Primark

Morgan

I’ve been to Primark on Princes Street a few times and have visited their store in Barcelona a couple of times.

There is a Primark store opened fairly recently about an hours train journey from where I now stay. We can’t decide if it’s worth a visit for a wee  look-see. It’s part of a huge outdoor shopping centre so, for that reason alone, we may venture along.

What are folks thoughts on this shops goods?   The prices seem ridiculously cheap so, are the clothes just rubbish or are they any good?

Utter garbage a lot of the products. Some bad stories about the manufacturer working conditions in the past, though I've not looked for a few years. 

Yeah its complete shit. I went to the Livingston shop the other day for some holiday clothes and walked out empty handed. The clothes are cheap and nasty.

Used them once for an emergency pair of jeans  which cost me a tenner. There are stories of their questionable working practices such as using sweat shops in India. If you're on a low income, then there is no harm in buying from them. 

Usually buy stuff for holidays out of there, as I don't mind when it gets ruined with sun cream etc. 

Their clothes are pretty much disposable, quite often don't survive going through the washing machine, so wouldn't go expecting anything decent. 

The White Cockade

Stuff is good value for the price

depends if you are one of those people who can only wear designer gear ?

11 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Yeah its complete shit. I went to the Livingston shop the other day for some holiday clothes and walked out empty handed. The clothes are cheap and nasty.

I used the Livi one for a pair of emergency jeans. If you have a little extra to spend you're better off going clothes shopping in the designer outlet at the other end of the Centre. 

3fingersreid

Wish it was around when my kids were wee as it would’ve saved us a fortune on kids clothes . Decent cheap shirts for work and there lightweight jackets are fine but not so much the rest of it 

17 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I bought a pair of cheap shorts and a couple of sloppy Joe's for our visit down under. 

They will probably remain there....

I’ve had the odd t-shirt and pair of beach shorts from there.

Because the sun is very harsh on clothes, they lasted just one summer but were fine for just knocking about in.

My massively obese sister-in-law gets the huge sizes at even lower prices as nobody else needs tents to wear to work.

She no doubt gets carried away with all the sweets they flog near the check-outs too.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I bought a pair of cheap shorts and a couple of sloppy Joe's for our visit down under. 

They will probably remain there....

:rofl:

Showing your age there Jonno.

Or, are they back in fashion?

Stewie Griffin

Wouldn’t normally shop there however got some cheap T-shirts for during the day on holiday so if they get ruined by sun cream then it doesn’t matter as I’ll probably leave them behind when I come back. No point wasting good / expensive T-shirt’s due to sun cream.

5 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

:rofl:

Showing your age there Jonno.

Or, are they back in fashion?

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

They never went out of fashion, Tommy....

:wink:

Getting mixed up with 'sloppy seconds' type conversation imo.

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

They never went out of fashion, Tommy....

:wink:

Was wanting to post a photo, theyre too old for the internet

These threads are always good for weeding out the stuck up snobs amongst us. One has already surfaced.

It's not a shop I frequent often but always good for some bargain clothing.

I’ve had a couple of T-Shirts from Primark in the past but they lasted about 2 washes. 

However, we buy quite a lot of our kids clothes there as it’s going to get wrecked anyway. In fairness, the kids stuff seems to last quite well.

As someone else mentioned though, there is/was questions around the ethics of the company. 

On a serious note, my wife’s sister says that the ‘household stuff’ is pretty good. Towels, bedding.. that sort of thing

Francis Albert

It is mostly crap but there are the occasional things that undercut the sometimes silly prices of the "mainstream" shops.

In an age where we are all supposed to be worried about the planet a culture where people seem to stock up on a weekly basis with enough clothing to have in the past filled most of anyone's wardrobe, and where some of the stuff is so cheap (and of poor quality) that  it is barely worth washing and rewearing, seems a little troubling.

AlphonseCapone

In general you tend to get what you pay for. But you can pick clothes up cheap if that's what you want/need. There's moral questions over most of the stuff we have in the West, I'm sure plenty folk on here have iphones for examples but for some reason it only gets brought up in relation to cheap things. 

There's a sweet spot for me between the low quality of primark and the wanky behaviour of paying over the odds for a piece of material with a "logo" on it. 

Excellent if you have kids.

Buy plenty cheap gear for them to act like kids and ruin completely without making you bankrupt in the process.

Салатные палочки

I buy T shirts for kicking about the pool on holiday as I don't, as mentioned above, mind if I get a bit of sun cream on them. I usually bin them when I'm packing my case to go home. The quality is utter shite but saves ruining a good t shirt just to be noticed around the pool where no one really gives a shiny shite. 

Edit. I should say my daughter still buys stuff from there. It seems popular with teenagers. Judging by the amount of young lassies cutting about with massive Primark bags at the weekend, their parents must give them a tenner and they come home with a new wardrobe. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

Ankle socks and underwear. Cargo shorts, cheap T shirts for around the pool.

Apparently the candles are decent ?‍♂️

Great for the kids, especially mine who is around nursery age. We usually shop in gap and next for him but for all his nursery clothes and holiday (daytime) stuff we use primark.

