Most frightening book or film

LeftBack

18 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

They should make a horror movie about grandads. That would be scary, prune juice and diapers all over the place! :wink:

:lol:

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

Its a mock memoir but feels real, when you look up some of the names they are real people but it is almost 100% fiction. Mental and scary...

Me and the then gf saw The Grudge in the cinema. The full on cinematic effect made it quite a scary experience.

When I was a lot younger read a book about these dodgy looking Scarecrows, can't remember the name of it but it was  a scary read.

I P Knightley

I've never been interested in horror movies - I just don't see the point in spending my money that way. We're about to get Boris Johnson as Prime Minister - that's firghtening enough for me.

I went to see Jaws as a lad - under peer pressure. I remember the screams going round the Odeon when the head popped out the side of the sunken boat. I don't think I've seen anything scary at the pictures since then.

Watched a few of the classic (Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price) black & white films on the telly. More suspense than horror and not particularly scary.

Judge Fudge
On 15 June 2019 at 10:08, Carl Fredrickson said:

When I was at primary school I saw the TV show Salems Lot. To this day the thought of it still spooks me. 

More recent ones - Blair Witch, watched it on my own and as has been said, the ending gave me goosebumps. 

Babadook was decent too. 

Saw Salems Lot at the same age on TV, no film  has shit me up as much as that one since.

Watched it again recently, it hasn't aged badly at all. Looking forward to the film version being currently planned with James Wan producing. 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is one of the creepiest ones I've seen recently

Watched Eden Lake off the back of this thread last week. Not scary in the slightest. Pretty grim though.

On 15/06/2019 at 18:29, Carl Fredrickson said:

This has minded me of The Fog. Saw it when I was at primary school and didnt sleep that night. You could tell all the kids who had watched it (in the days when we had 3 channels) as we were all shatered and struggling to keep our eyes open. 

That was my first horror, again whilst in primary school.

My dad must have recorded it as I remember watching it with a mate when school broke for holidays. I was a nervous wreck when my folks and sister got home.

12 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Watched Eden Lake off the back of this thread last week. Not scary in the slightest. Pretty grim though.

What did you think of the film in the whole though?

I enjoyed it. Pretty decent British movie.

Carl Fredrickson
13 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Saw Salems Lot at the same age on TV, no film  has shit me up as much as that one since.

Watched it again recently, it hasn't aged badly at all. Looking forward to the film version being currently planned with James Wan producing. 

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is one of the creepiest ones I've seen recently

2 hours ago, superjack said:

That was my first horror, again whilst in primary school.

My dad must have recorded it as I remember watching it with a mate when school broke for holidays. I was a nervous wreck when my folks and sister got home.

I think the older ones went for the psychological impact. A lot of modern movies go for the slasher/fright way. My son is 9 and I wouldnt dream of letting him see some of the older ones (nore newer ones) as they fecked with my mind! 

19 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

They should make a horror movie about grandads. That would be scary, prune juice and diapers all over the place! :wink:

image.png.2c13cf488fef33bd690e28fc9fdb576a.png

AlphonseCapone

What is that makes something scary then? A lot of it seems to be based on the circumstances ie what age you were when you watched/read or the environment such as you were on your own. 

I saw the original IT as a very young child and remember being terrified of it. Watched it as an adult and found it funny more than anything. Much prefer the new IT movie to the original. 

I've read and watched tons of horror over the years to the extent that neither format scares me.  When I was a kid, and as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, I was terrified by one of the Hammer House shows - it was a series of standalone episodes and might have been called Hammer House Presents.  But that was probably because me the kid had an imagination that was more easily stimulated by these sorts of things 

The TV serialisaiton of Salems' Lot (starring David Soul) was possibly scarier than the book.  Particularly the scene where one of the dead Glick boys is hovering outside the upstairs bedroom window, tapping at it and asking to be let in.

I much prefer supernatural horror to slasher horror.  Films about maniacs wanting to murder people in inventive and graphic ways does nothing for me at all.

3 hours ago, iantjambo said:

What did you think of the film in the whole though?

I enjoyed it. Pretty decent British movie.

It was alright aye. Wasn't a big fan of the ending.

16 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Saw Salems Lot at the same age on TV, no film  has shit me up as much as that one 

Saw it when I was a lot younger and like you scared the hell out of me.

Edited by Marvin

The Fog has also been mentioned. I watched it at my mate's in Granton just as a mist roiled in off Granton harbour. I ran home without looking back.

On 14/06/2019 at 22:27, Maple Leaf said:

The Alfred Hitchcock film "Psycho", starring Tony Perkins and Janet Leigh.

It got my adrenaline going a couple of times.

The Birds had a similar impact on me :curtain:

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, Marvin said:

The Birds had a similar impact on me :curtain:

Absolutely freaked me out

one that hasn’t been mentioned is chitty chitty bang bang. I was seriously freaked out by the childcatcher. 

7 hours ago, Haken said:

I've read and watched tons of horror over the years to the extent that neither format scares me.  When I was a kid, and as someone earlier in the thread mentioned, I was terrified by one of the Hammer House shows - it was a series of standalone episodes and might have been called Hammer House Presents.  But that was probably because me the kid had an imagination that was more easily stimulated by these sorts of things 

The TV serialisaiton of Salems' Lot (starring David Soul) was possibly scarier than the book.  Particularly the scene where one of the dead Glick boys is hovering outside the upstairs bedroom window, tapping at it and asking to be let in.

