Favourite Opening Days

martoon

1987/88 for me v. Falkirk. Excellent first half and, iirc, we lead 3-0 at half time. Dave McPherson made his debut that day and had one or two ropey moments in the 2nd half but we still won 4-2. 

Sunny day, cracking game, Hearts were very good and Hibs could only blunder their way to a 3-3 draw at Dunfermline. 

Not one I was at but beating Rangers at Ibrox in 14/15 was some marker to lay down that season. 

As for games that I've attended, the first opening day that came to mind was 3-2 v Motherwell in 08/09. By no means a classic but must've stuck with me somehow! 

BerraBelieveit

98/99 beating Rangers 2-1 at Tynecastle. Just seemed absolutely fitting after beating them in the cup final at the end of the season prior. Also just perfect script with Adam scoring first and it being 2-1 again. Rod Wallace's league debut and very fine finish as well. 

Edited by BerraBelieveit

BerraBelieveit

Just watched the above goal by Wallace and it is not what I remember at all - thought he chipped the keeper for some reason. Ah well perfect opening day regardless!!!

20 minutes ago, Thommo414 said:

Not one I was at but beating Rangers at Ibrox in 14/15 was some marker to lay down that season. 

As for games that I've attended, the first opening day that came to mind was 3-2 v Motherwell in 08/09. By no means a classic but must've stuck with me somehow! 

Both them were in my head too. Like you, I wasn't at Ibrox.

The Motherwell game was off the back of a shite season, so to start with a win was massive.. But, Motherwell certainly weren't making it easy for us. Think we were 2-1 down at one point.

57 minutes ago, BerraBelieveit said:

98/99 beating Rangers 2-1 at Tynecastle. Just seemed absolutely fitting after beating them in the cup final at the end of the season prior. Also just perfect script with Adam scoring first and it being 2-1 again. Rod Wallace's league debut and very fine finish as well. 

Gerry Macnee backed us to win the league that year after that result. ??

2 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Can't remember and won't stoop to Googling in an attempt to look clever.

Ok then. 

56 minutes ago, Locky said:

Both them were in my head too. Like you, I wasn't at Ibrox.

The Motherwell game was off the back of a shite season, so to start with a win was massive.. But, Motherwell certainly weren't making it easy for us. Think we were 2-1 down at one point.

Think that's part of my memory tbh. Start of what was comparatively a very good season against a team that had handed our arses to us a couple times the year before. Never went behind though, apparently. Pegged back twice however

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7548332.stm

1 hour ago, martoon said:

1987/88 for me v. Falkirk. Excellent first half and, iirc, we lead 3-0 at half time. Dave McPherson made his debut that day and had one or two ropey moments in the 2nd half but we still won 4-2. 

Sunny day, cracking game, Hearts were very good and Hibs could only blunder their way to a 3-3 draw at Dunfermline. 

My first Hearts game...1st goal in 30 seconds or so!

1 hour ago, Artful Dodger said:

:4_1_72:

1 hour ago, stan said:

My first Hearts game...1st goal in 30 seconds or so!

I was tempted to include that in the original post, stan, but wasn't 100% sure. I may well still have been in the Green Tree when we took the lead.

I could have Googled it but, apparently,  that would have made me look clever. 

:)

3 hours ago, BerraBelieveit said:

Was that the first game of the new season? I recall Tyne was full and rocking. Shame it turned out to be a shit season.

16 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Crabbo.

2-1 win at Dunfermline, 1991/92 is the only possibility that comes to mind. Not even sure if Crabbo scored but it was a cracking day. 

Abiding memory of the game is how woeful John Millar was. Ended up being a favourite of mine and a great asset but he looked lost that day. 

3 hours ago, Locky said:

15/16, the 4-3 win over Saints.

First game back in our rightful place, and a cracker of a game too.

It was a belter. 

Iirc, we were 3-1 ahead but were pegged back before a late winner. 

30 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Was that the first game of the new season? I recall Tyne was full and rocking. Shame it turned out to be a shit season.

Dick Advocatt's (sp?) first game in charge. 

