Pans Jambo

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Home rule for Ireland, soon. I'd imagine. 

:)

I doubt that Ireland having rejected "home rule" about a century ago will embrace it now

Edited by Francis Albert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Victorian

• Cade

• maroonlegions

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I doubt that Ireland having rejected "home rule" about a century ago will embrace it now

Poorly worded, but I meant Dublin being home.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

I find it strange that the failure (of both sides) to operate the power sharing agreement in NI (at the core of the GFA) has attracted relatively  little criticism but the prospect of a camera recognition camera on the border (which is not addressed at all in the GFA) gives the crazies an excuse to start trouble. And we are supposed to surrender at once to the threats of the crazies. 

The DUP, being linked to the energy scandal/corruption, have united all sides against them. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The DUP, being linked to the energy scandal/corruption, have united all sides against them. 

Maybe but not sure about the relevance to my point.

And they obviously still have quote a few supporters in NI.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Poorly worded, but I meant Dublin being home.

Very poorly worded

Home rule has a very specific meaning in Irish political history. 

You meant independence of the whole of a united Ireland from the UK.

In an Irish context that is not a minor distinction and worth getting right.

Just as it is worth reading the terms of the GFA before spouting about breach of it (the last bit not aimed at you).

jack D and coke

They do but who else do you vote for if you’re a unionist one there, is there another option?

Francis Albert
17 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They do but who else do you vote for if you’re a unionist one there, is there another option?

There are and always have been a number of other Unionist parties.

jack D and coke
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

There are and always have been a number of other Unionist parties.

That’s the same as here. Some are unelectable though. 

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s the same as here. Some are unelectable though. 

Yes but I am not sure of your point. The fact is there is a unionist majority in NI like it or not. And indeed in Scotland ... so far at least.

Jonathan Powell just completely nailed the problems with Ireland in the context of the continuing Tory botch job of Brexit.    A man of unrivalled personal knowledge of the peace process.     

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Jonathan Powell just completely nailed the problems with Ireland in the context of the continuing Tory botch job of Brexit.    A man of unrivalled personal knowledge of the peace process.     

What did he say?

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What did he say?

Newsnight will be on the iplayer but generally spelled out why a no deal Brexit is willfully destructive of the GFA.    That there will be a 'hard' border,  regardless of what both sides say about not wanting to create one.    That the real IRA will seize on any symbols of a border to start the violence again.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Point being all parties are refusing to work with the DUP. They've united sinn fein and unionists. The only crazies are the DUP. 

Loses a by-election overnight to the LibDems.

Tories had a majority of 8,038.

Libdems took the seat with a majority of 1,425.

A swing of 12%.

Boris now only has a single seat majority in Parliament and assuming that this majority is dependent on the DUP and no Tory rebels voting against , it's even less likely for him to be able to get anything through Parliament at all.

Rumours that Frank Field, currently sitting as an Independent, may be about to join the Tories.

Field was always on the right of the Labour party and is a committed Euro-skeptic, always siding with the Tories when it came to votes on Europe.

19 minutes ago, Cade said:

Rumours that Frank Field, currently sitting as an Independent, may be about to join the Tories.

Field was always on the right of the Labour party and is a committed Euro-skeptic, always siding with the Tories when it came to votes on Europe.

Frank has announced that he's running in the next election as...............an independent.

Imagine calling a press conference to announce a status quo

:vrface:

2 hours ago, Cade said:

A swing of 12%.

Boris now only has a single seat majority in Parliament and assuming that this majority is dependent on the DUP and no Tory rebels voting against , it's even less likely for him to be able to get anything through Parliament at all.

Didnt the Welsh nationalists decide not to put a candidate forward for this? If so it would be good to see the actual number of votes as the swing is most likely from PC to lib Dems

12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Didnt the Welsh nationalists decide not to put a candidate forward for this? If so it would be good to see the actual number of votes as the swing is most likely from PC to lib Dems

I heard on the radio this morning that PC polled 3% at the last election in that constituency.

Given the LDs used to hold the seat, I’d say they took votes from Labour and moderate Tories, exploiting Tory defections to the Brexit party.

scott herbertson
24 minutes ago, Boris said:

I heard on the radio this morning that PC polled 3% at the last election in that constituency.

Given the LDs used to hold the seat, I’d say they took votes from Labour and moderate Tories, exploiting Tory defections to the Brexit party.

The Brexit Party took 10% of the vote. Tories would have retained if those had gone their way.

I'd assume if Boris called an election it would be some sort of arrangement (explicit or clandestine) with Farage which would mean they would not be in opposition in winnable seats. An election would be called on the basis of 'the only way to get Brexit through is to elect Brexit supporting MPs' and Farage would get some sweeties in return for promises from the Glib One.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 hours ago, Cade said:

A swing of 12%.

One tory is considering defecting to Lib Dem https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/tory-mp-phillip-lee-to-spend-summer-considering-lib-dem-defection-11774237

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

At the 2017 GE, Plaid Cymru got 1,299 votes, the Lib Dems won this seat last night with a 1,425 majority.

Plaid Cymru & the Greens didn't field a candidate, so as to not interfere with and therefore help the Lib Dem vote.

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

Greens and Plaid both agreed not to stand.

The strong remain parties may very well use this kind of tactical voting in any upcoming general election too.

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

The Brexit Party took 10% of the vote. Tories would have retained if those had gone their way.

I'd assume if Boris called an election it would be some sort of arrangement (explicit or clandestine) with Farage which would mean they would not be in opposition in winnable seats. An election would be called on the basis of 'the only way to get Brexit through is to elect Brexit supporting MPs' and Farage would get some sweeties in return for promises from the Glib One.

That's not right.  Farage hates politics, is a man of the people and never does anything for his own gain.

Edited by DETTY29

This twat announced £1.85bn of new money NHS funding.     The facts are that over half of it is money the regional NHS trusts have saved themselves but have to be given permission to release.

16 hours ago, Victorian said:

This twat announced £1.85bn of new money NHS funding.     The facts are that over half of it is money the regional NHS trusts have saved themselves but have to be given permission to release.

Politician in spin shock

Seymour M Hersh
17 hours ago, Cade said:

Because that's not how those orders work.

The US President does not have dictatorial power.

I think that's exactly what Executive Orders (not actions that many confuse them with) are there for. Nothing to do with being dictatorial but getting something done that will otherwise get stuck in congress. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

I think that's exactly what Executive Orders (not actions that many confuse them with) are there for. Nothing to do with being dictatorial but getting something done that will otherwise get stuck in congress. 

You can't executive order most things. The Constitution explicitly lays down the limited powers each branch of government has and goes out of its way to state no powers exist that aren't explicitly stated.

The regulation of firearms is not in the Executive (presidential) purview under times of non-emergency or war, full stop. You could argue it is during times of emergency or war, but you'd likely get a court battle if you tried, and I'm not sure which way it would go.

Partly because of the atrocious ruling in D.C. v. Heller that I talked about in the thread where this is way more on-topic of a discussion, Congress only has limited powers to regulate firearms, too--among them the interstate commerce power and the taxing power.

• 1 month later...

Time for someone to be blunt again and ask him did he have sex with the 'businesswoman'.

If so he has questions to answer and it will finish his career once and for all.....there must be an MP willing to ask him in the commons

This would kill Brexit stone dead

Boris Johnson has repeatedly refused to deny an affair with a woman he may have helped secure public funds.

When asked by reporters, the prime minister declined to discuss his relationship with former American businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri.