Craig Bryson signs for Aberdeen

Shaggy2

Inch Hearts
10 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Apart from Steven Naismith being several levels above Bryson talent and experience wise.

How do you work that one out? One played for the team one game away from the Prem last season, one sixth in the Scottish prem frozen out from his club for two years in the same league. 

Both prone to injuries recently, Bryson is younger.  He would have been a top signing in our midfield.  Laughable “ah didnae want him” excuses all over the shop.

Edited by Inch Hearts

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inch Hearts

• soonbe110

• SpruceBringsteen

• The Old Tolbooth

Inch Hearts
47 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

So the sheep have signed a player that we might or might not have wanted.

People are, as always, getting damp underwear due to us "being left behind" by everyone else in signing new players.

From the signings made by all other clubs in the SPFL so far,  I've not looked at any of them and thought "shit, we've missed a great opportunity there"

Oh, so we didn’t want him anyway?  We missed a great opportunity signing Bryson.  Don’t worry we have Olly Lee. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Genuinely gutted at this one, we've pissed around waiting on an over rated Djoum making his mind up and let Bryson slip through the net, he'd be a superb signing for us, anyone saying different either hasn't seen him play, or doesn't know much about the game, what an opportunity missed that is to steady the middle of the park for the short term until we could get a longer term replacement, and a player like Bryson would have brought on the likes of Cochrane as well. 

If we were serious about progressing, we would have signed Bryson and tried to keep Djoum as well.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

Oh, so we didn’t want him anyway?  We missed a great opportunity signing Bryson.  Don’t worry we have Olly Lee. 

No-one, apart from our management team, know if we wanted him or not.

Good player, I agree, but I'll wait until I see who we bring in before deciding if we've "missed out" on this or any other player.

My point was that I've not seen any signings made by other clubs that I wish we had got in before them.

Inch Hearts
Just now, The Treasurer said:

No-one, apart from our management team, know if we wanted him or not.

Good player, I agree, but I'll wait until I see who we bring in before deciding if we've "missed out" on this or any other player.

My point was that I've not seen any signings made by other clubs that I wish we had got in before them.

Come on, it was widely reported we wanted him.  I don’t think there’s any chance we will get a better player than Bryson.  Scott Allan would walk into the team but apart from that you have a point. 

The Treasurer
4 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Come on, it was widely reported we wanted him.  I don’t think there’s any chance we will get a better player than Bryson.  Scott Allan would walk into the team but apart from that you have a point. 

If we wanted him, as you say, then I'm sure we made an offer. If he chose to go elsewhere, there's not much we can do about it, unless we were prepared to throw silly money about like sevco, and we all know how that will end up.

Scott Allan might have been a good signing a few years ago, I've yet to be convinced he's still the same player.

The Old Tolbooth
1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

If we were serious about progressing, we would have signed Bryson and tried to keep Djoum as well.

Yeah I'd agree with that tbh, although I'm not a fan of Djoum, he'd show up better alongside someone like Bryson and it doesn't hurt to have more players like that. 

gorgieheart

Hurray another player for the PHM's to use to batter CL with !

This place is getting tediously predictable !

Inch Hearts
9 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

If we wanted him, as you say, then I'm sure we made an offer. If he chose to go elsewhere, there's not much we can do about it, unless we were prepared to throw silly money about like sevco, and we all know how that will end up.

Scott Allan might have been a good signing a few years ago, I've yet to be convinced he's still the same player.

Fair enough. 

Bazzas right boot
11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Aberdeen really do sign good players. That is why they are top 2/3 and we are top 5/6.

Aberdeen were 4th last season. 

Inch Hearts
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

How many points ahead of us?  Just so I can measure our progress that way. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

How many points ahead of us?  Just so I can measure our progress that way. 

Less than the season before 

For the record, Aberdeen dropped two places and had less points than the season before. 

That is going backwards. See the difference? ?

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Genuinely gutted at this one, we've pissed around waiting on an over rated Djoum making his mind up and let Bryson slip through the net, he'd be a superb signing for us, anyone saying different either hasn't seen him play, or doesn't know much about the game, what an opportunity missed that is to steady the middle of the park for the short term until we could get a longer term replacement, and a player like Bryson would have brought on the likes of Cochrane as well. 

I find it hard to believe that we are waiting on Djoum unless Bryson was going to cost a lot more than Djoum. 

Djoums contract is up next week. He has gone. Hasn’t taken up offer of new contract. His agent has said that he is looking for deals for him elsewhere. 

Bryson wants back to Scotland, or at least family does. He has taken the best offer he got. It’s his last contract. Nothing out there yet re details of contract but if Aberdeen offered him anything more than a one year deal good luck to both of them. I certainly wouldn’t want to start offering longish contracts to many 32-33 year olds. Injury prone and longer recovery times are usually the norm at that age group. Naismith a perfect example and Berra. 