The feel good factor that day, and on the back of the Cup win, was immense. Who'd have predicted that come March '99 we'd be 3 points adrift at the bottom of the league. Don't think we won a single game from December-April. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, martoon said:

2-1 win at Dunfermline, 1991/92 is the only possibility that comes to mind. Not even sure if Crabbo scored but it was a cracking day. 

Abiding memory of the game is how woeful John Millar was. Ended up being a favourite of mine and a great asset but he looked lost that day. 

He did score that day.  I mixed his early goal against Dunfermline away with his goal in the first min 2 games later against the huns.  Love the guy. 

4 hours ago, Kid Creole said:

mine too ......

and mine.

I drove through with my 2 pals. Never even drank and loved it. What a good time that Burley period was.

Naismith's pro debut iirc

16 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

and mine.

I drove through with my 2 pals. Never even drank and loved it. What a good time that Burley period was.

Naismith's pro debut iirc

Made his debut at the arse end of the 03/04 season. Scored his first goal against us the next season. 

41 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

He did score that day.  I mixed his early goal against Dunfermline away with his goal in the first min 2 games later against the huns. Love the guy. 

Me too. Always felt an affinity with Scott as he was born about a month before me. Smashing player who loved playing for Heart of Midlothian like we fans would have. 

Good memories of his Hattrick v. Hibs in an East of Scotland Shield game in 1989. A reserve game really and Hibs fans close by in the old main thought he was OTT in his celebrations of his goals but seemed normal to me.

He was fantastic the following season in the first team. The first 45 mins of the Cup tie v. Motherwell with Crabbo, Robbo and JC up front was mesmeric. 

That Dunfermline game in 91 was game Joe Jordan and Frank Connor started shoving each other. Start of what was a very good season. 

Edited by Mr Benn

Few good ones been mentioned so far.

St Johnstone (4-3), Motherwell (3-2), and Rangers (1-2) were all great.

I actually really enjoyed Hamilton in the season just gone. Great result and a lovely day.

Bunny Munro

The rangers game in the championship was really important.

After the McGlynn year, then the admin year, to coming out of admin and being told that Robbie had been promoted with very little experience, a lot of unknowns in the team, the media telling us Rangers were going to walk the league and we would have to scrap for play off spaces with Hibs and Falkirk and QOTS. 

In reality the opening two games of that season were such a big statement.

Edited by Bunny Munro

Салатные палочки

98/99 v. Rangers. Genuinely thought we were going to be league champions that day. 

My yank cousin came with me that day and was amazed at the atmosphere . We went to Belfast the next day and they were showing the game in the bar on the ferry. Much to the dismay of the Huns going home. 

Two already mentioned spring to mind for me. 05/06 4-2 at Killie. Realisation that we had a cracking set of players under Burley and Ibox in the championship. First time I'd gone there since mid 90's, as I hate it there. Scoring again after their last minute equaliser..  . ...... Soooo sweet

7 hours ago, Thommo414 said:

Made his debut at the arse end of the 03/04 season. Scored his first goal against us the next season. 

Ah

idrc then

12 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

That's ok. You never, ever look clever ??

On topic:

The 2-1 win over Rangers in 98/99 should've been the start of something special that season.

Samuel Camazzola

I came on here expecting someone's favourite opening day to be Krispy Kreme, Hermiston Gait, 2013. There may still be time. 

2006/07 had a buzz to it after the cup win and Champions League ties. 

Away to Dunfermline with Paul Hartley sitting in the crowd beside us all, we eventually beat them 2-1. The following week was Celtic at home where we won by the same scoreline. 

10 hours ago, martoon said:

Dick Advocatt's (sp?) first game in charge. 

The feel good factor that day, and on the back of the Cup win, was immense. Who'd have predicted that come March '99 we'd be 3 points adrift at the bottom of the league. Don't think we won a single game from December-April. 

Ironically I never saw us lose that season. I was fortunate enough to see the first handful of games due to having the use of my brothers and auld mans ST and getting a run of Saturdays off from work. 

Edited by Marvin

14 hours ago, Locky said:

15/16, the 4-3 win over Saints.

First game back in our rightful place, and a cracker of a game too.