I much prefer supernatural horror to slasher horror.  Films about maniacs wanting to murder people in inventive and graphic ways does nothing for me at all.

Salem's Lot and the Birds were the talk of the school next day.

One I was scared at was a movie with a young Brooke Shields in it.

A killer wearing a yellow raincoat stabbing folk in  a local parish.

Edge of seat stuff for a young teenager.

Cannot remember the name of the movie.

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I have got the remake of Amityville and imho it is pretty good.

Amityville 2 scared the hell out of me.

The White Cockade
47 minutes ago, benny said:

Yeah freaked me out as a kid

weird weird showdwarfking.jpg

On 20/06/2019 at 16:55, Marvin said:

Me and the then gf saw The Grudge in the cinema. The full on cinematic effect made it quite a scary experience.

When I was a lot younger read a book about these dodgy looking Scarecrows, can't remember the name of it but it was  a scary read.

Took the Mrs to see the Grudge on first date.

Really freaked me out and I've watched horrors all my days.

Cinema was packed and you could genuinely feel everyone on edge

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Amityville 2 scared the hell out of me.

If this is the one when the teenage boy murders his whole family and gets possessed then aye!

Watched it with my Dad when I was about 12 and thought it was terrifying and mind actually looking away from the telly when the boy is talking in the devil voice as was that scary!

F that for a game of toy soldiers. 

1 hour ago, Gavman81 said:

If this is the one when the teenage boy murders his whole family and gets possessed then aye!

Watched it with my Dad when I was about 12 and thought it was terrifying and mind actually looking away from the telly when the boy is talking in the devil voice as was that scary!

F that for a game of toy soldiers. 

That's the one. It was actually a prequel to the original Amityville movie.

16 hours ago, benny said:

Salem's Lot and the Birds were the talk of the school next day.

One I was scared at was a movie with a young Brooke Shields in it.

A killer wearing a yellow raincoat stabbing folk in  a local parish.

Edge of seat stuff for a young teenager.

Cannot remember the name of the movie.

alice_cover.jpg

2 hours ago, benny said:

That's the one

When I watched the movie it was under the title Communion.

Probably tame now.

Yeah, I remember it as Communion. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. 

Thought I would watch the film the nun. A horror from last year. What a load of shite. You can see scarier on cbeebies.

16 hours ago, superjack said:

Thought I would watch the film the nun. A horror from last year. What a load of shite. You can see scarier on cbeebies.

We were going to watch that last night. Decided against it.

Looks like we dodged a bullet.

20 hours ago, Zico said:

Yeah, I remember it as Communion. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. 

Was this a slasher type film about a fecked up girl who is forced to attend her church and partaking in Communion. I have recollections of this from 30 odd years ago.   

Edited by Marvin

11 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I met the director Richard Stanley a few times, he was a big fan of Fields of the Nephilim and did a couple of videos for them. 

18 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Hostel was disturbing,

but by far the most disturbing and scary film I’ve seen is a french film called ‘Martyrs’. Seriously messed with my head for weeks after watching it. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1029234/

Forgot about Hostel. It was more disturbing than scary.

Governor Tarkin
On 21/06/2019 at 20:00, AlphonseCapone said:

Cat in the hat freaks me out. Genuinely. 

This. :(

doctor jambo
On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:20, I P Knightley said:

I've never been interested in horror movies - I just don't see the point in spending my money that way. We're about to get Boris Johnson as Prime Minister - that's firghtening enough for me.

I went to see Jaws as a lad - under peer pressure. I remember the screams going round the Odeon when the head popped out the side of the sunken boat. I don't think I've seen anything scary at the pictures since then.

Watched a few of the classic (Boris Karloff, Christopher Lee, Vincent Price) black & white films on the telly. More suspense than horror and not particularly scary.

that scene from Jaws has left me with a persistent fear of water where I cannot see the bottom, I still suffer from severe panic attacks if I find myself in water and I cannot see what is beneath me.

gordiegords
On 21/06/2019 at 22:29, Madjambo21 said:

Took the Mrs to see the Grudge on first date.

Really freaked me out and I've watched horrors all my days.

Cinema was packed and you could genuinely feel everyone on edge

Similar, seen the grudge in the cinema, didnt know anything about it, by the end of it the whole place ahd an atmospehre, folk werent smiling going out of the room, we all kinda looked at each other, was horrible, back then some of the original asian horror was untouchable. 

The original "Ringu" terrifying

other mentions

A tale of two sisters

Psycho 2, will forever be etched my soul.

Hereditary (best horror of the last 10 years)

Susperia, (the remake) thought it was excellent but im a big thom yorke fan

Rec 1 and 2

the 1970's horror "black christmas" scary af.

sure there lots more.

On 15/06/2019 at 18:36, Transcendental said:

At that time in our lives when reading is seen as not cool (mid-teens) I mInd half the kids at school were banging on about James Herbert’s The Rats Trilogy. 

Excellent stuff that gave me nightmares for many a month. 

I read the The Rats when I was about 11 or 12 and scared myself sh1tless.  Didn't stop me going on a reading all of his other books.