Parking at work levy

Who_put_the_ball_in...

Who_put_the_ball_in...

The SNP and Greens have today voted to allow councils to charge staff for parking at their place of work. Pretty shabby tax taking money out of workers pockets. 

Pretty much what you expect from those scabby parties that are anti-business.

Its a taster of how they will ruin the country post Independence.

AlphonseCapone

They've given councils more power, that's a good thing. Councils can choose not to implement it. Folk should argue against why councils shouldn't have more power because that's essentially all that's happened. 

Councils should take a common sense approach to this. If over a certain miles away...maybe over ten miles no levy if under and deemed able to make it easily via public transport, cycling or waking then charge them. 

2 minutes ago, Glottis said:

Just like the LEZ, another tax on the working class population.

Yes, But John Mason claimed a workplace parking tax would target the 'elite'!

These people have no idea, but they'll be OK.

They are grasping at straws to create tax revenue to hide their inept over spending.

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Councils should take a common sense approach to this. If over a certain miles away...maybe over ten miles no levy if under and deemed able to make it easily via public transport, cycling or waking then charge them. 

over 10 miles... from what?  Deemed easy to make it by public transport... define "easy". You going to means test everybody from where they live to where they work?

I can almost agree with this for people who live and work in the city providing the public transport links are good. However, for folk in the sticks, like me for example, have no option other than to drive to work.

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

You do know this is already in place in England don't you??? 

Trapper John McIntyre

Just remember about this the next time you slavishly stick your X in the SNP box.

Anyone who earns £26k is 'elite'.

They're not for working people. SNP - Utter phonies.

7 minutes ago, Trapper John McIntyre said:

Just remember about this the next time you slavishly stick your X in the SNP box.

Anyone who earns £26k is 'elite'.

They're not for working people. SNP - Utter phonies.

You don't have a clue do you. It is up to the councils to use this levy or not, just like is already the case in England 

Trapper John McIntyre
11 minutes ago, XB52 said:

You don't have a clue do you. It is up to the councils to use this levy or not, just like is already the case in England 

You don't have a clue do you. This is just another example of SNP financial mismanagement. They starve local authorities of revenue and then place them in an impossible position where to raise more money they are forced to implement this tax. A child could see through their deception.

Any news on the £1bn black hole in the Scottish 'government' finances yet?

Edited by Trapper John McIntyre

Trapper John McIntyre
24 minutes ago, XB52 said:

So its not just Westminster's fault then is it?

Re the topic..

A terrible decision may be coming to your place of work soon...…...Edinburgh will be leading the vanguard with total anti car brigade in charge

It seems we prefer to waste millions on trams used by a few and servicing a small part of the city

It's up to councils if they want to implement and up to councils how they implement it.

Doesn't mean individuals will suddenly have to pay.

5 hours ago, superjack said:

I can almost agree with this for people who live and work in the city providing the public transport links are good. However, for folk in the sticks, like me for example, have no option other than to drive to work.

Park and ride?

You wont get any of the stress of being stuck in traffic or finding a parking space and you'll save the environment and maybe a little cash.

Who_put_the_ball_in...
7 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

When have you ever known a council take a common sense approach 

8 hours ago, XB52 said:

That is irrelevant.

It is a means where car hating hypocrites in councils such as Edinburgh use taxis to commute to meetings and spend tax payers money on prime offices around the train stations.

Meanwhile everyone else who work at areas poorly served by public transport has to decide what creates the best work life balance and driving is usually better.  Employers need to recruit the best staff and the right prople may not live locally.

This tax will be jumped on by our arsehole councillors to pay debts for the vanity tram project.

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, XB52 said:

How's that relevant? 

It's a tax on working people yet again. The SNP have passed the buck to the councils to be the fall guys. I work in public transport so start before it's available or finish after it's finished most of the time, how's this fair? 

AlphonseCapone

This thread shows exactly why Trumps and Johnsons get power. Too many folk running around in a rage rather than looking at the facts. 

1. Why shouldn't councils have more power? 

2. It's the business who'll be liable for the tax, so if the worker pays, that'll be a business decision. 

3. In Nottingham, it only applies to businesses with more than 10 parking spaces. This won't affect small business.

4. In Nottingham, some businesses have passed it on to workers, while others haven't. 

5. In Nottingham, the money raised is required by law to go back into transport. 

6. Emergency services, NHS and disabled spaces don't count. 

7. It's been shown to have improved traffic congestion. Nottingham are the only area in England to have seen a reduction in travel times during rush hour. 

