Should horse racing be banned?

Francis Albert

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

That's Prozac. I had to google why they were giving it to horses.

American horse racing is rife with it. They’re pumping drugs in to race horses as young as 2 years old, no wonder the death toll within their sport is so high.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'd quite like to scran a horse. Anyone tried horse meat?

Me.

Its actually fine and tastes just like a reasonably good steak.

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Me.

Its actually fine and tastes just like a reasonably good steak.

You’re eating it in France. In my experience over there, the fekn thing could still have run in The Derby

19 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

You’re eating it in France. In my experience over there, the fekn thing could still have run in The Derby

I know what you mean.

It was blue and still had a pulse.

luckyBatistuta
18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I know what you mean.

It was blue and still had a pulse.

Don’t mind a bit blood, but some of the stuff we’ve been served? If the thing was still alive, it would soon drown in the large pool of blood it was swimming in.

Francis Albert

Started this thread the day after an enjoyable and rare if not unique profitable betting day at Santa Anita. I enjoy a few days a year at the races, jumps as well as flat like Santa Anita. I refuse to feel guilty about that.

As said in the OP there is something disproportionate about the coverage of the deaths of a few horses. The LA Times has had numerous front page reports and much analysis of the 29 (as of this weekend 30) horses killed at Santa Anita in 7 months when many many more Angelenos have been murdered in the same period. (It is worth noting that  there are three or four meetings every week during the Santa Anita season).Most of thevictims of American gun culture "didn't ask for it" either. The discovery of the dead bodies of a young mother and three toddlers yesterday near the Mexican border got one sentence on the Times front page.

The threat to ban racing seems to me disproportionate. Yes, use of drugs, over-racing, track conditions, trainer and jockey behaviour (a leading trainer was banned in California last week) and medical supervision should all be reviewed and reforms made. But horses will always die even if not participating in competitive sport. Of course they "don't ask to do it" but then no-one is asking them whether it should be banned either. If banned, thoroughbreds would cease to exist - the idea that they would survive as "show horses" or "pets" (!) is ludicrous.

If I believed in reincarnation I can't think of many animals' lives I would prefer to being a racehorse.

Edited by Francis Albert

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Started this thread the day after an enjoyable and rare if not unique profitable betting day at Santa Anita. I enjoy a few days a year at the races, jumps as well as flat like Santa Anita. I refuse to feel guilty about that.

As said in the OP there is something disproportionate about the coverage of the deaths of a few horses. The LA Times has had numerous front page reports and much analysis of the 29 (as of this weekend 30) horses killed at Santa Anita in 7 months when many many more Angelenos have been murdered in the same period. (It is worth noting that  there are three or four meetings every week during the Santa Anita season).Most of thevictims of American gun culture "didn't ask for it" either. The discovery of the dead bodies of a young mother and three toddlers yesterday near the Mexican border got one sentence on the Times front page.

The threat to ban racing seems to me disproportionate. Yes, use of drugs, over-racing, track conditions, trainer and jockey behaviour (a leading trainer was banned in California last week) and medical supervision should all be reviewed and reforms made. But horses will always die even if not participating in competitive sport. Of course they "don't ask to do it" but then no-one is asking them whether it should be banned either. If banned, thoroughbreds would cease to exist - the idea that they would survive as "show horses" or "pets" (!) is ludicrous.

If I believed in reincarnation I can't think of many animals' lives I would prefer to being a racehorse.

Most of these race horses are well cared for, apart from when they pump them full of drugs. Like yourself, I don’t want to see horse racing banned, but they do need to address certain glaring issues in the sport, especially in the U.S.A

20 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Jump racing should be banned. Flat racing not so much

Just ban flat racing a bit, aye?

4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Just ban flat racing a bit, aye?

Just make them safe(as possible) that's all. 

Edited by ri Alban

On 26/06/2019 at 02:08, luckyBatistuta said:

Most of these race horses are well cared for, apart from when they pump them full of drugs. Like yourself, I don’t want to see horse racing banned, but they do need to address certain glaring issues in the sport, especially in the U.S.A

Greyhounds are treated appallingly. Shameful!

luckyBatistuta
10 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Greyhounds are treated appallingly. Shameful!

I know absolutely nothing about greyhound racing bud, but I can believe that, as I wouldn’t imagine there is anywhere near the amount of money floating around there, as there is in horse racing.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Of course it should be banned. A terribly cruel thing to do an animal.

Animals get injured or killed, just to satisfy gambling addicts. 

2 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I know absolutely nothing about greyhound racing bud, but I can believe that, as I wouldn’t imagine there is anywhere near the amount of money floating around there, as there is in horse racing.

They just bin them, after their use. 

luckyBatistuta
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

They just bin them, after their use. 

That’s disgusting.

On 15/06/2019 at 13:43, Maple Leaf said:

Seems absurd, right?

I agree, but the good news is that things are changing. People generally are becoming more aware of animal cruelty. For example, In the last week, Canada has banned companies from exploiting seals, dolphins, and orcas for so-called entertainment purposes. And circuses in many countries are phasing out the use of elephants and big cats.

That's mainly because it's becoming harder to find any :)