Cruyff Turn

Imo shite, but only because I actually hate the shop itself. I’ve never actually bought any clothes from Primark because I am a clothes snob. My missus will buy the odd top but she will buy lots for the kids, which i suppose shops like Primark & H&M are great for.

If my missus goes into that shop, I sit in the Rose Street Brewery until she’s finished. True story. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

In general you tend to get what you pay for. But you can pick clothes up cheap if that's what you want/need. There's moral questions over most of the stuff we have in the West, I'm sure plenty folk on here have iphones for examples but for some reason it only gets brought up in relation to cheap things. 

There's a sweet spot for me between the low quality of primark and the wanky behaviour of paying over the odds for a piece of material with a "logo" on it. 

This, quality in Primark is negligible but there is a big gap between Primark and designed clobber.

Primark reminds me of what everyone wants clothing at affordable prices and you look smart as well.I find the quality decent enough

i wouldn’t recommend there undies as my elastic waist band snapped after one wash.☹️ Other than that I’m a fan of Primark..

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Used them once for an emergency pair of jeans  which cost me a tenner. There are stories of their questionable working practices such as using sweat shops in India. If you're on a low income, then there is no harm in buying from them. 

Pish yourself?

I've never been in one. Are they today's equivalent of What Every Woman Wants?

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

I buy T shirts for kicking about the pool on holiday as I don't, as mentioned above, mind if I get a bit of sun cream on them. I usually bin them when I'm packing my case to go home. The quality is utter shite but saves ruining a good t shirt just to be noticed around the pool where no one really gives a shiny shite. 

Edit. I should say my daughter still buys stuff from there. It seems popular with teenagers. Judging by the amount of young lassies cutting about with massive Primark bags at the weekend, their parents must give them a tenner and they come home with a new wardrobe. 

Was going to say , the times I go in with the wife it seems hugely popular with females. Far more seem to shop in there than guys. 

I’ve never had anything out of the place myself but females seem to get away better with combinations of cheap and dearer clothing.  

1 hour ago, CostaJambo said:

This, quality in Primark is negligible but there is a big gap between Primark and designed clobber.

Not sure about that. There's some terrible quality stuff out there masquerading as designer gear. 

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

These threads are always good for weeding out the stuck up snobs amongst us. One has already surfaced.

It's not a shop I frequent often but always good for some bargain clothing.

:pleasing: hello , Ian ! 

Back in the civilised world we have Amazon. 

Spending an hour travelling to visit a shop  :rofl:

In fact shopping :rofl:

Their plain t shirts are £2 each and brand new for knockin aboot the hoose in. What’s no to like ffs ?

Was doon in Newcastle last year one weekend and found myself in Primark on the Sat afternoon. Decided I’d pick up a couple of the grey t shirts I like. Took them to the counter only to find they’d been reduced. They were somethin like £1.84 each. 

I remember on one one hand being delighted, but on the other, wondering what the **** I’d become...? True story. 

7 minutes ago, been here before said:

People who travel by bus buy their clothes from Primark.

There's been studies done about it.

I can back that up. I’ve bought stuff from Primark, and have also been on a bus. So it must be true. 

been here before
20 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I can back that up. I’ve bought stuff from Primark, and have also been on a bus. So it must be true. 

These type of studies are seldom wrong. I rarely if ever travel by bus, perhaps once or twice a year and have never shopped at Primark. My Mrs on the other hand does both.

Real urban fashionistas are far more likely to be found rocking the latest cutting edge creations from Tu at Sainsburys.

Especially when theres a 25% off extravaganza.

As a pertinant aside- I believe both Harold Shipman shopped at and Neil Lennon still patronises Primark.

Edited by been here before

Hell on earth place 

particularly the one at the fort where I was found this afternoon

shite everywhere and full of folk who can’t grasp any sort of manners.

did come away with what I went in for (mattress protector and a jacket for the wee man) but didn’t even bother trying to look for anything 

Nope nope nope. Badly fitting clothes in the men's section. You will only end up disappointed. Maybe fine for some cheap daytime holiday footwear. And socks. Otherwise avoid.

17 hours ago, Morgan said:

I’ve been to Primark on Princes Street a few times and have visited their store in Barcelona a couple of times.

There is a Primark store opened fairly recently about an hours train journey from where I now stay. We can’t decide if it’s worth a visit for a wee  look-see. It’s part of a huge outdoor shopping centre so, for that reason alone, we may venture along.

What are folks thoughts on this shops goods?   The prices seem ridiculously cheap so, are the clothes just rubbish or are they any good?

Preemark or Prymark? Prymark for me, but everybody else I know says Preemark. Weirdos.

Edited by ri Alban

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Preemark or Prymark? Prymark for me, but everybody else I know says Preemark. Weirdos.

Never heard it pronounced other than Prymark.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Very English of you.

1 minute ago, Justin Z said:

Very English of you.

Yip! Ma Mrs said the same. I just pronounce names as the company. Krispy Kreme(Cream), Menzies(Mingus) etc...

Edited by ri Alban