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I find it hard to believe that we are waiting on Djoum unless Bryson was going to cost a lot more than Djoum. 

Djoums contract is up next week. He has gone. Hasn’t taken up offer of new contract. His agent has said that he is looking for deals for him elsewhere. 

Bryson wants back to Scotland, or at least family does. He has taken the best offer he got. It’s his last contract. Nothing out there yet re details of contract but if Aberdeen offered him anything more than a one year deal good luck to both of them. I certainly wouldn’t want to start offering longish contracts to many 32-33 year olds. Injury prone and longer recovery times are usually the norm at that age group. Naismith a perfect example and Berra. 

I get what you're saying mate, but we've heard nothing from the club to state otherwise about Djoum and whether we're trying to keep him still or not for a while now, and the last thing we did hear was that we were waiting until we see what he gets offered elsewhere before deciding what to do, if we're holding up our whole recruitment process because of that then I'll be pretty pissed off tbh. 

1 hour ago, Inch Hearts said:

How do you work that one out? One played for the team one game away from the Prem last season, one sixth in the Scottish prem frozen out from his club for two years in the same league. 

Both prone to injuries recently, Bryson is younger.  He would have been a top signing in our midfield.  Laughable “ah didnae want him” excuses all over the shop.

I’m a bit meh re Bryson. Has been a very good player however season before last Derby didn’t want him so he went out on loan. Last season he ‘appeared’ in only 28 of their 46 league games, no idea how many times he came on as a sub but that suggests he was either struggling with injury or far from a first pick. He is 33 in a few months time and I doubt he can be the ‘box to box’ midfielder everyone says he is for much longer. May have dodged a bullet, may have missed a gem. Time will tell. 

5 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I get what you're saying mate, but we've heard nothing from the club to state otherwise about Djoum and whether we're trying to keep him still or not for a while now, and the last thing we did hear was that we were waiting until we see what he gets offered elsewhere before deciding what to do, if we're holding up our whole recruitment process because of that then I'll be pretty pissed off tbh. 

The club don’t need to say anything other than thanks. That will probably happen next week. Contracts expire, players leave. That’s football these days. 

Byyy The Light

Would’ve liked to have signed Bryson. Maybe we made an offer and Aberdeen offered more. Who knows. Maybe he wanted to play European football. He’ll have his reasons. 

Love that people are just making up the reason he signed for Aberdeen was because of Djoum. Typical of Kickback though, just completely make stuff up and pass it off as fact.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Would likely have cost us about £12-15k per week to do that. Unlikely we will pay that for two similar players. 

The Old Tolbooth
9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The club don’t need to say anything other than thanks. That will probably happen next week. Contracts expire, players leave. That’s football these days. 

True, but when season ticket sales have slowed up to pretty much nothing, you'd think they'd release snippets to keep fans buying, maybe that's just me who thinks that way but I think they're missing a trick tbh. 

Inch Hearts
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m a bit meh re Bryson. Has been a very good player however season before last Derby didn’t want him so he went out on loan. Last season he ‘appeared’ in only 28 of their 46 league games, no idea how many times he came on as a sub but that suggests he was either struggling with injury or far from a first pick. He is 33 in a few months time and I doubt he can be the ‘box to box’ midfielder everyone says he is for much longer. May have dodged a bullet, may have missed a gem. Time will tell. 

Fair enough, he done enough last year for the manager to keep him, that indicates he still had something to offer in a top league.  As I said he’s younger than Naismith and played more football than him over the past three years.  Even his experience in the middle of the pitch would have been good, just to have someone who can put his foot on the ball and create space around him.

I wonder how Aberdeen can announce this without Bryson not losing the mythical contract bonus payment we are waiting for Naismith to receive before announcing also? 

Edited by Inch Hearts

4 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

True, but when season ticket sales have slowed up to pretty much nothing, you'd think they'd release snippets to keep fans buying, maybe that's just me who thinks that way but I think they're missing a trick tbh. 

Djoums gone, confirming that will only maybe convince any Djoum-hater that hasn’t renewed to renew. Not many of those I think. 

5 minutes ago, Inch Hearts said:

Fair enough, he done enough last year for the manager to keep him, that indicates he still had something to offer in a top league.  As I said he’s younger than Naismith and played more football than him over the past three years.  Even his experience in the middle of the pitch would have been good, just to have someone who can put his foot on the ball and create space around him.

I wonder how Aberdeen can announce this without Bryson not losing the mythical contract bonus payment we are waiting for Naismith to receive before announcing also? 

Possibly because Brysons current contract may include a one year extension that he has decided against doing which means he isn’t really out of contract. 

The Old Tolbooth
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Djoums gone, confirming that will only maybe convince any Djoum-hater that hasn’t renewed to renew. Not many of those I think. 

However, if they were to announce a new signing in the middle of the park then you never know, I know I'm clutching a bit, but just feel overall that what''s coming out of the club is practically zero these days when it was always better in the past under this regime, or am I becoming harder to please? :lol: 

12 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

If we wanted Bryson and didnt get him I'd be disappointed.

See my other posts about being unimpressed by several key signings of late.

I'm certainly not a happy clapper and am a wee bit concerned that once again we are playing catch up with regards to squad building this summer.

Bryson would have been a great signing for us. Not sure what he liked about Aberdeen. Money...Coach....European football maybe. An experienced midfielder like Adam would suit though. We should close the door on Djoum.

Inch Hearts
17 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Possibly because Brysons current contract may include a one year extension that he has decided against doing which means he isn’t really out of contract. 

Or even the fact he was offered fresh terms cancels it out maybe ?

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Its a good signing for Aberdeen, some people seem to have believed erroneously that the stadium development would hold them back, would imagine they are paying over the odds on this one and Main.

Good luck to them, but that's not a long term plan I think we should pursue.

Disappointed, one that I would liked to have seen, but its June, I will hold fire on judgements until I see what we do bring it.

1 hour ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Have averaged second for a good few years

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

2011/2012 was the last time we have finished above Aberdeen. Very poor.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Aye, but they slipped back a lot last season. 

But, yes we need to do better and catch them. 

1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Aye, but they slipped back a lot last season. 

But, yes we need to do better and catch them. 

Our output simply does not justify our input.

13 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Aberdeen really do sign good players. That is why they are top 2/3 and we are top 5/6.

They also pay higher wages if i'm not mistaken

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, i8hibsh said:

Could you explain that for me please?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, i8hibsh said:

When we ended up third, folk like yourself were unhappy then, so I find it hard to take such statements seriously. 

Only Kilmarnock exceeded their expectations given thier budget. 

Aberdeen, hibs, Hearts.-

Aberdeen dropped two places 

Hibs dropped 1 place and  a lot of points 

We were static, but got more points than the previous season. 

Being an optimistic person and usually being a bit more long term you could argue out of these 3 Clubs we were the only ones to move forward, bodes well for the future. 

Killie will also go through a massive change and be a different team next season. 

I'm confident of catching these clubs. 

Anyway, off topic. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

You do know a few off the field things happened in the 2 or 3 years after that. ?

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Texia said:

There is absolutely no evidence, at all, that we have missed out on Bryson because we're waiting on Djoum.

This. 

We_are_the_Hearts
32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You do know a few off the field things happened in the 2 or 3 years after that. ?

Yip, I also know that they excuses ran out a couple of years ago.

The Treasurer
28 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Not aware of any excuses being made

davemclaren
26 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

So Aberdeen have been above us for the last 3 seasons since we got promoted is what you meant. 

We_are_the_Hearts
Just now, Notts1874 said:

Just the one's in their imagination.

Their? Only one clique on here son lol....

2 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Their? Only one clique on here son lol....

What are you wittering on about? Stick to complaining about Hearts having to play some games away from home?

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

What are you wittering on about? Stick to complaining about Hearts having to play some games away from home?

Makes no much odds to you watching on Hearts TV anyway eh

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Makes no much odds to you watching on Hearts TV anyway eh

Again. What are you going on about? You are making just a little bit of a tit of yourself.

Let me be the first to say...Craig Bryson is shite anyway, glad he's signed for them!

::troll::

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, Inch Hearts said:

Oh I don't know, Steven Naismith spending his entire career at the very top after leaving Killie with Everton, Rangers, Scotland and the highest of all, us, and Bryson not doing that (albeit I rated him in Scotland and would have been happy for him to sign).

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 hours ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Other than fan base, they currently beat us in most metrics. 

I’d have been happy to get him but I really don’t feel overly disappointed we didn’t. 

If he was the best around in the market we could afford then it’s maybe an opportunity missed , but I’m not sure that’ll be the case? I’d like to see us dig out a slightly younger, dynamic in style, midfielder. 

Bryson would’ve came as the proven, experienced and trusted midfielder to show the way but if we sign Naismith we have a player in an advanced area keeping things in check.

Behind him, I’d rather see an energetic player in the middle who wants to go beyond his opposite number in midfield and offer support to Naismith and Uche etc....I think we have too many similar midfielders who play in front of the opposition and really don’t have the nature to bomb forward or even see when it’s right to break up the park.