VAR

Phil Dunphy

All roads lead to Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Homme said:

Yep. That's the issue. 

Obviously annoyed from a scotland perspective but Argentina must be unhappy too. They probably had more chance of a winner and progressing than we did. 

They looked gutted with the whistle as well. Only one team was going on to win and it wasn't us. 

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• babywhalo

• Phil Dunphy

• The Internet

Nookie Bear
3 minutes ago, benny said:

Var done its job tonight.The ref was rotten.

I can accept referees making mistakes as long as they ref to their best of their abilities and are fair. If they are not then they need called out on it by their bosses, not protected. 

If if you think I’m standing in the freezing cold while something akin to a bowling club committee look at decisions then you’re mistaken. People will just head for the exits if it happens in the last 20 minutes. 

Let's not bother trying anything then. 

Stick with the Status quo,  one nil up in Cup Finals knowing the penalty is incoming, low and behold.

Can't blame VAR for that of course. 

Let's get back to howling at anybody who'll listen how the Bigots get all  the decisions.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm pretty certain this will never happen. That would be some leap considering most keepers can only just reach the posts with their arms fully outstretched.

Momentum will carry them on though, especially on a wet pitch. If they are doing that along the goal line instead of in front, risk of smacking their head eventually I think!

Rocky jamboa

It was a penalty though so VAR got the decision right. Why did it take so long to give it? It was a stone waller. 

Coming off the line was harsh. that happens every penalty. As long as you dont jump too far out, should be fine. However, that's the rules so again, spot on. 

Presume the ref forgot to stop her watch when the var was going on. Should have been a good 5 mins still to go. 

Central Belt 1874
8 minutes ago, kila said:

It is who is behind VAR that is the problem, and how selective they are. How far back do they rewind? Do they ignore a free kick being taken in the build up to a penalty when a substitution is ongoing? Apparently not tonight.

The keeper on the line rule is nuts too.

Slows the game down massively, and things are under the microscope that could not be seen in real time. What a boring terrible way to officiate football.

Bang on, do people not see this? Do they not see where we are headed under this system? Incredible.

I dont go to football to see every single decision being correct. It's what differentiates football from all other sports. 

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Much better to allow a team to cheat and win despite breaking the rules right enough.

That's football. 

You genuinely trying to say the way that Scotland game ended was better than the way it was before VAR?

Nookie Bear
1 minute ago, Artful Dodger said:

Stick with the Status quo,  one nil up in Cup Finals knowing the penalty is incoming, low and behold.

Let's get back to howling at anybody who'll listen how the Bigots get all  the decisions.

How will VAR stop those decisions going on their favour. It’s still a judgement call. 

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's football. 

You genuinely trying to say the way that Scotland game ended was better than the way it was before VAR?

Yes because Argentina weren't unfairly robbed out of a draw.

So every penalty scored or saved in games with VAR will have to be reviewed before we can continue with game/celebrate goal, to check goalie did not move an inch off line or no one stepped into box before ball kicked?

No thanks.

The Internet

Oh, a decision went against Scotland. That's what's changed :lol: only when it happens to your team. 

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

I can accept referees making mistakes as long as they ref to their best of their abilities and are fair. If they are not then they need called out on it by their bosses, not protected. 

If if you think I’m standing in the freezing cold while something akin to a bowling club committee look at decisions then you’re mistaken. People will just head for the exits if it happens in the last 20 minutes. 

The problem is still crap refs.I'm not a fan of var but it was not to blame for that shambles tonight.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

How will VAR stop those decisions going on their favour. It’s still a judgement call. 

Exactly, so no change, why all the ****in greetin ?

8 minutes ago, kila said:

How long until a keeper cracks their head open by diving into the post because they can't jump forward from their line?

They can dive forward though, they just have to have a foot on the line when the ball is struck. 

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Why was there no VAR of the scored penalty to check if anyone stuck a toe in the box before penalty was taken?

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Sorry mate, but if you think that was a good way to end a football match, you don't get football.

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Oh, a decision went against Scotland. That's what's changed :lol: only when it happens to your team. 

How do you explain the OP then?

Generally a bad idea. But iIf you're going to introduce these things, you've got to be sensible about how. The rule about keepers not coming off the line is an absolute disaster. Who the **** came up with that? Literally every penalty save is going to be rewound again and again to check the keeper wasn't millimetres off the line? **** off. Absolutely mad. 

