Heart of Midlothian....1980s.....

crichiejambos

12 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Kenny Black and Jimmy 'James' Bone in the middle. Struggling with the guys at either end. Whatever quite correct these guys made a huge contribution. 

You did better than me!

Kenny Black was the only one I got.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• pettigrewsstylist

• ArcticJambo

• Morgan

been here before
48 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Kenny Black and Jimmy 'James' Bone in the middle. Struggling with the guys at either end. Whatever quite correct these guys made a huge contribution. 

I always get Scott Leitch mixed up with someone else who I cant remember but Im going with Leith on the right.

Or the one I cant remember.

Edited by been here before

Back from the Brink is friggin awesome!

What a time it must have been. 

Galloway’s goal must have been offside in Vienna though ?

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Good memories. I started to take things in from around 84 although my first game was 79.  

A better calibre in general of homebred players from the mid 80s. Not only Hearts but there was genuinely 4,5 good teams. Aberdeen and Dundee Utd had very good sides and the OF as ever hanging around. 

You do put the rose tinted specs on for some things but it was a good time as a supporter imo. 

Of course there wasn’t always a great atmosphere at matches but it happened more often. You at least got a few songs throughout v teams like Motherwell etc...whereas now you’re lucky to hear anything unless it turns out a dramatic game v lesser clubs.  

We must be around the same age. 

Graduated from the benches to the shed around 87/88 just the fringes then moved further in and back over the next few seasons. 

My first bus trip to Europe was 92 I think to Liege what a trip! The supporters buses were wild, wouldn’t believe it now but thousands went to parkhead and Ibrox! And we won a few! Stoping in Brechin before heading to Aberdeen. Even took supporters buses to Easter Road sometimes!

We had some really shite players as well as the well remembered hero’s of the day but most players got their name sung at some point! 

I remember the supporters clubs PotY nights where the players were as pished as the fans and would chat all night. Some of the games were horrible but the day out meant more.

1 hour ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

You wouldn't recognise the other guys at either end as that's me and my mate:biggrin2:

4 minutes ago, JWL said:

You wouldn't recognise the other guys at either end as that's me and my mate:biggrin2:

:lol: 

It's funny, I always picture you (and many others on here) as looking like their avatars!

been here before
16 minutes ago, JWL said:

Is it?

Are you Scott Leitch or the boy I always get him mixed up with but cant remember who he is either?

Edited by been here before

53 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We must be around the same age. 

Graduated from the benches to the shed around 87/88 just the fringes then moved further in and back over the next few seasons. 

My first bus trip to Europe was 92 I think to Liege what a trip! The supporters buses were wild, wouldn’t believe it now but thousands went to parkhead and Ibrox! And we won a few! Stoping in Brechin before heading to Aberdeen. Even took supporters buses to Easter Road sometimes!

We had some really shite players as well as the well remembered hero’s of the day but most players got their name sung at some point! 

I remember the supporters clubs PotY nights where the players were as pished as the fans and would chat all night. Some of the games were horrible but the day out meant more.

??

2 minutes ago, been here before said:

Is it?

Are you Scott Leitch or the boy I always get him mixed up with but cant remember who he is either?

My mate Roddie is 'Scott Leitch'.......................I'm literally hanging on to Kenny Black. They told us a fair few stories of their times at Hearts back then, top blokes the pair of them.

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

You did better than me!

Thank Christ it wasn’t just me. I was about to hand in my PHM membership. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

:lol: 

It's funny, I always picture you (and many others on here) as looking like their avatars!

Really? ^_^

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Thank Christ it wasn’t just me. I was about to hand in my PHM membership. 

:rofl:

Wouldn't have got Jimmy Bone in a month of Sunday’s!

1 hour ago, been here before said:

Is it?

Could the one you can’t remember be Davie Kirkwood?

It was a game for men back then and there were no snowflakes on the terraces.

