• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• portobellojambo1

• busby1985

• Jammy T

Not now there wont be...

£2 car parking charge at Gullane beach noo!

Bloody Tory coocilurz :raging:

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I have 'done' the Gullane sand dunes when I was a young man. 

Murder Hill to be exact. From the bottom it actually looked pretty innocuous. 

Then when you actually run up it you know where it got it's name. We used to do it a number of times in one session. 

Haven't been on the beach there for years. I wonder if it has changed over the years.

Anyone else on here done it ? 

Done it years ago and like you say it's brutal 

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Then when you actually run up it you know where it got it's name. We used to do it a number of times in one session. 

Haven't been on the beach there for years. I wonder if it has changed over the years.

Yup. Spewed.

132goals1958

Maybe it was a result of being brought up in P/ Pans but it was the proverbial walk in the park. Always seemed to be a frightening prospect for the toonies.??

Heartsofgold
21 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Spewed my guts out many a time running up and down that ****er in my younger years. 

27 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Jock Wallace.

Just now, jonnothejambo said:

Aye. A hard man to please, no doubt.

Worked though, didn’t it?

How are you btw?

Im sure the wild Hippy has sourced a better preseason venue. 

Running the dunes didn't work last season.

38 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Maybe it was a result of being brought up in P/ Pans but it was the proverbial walk in the park. Always seemed to be a frightening prospect for the toonies.??

My condolences :lol:

6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Fine mon ami. Heading down to Yorkshire for a few days so won't be on here too much. 

Hope you are both well.

Aye, no’ bad.

Have fun J

1 hour ago, Section Q said:

Are they on the agenda for pre season...?

Worried in case Vanecek pegs it....!

Did we not have the same problem with Amankwaa last year? Throwing up all over the place iirc

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

Not this toonie ? 

46 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

All the players said it was a bitch but a great workout and brought the squad together. I don't see them skipping it this year. 

Being sick during pre season training sessions is traditional. 

Is this still a thing?

do the top top players still need to do this?

Went to see Hearts there once when we were young and fit.  After they had finished we tried it.  Roasting hot day.  Utter torture.  Just couldn't do it.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

My condolences :lol:

For what? Breathing fresh air growing up?

2 hours ago, Artful Dodger said:

I think doing them just once seemed pretty pointless to be honest. 

If Levein takes them there this year then he'll be exposing the squad to potential unnecessary injuries. It's modern football and that's archaic. 

If they don't go then that's what's wrong with the squad and our pre-season, therefore Levein out. 

Take your pick!

132goals1958
8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

For what? Breathing fresh air growing up?

You tell them mate. Some of them should pay a weekend visit and enhance their experience of cultural heritage ?

12 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

I done it one pre season when I played in the east of Scotland league around 27/28 years ago. Once was enough. 

The first time you look at it from the bottom, it doesn’t seem too undaunted. You soon realise half way up how hard it is. Pumping your legs as the sand falls away and you just don’t seem to be making much progress or getting anywhere. 

Lets just say the seagulls had a good banquet that day once we left ?

Edited by Saughton Jambo

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Section Q said:

Heard there was seen down there last week with a rake flattening them all out

Serge McMurto

When the fire service still had it's training facilities at Gullane we were made to run from the training school to the dunes and up and down murder Hill. 

Never been so fit and 30 years on never likely to be again! 

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

You tell them mate. Some of them should pay a weekend visit and enhance their experience of cultural heritage ?

Whether to run the gauntlet at 'murder hill' or visit the Pans Labour Club...... 

132goals1958
20 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Whether to run the gauntlet at 'murder hill' or visit the Pans Labour Club...... 

:naughty::cool:

It's why Naisy hasn't signed yet. 

Skived off it last year as well. 

14 hours ago, Section Q said:

JJ and BB used to take the lads there. 

jamboinglasgow

I think the way they used Gullane last year was the best. While it was used for fitness in the past with sports science pre-season training is completely different but Gullane is character and team building. The amount of players last season who said they felt they could do anything as a team after they faced that and later when we were on our fantastic streak talked about how they gave them the belief that they could fight through games as it is not as tough as that day.

Bridge of Djoum

Andrea Pirlo: "Football is played with the head. Your feet are just tools."

In this case, wouldn't increasingly difficult Sudoku and word puzzles be more beneficial?

17 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yup thinking of doing it again this year .

Just like I thought of doing it last year 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Balmedie is the Aberdeen version. 

One wag hired a bus, got his team to change on the bus. Leaving of course all valuables on board,  before the time of phones in any case.

The nervous lads lined up on the dunes awaiting their pending doom. Manager doesn't appear. Car park is checked only to discover the bus has headed back to the South side of Aberdeen over 10 miles away. 

Moral of the story. Maybe the dunes aren't so bad after all. 

We can’t seriously be considering taking the squad here again. A ridiculous season of injuries off the back of it and the team looked ridiculously unfit by about October. Such a backwards approach to pre season and massively out dated. I’d prefer we worked on shape, formations and fitness with the ball. 

14 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

We can’t seriously be considering taking the squad here again. A ridiculous season of injuries off the back of it and the team looked ridiculously unfit by about October. Such a backwards approach to pre season and massively out dated. I’d prefer we worked on shape, formations and fitness with the ball. 

If thats the case why weren't Jock Wallace 's Rangers teams and JJs Hearts teams riddled with injuries and unfit by October ?

Or is it just that footballers are soft nowadays ?

41 minutes ago, luckydug said:

If thats the case why weren't Jock Wallace 's Rangers teams and JJs Hearts teams riddled with injuries and unfit by October ?

Footballs moved on, the sides you are talking about played 20 years ago, even longer with jock Wallace. The games quicker, the pitches harder, faster, the impact on the body greater than its ever been, even at SPFL level. I’d be shocked to see us return to the dunes after the injuries we had last season. 

Tenaciousdandy
19 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

lived in Gullane for a number of years, done it a couple of times, couldn't do it now tho, the kids ran (well crawled up it a few times) and seen who could roll down the quickest lol

jamboinglasgow
6 hours ago, busby1985 said:

So 1 training session in pre-season is responsible for our injuries and fitness?

Phil D. Corners

I quite like the tradition of Hearts going to Gullen. 

It’s just one training session, and mini away day. 

andythejambo
On 15/06/2019 at 21:19, jonnothejambo said:

Aye....we used to have to run up and 'tag' one of the coaches, who was at the top, then back down, tag the coach at the bottom, and back up again. Got to the bottom second time and chortled !! Was exhausted at the end of the session. We then went to Bissets to "recover" ??

On 16/06/2019 at 14:49, busby1985 said:

Ian Cathro's approach 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ian Cathro's approach 

And pep’s, Klopp etc etc don’t seem to have done too bad. ?

We_are_the_Hearts

Sand dunes is dinosaur approach. Hope after last seasons horrendous injury list and the way our players looked laboured for large parts that we are looking at something different this pre-season.

1 minute ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Sand dunes is dinosaur approach. Hope after last seasons horrendous injury list and the way our players looked laboured for large parts that we are looking at something different this pre-season.

Don't think there's anything wrong with a 'dinosaur' approach to pre season fitness

On 16/06/2019 at 15:06, luckydug said:

Modern day footballers are soft. Too wrapped up in cotton wool imo.

Edited by Marvin