Should horse racing be banned?

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

In California there is a growing movement from animal rights activists and indeed a local senator to ban horse racing on the back of 29 horses dying at Santa Anita ( incidentally probably the most beautiful race course in the world) in the current 7 or 8 month season. American priorities? How many more times as many humans in the LA area will have died from gunshots in the same period.

Jambos_1874

As it is "ra ing" in the thread title I automatically mentally filled the blank with a "p". The answer to that question is a definitive yes.

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

As it is "ra ing" in the thread title I automatically mentally filled the blank with a "p". The answer to that question is a definitive yes.

Horse raping? An easy mistake to make???

Racing of course. Sorry for the typo.

jamtartan74

Franny A on the bevi? Horse ra ing, could use several letters to fill in the blanks there, mental image of a horse raving to ultrasonic or similar ?. Sorry Franny A not too fussed if they are banned from racing or not, it is a reasonable question though which I’m sure others will respond to. 

Edited by jamtartan74

Francis Albert
15 minutes ago, jamtartan74 said:

Franny A on the bevi? Horse ra ing, could use several letters to fill in the blanks there, mental image of a horse raving to ultrasonic or similar ?. Sorry Franny A not too fussed if they are banned from racing or not, it is a reasonable question though which I’m sure others will respond to. 

For you a simple typo on my phone is a bigger issue. Fair enough.

If they don't make the fence heights safe, I'd ban national hunt racing. On the other hand furniture wouldn't be the same.

First guns, now horses, are big hats next? :cowboy:

As ri Alban says, maybe they need to do something about the hurdles.

42 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

First guns, now horses, are big hats next? :cowboy:

As ri Alban says, maybe they need to do something about the hurdles.

Santa Anita is flat racing...

11 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

Santa Anita is flat racing...

For Santa Anita, the stalls should be removed. But the Grand National fences are a disgrace.

Horse steak is rather tasty so if it leads to a cheaper price and better availability then I'm all for banning it.

In a few years time are we going to be able to do  anything without someone wanting it banned? Yeah its a shame they sometimes die but they are looked after better than most humans whilst they are a live. 

Just needs better regulation.

Not only for the animal welfare point of view, but for the race fixing and other shenanigans standpoint.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

For Santa Anita, the stalls should be removed. But the Grand National fences are a disgrace.

They've made significant changes to them over recent years which meant this year's race was the first in 5 years there had been any deaths.

1 hour ago, mutley said:

If they banned racing wouldn’t they just put down all the race horses and stop breeding more

Much the same would happen if we all turned vegetarian. Who, for example, would breed and care for pigs? 

They and many other animals would be long extinct if they served no purpose to the human race. Cruel, but true. If the streets became overrun with abandoned animals they'd be slaughtered to extinction for being a public menace.

Vegetarianism=pointless. 

davemclaren
25 minutes ago, martoon said:

Much the same would happen if we all turned vegetarian. Who, for example, would breed and care for pigs? 

They and many other animals would be long extinct if they served no purpose to the human race. Cruel, but true. If the streets became overrun with abandoned animals they'd be slaughtered to extinction for being a public menace.

Vegetarianism=pointless. 

They were bred they way they are solely for eating ( not horses ) so I doubt they would survive long in the wild or as feral animals.  Doesn’t make vegetarianism pointless though. I’m not vegetarian by the way. ?

davemclaren
6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

In California there is a growing movement from animal rights activists and indeed a local senator to ban horse racing on the back of 29 horses dying at Santa Anita ( incidentally probably the most beautiful race course in the world) in the current 7 or 8 month season. American priorities? How many more times as many humans in the LA area will have died from gunshots in the same period.

It’s an interesting moral dilemma. I’ve little interest in Horse racing but increasing the risk of injury or death of animals for financial or entertainment reasons isn’t particularly noble. 

ToadKiller Dog

Difficult as sport should be about pushing to your limits, but clearly the Horse doesn't have much of a say in that. 

Prefer to look for regulation first before banning. 

Horses shouldn't be forced to run in conditions where they can die of exhaustion or over heating. 

Nor should they be forced to leap fences which the likely hood of injury far exceeds rare chance. 

I believe we won't be looked on favourably, by our future selves. The way we've treated animals, up til now.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I believe we won't be looked on favourably, by our future selves. The way we've treated animals, up til now.

Oh no. How will we sleep at night? Rather well , I’d guess. 

6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Animals bred for something wouldn't otherwise exist. 

Maybe we should breed slaves, why would it matter. ?  I'm quite sure horses would still exist, but hey, now they're bred for it, so why does it matter how we treat them.

If it stops these "ladies" days at Musselburgh etc then yes. Wall to wall growlers posing about in too short and tight skirts, boak.

2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

They were bred they way they are solely for eating ( not horses ) so I doubt they would survive long in the wild or as feral animals.  Doesn’t make vegetarianism pointless though. I’m not vegetarian by the way. ?

Perhaps a bit harsh on my part. :)

35 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe we should breed slaves, why would it matter. ?  I'm quite sure horses would still exist, but hey, now they're bred for it, so why does it matter how we treat them.

You seriously going to campaign for horse racing to be banned?

Finally something that isn't safe and middle of the road for the Scottish government? 

Scottish values for an independent Scotland?

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Should horse racing be banned?
2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

It should be banned. Animals dying so that people can be entertained.