Loved the fact we added a clause to the Brad McKay transfer that he had to gift us a goal in the opening 5 minutes

The 2-1 win at Ibrox 14\15 stands out for me for two reasons.  First of all we followed that up with a win v Hibs to gain a mark on our biggest rivals which saw us drift off into the sunset.  Secondly I was guest in the Directors box at Ibrox that day sitting in behind Budge etc.  The celebrations when Sow scored the winner were fantastic.  

letsalldothebeattie

Rangers at home 98/99 doing them again just months after doing them in the Scottish cup final was great. If I mind correctly it was an evening kick off on a Saturday. 

Rangers away 14/15 the Os Sow goal to set up what was a truly remarkable season for us on the road back to the premiership. 

St Johnstone at home 2012/13 it was a decent game we won 2-0 but I remember it fondly for being in the crowd for Off The Ball at the festival before hand and then bumping into Craig Gordon on my way out of Tynie after the game. 

99/00 was a good one. 4-1 win at St Johnstone. We played really well and I thought we were going to have another 97/98. 

Also 14/15. Not that many times I've seen us properly outplay them at Ibrox.  

Edit - and slightly more weirdly, I also remember 08/09 really fondly. Beat Motherwell 3-2 at home, it was a really decent game and it seemed like we had a proper manager again after the total farce of the preceding season. Was also the first game after Mark McGhee turned us down. 

Edited by Bellion

Салатные палочки
10 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Rangers at home 98/99 doing them again just months after doing them in the Scottish cup final was great. If I mind correctly it was an evening kick off on a Saturday. 

6pm Sunday I'm sure. I remember getting back to Glasgow around 10. I hated those kick offs.

12 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

6pm Sunday I'm sure. I remember getting back to Glasgow around 10. I hated those kick offs.

Think it was the first ever 6pm Sunday KO. First season of the SPL. They were awful. Terrible time for a game.  

letsalldothebeattie
33 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I knew it was an evening kick off but couldn’t mind what day. Sunday does ring a bell now. Was a strange one but we got the result so who’s complaining 

10 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I knew it was an evening kick off but couldn’t mind what day. Sunday does ring a bell now. Was a strange one but we got the result so who’s complaining 

Pedantic time !

It was a 6.05pm KO. 

Unlike others, I enjoyed them due to pre-match beverage fest !

Had a ST in the old main stand. Good times.

Inch Hearts
11 hours ago, martoon said:

Me too. Always felt an affinity with Scott as he was born about a month before me. Smashing player who loved playing for Heart of Midlothian like we fans would have. 

Good memories of his Hattrick v. Hibs in an East of Scotland Shield game in 1989. A reserve game really and Hibs fans close by in the old main thought he was OTT in his celebrations of his goals but seemed normal to me.

He was fantastic the following season in the first team. The first 45 mins of the Cup tie v. Motherwell with Crabbo, Robbo and JC up front was mesmeric. 

I was too young for Robbo to Newcastle so he was the first player I was devastated that he got sold.  (I remember JC coming back but not leaving randomly) 

Last season v Hamilton was good. My first away trip in ages. Packed sweaty train journey, sing song in the pubs before, big hearts support, lovely weather, comfortable win and the train bouncing on the way home. 

N Lincs Jambo
18 hours ago, martoon said:

Here’s when you know you’re getting old. My memory had Hearts 4-1 Arabs as first game that season and I was going to post that. Quick check on London Hearts and was actually the 4th game of the season. Senility is not a good thing ?

47 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Here’s when you know you’re getting old. My memory had Hearts 4-1 Arabs as first game that season and I was going to post that. Quick check on London Hearts and was actually the 4th game of the season. Senility is not a good thing ?

:lol:

Easy to mix them up. Both warm sunny days, both excellent performances and, of course, both Hearts 4...

There was also a 4-2 v. Dundee in October '87. I still believe the first half (3-0, HT) is the finest 45 minutes I've ever seen Hearts play. Indeed, the first half of that season was the best football Hearts have played in my time. 

1-4 win at Hamilton the start of last season was a great day. Warm, big crowd and a great performance where the team showed their potential.