Good times.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It was a game for men back then and there were no snowflakes on the terraces.

Good times.

A lot of the same people were on the terraces. ?

Clerry Jambo
4 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Went to school with guy on the far right, don’t know if roddy is on this place - massive Jambo 

Maroon Sailor
6 hours ago, Morgan said:

You did better than me!

You didn't get Sir James Bone ?!

La guillotine pour vous mon ami

12 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Went to school with guy on the far right, don’t know if roddy is on this place - massive Jambo 

Nah, Rod doesn't come on here, he's too sensible for that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watched the 3 0 game at Tannadice yesterday morning. 

Scottish football was great in the 80s

TorinoJambo
40 minutes ago, fila said:

Best times following Hearts in the 80’s , home and away 

The seventies were crazy too but the team (with a few notable exceptions) were generally shite. The Texaco Cup games stand out in particular. I actually go back to the late sixties. 6-5 game at Tannadice had it all. The game, obviously,  but also the crazy decision to have us there and der Hun at Dens an hour later and the mayhem which I at 13 years old could barely believe. 

SectionDJambo

Despite the disappointments along the way, it was great fun following Hearts from the day that Motherwell beat us to keep us down in 1982.

The promotion the following season.

The emergence of John Robertson, the greatest goalscorer we will have in my time.

The start of 27 in a row.

The 85/86 season, despite the last 7 minutes.

Competing with a great Aberdeen and Dundee United.

3 pm Saturday kick offs

A great feeling of our club on the rise after the terrible 70s.

Wallace Mercer press conferences, which were always eagerly anticipated.

87/88 was another very good season.

Scottish football not dominated by the uglies.

I wish I could go back, sometimes.

Libertarian
On 15/06/2019 at 22:29, crichiejambos said:

I read once that in 1970s we didn't have a team no star players, a club going nowhere with no future things were grim but though at the start of the 80s we were in the old 1st division but after we established ourselves in the premier league the rest of the decade for Hearts was a different story league challengers, cup finalists plus exciting times in Europe! Question for the  the older posters what was it like watching Hearts in the 1980s? Good times......

It was fantastic seeing the club progress from no hopers languishing in the old 1st Division to title challengers. At the same time it was frustrating always being so close but never able to land a trophy. The way the club is set up nowadays with the FOH hopefully we can begin to challenge at the top within the next year or two.

Glamorgan Jambo
18 hours ago, JWL said:

Cheers. Kenny's looking in good shape considering I heard (possibly nonsense) that he'd had some health problems. Met Jimmy Bone a couple of times and he's a pretty staunch Hearts man (for someone from the west) and a very articulate and interesting guy.

40 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Despite the disappointments along the way, it was great fun following Hearts from the day that Motherwell beat us to keep us down in 1982.

The promotion the following season.

The emergence of John Robertson, the greatest goalscorer we will have in my time.

The start of 27 in a row.

The 85/86 season, despite the last 7 minutes.

Competing with a great Aberdeen and Dundee United.

3 pm Saturday kick offs

A great feeling of our club on the rise after the terrible 70s.

Wallace Mercer press conferences, which were always eagerly anticipated.

87/88 was another very good season.

Scottish football not dominated by the uglies.

I wish I could go back, sometimes.

This in spades

merseyjambo

The 80s, what a time to be alive and the best time to follow football

From bands like The Jam and Madness to psychedelic dress sense, legwarmers, Dollar jeans, the emergence of football casuals and their dress sense to rave music and going into things like The Roses. 

Riots in England, the miners strike, football casuals causing mayhem, Bradford fire disaster, Zebrugge ferry tragedy, Heysel then Hillsborough.

Getting the Evening News on a Friday night to get the time your bus was likely to leave for game, travelling on shitty trains as football specials to far flung outposts like Dundee and Dumfries

Stood with your mates in the shed singing yourself hoarse, crowd surges, fights, huge travelling supports, for a teenager there was nothing like it. 

