Favourite Opening Days

martoon

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, martoon said:

:lol:

Easy to mix them up. Both warm sunny days, both excellent performances and, of course, both Hearts 4...

There was also a 4-2 v. Dundee in October '87. I still believe the first half (3-0, HT) is the finest 45 minutes I've ever seen Hearts play. Indeed, the first half of that season was the best football Hearts have played in my time. 

Hearts were amazing the first half of that season and the 4-2 Dundee game was another great example. Do you remember the 6-3 home game against Dundee? Might have been the next season??

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

That was an excellent performance, we ripped them apart.

We sure did. And that United team was good enough to get to the UEFA Cup final 3 months earlier. I honestly feel that had we held on in 86, we would have strolled the league in 87-88 as we played amazing stuff and would already have had the know-how to do it. 

20 hours ago, BerraBelieveit said:

98/99 beating Rangers 2-1 at Tynecastle. Just seemed absolutely fitting after beating them in the cup final at the end of the season prior. Also just perfect script with Adam scoring first and it being 2-1 again. Rod Wallace's league debut and very fine finish as well. 

This

Haringshairband
12 hours ago, lsimp77 said:

Last season Vs Hamilton is up there. Resounding win and scorching weather. Perfect combination. 

It was good but I was in that stupid gazebo thing.

Away to St.Johnstone at the old Muirton Park 1983/84, our first season back In the Premier League after a couple of years in the dark.

Hearts were pipped by the Saints for the old First Division title despite having a great season so this was going to be a tester. Hearts won 0-1 and a decent sized support travelled up. 

21 hours ago, BerraBelieveit said:

98/99 beating Rangers 2-1 at Tynecastle. Just seemed absolutely fitting after beating them in the cup final at the end of the season prior. Also just perfect script with Adam scoring first and it being 2-1 again. Rod Wallace's league debut and very fine finish as well. 

This.

We were singing "What's it like to win F all" at the Rangers fans.

It was the first weekend of the new SPL. It was the first of the 6.05pm kick offs on a Sunday, live on Sky TV.  It felt like the dawn of something. And Hibs weren't in it. (Sky did a whole opening title sequence for the new weekly coverage showing fans of each of the teams. Nope, no Hibs.)

There was an optimism and a joy, which was sadly misplaced given the rest of the season.

About eighteen months ago, I had a lovely long chat with Monsieur Adam.  I was telling him that game always counts as one of my favourites. It was very cute the way he had to think for a minute before he said "I scored that day, didn't I?".

45 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Hearts were amazing the first half of that season and the 4-2 Dundee game was another great example. Do you remember the 6-3 home game against Dundee? Might have been the next season??

We sure did. And that United team was good enough to get to the UEFA Cup final 3 months earlier. I honestly feel that had we held on in 86, we would have strolled the league in 87-88 as we played amazing stuff and would already have had the know-how to do it. 

Aye. 1989/90, iirc. Got the bus into town after the game and was desperate for someone to ask me score. The woman who did thought I was joking when I said 6-3.

In reply to BB:

Felt much the same in 1987/88. A combination of a few things combined to thwart us.

We were terrific at Ibrox then, shortly after, Parkhead around November/December '87. Should have taken all the points on offer but slack, jittery defending and a dodgy Celtic penalty saw us take just one. 

I think the trauma of' 86 and the centenary thing was what separated Celtic and ourselves. We were as good as them, possibly better, but, at crucial moments we came up short. 

Fantastic, easy on the eye, football though. 

38 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Away to St.Johnstone at the old Muirton Park 1983/84, our first season back In the Premier League after a couple of years in the dark.

Hearts were pipped by the Saints for the old First Division title despite having a great season so this was going to be a tester. Hearts won 0-1 and a decent sized support travelled up. 

Good call, danny. Big result that set us up for a very good season. A lot of draws after the initial 5 game winning streak but still one of my favourites. A season of many pivotal moments that saw us move on from the grim days that had gone before. 

On 19/06/2019 at 19:35, Kid Creole said:

mine too ......

The best season I have watched Hearts. Every game was an expectation of winning and Rudi to score the1st goal ( 5/2 was the best odds). If only these days could return Tynie would be bursting at the seams ?

TorinoJambo

How about one for the oldies? Opening day 1973/4. Morton away. 2 down. Win 3-2 - Donald Ford 3 penalties. Beat Hibs 4-1 the next week. First Derby since THAT game on 01/01/73.

millerjames398

91/92 season at east end park, think crabbe scored a screamer in the first couple minutes and robbo scored a great goal as well in a 2-1 victory, set us up for rangers the following week when crabbe embarrassed goram ? 

And the 4-2 at rugby park with burleys gorgie galacticos team, came away from there thinking this team could be the business...

Guest ToqueJambo

The 14/15 win at Ibrox. First game after admin and a last minute win provided a platform for the rest of that season and the one that followed, probably the new stand as well. The problems of the last few years were instantly wiped away by a classy Sow finish and anything seemed possible.

10 hours ago, TorinoJambo said:

How about one for the oldies? Opening day 1973/4. Morton away. 2 down. Win 3-2 - Donald Ford 3 penalties. Beat Hibs 4-1 the next week. First Derby since THAT game on 01/01/73.

I was only 5 at the time, and have no recollection of it, but I'm obviously aware of Donald's exploits that day. Didn't know we were 0-2 down, though. 

More importantly, did the Morton 'keeper stay on his line at each penalty? :)

TorinoJambo
9 hours ago, martoon said:

I was only 5 at the time, and have no recollection of it, but I'm obviously aware of Donald's exploits that day. Didn't know we were 0-2 down, though. 

More importantly, did the Morton 'keeper stay on his line at each penalty? :)

Probably didn't but the wee man was so good from the spot it didn't matter. We won 3-2 there at least thrice between 1973 and 1983 and one was 0-2 to 3-2 so it may have been one of the others. Memories play tricks. I was 19 so an old fart now.

54 minutes ago, TorinoJambo said:

Probably didn't but the wee man was so good from the spot it didn't matter. We won 3-2 there at least thrice between 1973 and 1983 and one was 0-2 to 3-2 so it may have been one of the others. Memories play tricks. I was 19 so an old fart now.

First time I was there was in the horrific 1980/81 season. Around October/November. We were 2-0 up and threw it away. 2-2 and I think Drew Busby played for Morton. 

Also vividly recall a 3-2 win at Cappielow in 1984. Sandy Clark's debut and Robbo scored the winner. 

Particularly remember getting back to Edinburgh and being attacked by a sizeable group of Hibs casuals at St. James Centre. Just me and wee girlfriend at the time, both aged 16. 

Hibs feckers. Still hold a grudge. 

:waiting:

Edited by martoon