Girona

superjack

I’m heading to girona for a few days next week on work. I’ll have a bit of time to kill, probably a couple of days. Anyone been who can recommend things worth doing/seeing?

5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Barcelona, if you haven't been there before.

Got a couple of days there as well.

Auld Reekin'

Girona / Gerona is inland so doesn't have a port, but then again maybe The General was referring to Barcelona. Anyway, Girona is great: I much prefer it to Barcelona. It's a walled, medieval, city and - as far as I can remember (it's been a while) - you can walk around most of the city walls. Also good is just wandering around the medieval centre - all winding alleyways and wee plazas and suchlike. Very old, historical, and atmospheric...

Figueres and Cadaqués - further north, but easily reachable for a daytrip - are also very interesting and worth visiting, particularly if you're a Dalí fan: there's an important Dalí museum in Figueres and he lived in Cadaqués towards the end of his life.

I've no idea where to head for the best bars and restaurants* these days, but a wee bit of research on Google and TripAdvisor will take care of that. It's a great wee city, especially for just wandering around in and soaking-up it's history and ambience.

(* If you're into a bit of decent grub and vino, Catalunya has some of the best of both in all of Spain...)

Edited by Auld Reekin'

Auld Reekin'
35 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

The Knack’s greatest hit !

:greggy:

Or, the Kack's greatest 5h1t, if you're not a fan (which I am, of Gerona...)!   :thumbsup:

Perth to Paisley

Try Platja D'aro about 1hour away on the coast. We were there about 10 years ago and were the only English speakers there. No Union Jack shorts.

It was full of Spanish and French holidaymakers; food was brilliant .a hidden gem.

This is why I love kickback, some excellent suggestions. A lot better than using TripAdvisor. 

If you fancy time travelling back to the 1960's/70's, jack, go to Lloret de Mar. You can see what a Spanish resort looked like in the early days of the package holiday boom. :)

Ive been, not quite pretty enough (the town not me).Good for a day trip maybe 2 days at a stretch.

From memory it has a popular university therefore lots of eating and drinking establishments in the compact old town.

It has a radio mast that reminds me of WW2 films.

That's it covered.

8 hours ago, superjack said:

This is why I love kickback, some excellent suggestions. A lot better than using TripAdvisor. 

Hi Jack.

Just noticed your thread.

We lived in Barcelona for 11 months, so if you go to visit, and need any help (off the beaten track bars, places to avoid, tapas bars etc.) just let me know.  :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, superjack said:

I’m heading to girona for a few days next week on work. I’ll have a bit of time to kill, probably a couple of days. Anyone been who can recommend things worth doing/seeing?

SJ in Girona at the moment, here for a week beautiful city, compact, easy to get about. Plenty sights to see in old town, food and drink excellent. Had a good night last night at Sunset jazz club live music (all types) stage outside, may not be open during week though. La Terra bar in old town views to river good reasonable priced food, craft beers. Konig restaurants in main square and old town very reasonable and good menu very busy places, have a great time, we are.

19 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

The Knack’s greatest hit !

:greggy:

Thank **** it wasn't just me who thought this in my head :lol:

The White Cockade
30 minutes ago, RS86 said:

Thank **** it wasn't just me who thought this in my head :lol:

great minds think alike

or the other!!

I was there for a day three years ago. Thought it was an absolutely brilliant city and would love to go back.

I'm fortunate to spend a lot of time in and around the area. Definitely stroll around the old Jewish Quarter and the Walls - the cathedral will stand out if you're a fan of Tits and Dragons, but don't eat in the bars next to it. There are some decent places close to the river and on Place de la Independencia for food and drinks and I'd head there.

As another member suggested, head to Figures and see the Dali Museum and then head out towards Roses and visit Palau which has one of our favourite places to eat. A place called Can Carot; I often meet friends there.

Some great eating in Roses too and it has a few beaches, but try and drive up into the hills behind the town for the best views and the road Montjoi, a ravishing but popular bay and beach (it was also the home of El Buli until it closed down).

¡Disfratútala! as we'd say in Spanish but try the Catalan -gaudeix-ho.