VAR

Phil Dunphy

Phil Dunphy

Anyone who supports its introduction doesn't understand football.

Football isn't the sport for you. Sorry.

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• babywhalo

• Phil Dunphy

• The Internet

3 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Don’t agree. If you are referring to tonight’s Scotland game, the Ref got both decisions wrong. VAR was correct.

5 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Correct

Phil Dunphy
Just now, McCrae said:

Don’t agree. If you are referring to tonight’s Scotland game, the Ref got both decisions wrong. VAR was correct.

VAR shouldn't decide football matches like that.

That's a penalty, if a referee can't make that call in real time, they shouldn't be at that level.

Pants Shaton

We might like it in the SPL if it cuts out Old Firm cheating.

Otherwise, where refs are fair, it has ****ed football.

If folk are moaning about VAR when it got two decisions clearly correct, I wonder what they'll say when it gets it wrong...

Mr Elwood P
6 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

We’ve just had the best World Cup

and best Champions League for a long time, both used VAR. 

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

That's a penalty, if a referee can't make that call in real time, they shouldn't be at that level.

I disagree. It’s there to help refs.  It was a clear penalty. 

Scotland were shafted in an earlier game by VAR NOT being used to make the correct call.

VAR does not do what it is there to do.    

3 games and 3 VAR penalties given against Scotland!

Perhaps I am biased but I am a Scot and must question its use and also the referees involved!

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

We’ve just had the best World Cup

and best Champions League for a long time, both used VAR. 

VAR didn't help those tournaments be a success. Football did that.

Football worked for over 100 years without it. It doesn't need it now.

5 minutes ago, McCrae said:

It's killing the game and mistakes are still happening.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I have totally turned my views on this around. I now don't want it anywhere near the game in Scotland. It is making a mockery of the Woman's world Cup. 

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, McCrae said:

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I think the 130 odd years of football without it was a banging success.

A proper referee gives that decision. That was an absolute farce.

The issue was the new feet on the line rule for the keeper.

Though I thought it was a foul in build up to first goal. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Can't say I am a fan but it's hard to disagree that its not fair. 

Like everything else it will be great when it is in your favour 

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

It's killing the game and mistakes are still happening.

I don’t think so..... it really added to the Spurs, Man City champs league game.

Mr Elwood P
Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

VAR didn't help those tournaments be a success. Football did that.

Football worked for over 100 years without it. It doesn't need it now.

Not sure that is true. The PSG v Manchester United game, last min pen brought about by VAR. Probably one of the most dramatic ends to a Champions League game in years. The disallowed Manchester City goal in the game with Spurs. Also excellent entertainment, especially if you dislike City.

It’s the penalty rule that’s terrible in the situation tonight rather than the use of var. 

Does take away some of the excitement though. 

While VAR is an utter shite heap,    the concentration should be put on the added time shambles.     That's the real disgrace here.

Phil Dunphy
Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Not sure that is true. The PSG v Manchester United game, last min pen brought about by VAR. Probably one of the most dramatic ends to a Champions League game in years. The disallowed Manchester City goal in the game with Spurs. Also excellent entertainment, especially if you dislike City.

There's the problem. Football is a sport, not an entertainment business.

That game descended into an absolute farce tonight. 

We absolutely need VAR. My problem with VAR is it shouldn’t be subjective, it should be for every wrong decision. It’s the small fouls, stolen yards etc etc that effect the game the most. You either use it for every decision or we patch it. 

Mon tonight’s viewing we also need a stop clock system with VAR as the shambles tonight was a joke. Penalty given at 85 minutes and took almost 10 minutes all in to get the game back going, game ended 30 seconds after the game restarted. Joke. 

copa-mundial

Var's called both decisions spot on. The ref missed them. Var didn't. It's why it's in place. 

Don't be mad at var. No team should be throwing away a 3 goal lead, with 14 minutes to go. Regardless what team it is. Be mad at that. Not var. 

7 minutes ago, Pants Shaton said:

We might like it in the SPL if it cuts out Old Firm cheating.

Otherwise, where refs are fair, it has ****ed football.

You will still have OF minded refs making final decisions upon reviewing it, or to even review it at all. 

Na its completely ruining the game. I was all for it to begin with but no thanks. Goalline technoligy yes but let the ref be the ref and make calls as the action happens like we have done for the past 125 years or so. 

