Whitehill Welfare v Hearts , Sat.July 6

BEDNAR BOY

While the first team are away in Ireland those of us who can’t make it should pencil in this date for our first taste of Maroon for the new season.

A Hearts XI take on Whitehill Welfare with a 1pm Kick off in what promises to be a good afternoon out at Ferguson Park and offers the chance to see our young stars in action hopefully with  the added attraction of players returning from injury and new/ fringe players that don’t make the cut for the Ireland trip.

Entry is by donation (£5 minimum) and all income is going towards their Floodlight Fund.

Oh ! There is also a great wee bar / club open to all inside the ground.  

Let’s make some noise..the new season is almost here.

TyphoonJambo

Pies used to be good there as well, when my wee Bro played there. A good and easy trip.

SectionDJambo

The wee bar/club is named in tribute to the late Eddie Thomson. Eddie had a very good career with Hearts in the late 60s and early 70s, when we were stuttering along. He signed from Whitehill Welfare and was born in Rosewell. There is a collection of team jerseys of the clubs he played for over his career.

He was part of a decent defence with Alan Anderson, Ian Sneddon, Peter Oliver, Dave Clunie to name a few.

He had a good spell in Australia after he emigrated there, becoming the national team manager.

Anyone going along to the game should raise a glass to Eddie in the bar. It is a nice thing that he is remembered by naming the bar after him. It’s very sad that he was taken so young by cancer.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The wee bar/club is named in tribute to the late Eddie Thomson. Eddie had a very good career with Hearts in the late 60s and early 70s, when we were stuttering along. He signed from Whitehill Welfare and was born in Rosewell. There is a collection of team jerseys of the clubs he played for over his career.

He was part of a decent defence with Alan Anderson, Ian Sneddon, Peter Oliver, Dave Clunie to name a few.

He had a good spell in Australia after he emigrated there, becoming the national team manager.

Anyone going along to the game should raise a glass to Eddie in the bar. It is a nice thing that he is remembered by naming the bar after him. It’s very sad that he was taken so young by cancer.

I remember him. Went to Aberdeen for a few seasons before emigrating to Australia. 

11 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Sorry to hear he has passed away.  Coached NZ around 25 years ago and I had a good chat to him once at a National Tournament.  Very good guy and not a bad player either.

• 2 weeks later...
bilstonjambo

Folks just a reminder kick off for this game is at 1pm at Ferguson park in rosewell. 

The bar bar in the club room will be open from 11.30am so if your not heading to NI to watch us get yourself along to rosewell to support the young lads and Whitehill Welfare at the same time.

a few pints, a pie and a game of football what could you ask for?

B203254F-EC67-44C1-B81D-C5886FAD9070.jpeg

Footballfirst

I suspect that the game will end up being mainly Whitehill's U20s against Hearts U18s, given the squad that is over in Ireland.

Whitehill's first team are due to play in the Shaun Woodburn memorial cup the following day against Bonnyrigg Rose and Leith Athletic.

4 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Could the players who didn't travel be involved?

Haring for example?

I’d expect the entire line up will be made up of players who didn’t travel ::troll::

On 23/06/2019 at 13:08, SectionDJambo said:

They also have Eddies medals but these are not on display.....

Went to see a white hill welfare game last season and was an enjoyable experience, had the car so couldn’t enjoy the bar, but it did look decent 

pie was decent and the game is for a good cause for them, so hopefully a decent turn out

im hoping to get along but depends on childcare 

58 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’d expect the entire line up will be made up of players who didn’t travel ::troll::

Dick :D

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, djrjambo said:

Best trip to an away match I’ve ever had. Around 500 yards ?

5 minute drive for me. 

2 hours ago, iainmac said:

Eddie died in 2003 at the age of 56. Tribute here. 

http://www.footballforums.net/threads/eddie-thompson-a-tribute.30687/

Thanks for posting that.  I'm truly shocked.  That's not long after I met him in NZ and my abiding memory is how well he look and how bright and cheerful he looked.

Colonel Kurtz
On 22/06/2019 at 08:05, BEDNAR BOY said:

While the first team are away in Ireland those of us who can’t make it should pencil in this date for our first taste of Maroon for the new season.

A Hearts XI take on Whitehill Welfare with a 1pm Kick off in what promises to be a good afternoon out at Ferguson Park and offers the chance to see our young stars in action hopefully with  the added attraction of players returning from injury and new/ fringe players that don’t make the cut for the Ireland trip.

