VAR

Phil Dunphy

Smoked-Glass

Only shud use var for 3 instances. 

1.  Over the line or not (except against hibs lol) 

2.  Foul already been decided but unsure if penalty or free kick on edge of box(1998 Cup final?

3.  Brawls to see who hit who in a mele.   Game stops for this anyway. 

Imo

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• babywhalo

• Phil Dunphy

• The Internet

I'm all for the use of VAR being used to get incorrect decision corrected but the way it has been implemented is absolutely painful. As others have alluded to , having one or two operators who can allow the ref to view what they want to see is a far better option rather than a panel who take 3-4 mins to decide that the ref is then allowed to have a look at an incident.

I also think the use of VAR should be determined by the teams and not the ref. All the refs decisions stand unless a team wishes to put in a challenge to a decision then it gets reviewed. Each team is allowed one challenge per game and if it is successful then it's retained for the match. Means if you've dived for a penalty etc then you're not going to wast your review when you know you're gonna get grabbed for cheating, plus end up with a booking for simulation.

I'd only have it used for penalties, plus bookings and red card challenges as well. I don't think it should be allowed for use in offside decisions either as the offside rule wasn't brought in to penalise a striker for being one inch in front of a defender when attacking, it was to stop poaching. The offside rule needs looking at as well but that's a different story........

Maroon Sailor
57 minutes ago, meister said:

I'm all for the use of VAR being used to get incorrect decision corrected but the way it has been implemented is absolutely painful. As others have alluded to , having one or two operators who can allow the ref to view what they want to see is a far better option rather than a panel who take 3-4 mins to decide that the ref is then allowed to have a look at an incident.

I also think the use of VAR should be determined by the teams and not the ref. All the refs decisions stand unless a team wishes to put in a challenge to a decision then it gets reviewed. Each team is allowed one challenge per game and if it is successful then it's retained for the match. Means if you've dived for a penalty etc then you're not going to wast your review when you know you're gonna get grabbed for cheating, plus end up with a booking for simulation.

I'd only have it used for penalties, plus bookings and red card challenges as well. I don't think it should be allowed for use in offside decisions either as the offside rule wasn't brought in to penalise a striker for being one inch in front of a defender when attacking, it was to stop poaching. The offside rule needs looking at as well but that's a different story........

Some offside decisions under VAR are a complete joke

Stephen Muddie

Did anyone watch the Aus-Norway 2nd round tie? Jeeezus squeezus. Told my daughter she could stay up and watch it with me, being the keen young footballer she is. 3 hours after kickoff it finished. VAR looks set to kill football as a spectator sport.

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Phil Dunphy

VAR, if we really have to persist with it, should only be there to help a referee confirm a decision. Not influence him into making one. 

“I’m pretty sure I saw the defender throw an elbow into the opponents face. First instinct is it’s a red card. Yes?”

*15 to 30 seconds later*

”I agree. Clear intent, red card would be justified.”

”Ok, thanks.”

No longer than a conversation between a ref and his linesman. None of this 8 minutes to award a penalty nonsense. 

Maroon Sailor

FS - VAR getting involved again with regards to a penalty

The Yank dived how can the ref not see that ?!

gashauskis9
16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

FS - VAR getting involved again with regards to a penalty

The Yank dived how can the ref not see that ?!

When they developed the VAR tech I doubt they had planned for it be used by the shitest, most amateur refs I’ve ever seen.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Starts tonight in England with first Premier League game. 

It’ll be fireworks down there with that £££ league. Should be fun looking in

Just now, 1971fozzy said:

It’ll be fireworks down there with that £££ league. Should be fun looking in

Yeah

How they react to the decisions 

Btw Norwich might surprise people 

It was used in the Charity Shield game last week.

To check the Liverpool goal and a sending off for a Liverpool player.

Both decisions were made in under a minute.

Confusion at the game about the sending off query.No idea who the player was but apart from that it worked well.

Do The Dance
On 27/07/2019 at 09:48, Mikey1874 said:

Of course it should, very soon. As should goal line technology.

These are major things in football now, but we’re left behind by apparent lack of money again.

1 minute ago, kila said:

More bullshit nonsense with penalties and goalies off their line

That's the EPL ****ed for this season :D

Was encroachment by defending players, not the keeper.

But the Premier League had intimated that it would not be used in such incidents. 

37 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Was encroachment by defending players, not the keeper.

But the Premier League had intimated that it would not be used in such incidents. 

They're only not using it for the keeper of the line at penalties. They are using it for encroachment (if a players affects the game)

Interesting contrast with the live English Championship game today. If there had been VAR, which there isn't, both goals, certainly the Forest one could have been disallowed and Leeds would definitely have got a late penalty. 