Seems absurd, right?

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I agree, but the good news is that things are changing. People generally are becoming more aware of animal cruelty. For example, In the last week, Canada has banned companies from exploiting seals, dolphins, and orcas for so-called entertainment purposes. And circuses in many countries are phasing out the use of elephants and big cats.

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

**** our future selves. Self righteous pricks are always looking back at us unfavourably. I say **** 'em, let's get the CFCs back out and **** their ozone layer again. In fact, I'm about to leave the house. I'm going to leave all the lights on and the TV on while I'm away. Take that, you trash talking future *******s, enjoy the rising sea levels. 

Future pricks. 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

Vegetarianism=pointless. 

That's not what would happen. When cars replaced horse-drawn carriages, there weren't suddenly millions of unwanted horses roaming around the cities eating people's petunias. That's because the process occurred over many years. Horses were gradually phased out until they weren't needed any more.

Something similar will happen with livestock grown for human consumption. In fact, the process has already started, with plant-based food products being the fastest growing segment of the grocery business.

With horse racing, it should phased out over several years. Horses will no longer be bred and the horse population will gradually decline.

I'm not a vegetarian either, but it sure isn't pointless.

41 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

That's not what would happen. When cars replaced horse-drawn carriages, there weren't suddenly millions of unwanted horses roaming around the cities eating people's petunias. That's because the process occurred over many years. Horses were gradually phased out until they weren't needed any more.

Something similar will happen with livestock grown for human consumption. In fact, the process has already started, with plant-based food products being the fastest growing segment of the grocery business.

With horse racing, it should phased out over several years. Horses will no longer be bred and the horse population will gradually decline.

Yes. As stated a few posts back, a little harsh on my part. 

Edited by martoon

2 hours ago, martoon said:

Yes. As stated a few posts back, a little harsh on my part. 

:thumb:

The White Cockade

After every death at the TT the Sun and the other UK papers have big headlines about it and stories about why it should be banned

The guys who did at the TT are there because they want to be there and are doing what they love

The animals who die at the races have no say in being there but not a peep from the majority of the media

If horse racing was banned i am certain, 100% that horses wouldn't be in any danger. The remaining racehorses would go into sanctuaries much like retired race horses do and they would still thrive as show horses, pets and many other uses. Great animals. 

If horse racing is to persist then major changes must be made to protect the animals. Lower fences, shorter race courses and cut out the dodgy betting practices. 

• 2 weeks later...
Spitonastranger
On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:57, martoon said:

Vegetarianism=pointless. 

thinking for you pointless

luckyBatistuta

They shouldn’t necessarily be looking at banning horse racing, but they should definitely be turning their attention to the use of Lasix in the sport. This would dramatically drop the amount of deaths to horses in America. 

Bridge of Djoum

A sport that exists purely for gambling purposes. 

Does provide solid employment for small people, though. 

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

What would the Irish midgets do for a living if they banned horse racing?

Dunno but I'll be keeping an eye on my Lucky Charms to be safe. 

5 hours ago, Spitonastranger said:

thinking for you pointless

...sometimes the thinking hurts, pal. 

If you look back at other posts you'll see that I sort of retracted the comment. Now I'll make it official: I hereby apologise to all vegetarians and I retract the offending comment. :)

Edited by martoon

On 15/06/2019 at 14:57, Maple Leaf said:

Lol. Disagree strongly.

Edited by Del Monty

On 15/06/2019 at 13:43, Maple Leaf said:

Seems absurd, right?

I agree, but the good news is that things are changing. People generally are becoming more aware of animal cruelty. For example, In the last week, Canada has banned companies from exploiting seals, dolphins, and orcas for so-called entertainment purposes. And circuses in many countries are phasing out the use of elephants and big cats.

Circuses give me the creeps.

10 hours ago, cheetah said:

What would the Irish midgets do for a living if they banned horse racing?

Go on a short list for whatever replaces Lord of the Rings.

Spitonastranger
14 hours ago, martoon said:

...sometimes the thinking hurts, pal. 

If you look back at other posts you'll see that I sort of retracted the comment. Now I'll make it official: I hereby apologise to all vegetarians and I retract the offending comment. :)

19 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

They shouldn’t necessarily be looking at banning horse racing, but they should definitely be turning their attention to the use of Lasix in the sport. This would dramatically drop the amount of deaths to horses in America. 

That's Prozac. I had to google why they were giving it to horses.

AlphonseCapone
On 15/06/2019 at 11:47, ToadKiller Dog said:

Difficult as sport should be about pushing to your limits, but clearly the Horse doesn't have much of a say in that. 

Prefer to look for regulation first before banning. 

Horses shouldn't be forced to run in conditions where they can die of exhaustion or over heating. 

Nor should they be forced to leap fences which the likely hood of injury far exceeds rare chance. 

That's where I am too. Try to improve the regulation first. 

On 15/06/2019 at 13:35, Mikey1874 said:

Animals bred for something wouldn't otherwise exist. 

Well aye but why does that matter? If they didn't exist we wouldn't be having this conversation. But they do and we are. 

On 15/06/2019 at 14:23, Mikey1874 said:

You seriously going to campaign for horse racing to be banned?

Finally something that isn't safe and middle of the road for the Scottish government? 

Scottish values for an independent Scotland?

:facepalm: there are plenty of politics threads ffs.