The rule of a keeper not bring allowed to move off their line with both feet is a rule that is even worse.

VAR  decision was correct it was a pen and it should have given Scotland one against Japan had it been used.

Its shite referees unable to work it properly including time added on which is the problem.

It is who is behind VAR that is the problem, and how selective they are. How far back do they rewind? Do they ignore a free kick being taken in the build up to a penalty when a substitution is ongoing? Apparently not tonight.

The keeper on the line rule is nuts too.

Slows the game down massively, and things are under the microscope that could not be seen in real time. What a boring terrible way to officiate football.

13 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Imagine we saved a penalty against Sellick or the huns when VAR was in place?

Imagine we had a penalty saved by some cheating hun jumping off his line, but VAR correctly ordered a retake and we scored. Wouldn't be complaining then.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

While VAR is an utter shite heap,    the concentration should be put on the added time shambles.     That's the real disgrace here.

Yep. That's the issue. 

Obviously annoyed from a scotland perspective but Argentina must be unhappy too. They probably had more chance of a winner and progressing than we did. 

Phil Dunphy
1 minute ago, copa-mundial said:

Var's called both decisions spot on. The ref missed them. Var didn't. It's why it's in place. 

Don't be mad at var. No team should be throwing away a 3 goal lead, with 14 minutes to go. Regardless what team it is. Be mad at that. Not var. 

I'm Northern Irish and couldn't give a **** about the fortunes of the Scottish Women's team. But I absolutely hate what this shambles of a system means for the game I love.

*Goal scored*

"Wait lads, just need to spend 6 minutes to decide whether the goal should stand. Bear with me."

That's not football.

11 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Var done its job tonight.The ref was rotten.

Just now, copa-mundial said:

How do you explain VAR not coming into play to award pens to Scotland in an earlier game?     

All it's doing is to shift selective judgement and incompetence from one person to another.

Let’s also not forget that less than a month ago we where all calling for VAR in the cup final. I agree that’s tonight’s use of it and in this tournament so far it’s been a shambles tho. 

Phil Dunphy
Just now, benny said:

Var done its job tonight.The ref was rotten.

I'm sorry, but video referees shouldn't be used as a crutch to support dreadful refereeing.

I'm not disputing the fact it was a penalty. Clear as day. But the manner which it was given and ordered to be retaken? No. No thank you. If that's the way football's heading, I'm out.

Smoked-Glass
21 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I agree.  Get it to fk. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I worry for the far flung Jambos who have a train to catch after the final whistle if it takes ten minutes to check every decision in the box. Let's have timeouts too and Americanise the game to three hours duration. 

1 minute ago, kila said:

How long until a keeper cracks their head open by diving into the post because they can't jump forward from their line?

I'm pretty certain this will never happen. That would be some leap considering most keepers can only just reach the posts with their arms fully outstretched.

Phil Dunphy
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Imagine we had a penalty saved by some cheating hun jumping off his line, but VAR correctly ordered a retake and we scored. Wouldn't be complaining then.

And if the shoe was on the other foot?

"I'd be delighted if it worked in our favour" isn't reason enough to completely change the way the game of football is played.

south morroccan
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

If we had a penalty saved by some cheating hun and VAR ordered a retake the game would have to be abandoned after the pitch invasion.

1 minute ago, Phil Dunphy said:

I'm sorry, but video referees shouldn't be used as a crutch to support dreadful refereeing.

I'm not disputing the fact it was a penalty. Clear as day. But the manner which it was given and ordered to be retaken? No. No thank you. If that's the way football's heading, I'm out.

Much better to allow a team to cheat and win despite breaking the rules right enough.

August Landmesser

VAR used properly can work, but having said that, I hate it and want it nowhere near football. It has ruined so many goals, so many penalty saves, as there's always a doubt about whether it'll be allowed. 

The new handball rule and the keeper's foot rule are  both utter bullshit, devised to justify using VAR.

**** FIFA for doing their level best to ruin the game.

1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I worry for the far flung Jambos who have a train to catch after the final whistle if it takes ten minutes to check every decision in the box. Let's have timeouts too and Americanise the game to three hours duration. 

Spot on .That is exactly what is happening.

Stopping the game for commercial breaks probably next on the agenda