8. It's an environmentally friendly initiative. 

9. It's entirely possible for the businesses to set it up in a way that they only pass on the charge to people living within a certain number of miles. There's scope for flexibility by councils and businesses. 

On the other hand;

1. SNP Argh Argh bad Argh.

I'm being facetious. There are obviously downsides to the initiative. But overall I think it's a good move. 

11 hours ago, frankblack said:

I thought this related to council workers?

OK, read through and realise that this applies to all workers public or private?

Meh, I pay a monthly fee to park at my work already so I must be at the vanguard!

Edited by Boris

Just now, Boris said:

It does.  The SNP Holyrood administration is facilitating councils to hammer workers who have no choice but to drive.

12 minutes ago, Boris said:

OK, read through and realise that this applies to all workers public or private?

Meh, I pay a monthly fee to park at my work already so I must be at the vanguard!

At a guess I’d say it’s soon to go up by £400 per year. Unless you see your work swallowing it

25 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This thread shows exactly why Trumps and Johnsons get power. Too many folk running around in a rage rather than looking at the facts. 

2. It's the business who'll be liable for the tax, so if the worker pays, that'll be a business decision. 

3. In Nottingham, it only applies to businesses with more than 10 parking spaces. This won't affect small business.

4. In Nottingham, some businesses have passed it on to workers, while others haven't. 

5. In Nottingham, the money raised is required by law to go back into transport. 

7. It's been shown to have improved traffic congestion. Nottingham are the only area in England to have seen a reduction in travel times during rush hour. 

9. It's entirely possible for the businesses to set it up in a way that they only pass on the charge to people living within a certain number of miles. There's scope for flexibility by councils and businesses. 

On the other hand;

I'm being facetious. There are obviously downsides to the initiative. But overall I think it's a good move. 

Saves me replying to the loony britnats on here, well said but will be totally ignored by the SNP haters. 

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

That is irrelevant.

It is a means where car hating hypocrites in councils such as Edinburgh use taxis to commute to meetings and spend tax payers money on prime offices around the train stations.

Meanwhile everyone else who work at areas poorly served by public transport has to decide what creates the best work life balance and driving is usually better.  Employers need to recruit the best staff and the right prople may not live locally.

This tax will be jumped on by our arsehole councillors to pay debts for the vanity tram project.

It is relevant as this is being used by the britnats to bash the SNP. Even though they are not charging anyone and their glorious beloved tory government already have the same thing in place 

13 minutes ago, mutley said:

At a guess I’d say it’s soon to go up by £400 per year. Unless you see your work swallowing it

Well, it used to be free, but then the council insisted that they charge for staff, so one would hope it won't change.

Bloody hope not!

davemclaren

Isn't this a Green Party policy that the SNP government are implementing so as to get their budget through? It’s the sort of compromise you expect and need when you have proportional representation. 

I think it’s the start of many taxation changes we will need to get to a more sustainable way of life. It would be more palatable if the money raised had to be spent on green public transport initiatives. 

The Real Maroonblood
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

Snotters and tears from you.:laugh:

What a surprise.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

It does.  The SNP Holyrood administration is facilitating councils to hammer workers who have no choice but to drive.

The SNP Holyrood administration is facilitating councils to take more decisions locally. Do you prefer a more centralised government then?

37 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I expect Edinburgh Council will introduce it. 

Cant lie I’m not all that convinced of the merits of the scheme. I’m not comfortable with the principal of council being able to charge for what happens on private grounds.

i also don’t imagine it helps with congestion massively. Most large parking facilities are on the outskirts of town, the Gyle and the likes. They aren’t all that accessible for public transport unless your coming from centre of town in main. 

I also feel business and it’s workers will have to bear the brunt and in times when individuals and businesses are struggling, its a potential expensive many could do with out and potentially have real impact. 

Whilst anyone one who is not close to central public transport network will suffer unfairly/massively. Outside the city centres, the traffic infrastructure is poor in this country imo. 

Longer term it will encourage business to move to alternate locations. As obviously some councils are more likely than to introduce than others. 