Nookie Bear
2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Exactly, so no change, why all the ****in greetin ?

So...introduce something at great expense that caused massive confusion, for nothing to change?

And why are you so aggressive about it? People are annoyed at the system, not at each other. 

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

They still will with VAR. It's the Glasgow way.

Nookie Bear

Sorry mate, but if you think that was a good way to end a football match, you don't get football.

I bet Lawson loves VAR :)

2 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

They can dive forward though, they just have to have a foot on the line when the ball is struck. 

Which is incredibly difficult to time, and the punishment is a booking, then seconding off if you do it again in the re-take :laugh:

Better just standing still and letting them score because if you save it, it'll get reviewed and chances are it'll get re-taken.

If you're a keeper who is already on a booking, it is just not worth the risk trying to save it!!

I don't think that decision was in the spirit of the game. If a keeper is clearly jumping the gun then absolutely, but that was painfully insignificant. 

Common sense needs to prevail in the use of VAR within the sport. Whats the rule with offsides, 'clear daylight' or something? Should be the avenue taken with how VAR is interpreted. I think VAR in live play has a purpose. The referee cannot see everything, but in the context of a penalty, if the ref can't spot an infraction at 12 yards with the naked eye, they're in the wrong line of work. 

The Internet

How do you explain the OP then?

I agree with you. It's an absolute pile of shite created by faceless suits who've never played football. The general feeling towards it definitely wasn't this negative before though. 

Yep.   The new goalkeeper on line rule is another cheats charter.      Howling.     Just imagine it's impact in Scottish Football.      

Nookie Bear
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I agree with you. It's an absolute pile of shite created by faceless suits who've never played football. The general feeling towards it definitely wasn't this negative before though. 

This tournament will waken football fans up to it. Or at least get the debate started that cannot be ignored by the authorities. 

34 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Anyone who supports its introduction doesn't understand football.

Football isn't the sport for you. Sorry.

35 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Anyone who supports its introduction doesn't understand football.

Football isn't the sport for you. Sorry.

Show me a decision that var has gotten wrong and I will back you. 

10 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Bang on.

nothing can be worse than the corruption here in favour of the old firm. Nothing 

Nookie Bear
Just now, 1971fozzy said:

Bang on.

nothing can be worse than the corruption here in favour of the old firm. Nothing 

How will VAR change that?

How long before the men in the tv suite are outed as Proddies or Tim’s? 

Var just validates their cheating. 

Robbo-Jambo
28 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I disagree. It’s there to help refs.  It was a clear penalty. 

It wasn't a clear retake though. 

Or if it was every penalty will now be retaken. 

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Thought VAR was only to step in for OBVIOUS refereeing errors?

Supposed to be.

You have to ask what is the point of the tv that the ref eventually looks at. If it is so obvious a word in the ear from the video ref to game ref telling them what to award/do, no need for them to have to have a look also if the incident is obvious.

Just now, Gambo said:

Why was there no VAR of the scored penalty to check if anyone stuck a toe in the box before penalty was taken?

That's actually a tremendous point and one I've been banging about from its inception. When a ball is passed through to an alleged offsided player all we see is the "offside player"....we don't see the ball passer or have any diffinitive rules on when the ball is actually passed forward. To define actual offside you need to see the ball being passed forward at the exact moment it leaves the boot of the attacker and in that instant you need to see the position of the player deemed to be offside. 

It's a joke imo.

VAR was brought in to help with the rules, now they're changing the rules to help VAR. The handball is the classic example.

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, Restonbabe said:

Kimpembe handball against Manchester United.

Whether VAR gets those decisions right, it justifies referees like the one tonight not making calls because someone in a wee hut will make the call anyway. There was one in the World Cup last year. Shite refereeing should be punished. Not justified with this shambles of a system.

24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Imagine we had a penalty saved by some cheating hun jumping off his line, but VAR correctly ordered a retake and we scored. Wouldn't be complaining then.

My imagination is not that good.

2 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Thought VAR was only to step in for OBVIOUS refereeing errors?

This was my understanding, it was to eliminate obvious errors, not turn the game into an overly officious joke. 

