “it’s not hard to work out” opening line would suggest. Perhaps you could tell me if the OP’s suggestion was option 1 to 6, or if it was just either of 7a or 7b?

Thanks in advance etc.

Think you’ve overdone it mate. Chill out.  In simple terms , do better than them in general. I think it’s not beyond Hearts to elevate themselves quickly to top 3 

7 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Are Nottingham Forest bigger than Arsenal, or Man City?

How long ago was it now? Just like the OF & their one time euro trophy success, it’s historical & will unlikely ever be repeated. Winning the SPL is all they & us can realistically aspire to. For us that would take a miracle & referees who are hearts season ticket holders. The sheep should only be in our shadow.

Mr Elwood P

How do we equal it thou. 

No Scottish team, apart from Celtic, will be anywhere near a European final for years to come. Even Celtic would need a brilliant batch of academy players to graduate together and then a few Van Dijk, Wanyama or Dembele calibre signings all at the same time! A perfect storm and that would only be the Europa League Final. 

Edited by Mr Elwood P

scott herbertson

Shouldn't be competing with them, should be beating them

Title change from Competing to Rogering please...

To put into context, Queens Park used to be a very good team but has no bearing on today. The past is the past.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

To put into context, Queens Park used to be a very good team but has no bearing on today. The past is the past.

Nailed 

fabienleclerq
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The OP claims that:

Thanks in advance etc.

Take it Aberdeen are at home? 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Think you’ve overdone it mate. Chill out.  In simple terms , do better than them in general. I think it’s not beyond Hearts to elevate themselves quickly to top 3 

Just a tad. 

Aberdeen have a few seasons on the rest of the 'big' teams bar Celtic. Even then, they had the best chance they'll ever get to win silverware and battle for titles and bottled it.

For a side who are technically 2 seasons ahead of us at least, we certainly hold our own against them in games, and we aren't miles behind in the tables either. Dare i say the gap is closing too.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Are Nottingham Forest bigger than Arsenal, or Man City?

Although I get you point, we are no where near as successful as thse two teams relative wise so the comparison is a wee bit daft.

7 minutes ago, Locky said:

Aberdeen have a few seasons on the rest of the 'big' teams bar Celtic. Even then, they had the best chance they'll ever get to win silverware and battle for titles and bottled it.

For a side who are technically 2 seasons ahead of us at least, we certainly hold our own against them in games, and we aren't miles behind in the tables either. Dare i say the gap is closing too.

This is where I’m at too. 

portobellojambo1
9 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Of course you cannot say at this stage that Hickey will be better than Tierney, but that in itself doesn't mean that he never will be. Likewise if you adopt an attitude that we can never compete with the OF then we never will compete with them. We may never be able to compete with them financially, well certainly not in the short term, but with the right approach there is nothing to really stop us looking to compete with them on the park and that is what we need to strive to do. The start has to be to make ourselves less likely to throw away points against teams poorer than us and then work up the way.