The experience if guys like Jardine (favourite ever player) Willie J, Doddie, Chopper McLaren, George Cowie, Big Roddy, Roger Whittaker, Big Jimmy B and the emergence of Mackay, Robbo, Bowman, CL and then some astute signings Like Colquhoun and Black. Great team and fantastic fighting spirit.

The emergence of Marlborough buying Rangers put a pin in Scottish football. Up until then the period from 82-86 was probably the most competitive in all the time I’ve been going to games. The OF dominance was smashed. 

People today who didn’t live it, don’t understand how it was. Society was different, people were different. 

I love everything that went on in that decade following the club. Like everyone in was devastated by Dundee. Dropping points at shitty Clydebank twice that season. WTF. The bombscare at Motherwell, the win at Parkhead, having Pneumonia but still going to Aberdeen to see JC give us victory. That season was amazing. 

Society has changed for the better with regard tolerance but I’d love to go back to that period where the league was competitive and the OF weren’t as dominant. It’s unbelievable that it’s 34 years since they didn’t win the league. 

13 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

You didn't get Sir James Bone ?!

La guillotine pour vous mon ami

Desole.

:wink:

Back to 2005
41 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

From bands like The Jam and Madness to psychedelic dress sense, legwarmers, Dollar jeans, the emergence of football casuals and their dress sense to rave music and going into things like The Roses. 

Riots in England, the miners strike, football casuals causing mayhem, Bradford fire disaster, Zebrugge ferry tragedy, Heysel then Hillsborough.

Getting the Evening News on a Friday night to get the time your bus was likely to leave for game, travelling on shitty trains as football specials to far flung outposts like Dundee and Dumfries

Stood with your mates in the shed singing yourself hoarse, crowd surges, fights, huge travelling supports, for a teenager there was nothing like it. 

The experience if guys like Jardine (favourite ever player) Willie J, Doddie, Chopper McLaren, George Cowie, Big Roddy, Roger Whittaker, Big Jimmy B and the emergence of Mackay, Robbo, Bowman, CL and then some astute signings Like Colquhoun and Black. Great team and fantastic fighting spirit.

The emergence of Marlborough buying Rangers put a pin in Scottish football. Up until then the period from 82-86 was probably the most competitive in all the time I’ve been going to games. The OF dominance was smashed. 

People today who didn’t live it, don’t understand how it was. Society was different, people were different. 

I love everything that went on in that decade following the club. Like everyone in was devastated by Dundee. Dropping points at shitty Clydebank twice that season. WTF. The bombscare at Motherwell, the win at Parkhead, having Pneumonia but still going to Aberdeen to see JC give us victory. That season was amazing. 

Society has changed for the better with regard tolerance but I’d love to go back to that period where the league was competitive and the OF weren’t as dominant. It’s unbelievable that it’s 34 years since they didn’t win the league. 

Yup that was how I remember it. Nowadays if someone chucks a flare you would think it was World war 3! Great time to grow up.

Still remember JC scoring at the Beech end like it was yesterday. Everyone started to believe that day.

Robbo-Jambo
3 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Well summed up

Good post.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 16/06/2019 at 15:02, jambonian said:

Ha-ha, my mate had a maroon Capri as well. Used to go to as many games as we could. The Tynecastle buses were great and I remember seeing all the supporters buses from various places heading to games. Was also good when you came up against other clubs' supporters buses on the motorways going to their game, the banging on windows, sticking fingers up and singing at them and sometimes they got mooned at. They were the same to our buses as well. Best one was...a referee called Brian McGinlay was rumoured to be going to strip/fetish clubs, that sort of stuff and, I remember a supporters bus heading up to Tannadice had a board at the  back window calling themselves the "Brian McGinlay's leather & whip club". All the buses had the name of their supporters club on flags, boards, whatever. Going to away games were usually more of a laugh than some of the home games.