Help for pay towards the costs of trams I suspect.

Mate, my earlier post is based a lot on evidence provided to a Holyrood committee by Nottingham Council and they've evidence of many of the things you aren't convinced by. Does it mean it'll 100% work in Edinburgh for example? Obviously not but surely their evidence is better than just assuming it won't work. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

On the other hand;

You’re not doing it right.

There’s no place in this thread for facts and good sense.

AlphonseCapone

Two other thoughts;

Working class tax - this is the weakest argument of them all. Unless by working class people mean anyone that works, which is just tax, then this isn't a working class tax, it applies to everyone. Arguably, it would apply less to the traditional working class who are less likely to work in cushy offices with car parking. 

Environment and taxes on general - This should be good for the environment if it reduces traffic as in Nottingham. Does anyone think that's a bad thing? It's also another step towards Scotland doing its part and meeting its early carbon neutral target. All steps, however small, help.

Then there is the issue of taxes in general. Since Thatcher, people on this island have been so self-centred and entitled. Folk are simultaneously moaning about councils being given more revenue generating powers, blaming the reason on the SNP government for under funding them and greeting because the Scottish Government has slightly higher tax for some people compared to England.

What do folk honestly want? Amazing services, great councils, pay little tax. It doesn't work like that. We have a deficit in this country (as do most) so it's about time we had a grown up conversation about tax because it is not a complicated conversation really;

1. You want low taxes, then expect many services to be cut or reduced. Bye free prescriptions, free tuition, stop subsiding the bedroom tax, free personal care, free eye tests.

2. You're willing to pay proportionate taxes for the things you receive.

At the end of the day, something has to give, because we don't generate enough revenue to pay for things as it is. But I wish folk would stop the self entitled we want everything but don't want to pay for it attitude. 

There are far too many cars in Edinburgh at peak times. This not only pollutes the air for residents, pedestrians and cyclists but snarls up public transport ie buses. If this reduces that congestion it will be a good thing. However it depends on the council if they choose to implement it.

I work in a city centre, my options for parking are public/private car parks which cost a lot, parking on street - (forget about it - £££) and most offices have either no underground parking or very limited spaces. 

To get a parking spot at my work is a privilege and allocated on a rank basis. In my view I see it as a tax on people who earn enough to pay it but I do appreciate that it will not be the case for everyone.

I would like to see the Nottingham set up where money raised must go back into transport. 

It’s got to be better than the previous policy of creating more congestion to force people off the roads. I won’t have to pay it though, as I don’t work at a fixed location and my work pay my parking fees

Scnorthedinburgh
3 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

On the other hand;

Also a company with a car park or parking spaces already pays for that space as it works towards their rates valuation.

Never seen anyone moan about that.

The Old Tolbooth
2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Snotters and tears from you.:laugh:

What a surprise.

Not just me that was thinking it then :rofl: 

The hatred is strong in this one :banghead2: :D 

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

It is relevant as this is being used by the britnats to bash the SNP. Even though they are not charging anyone and their glorious beloved tory government already have the same thing in place 

:cornette:

You expect people to take you seriously with your paranoia and use of schoolboy name calling?

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Where did i said it won’t work or assumed it won’t work?

I just said Im not convinced of merits of the scheme and highlighted some areas of concern. That’s a world of difference from saying it won’t work and it’s just you trying to put words in mouth I never typed. Intentionally or not.

Makes discussion easier and more productive to read and not assume ?

I did read your post and you didn’t provide lots of evidence. You just highlighted some items around the plan and pointed out in reduced traffic in Nottingham. That’s one piece of evidence, the reduction in congestion, The rest was just mechanics of scheme ie council more powers, business liable etc

By your own admission it’s not automatically transferable why shouldn’t people be able to raise concerns? Where my concerns outrageous or ill thought out. 

As aside I’ve read a bit about in notingham and it’s undoubtably a double edged sword. 

More than happy to have a detailed discussion about the merits of scheme, however needs to be a bit more nuanced than your approach appears to be, which seems to be snp bad/good. 

You literally said you don't think it will help with congestion when there is actual evidence in Nottingham that it has. 

