Euro qualifying draws

August Landmesser

August Landmesser

Celtic drawn against FK Sarajevo.

Worth pointing out that FK Sarajevo play in maroon & white and are managed by Husref Musemic.

4 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Worth pointing out that FK Sarajevo play in maroon & white and are managed by Husref Musemic.

Now that would be a sweet defeat for Celtic to endure. 

Celtic face a potentially tricky tie against FK Sarajevo in the first round qualifying of the Champions League.

The Bosnian champions have a rich European history, and Brendan Rodgers' men will have to be wary of any slip-ups.

8 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

still got my maroon FK Sarajevo top from when we played the other lot Zeljeznicar (sp) cost the grand total of £2 or thereabouts, very poor quality.

Yey, Champions league qualifying... Where 2 teams who won their own leagues start to try to join the 'big boys' who finished 27 points behind the winners of their own leagues.

Notice that Sarajevo only have 1 player over the age 30.  Very young squad

letsalldothebeattie

I know it’s been said loads but to me this is still ridiculous that Celtic and others who have won their leagues have to qualify for Europe’s elite club competition. I know nothing can and will be done but it’s still shite for all clubs. 

WheatfieldWarrior
13 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Celtic face a potentially tricky tie against FK Sarajevo in the first round qualifying of the Champions League.

The Bosnian champions have a rich European history, and Brendan Rodgers' men will have to be wary of any slip-ups.

It pretty much is Brenda's team to be fair. I'd be surprised if Lawell lets Lennon near actual money.

Edited by WheatfieldWarrior

1 minute ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

I know it’s been said loads but to me this is still ridiculous that Celtic and others who have won their leagues have to qualify for Europe’s elite club competition. I know nothing can and will be done but it’s still shite for all clubs. 

So it should be full of diddy teams that have won their diddy leagues?

1 minute ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

It pretty much is Brenda's team to be fair. I'd be surprised in Lawell lets Lennon near actual money.

Lennon will likely be given a biscuit tin to play with while the actual money will be spent by someone else.

August Landmesser
6 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

So it should be full of teams that have won their leagues

FTFY

letsalldothebeattie
4 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Well last time I checked it was called the “Champions” League. Didn’t realise that 2nd-4th in most leagues made you a champion these days. 

Im not saying every European league winner walks straight into the groups but their has to be a bit of common sense about it. Celtic shouldn’t have to go through 4 qualifying rounds to get to the groups. Ajax semi finalist this past season shouldn’t have to negotiate 1 or 2 qualifying rounds to get back to the tournament they done so well in 

2 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

FTFY

In that case it would just be a competition between Man City, Bayern, Juve, PSG, Barca, Ajax and a load of cannon fodder, that would be absolutely shite.

3 minutes ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Well last time I checked it was called the “Champions” League. Didn’t realise that 2nd-4th in most leagues made you a champion these days. 

Im not saying every European league winner walks straight into the groups but their has to be a bit of common sense about it. Celtic shouldn’t have to go through 4 qualifying rounds to get to the groups. Ajax semi finalist this past season shouldn’t have to negotiate 1 or 2 qualifying rounds to get back to the tournament they done so well in 

If Scottish teams weren't so pathetic in Europe then we'd still have two champions League spots and an easier route in Europe. Instead we get beat off postman and labourers from Malta, Luxembourg, Moldova etc etc.

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

In that case it would just be a competition between Man City, Bayern, Juve, PSG, Barca, Ajax and a load of cannon fodder, that would be absolutely shite.

That's basically what it is now.

Restore the European, UEFA & CW Cup - knock-out, two-legged cup football. The wealthier clubs would usually get through anyway, but it would increase the chance of some real competition & interest. 

6 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

That's basically what it is now.

Restore the European, UEFA & CW Cup - knock-out, two-legged cup football. The wealthier clubs would usually get through anyway, but it would increase the chance of some real competition & interest. 

Well it's not really though is it. I think the champions League is just fine as it is, lesser teams get a punt at glory through the group stage and earn a lot of money.

August Landmesser
11 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Well it's not really though is it. I think the champions League is just fine as it is, lesser teams get a punt at glory through the group stage and earn a lot of money.

a) It shouldn't be called the 'Champions' League.

b) It's tedious shite.

c) No-one ever held an open-top bus parade for a bank statement.

AlphonseCapone
51 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

It's that sort of elitist attitude that's ruined a lot of football. 

londonjambo

Decent draw with only Rangers likely to struggle in Kosovo. 

Would be good to rack up a few country coefficient points. 

GC

7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's that sort of elitist attitude that's ruined a lot of football. 

Well yeh it has, it's pretty sickening these days but at the same time I enjoy watching the Champions League and if it was just league champions I think it would be worse off, neither Liverpool or Tottenham would have been in the competition.

I would rather Celtic had to get through 10 qualifying rounds before they get to the group stages.  

24 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

b) It's tedious shite.

No they didn't but clubs who qualify and earn the money have probably held open top bus parades after winning things off the back of it. You might think it's tedious but millions of people don't.

Midloth_Iain

The hypocrisy of football fans, eh ......

If Hearts finished second in the SPFL and somehow got to the group stages of the CL we would all be going apeshit with delight. (Not possible under current co-efficients, I know)

How many teams have actually won the CL they qualified for as champions of their domestic league in comparison to non-champions?

Anyway, 'mon the Sarajevo ........ ?:flag1:

I think the CL is all the better for the non-champions teams being in it but they should sort out the way 3rd/4th place teams from some countries have to do less to qualify than actual league winners.