Fame at last, I made that sign at work the Friday before the game. It was at the back of the Blackburn/Whitburn bus.....think someone launched it out a skylight on the M90 on the way home.

17 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Fame at last, I made that sign at work the Friday before the game. It was at the back of the Blackburn/Whitburn bus.....think someone launched it out a skylight on the M90 on the way home.

Ha-ha! I mind it well! Gave everyone a good laugh, could've caused a pile up though wi the amount of folk laughing at it. Thankfully it didn't. lol

On 17/06/2019 at 12:57, merseyjambo said:

Great post mate. 

Everything intertwined made it a great decade.  

2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Great post mate. 

Everything intertwined made it a great decade.  

Football aside, the only reason it isn’t the worst decade I’ve had to live in, is because I was only born with six months of the Seventies to go. The Eighties was the shittest, tackiest more superficial embarrassment of a decade going. New Romantics, Tories, strikes, terrorism, horrendous pop music, and horrific fashion.

Some decent alternative stuff kicking about at the time, but most of it didn’t make a breakthrough to the mainstream until the early nineties.

pettigrewsstylist
On 17/06/2019 at 09:09, Sir Gio said:

Watched the 3 0 game at Tannadice yesterday morning. 

Scottish football was great in the 80s

The day we won the league and it was over in my mind :(

The White Cockade
8 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

The day we won the league and it was over in my mind :(

we all thought that

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, The White Cockade said:

we all thought that

Still got my stub. Was convinced it would be worth big money by now. I was 16  yrs old lol

The White Cockade
Just now, pettigrewsstylist said:

Still got my stub. Was convinced it would be worth big money by now. I was 16  yrs old lol

after the whistle blew we all celebrated like the league was one

it seemed like it was

i've put Dens Park out of my mind for a while and don't fancy thinking about that day again

pettigrewsstylist
On 17/06/2019 at 16:42, Robbo-Jambo said:

Well summed up

Good post.

Anyone mind the collapsed wall at Brechin?? Lucky day !!

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Football aside, the only reason it isn’t the worst decade I’ve had to live in, is because I was only born with six months of the Seventies to go. The Eighties was the shittest, tackiest more superficial embarrassment of a decade going. New Romantics, Tories, strikes, terrorism, horrendous pop music, and horrific fashion.

Some decent alternative stuff kicking about at the time, but most of it didn’t make a breakthrough to the mainstream until the early nineties.

In your opinion, obviously. 

Every decade had its problems. Every decade had its good stuff. 

Alot is down to personal memories and feelings of a time. Everyone will be different to how they view it. ....Throw in the sense of community from that time and it was even better. It doesn’t exist now. 

Too much to go into. Collectively great memories for me. The music was at a height. Plenty cheese admittedly but all the different genres came together at once in the 80s.  A decade is a long time. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

But, as you were a child throughout the 80s you are applying your current adult mindset to the decade. All that stuff you listed happened but it didn’t dominate your life in the way Brexit is now (and because, as kids and teenagers, we just didn’t dwell on it)

Its like me saying the 70’s was all 3-day weeks and flares when it was so much more to different people. 

Speaking of music: The Smiths and New Order were 80’s and The Clash we’re still great. I can’t think of any band in the 2010’s to come close to them. Not many in the 70’s, 90’s or 00’s either 

merseyjambo
23 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

In your opinion, obviously. 

Every decade had its problems. Every decade had its good stuff. 

Alot is down to personal memories and feelings of a time. Everyone will be different to how they view it. ....Throw in the sense of community from that time and it was even better. It doesn’t exist now. 

Too much to go into. Collectively great memories for me. The music was at a height. Plenty cheese admittedly but all the different genres came together at once in the 80s.  A decade is a long time. 

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese every now and then. 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

But, as you were a child throughout the 80s you are applying your current adult mindset to the decade. All that stuff you listed happened but it didn’t dominate your life in the way Brexit is now (and because, as kids and teenagers, we just didn’t dwell on it)

Its like me saying the 70’s was all 3-day weeks and flares when it was so much more to different people. 