But actually no one is really complaining that much. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Heard a clip of a Man City fan on the radio, saying they didn't really celebrate one of their goals yesterday as they knew it was going to go to VAR. For me, that's enough reason to bin it. If you're taking that enjoyment out of football, the what's the point in any of it?

VAR already ruined a World Cup in 2018, now it is set to make a mockery of the premier league. Will be interesting to see how long they persist with it. I reckon the tipping point will be when a big team suffers an injustice as a result of a controversial overturn

15 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Heard a clip of a Man City fan on the radio, saying they didn't really celebrate one of their goals yesterday as they knew it was going to go to VAR. For me, that's enough reason to bin it. If you're taking that enjoyment out of football, the what's the point in any of it?

Totally agree, but sadly nobody really cares about the fans anymore 

Maroon Sailor

Wolves had a goal disallowed by VAR guidelines.

If it touches an arm of an attacker no matter what and it leads to a goal, VAR will disallow the goal. The ball hit a Wolves player's arm from a team mate accidentally from a yard. That's harsh

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Wolves had a goal disallowed by VAR guidelines.

If it touches an arm of an attacker no matter what and it leads to a goal, VAR will disallow the goal. The ball hit a Wolves player's arm from a team mate accidentally from a yard. That's harsh

Same rule in Scotland without VAR :thumbsup:

The Internet

I hate that that wolves goal was disallowed. The rule is there so I don't blame the officials on the day but the rule is wrong. It's barely even a handball. It's been headed onto his upper arm from about an inch away. Such a joke. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Imagine killing fans goal celebration 😂 

Goal celebrations are what makes football football. That feeling when the ball hits the back of the net is dead for premier league fans. 

Nobody celebrates goals, just sit there and wait for 2 minutes while there’s a review. Then there’s a wee cheer

Could not have ****ed it worse. 

These absolute 1 inch offside calls as well, it’s absurd. Terrible. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Maroon Sailor
7 hours ago, Dunks said:

Same rule in Scotland without VAR :thumbsup:

The Wolves goal in Scotland would have stood as it would have done yesterday in England but for the stupid VAR guidelines

No intent from the Wolves player it happened accidentally from point blank range in a split second. Ridiculous decision

10 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The Wolves goal in Scotland would have stood as it would have done yesterday in England but for the stupid VAR guidelines

No intent from the Wolves player it happened accidentally from point blank range in a split second. Ridiculous decision

This isnt VAR, this is the rules. If the ref had seen it, he'd have given it.

I totally understand folk moaning about the crap things about VAR, but here it is merely applying the rules of the game 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, babywhalo said:

This isnt VAR, this is the rules. If the ref had seen it, he'd have given it.

I totally understand folk moaning about the crap things about VAR, but here it is merely applying the rules of the game 

It's not though. 

It's not picking up on keepers moving off their lines at penalty kicks for example

These are guidelines introduced through VAR. Accidental hand ball should not be penalised in the rules of the game.

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's not though. 

It's not picking up on keepers moving off their lines at penalty kicks for example

These are guidelines introduced through VAR. Accidental hand ball should not be penalised in the rules of the game.

The handball rule was brought in as IFAB didnt like the idea that strikers could use their arm as an advantage in scoring a goal (whether deliberate or not). It's nothing to do with VAR.

Maroon Sailor
15 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

The handball rule was brought in as IFAB didnt like the idea that strikers could use their arm as an advantage in scoring a goal (whether deliberate or not). It's nothing to do with VAR.

He didn't use his arm in this case.

The ball bounced off his arm from point blank range, he wasn't even looking at the ball, knew absolutely nothing about it but it just so happened it fell nicely for a team mate to score. Could easily have fell for a defender who could have booted it up the park

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The ball bounced off his arm from point blank range, he wasn't even looking at the ball, knew absolutely nothing about it but it just so happened it fell nicely for a team mate to score. Could easily have fell for a defender who could have booted it up the park

It's the change to the interpretation of the handball rule, rather than a VAR issue though.

9 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

VAR already ruined a World Cup in 2018, now it is set to make a mockery of the premier league. Will be interesting to see how long they persist with it. I reckon the tipping point will be when a big team suffers an injustice as a result of a controversial overturn

By that argument are you suggesting that Man City should have (wrongly) reached the final of the Champions League rather than Spurs. It was VAR that ensured that the right decision was made in that case.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

So we should just let 1 inch offside decisions go?  What about 6 inches or a foot?  You can't be a little offside.

By the same premise, if the ball crosses the goal line by just an inch, should the goal not be given?  

Both decisions are a matter of fact rather than subjective ones.

12 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So the ball hit an attackers arm in the build up to a goal and VAR (correctly) saw the refs error and (correctly, according to the rules) disallowed the goal?

Anyway - my general point is that it's fair enough if folk want to moan about VAR, but I'm not sure they should be moaning about it when it works correctly and enforces the rules. 

The Treasurer
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Goal celebrations are what makes football football. That feeling when the ball hits the back of the net is dead for premier league fans. 

Nobody celebrates goals, just sit there and wait for 2 minutes while there’s a review. Then there’s a wee cheer

Goal celebrations in the EPL haven't really existed for a while now. Too many tourists and fan bois more interested in taking a selfie.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's the change to the interpretation of the handball rule, rather than a VAR issue though.

The Wolves goal was a VAR issue. The ref didn't disallow the goal until VAR intervened.

Had the Wolves player deliberately used his hand to lay the ball off to his team mate and the ref didn't spot it then that's when VAR is good.

No way should that goal have been disallowed by technology.

Maroon Sailor
12 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

So the ball hit an attackers arm in the build up to a goal and VAR (correctly) saw the refs error and (correctly, according to the rules) disallowed the goal?

Anyway - my general point is that it's fair enough if folk want to moan about VAR, but I'm not sure they should be moaning about it when it works correctly and enforces the rules. 

That's the whole point - it hit his arm (accidentally) knew nothing about it, let play continue like it would in the middle of the park.

ming the merciless
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Agree 100%. Football well on the way to being completely ****ed. Hopeless.

It's the time they take to make the VAR decisions that gets me. It's almost as if they're scared to get it wrong because they're under the spotlight. Take the Wolves goal that was chalked off for handball - it was obvious on the replay, and there is no ambiguity in the rule - if the ball hits the arm/hand for any reason in the build up to a goal, it's no goal. It should have taken a quick decision by the folk in the VAR room to make that ruling, taking 5 seconds at most after the replay was shown, not a whole two minutes. And I say that as a supporter of VAR.

14 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

That's the whole point - it hit his arm (accidentally) knew nothing about it, let play continue like it would in the middle of the park.

But that has nothing to do with VAR. VAR in fact, although it took too long, got the decision right. You want the law to be changed, which is a different matter.

A_A wehatethehibs

Football will shortly go the way of formula 1 with VAR - it will become boring, stewards enquiry for every time someone overtakes another car on the track. We can’t allow overtaking what do you think this is? Motor racing? Drivers who’ve won a race getting 5 second penalties after the race is over so no put down the champagne you didn’t win your 2nd. Absolutely destroyed the spirit of the sport, that is exactly what VAR set out not to do. 

Maroon Sailor
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

But that has nothing to do with VAR. VAR in fact, although it took too long, got the decision right. You want the law to be changed, which is a different matter.

It's VAR guidelines that stopped that goal being awarded. Any goal scored if it hit an attacking player's arm in the build up or in the act of scoring no matter if accidental or not the goal is ruled out. Technology not the law disallowed that goal.

If that happened in the middle of the park then play would have continued.

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Football will shortly go the way of formula 1 with VAR - it will become boring, stewards enquiry for every time someone overtakes another car on the track. We can’t allow overtaking what do you think this is? Motor racing? Drivers who’ve won a race getting 5 second penalties after the race is over so no put down the champagne you didn’t win your 2nd. Absolutely destroyed the spirit of the sport, that is exactly what VAR set out not to do. 

Vettel was 100% to blame and deserved his 5 second penalty correctly and fairly giving the win to Lewis Hamilton.

The handball rule is harsh. 

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

It's VAR guidelines that stopped that goal being awarded. Any goal scored if it hit an attacking player's arm in the build up or in the act of scoring no matter if accidental or not the goal is ruled out. Technology not the law disallowed that goal.

If that happened in the middle of the park then play would have continued.

In this case though, it's actually evidence that VAR works (which is probably what you don't want to claim). With VAR we ended up with the correct decision according to the rules - technology aided the correct application of the law. It wasn't a VAR rule, it was an EPL rule - see "Handball" here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/49236534

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Vettel was 100% to blame and deserved his 5 second penalty correctly and fairly giving the win to Lewis Hamilton.

The handball rule is harsh. 

The point was more a general one, look at the decline in interest in F1 over the last 10 years. Too many rules, too many stewards enquiries. Nobody cares about that sport any more, it’s boring 

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The point was more a general one, look at the decline in interest in F1 over the last 10 years. Too many rules, too many stewards enquiries. Nobody cares about that sport any more, it’s boring 

Agreed. I still think it would make F1 more exciting though if they made half of the cars go in one direction around the track and the other half go the other way.

Edited by redjambo

7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

They do have problems with their rules. Actually arguably the tyres are the main problem preventing good racing. 

It's not unlike Scottish football in that 2 teams have all the money and resources. 

A_A wehatethehibs

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Agreed. I still think it would F1 more exciting though if they made half of the cars go in one direction around the track and the other half go the other way.

With European cup finals in Baku (where?!), world cups in Qatar and the focus on corporate brown envelopes there are plenty of parallels with football and F1. All the money goes to a small number of teams so nobody else outside the elite can  ever win. So many similarities.