Normally you are a pretty reasonable poster but your post above suggests you've taken my post personally. I'll apologise as I wasn't have a go at you. Your last paragraph also tells me you've completely missed the point about my post. And I spent half my time in the shed arguing against the simplicity of the SNP good/bad argument. Anyway, going to leave it here as I genuinely don't think you have picked up on the context of what I'm saying whatsoever. 

16 hours ago, frankblack said:

Will "They" be in power in perpetuity after Independence?

:interehjrling: 

1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Will "They" be in power in perpetuity after Independence?

:interehjrling: 

Of course they will!  They are, after all, Nat-zi's!

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Of course they will!  They are, after all, Nat-zi's!

Indeed...

fabienleclerq
5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

On the other hand;

The SNP are giving the council the rope to hang themselves though rather than introducing it themselves. The councils budget isn't sufficient so the government has given them a way to tax more people. It won't be politicians or the elite who will suffer it will be shift workers etc. 

I've voted SNP in most recent elections but this is another thing to make me look for an alternative. 

40 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

The SNP are giving the council the rope to hang themselves though rather than introducing it themselves. The councils budget isn't sufficient so the government has given them a way to tax more people. It won't be politicians or the elite who will suffer it will be shift workers etc. 

I've voted SNP in most recent elections but this is another thing to make me look for an alternative. 

Greens backed this play.

So you're left with: 

The Scottish branch office of the tolies, labour, lib dem, UKIP, Brexit Party or an independent.

Good luck with that...

fabienleclerq
5 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Greens backed this play.

So you're left with: 

The Scottish branch office of the tolies, labour, lib dem, UKIP, Brexit Party or an independent.

Good luck with that...

Ken, which is why I've been voting snp! 

I don't think they're doing a great job but there's not many alternatives! They'll lose my vote if this goes through as it will cost my house potentially £800 because they had to make some shabby deal with the greens. 

5 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Two other thoughts;

Working class tax - this is the weakest argument of them all. Unless by working class people mean anyone that works, which is just tax, then this isn't a working class tax, it applies to everyone. Arguably, it would apply less to the traditional working class who are less likely to work in cushy offices with car parking. 

Environment and taxes on general - This should be good for the environment if it reduces traffic as in Nottingham. Does anyone think that's a bad thing? It's also another step towards Scotland doing its part and meeting its early carbon neutral target. All steps, however small, help.

Then there is the issue of taxes in general. Since Thatcher, people on this island have been so self-centred and entitled. Folk are simultaneously moaning about councils being given more revenue generating powers, blaming the reason on the SNP government for under funding them and greeting because the Scottish Government has slightly higher tax for some people compared to England.

What do folk honestly want? Amazing services, great councils, pay little tax. It doesn't work like that. We have a deficit in this country (as do most) so it's about time we had a grown up conversation about tax because it is not a complicated conversation really;

1. You want low taxes, then expect many services to be cut or reduced. Bye free prescriptions, free tuition, stop subsiding the bedroom tax, free personal care, free eye tests.

2. You're willing to pay proportionate taxes for the things you receive.

At the end of the day, something has to give, because we don't generate enough revenue to pay for things as it is. But I wish folk would stop the self entitled we want everything but don't want to pay for it attitude. 

Free prescriptions is one of the best marketing ploys by politicians going, cost next to nothing (in relative terms) to implement as only 5% of prescriptions were ever paid for anyway, good part of what it costs to provide that 5% for free is recovered by not paying for a fraud team to try and track down folk that weren't really on the dole and then not even fine them but just make them pay the £5.75 or whatever it was!

Trapper John McIntyre
1 hour ago, BRUCEM63 said:

Lip,service policy for their Green Party pals

13,000 voters directing the policy of the Scottish government.

First past the post might not be such a bad system after all.

A lot of support for this plan appears to be based on the premise that all parking spaces are attached to plush city centre offices occupied by staff earning vast fortunes.

Whilst I appreciate this will be true in some cases, there are also numerous companies located in different parts of the city with staff car parking and not the best direct transport links (Crewe Toll for example coming in from the west). Had the original tram scheme came to fruition I would have been delighted to leave my car at the Ingliston and use the tram to get to Crewe Toll but I'm afraid the equivalent bus journey(s) does not hold the same appeal.

Will be interesting to see how Edinburgh Council apply it to companies but I think the SNP government will ultimately be held responsible for it by the electorate along with the high tax rates.