Speaking of music: The Smiths and New Order were 80’s and The Clash we’re still great. I can’t think of any band in the 2010’s to come close to them. Not many in the 70’s, 90’s or 00’s either 

The Jam were still going early 80s, The Clash, The Specials. Some top bands. End of 80s was when bands like Oasis and Roses formed. In the middle you had the rave scene.

Only if you were a teen/young adult in that decade will you realise how good it actually was.

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

As opposed to the Tories, terrorism, shit music and horrific fashion of this decade. You’ll look at the 90s and think that the music and fashion from that era was the business. 

Doddies Hearts were my favourite all around team. They might not have won a trophy but they played with zero fear

24 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese every now and then. 

The Jam were still going early 80s, The Clash, The Specials. Some top bands. End of 80s was when bands like Oasis and Roses formed. In the middle you had the rave scene.

Only if you were a teen/young adult in that decade will you realise how good it actually was.

As opposed to the Tories, terrorism, shit music and horrific fashion of this decade. You’ll look at the 90s and think that the music and fashion from that era was the business. 

Doddies Hearts were my favourite all around team. They might not have won a trophy but they played with zero fear

Yeah, nineties every time for me. This decade is a total shanner, mainly because it’s recycled 80s shite. ?

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

True.  I think every decade lingers into the early years of the following one. 

The early 90s still felt a bit 80s until around 93. You could feel and sense the change coming towards its own identity.  I was 18 in 92 but I never got into the music coming through at that time. Just didn’t have the same creativity or struck a chord with me. 

I liked dance music throughout the 90s, I wasn’t totally stuck in the 80s ? but in respect of bands my taste was from then and before. 

How many any bands from the 90s will be playing gigs or going on tour 40 years after they started?  Plenty still doing it from the 70s and 80s. 

1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yeah, nineties every time for me. This decade is a total shanner, mainly because it’s recycled 80s shite. ?

Was thinking. If you were born in 79 would you really remember much of the 80s and really grasp what it felt like?  

You’d be starting primary around 84. I may be wrong but I doubt many people are taking things in at 4,5 years old.  And you’re only 10 come the end of the decade.  

Even in my own case I was only 10 in 84 and probably only started to take things in properly and comprehend what life was like around me.  I do think some of our reminiscing is influenced in part by looking back at old tv programmes, footage and hearing other people’s take on things , as much as our own memories , but you do need to be of an age imo.  

The curious thing I always find though, is people born late 60s often say the 80s is most memorable as they were in their teenage prime. Then you have my generation who were quite young but were equally fond of the time.  

34 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Was thinking. If you were born in 79 would you really remember much of the 80s and really grasp what it felt like?  

You’d be starting primary around 84. I may be wrong but I doubt many people are taking things in at 4,5 years old.  And you’re only 10 come the end of the decade.  

Even in my own case I was only 10 in 84 and probably only started to take things in properly and comprehend what life was like around me.  I do think some of our reminiscing is influenced in part by looking back at old tv programmes, footage and hearing other people’s take on things , as much as our own memories , but you do need to be of an age imo.  

The curious thing I always find though, is people born late 60s often say the 80s is most memorable as they were in their teenage prime. Then you have my generation who were quite young but were equally fond of the time.  

It probably does have a lot to do with my age, yes. I remember a lot of double breasted suits with shoulder pads, blokes wearing skinny jeans (an abomination that has returned sadly), an entire decade of the Tories, including Thatcher, glue sniffers. News stories about AIDS, casual racism everywhere, New Romantics, hairspray and shit perms (that was just the blokes!), beige TV studio sets ... all kinds of grim stuff like that. Then I remember the decade changing and everything just feeling brighter and happier. Probably something psychological involved, who knows. Just not a big of the decade.