Should be something like

Tier 1 (top 5 leagues) league champions and runner up - straight to Group

Tier 2 champions - Final Qual round

Everyone else go through the various qualifying rounds based on co-efficient

AlphonseCapone
47 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Well yeh it has, it's pretty sickening these days but at the same time I enjoy watching the Champions League and if it was just league champions I think it would be worse off, neither Liverpool or Tottenham would have been in the competition.

I get what you are saying but it doesn't need to be either or. Imo, if you win your league, you should get automatically through to the group stages. I wouldn't say it only has to be champions but champions in one league shouldn't have it harder than 4th in another league. If it meant increasing the number or size of groups then fine. 

Though one implication of this would be Celtic getting significant sums of money guaranteed every year which means no one ever catch them. So maybe not! 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

Disgraceful we went from being about 7 points ahead at the top of the league to not even remotely coming close to qualifying, despite only needing to finish 4th. Injuries regardless, it is disgraceful. We should be in there.

(Cup final aside.)

20 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I get what you are saying but it doesn't need to be either or. Imo, if you win your league, you should get automatically through to the group stages. I wouldn't say it only has to be champions but champions in one league shouldn't have it harder than 4th in another league. If it meant increasing the number or size of groups then fine. 

Though one implication of this would be Celtic getting significant sums of money guaranteed every year which means no one ever catch them. So maybe not! 

Tournaments not big enough AC, there's about 55 (more or less) associations in UEFA and 32 champions league spots. Now I agree with you to the extent that countries like Scotland, Greece, Holland, Norway etc should have champions go straight in. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the likes of the champions of Gibraltar, San Marino, Kosovo etc. As I say, one reason being the finite number of spots, the other main one being that there would be absolutely no competition between the likes of those smaller countries champions vs the likes of City, PSG, Barcelona etc. 

If it was done in a tiered Nations league format however where lower seeded countries champions play each other in the groups then get mixed together in the knockout rounds, I'd say that's possibly fair enough. 

Another solution could be to boost half the Asian countries that make up UEFA. Have the likes of Armenia, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan play in the AFC and you reduce the issue of not having enough spaces to accommodate all the champions 

Mr Elwood P
2 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Don’t think Celtic getting smashed 7-0 does anything for The Scottish game or the Champions League. Be better in the Europa League. 

Gorgie_Rules

UEFA only care about viewing figures to satisfy sponsors, hence why we see so many big clubs in the competition that were miles off being champions of their league.

They care more about those worldwide with no true affiliation to ‘their’ club watching on tele than they care about the fans views from big clubs in Europe that aren’t from the high viewing figure leagues. 

Sad stare of affairs which has pretty much ruined European football. We’ll unfortunately never see Hearts play in a group stage again under current format.

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

Problem partly of their own making on both the domestic and national  coefficient level.

They have shareholders to answer to tho, so thats okay! 

Got to feel for Killie fans. Thought they’d be going to somewhere nice in Europe, but will be travelling to Rhyl, a place that makes Ayrshire look exotic. 

Think rangers will get comfertably through at least 2 stages

Aberdeen and Kilmarnock the first stage, but some of the teams Killie could face are likely to knock them out and (can’t remember who off the top of my head) Aberdeen don’t have many “star” opponents, but a few who could do damage  in the second round draw (made tomorrow)

Edited by BM1874

SectionDJambo

Remember the days when your team qualified for Europe and got a tie, somewhere near to Scotland, sometimes a decent city, and in September?

Money has ruined football.

UEFA have only been interested in the top clubs in recent years. 

Never again will we see the likes of Dundee United in a European final or us in a quarter final. 

15 hours ago, Longshanks said:

I would rather Celtic had to get through 10 qualifying rounds before they get to the group stages.  

What only 10? I’d make them go through as many qualifying rounds as soon as they got punted out the two cups before Xmas 

the general
10 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I wonder what 'cause' TGFITW will adopt for their trip.

They will have to be careful across there .. some seriously hard guys who take no nonsense!!

As an aside does Mizra the Hearts fan from Sarajevo ever post on here nowadays?

Kilmarnock will play Partizan if they progress.

Hope that Kilmarnock social media 'star' behaves himself or he could be in for an absolute doing haha

CF11JamTart

Unlikely, but Cardiff Met Uni v Rangers is a possibility. 

My daughter's U9 hockey team will ensure a hostile reception on the Cyncoed astroturf.

Mr Elwood P
23 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Kilmarnock will play Partizan if they progress.

Hope that Kilmarnock social media 'star' behaves himself or he could be in for an absolute doing haha

Rangers fans in Kosovo has potential ...

Mr Elwood P
11 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Remember the days when your team qualified for Europe and got a tie, somewhere near to Scotland, sometimes a decent city, and in September?

Money has ruined football.

UEFA have only been interested in the top clubs in recent years. 

Never again will we see the likes of Dundee United in a European final or us in a quarter final. 

Dundee United will need to practice their penalties before they start thinking about European Cups again.

• 3 weeks later...

Sarajevo 1-3 Celtic

St Joseph's 0-4 Rangers

Oh well, we'll just have to wait for the next round to hope both get scudded by someone shite :lol:

On 18/06/2019 at 14:56, August Landmesser said:

b) It's tedious shite.

The answer is obvious. Brexit pretty much obliges the United Kingdom and allied territories to withdraw from EU related competitions.

The Tunnocks Tea Cake Trophy is fast becoming a beacon encompassing Wales, Northern Ireland, RoI and the GM Vauxhall Conference. The naming could be contested as nobody involved is a tea cake, but I'm just the ideas guy. 

Throw in a few other colonies and we can wave goodbye to UEFA and it's unfair ranking system which constsntly punishes Scottish teams for slip ups against pub teams.