Entry is by donation (£5 minimum) and all income is going towards their Floodlight Fund.

Oh ! There is also a great wee bar / club open to all inside the ground.  

Let’s make some noise..the new season is almost here.

Is the 31 from gravemountthe best bus to get there 

Footballfirst
29 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Is the 31 from gravemountthe best bus to get there 

The 31 only goes as far as Polton Mill. It's probably a 20 minute walk to Ferguson Park from the terminus.  The bus runs every 20 minutes to Polton Hall

The 49 is the only bus that goes into Rosewell itself. It also runs every 20 minutes.  If you are coming from Gracemount, then you can change from a 31 at Bonnyrigg or Polton Mill

Edited by Footballfirst

bilstonjambo
7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I suspect that the game will end up being mainly Whitehill's U20s against Hearts U18s, given the squad that is over in Ireland.

Whitehill's first team are due to play in the Shaun Woodburn memorial cup the following day against Bonnyrigg Rose and Leith Athletic.

I have been informed it will be Whitehill’s 1st team who are playing. They will also be playing on the Sunday as you have said in the Shaun Woodburn memorial games, these games will be 3 x 45 games involving whitehill, leith and Bonnyrigg

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, bilstonjambo said:

I have been informed it will be Whitehill’s 1st team who are playing. They will also be playing on the Sunday as you have said in the Shaun Woodburn memorial games, these games will be 3 x 45 games involving whitehill, leith and Bonnyrigg

In that case we may find that half the squad who are not involved in the Glenavon game will come back on Friday.

TorinoJambo
On 24 June 2019 at 01:08, Kiwidoug said:

Sorry to hear he has passed away.  Coached NZ around 25 years ago and I had a good chat to him once at a National Tournament.  Very good guy and not a bad player either.

Eddie was captain of the Penicuik Athletic team which made the Junior Cup semi final in 1965 ( my local team).

BEDNAR BOY

Football at last.

Lets get behind our team and get a bit of momentum going for the new season.

Think it will be Andy Kirks squad and maybe some of the fringe players left at home. Michael Smith?

For a good cause so let’s fill the place at a fiver a head.

:D Why are they calling it a donation when its a minimum? Surely a donation is voluntary, and appreciated in a 'whatever you can spare' capacity?

Better wording might have been '£5 suggested'.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, OTT said:

:D Why are they calling it a donation when its a minimum? Surely a donation is voluntary, and appreciated in a 'whatever you can spare' capacity?

Better wording might have been '£5 suggested'.

£5 or more would seem more accurate. 

We played hutchy tonight. Michael Smith and euan  Henderson featured and I think hearts won 4-0. Henderson scoring a good goal apparently. That’s all I know unfortunately. 

So looks like the fit ones who’ve been left home might feature this week 

16 hours ago, Bauld said:

Could the players who didn't travel be involved?

Haring for example?

I'd say if fit yes  Michael Smith started last night against Lothian thistle in a game up at oriam

Edited by jambocub

bilstonjambo

I believe that Chris Hamilton, Daniel Bauer and Euan Henderson are all in squad for Saturday v Whitehill. 

On 22/06/2019 at 20:47, penicuik jambo said:

Neil Jancyk(so) part of the new Whitehall management team, might pop up to this

Who's he?

bilstonjambo
Just now, RobNox said:

Who's he?

He played with hearts round about 2002-2004

5 minutes ago, bilstonjambo said:

He played with hearts round about 2002-2004

I know, was meant to be a joke!  

bilstonjambo
34 minutes ago, RobNox said:

I know, was meant to be a joke!  

I wondered....no worries pal ???

BEDNAR BOY

Looking forward to this one and seeing some of our young guns, particularly the guys who have just signed their first professional contracts.

Big things expected from the young goalie.

Plus a couple of pints in the ground which is a novelty, Bar opens at 11-30 , 1-30 KO.

Will wander up with the grandchildren. Ease myself in gently before the season starts in earnest.

Edited by inspector

Alex Kintner
40 minutes ago, peebles jambo said:

Not far from Peebles so i'll take a wee drive up and watch the future Jambos

Surprised you heard about the match in time :whistling:

Footballfirst
It's a very young side, with Danny Baur the auld yin. 

Edited by Footballfirst

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Weird seeing Dino Leddie on there considering the club announced in April he had left the club.