Referee steps down for bigoted posts

Spellczech

5 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I agree. But you assume the GFA want a level playinf field.

It’s up to the other clubs to hike up the pressure. What’s gone on over the past decade or so just cannot continue. I doubt that this situation happens anywhere else in Europe.

i wish jj was my dad

I agree Deevers. We might cut our own throat but I'd like to see Ann and Craig call them out for what they are.

7 hours ago, Spellczech said:

It says in the headline "Sectarian, discriminatory and homophobic" - do you really need to see the actual words?

In fairness to all, yes you do.

1 hour ago, Thaw said:

I understand why this might be a tempting idea, but it just doesn't work in practice. Referees having to either emigrate or spend two extra days away from their families and main job? Needing to speak two or three languages? Scots never being allowed to referee at Hampden, English referees at Wembley, etc? Full-time refs for part-time leagues and vice versa? Or are all refs from France to the Faroe Islands going to be professional?

Not to mention that the majority of fans will complain for evermore that "referees from _____ just don't understand the Scottish game" ...

What I'm suggesting has never been tried before, so its absolutely untrue to suggest it doesn't work in practice. 

I'm arguing that the current system where each association has their own referees is binned in favour of centralising them (so they are UEFA employees not SFA, FA, etc) and using a small portion of TV money to ensure that they are compensated properly. It should be treated as a full time position irrespective of where the referees officiate. I'm describing an ideal, but essentially they would be sent to a league for a year and moved on again (or whatever works in practise most effectively).

For context, 1% or even less from every nation within UEFA would more than cover the fees to allow referees to become professionals. Indeed, being away from family is just as much an issue for footballers and other sportspeople. I'd suggest under that system if they don't like it, they referee at an amateur level instead or enjoy the game from the stands. There absolutely will be a massive pool to draw from, especially if the money on offer exceeds what you might expect to make at a 'normal job'. I'd argue it might actually even help develop poorer nations referees, Spanish refs wouldn't automatically get jobs in La Liga for simply having the fortunate luck to be born in Spain, Estonians, Bulgarians, Cypriots could all referee at a professional level which they have earned through their own ability rather than nationality. 

With all the money being put into a central pot this reduces the burden on poor leagues and ensures that referees can be compensated equally. (Perhaps based on experience salary can go up? Details that could be worked out along the way)

Regarding language, this is another non-issue. Most speak English, and if they don't I'm sure a short course in whatever country their based in to get a handle on the language wouldn't be a massive stretch. 

Edited by OTT

The White Cockade
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

What I'm suggesting has never been tried before, so its absolutely untrue to suggest it doesn't work in practice. 

I'm arguing that the current system where each association has their own referees is binned in favour of centralising them (so they are UEFA employees not SFA, FA, etc) and using a small portion of TV money to ensure that they are compensated properly. It should be treated as a full time position irrespective of where the referees officiate. I'm describing an ideal, but essentially they would be sent to a league for a year and moved on again (or whatever works in practise most effectively).

For context, 1% or even less from every nation within UEFA would more than cover the fees to allow referees to become professionals. Indeed, being away from family is just as much an issue for footballers and other sportspeople. I'd suggest under that system if they don't like it, they referee at an amateur level instead or enjoy the game from the stands. There absolutely will be a massive pool to draw from, especially if the money on offer exceeds what you might expect to make at a 'normal job'. I'd argue it might actually even help develop poorer nations referees, Spanish refs wouldn't automatically get jobs in La Liga for simply having the fortunate luck to be born in Spain, Estonians, Bulgarians, Cypriots could all referee at a professional level which they have earned through their own ability rather than nationality. 

With all the money being put into a central pot this reduces the burden on poor leagues and ensures that referees can be compensated equally. (Perhaps based on experience salary can go up? Details that could be worked out along the way)

Regarding language, this is another non-issue. Most speak English, and if they don't I'm sure a short course in whatever country their based in to get a handle on the language wouldn't be a massive stretch. 

Never going to happen mate

8 minutes ago, stan said:

In fairness to all, yes you do.

Fairness to whom? The guy who offered to resign in 2014 and has resigned in 2019? Or to the SFA? I've never heard of sectarian bigotted homophobic comments that are acceptable - Perhaps you can you give us an example of such a comment, just so that we know where you stand? 

Just now, The White Cockade said:

Never going to happen mate

It should. The amount of money in the game now has moved beyond being able to trust what are frankly part timers. Millions in prize money shouldn't be reliant on wee John thats got work on Monday worrying if his mates are going to get on at him for not giving a penalty. 

Its a great idea and should be something that should be looked at. I'm surprised it isn't, because thats an excuse for UEFA to pay themselves to open more committees and suck more money out the game :D

SpruceBringsteen

I was getting bored of hearing from the club that's won 49% of honours in Scottish football history that there's a (****ing ineffective apparently) countrywide conspiracy against them, so it's good I can now hear from the club that's won 48% of them.

3 hours ago, graygo said:

Good post but it started way before Dallas.

It started at the very beginning. We know this as they tried to lay down their law to us when we wanted to play Hibs all those many moons ago. They had to capitulate after we forced their hand. It is still the same organisation. They prove this time and time again with their backwards views on everything.

36 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Fairness to whom? The guy who offered to resign in 2014 and has resigned in 2019? Or to the SFA? I've never heard of sectarian bigotted homophobic comments that are acceptable - Perhaps you can you give us an example of such a comment, just so that we know where you stand? 

My interest is In fairness to all involved in his comments, Neil Lennon et al, whoever they may be. I happen to think transparency is important.

I'm intrigued as to why you think his actual words should remain hidden.

And you really shouldn't jump to conclusions about why others may disagree with your way of thinking. 

Just now, stan said:

My interest is In fairness to all involved in his comments, Neil Lennon et al, whoever they may be. I happen to think transparency is important.

I'm intrigued as to why you think his actual words should remain hidden.

And you really shouldn't jump to conclusions about why others may disagree with your way of thinking. 

I haven't jumped to any conclustions. Unlike you I don't need to know exactly what was said if the comments were sectarian bigotted and homophobic, he admitted that they were such and has resigned. Since we don't know what he said, I merely sought transparency, but from you, as to what kind of sectarian bigotted homophobic comment could ever be deemed acceptable...?

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I haven't jumped to any conclustions. Unlike you I don't need to know exactly what was said if the comments were sectarian bigotted and homophobic, he admitted that they were such and has resigned. Since we don't know what he said, I merely sought transparency, but from you, as to what kind of sectarian bigotted homophobic comment could ever be deemed acceptable...?

I haven't claimed any are, nor would I so I'm unsure why you'd even ask that. 

I merely disagree with your argument that his comments should remain hidden.

14 minutes ago, stan said:

When have I said they should remain hidden? I've merely said that we don't need to know them as it has been said what the nature of them was.

3 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

When have I said they should remain hidden? I've merely said that we don't need to know them as it has been said what the nature of them was.

I've made my views clear. Rather than bore everyone  else by going round in circles, I'll wish you good evening.

5 hours ago, OTT said:

A lot of common sense and fairness in there which is why it almost certainly won't happen.

In how many other countries would there be a demand for foreign referees, especially the 'big 5' leagues which have the most power within UEFA? (Can anyone who lives or has lived abroad comment?)

Edited by Thaw

12 hours ago, stan said:

I too would be curious to see exactly what the comments were, but the fact he's appealing to personal circumstances and having changed "unrecognisably" (which seems a stretch), rather than having been misunderstood or taken out of context, suggests they were fairly damning.