I don't understand the need in the Goalkeeping rule, I can't think of any penalties which have had to be retaken before because the keepers came off the line .02 of a second early. Its completely pointless and it annoys me that they've brought in such a ridiculous rule. Football's been about for over 150 years. By 2000 we'd pretty much covered all necessary rules. Instituting more rules seems more like its just to make folk feel important. Its needless tickering and shouldn't be welcomed. Referees jobs are hard enough without having to learn new bullshit every season because some arsehole wants to form a committee. 

FIFA are ruining football. Given how corrupt they are, how long before we have an alternative breakaway Association?  

Robbo-Jambo
11 minutes ago, babywhalo said:

And how many do have a foot on the line when they save it. Virtually none and the save stands. 

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

It wasn't a clear retake though. 

Or if it was every penalty will now be retaken. 

Both the penalty and retake we clearly correct decisions going on the rules.

Kirky Jambo
19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm Northern Irish and couldn't give a **** about the fortunes of the Scottish Women's team. But I absolutely hate what this shambles of a system means for the game I love.

*Goal scored*

"Wait lads, just need to spend 6 minutes to decide whether the goal should stand. Bear with me."

That's not football.

Exactly. I didn’t really celebrate the third goal for Scotland as I thought I better wait to see a replay to ensure it was onside. Think how many times at Tynecastle you will have leapt off your seat whilst glancing over to the linesman to make sure you can continue. Folk that say the City spurs drama was entertaining may  have a fair point for the neutral observer but I think it’s the opposite when your supporting your team rather than just watching any old game on the telly

Kirky Jambo
19 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm Northern Irish and couldn't give a **** about the fortunes of the Scottish Women's team. But I absolutely hate what this shambles of a system means for the game I love.

*Goal scored*

"Wait lads, just need to spend 6 minutes to decide whether the goal should stand. Bear with me."

That's not football.

Exactly. I didn’t really celebrate the third goal for Scotland as I thought I better wait to see a replay to ensure it was onside. Think how many times at Tynecastle you will have leapt off your seat whilst glancing over to the linesman to make sure you can continue. Folk that say the City spurs drama was entertaining may  have a fair point for the neutral observer but I think it’s the opposite when your supporting your team rather than just watching any old game on the telly

Clear foul in lead youp to their first goal. Not looked at.

Two stonewall penalties against Japan. Not looked at.

Three penalties against us all given by VAR.

This inconsistency of use will prevail. I'm out.

Imagine it up here.

The Internet

I think the 'obvious referee error' rule went out the window on like day 2, if it ever existed in the first place. It's there for maximum drama, nothing else. 

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

:Agree:     VAR will be used to justify the same honking decisions.

It can't be wrong... VAR was used.    Referee was asked to review it / referee didn't need to review it.   Referee corrected their own decision / referee was able to back up their decision.     

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Maybe we should just get AC12 on the case ?

Edited by 1971fozzy

With the penalty retake, it’s not VAR that’s the problem, it’s the new directive/rule/interpretation about the keeper’s foot position. Stills from tonight suggest it was extremely close, and if we are having retakes for that in top level football, you’ll very rarely see a penalty missed.

For the penalty award itself, the footage was inconclusive, as some angles suggest the Jockette got her foot on the ball, albeit only a slight touch. The sheer length of time taken over it suggested there was significant doubt in the mind of the ref and VAR panel, which seems to be against the spirit of the intention of VAR to overturn clear errors around penalty decisions. The problem is, of course, that refs now seem to rely on VAR so it’s not really a case of over-turning an erroneous non-award, and instead they just abdicate the decision to the VAR process. Not sure if that was intention behind VAR, and it could lead to broader application, with pretty negative consequences (in my opinion). 

gashauskis9
15 minutes ago, Gambo said:

So every penalty scored or saved in games with VAR will have to be reviewed before we can continue with game/celebrate goal, to check goalie did not move an inch off line or no one stepped into box before ball kicked?

No thanks.

This.  I don’t mind it for offside and penalty decisions, but using it to check the keeper’s position is a joke.  The ref can make that assessment themselves, they’ve got nothing else to do at a penalty.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

10 minutes ago, Jeff said:

vs

Getting a yellow card for that, ffs

John Findlay
34 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I disagree. It’s there to help refs.  It was a clear penalty. 

If it's clear why 5 mins after watching VAR to award the penalty. The ref had doubt. If doubt then you cannot award the penalty. VAR is farcical. Full stop.