Heart of Midlothian....1980s.....

crichiejambos

On 16/06/2019 at 11:59, JWL said:

Met these guys in Magaluf a few weeks ago. Contributed a hell of a lot to Hearts in the 1980's.

80's Legends.jpg

"He's fat,  he's round,  he bounces off the ground -  Jimmy Bone! "

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• pettigrewsstylist

• ArcticJambo

• Debut 4

SectionDJambo

Jimmy Bone’s contribution to Hearts can never be disregarded. He taught  John Robertson so much and was one of the “Dad’s Army” who gave us our pride and respect back after years of mediocrity.

Willie Johnston, Stuart McLaren, Sandy Jardine, Alex MacDonald,  and Jimmy Bone won’t be forgotten to my generation of Hearts fans. Probably others I’ve forgotten temporarily.

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It probably does have a lot to do with my age, yes. I remember a lot of double breasted suits with shoulder pads, blokes wearing skinny jeans (an abomination that has returned sadly), an entire decade of the Tories, including Thatcher, glue sniffers. News stories about AIDS, casual racism everywhere, New Romantics, hairspray and shit perms (that was just the blokes!), beige TV studio sets ... all kinds of grim stuff like that. Then I remember the decade changing and everything just feeling brighter and happier. Probably something psychological involved, who knows. Just not a big of the decade. 

Doubt you were that bothered by double-breasted suits and skinny jeans when your were 5 years old 

I also doubt you knew what a Tory was (and especially what they stood for) for the majority of the decade, if at all. 

This is teetering into Shed stuff. Suffice to say, following Hearts in the 80’s was a marvellous thing at times and so much more memorable than anything since. But that is definitely an age thing as it coincided with my teenage years. 

been here before
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Doubt you were that bothered by double-breasted suits and skinny jeans when your were 5 years old 

I also doubt you knew what a Tory was (and especially what they stood for) for the majority of the decade, if at all. 

To be fair I've an 8 yo and a 4 yo and they're both constantly whining on about Brexit, skinny jeans and the Tory leadership contest.

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese every now and then. 

The Jam were still going early 80s, The Clash, The Specials. Some top bands. End of 80s was when bands like Oasis and Roses formed. In the middle you had the rave scene.

Only if you were a teen/young adult in that decade will you realise how good it actually was.

As opposed to the Tories, terrorism, shit music and horrific fashion of this decade. You’ll look at the 90s and think that the music and fashion from that era was the business. 

Doddies Hearts were my favourite all around team. They might not have won a trophy but they played with zero fear

Zico Kidd terrorised teams ?

pettigrewsstylist
4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

Jimmy Bone’s contribution to Hearts can never be disregarded. He taught  John Robertson so much and was one of the “Dad’s Army” who gave us our pride and respect back after years of mediocrity.

Willie Johnston, Stuart McLaren, Sandy Jardine, Alex MacDonald,  and Jimmy Bone won’t be forgotten to my generation of Hearts fans. Probably others I’ve forgotten temporarily.

Stayed in the air, for a week, like a salmon, to score the 5th ?

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

This is teetering into Shed stuff. Suffice to say, following Hearts in the 80’s was a marvellous thing at times and so much more memorable than anything since. But that is definitely an age thing as it coincided with my teenage years. 

Crikey! Sorry if you are personally offended by me slagging off your favourite decade and your style, Nookie. :(

Those turn-up jeans and piano ties look really good on you mate. :thumbsup:

Robbo-Jambo

The music has been pish since the late seventies and early eighties apart from maybe Blur and Oasis.

The number of teenagers/youngsters that listen to that older brilliant era of music nowadays is huge.

Check out tribute bands for The Jam and The Clash etc. and the age groups are very variable with many youngsters there that know all the songs.

Great time to have grown up in every way IMO.

Edited by Robbo-Jambo

1 hour ago, ArcticJambo said:

^^ Raging he missed out!  :greggy:

The eighties were :sweeet:

I just remember the utter guff music that was around and the depressing fashions etc. I was a kid though to be fair, so maybe it was a right good caper if you were late teens or twenties. I know the nineties were for me. :D

ArcticJambo
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I just remember the utter guff music that was around and the depressing fashions etc. I was a kid though to be fair, so maybe it was a right good caper if you were late teens or twenties. I know the nineties were for me. :D

Ohh, the first half of the nineties were pretty good too.  :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Ohh, the first half of the nineties were pretty good too.  :thumbsup:

:D

Whole decade for me pretty much. Loved the early nineties music, and listened to a lot of it throughout that decade and beyond. I inherited two huge collections of vinyl when I was about 12 (91/92) lots of acid house and early rave music. Managed to get hold of some decent turntables and a mixer a couple of years later, and started buying lots of house music from early nineties onwards.

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

Hectormasson
On 17/06/2019 at 12:57, merseyjambo said:

The 80s, what a time to be alive and the best time to follow football

From bands like The Jam and Madness to psychedelic dress sense, legwarmers, Dollar jeans, the emergence of football casuals and their dress sense to rave music and going into things like The Roses. 

Riots in England, the miners strike, football casuals causing mayhem, Bradford fire disaster, Zebrugge ferry tragedy, Heysel then Hillsborough.

Getting the Evening News on a Friday night to get the time your bus was likely to leave for game, travelling on shitty trains as football specials to far flung outposts like Dundee and Dumfries

Stood with your mates in the shed singing yourself hoarse, crowd surges, fights, huge travelling supports, for a teenager there was nothing like it. 

The experience if guys like Jardine (favourite ever player) Willie J, Doddie, Chopper McLaren, George Cowie, Big Roddy, Roger Whittaker, Big Jimmy B and the emergence of Mackay, Robbo, Bowman, CL and then some astute signings Like Colquhoun and Black. Great team and fantastic fighting spirit.

The emergence of Marlborough buying Rangers put a pin in Scottish football. Up until then the period from 82-86 was probably the most competitive in all the time I’ve been going to games. The OF dominance was smashed. 

People today who didn’t live it, don’t understand how it was. Society was different, people were different. 

I love everything that went on in that decade following the club. Like everyone in was devastated by Dundee. Dropping points at shitty Clydebank twice that season. WTF. The bombscare at Motherwell, the win at Parkhead, having Pneumonia but still going to Aberdeen to see JC give us victory. That season was amazing. 

Society has changed for the better with regard tolerance but I’d love to go back to that period where the league was competitive and the OF weren’t as dominant. It’s unbelievable that it’s 34 years since they didn’t win the league. 

Couldn't have put it better myself m8," people were different , correct,,,,,80s was great era for football, hearts,,,the atmosphere ,,infact everything about it ....??????????????

On 15/06/2019 at 22:55, cb1874 said:

Just watch “Back from the brink”...says a lot about following Hearts in the 80’s

“I’ll see you on the highways & byways”.