Imagine If Hearts sold a player for £20m this summer......how do you spend it

jamboinglasgow

Brighton Jambo

6 x £1m players to supplement the good players we already have (£6m)

Each given a three year £15k a week deal (£14m)

Should ensure the quality to have a real crack at winning the league and progressing in Europe.  If after 3 years we have failed we release the players and get wage bill back to normal so no harm done

16 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

6 x £1m players to supplement the good players we already have (£6m)

Each given a three year £15k a week deal (£14m)

Should ensure the quality to have a real crack at winning the league and progressing in Europe.  If after 3 years we have failed we release the players and get wage bill back to normal so no harm done

So all the other players just accept that? Usually forces the whole wage bill up. 

Brighton Jambo
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

So all the other players just accept that? Usually forces the whole wage bill up. 

Unless any of the other players can honestly look the manager in the eye and convince him they have a market value of £1m then I am sure it could be justified.  Also the message to them is step up and ensure success for the club, prove they can operate at that next level and they will see reward either in the form of performance related bonuses or a better salary when their contract is up for negotiation (funded by the additional prize money from the club doing better)

17 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Aye I can see men's football becoming almost irrelevant in comparison, stadiums will be packed out every week and women footballers will be going for astronomical transfer fees.

It will be a changed world.  Phil Neville will be one of very few men still employed in Britain.  He will clean up the guts of the suffragents who throw themselves under the horses.

The female players will still choose to holiday in Dubai though which will be transformed from backwards kitsch-hole with giant revolving mountains and men in dresses to a futuristic place where everyone can wear a dress and purchase land reclaimed from the sea. 

46 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We could build another Michelin star restaurant 

And get Willie Miller in to run it?! 

I would buy 200 pairs of stilts so those in the SkyBar could see the Castle.

I would recruit Jack Ross on a 30 year contract.

I would pay the Scotland Ladies team to fall pregnant with the children of our George Burley squad and sign them up to 30 year contracts.

I would spend it all on mediocre players who have suddenly got much better since leaving Hearts.

Put a long term sustainable plan in motion which would allow us to boost our level but maintain it.

Ideally build a squad that doesn't burst the 20m but gives us a chance to get into Europe and earn that kind of money again. 

Truth be told if Souttar was playing in England's championship and he was English he would already be worth 25m.

a safe pair of sells
15 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

What would you do with the other £19.9m?

Made me giggle!

Think its fair to say that the whole lot wouldn't go straight back into the team. A good chunk would be used against operating costs, debt, and other business. I reckon less than half would go into the team. But lets say with £8M, we could actually pay transfer fees for players instead of always relying on free transfers and loan deals, and we could pay slightly more competitive wages to have a better chance of luring players away from other leagues. I wouldn't want to see us spend £1-2M on players, more like £300k, 400k, £500k and so on, just build up a strong squad over the course of a couple of seasons, with plenty depth and youth. Once we have some success, finish higher in the league, win trophies and play in Europe then the increased wages should take care of themselves.  

highlandjambo3

Seems like a lot of dosh but, in the grand scheme of things, in football terms is it really a game changer??

I know mad Vlad took us places we had not been before and brought in players way above all our expectations, I had read somewhere that his total input was around 50 million quid during his time here (tell me I’m not making this up) but, what did we really achieve??  Success is something to be built on but 50 million quid and a few years later we nearly go bust so what would 20 do......I think a couple of big signings on high wages would not be the thing to do, a bit of hit and hope there.  I think investment in youth and, top quality facilities/coaches (better than we have now, although it is very good as it stands) as well as a bit of an increase in capped first team wages to try and attract a higher level of player, we bit on the stadium and a big bit in reserve...... not an overnight game changer though.

Dalstonjambo
55 minutes ago, mc2607 said:

Think its fair to say that the whole lot wouldn't go straight back into the team. A good chunk would be used against operating costs, debt, and other business. I reckon less than half would go into the team. But lets say with £8M, we could actually pay transfer fees for players instead of always relying on free transfers and loan deals, and we could pay slightly more competitive wages to have a better chance of luring players away from other leagues. I wouldn't want to see us spend £1-2M on players, more like £300k, 400k, £500k and so on, just build up a strong squad over the course of a couple of seasons, with plenty depth and youth. Once we have some success, finish higher in the league, win trophies and play in Europe then the increased wages should take care of themselves.  

What operating costs, debt and 'other business' do we have that amounts to £12m? 

rudi must stay

How I would spend it?

Some on the team

Some on the Infrastructure. Scouting. Staff etc

50/50 on each

crunchy frog

Surely the correct answer is 1000 players from the Scottish junior leagues. One of them might come good at 20k a pop.

8 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We could build another Michelin star restaurant 

We have a Michelin star restaurant? Where can I book this......

Watt-Zeefuik

If it were this summer, £5m straight into the first team squad b/c there's a window for us to win the league. If it were two summers ago, with Celtic spending silly money on Rodgers' squad, sock it away in savings or invest in revenue producing stuff.

First obviously clear all debts. That's the easiest one.

Buying real estate around Tynecastle like the old high school makes a lot of sense, particularly if with a bit of money you could get profit-producing entities like a hotel that could sock money back into the team.

Explore putting a second tier on the Wheatfield. I know Ann has said Tynecastle is now fully built-out, but I think the Wheatfield could be redeveloped into a 10k stand without too much fuss, maybe just a bit of land including the community pitch.

28 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

If it were this summer, £5m straight into the first team squad b/c there's a window for us to win the league. If it were two summers ago, with Celtic spending silly money on Rodgers' squad, sock it away in savings or invest in revenue producing stuff.

Buying real estate around Tynecastle like the old high school makes a lot of sense, particularly if with a bit of money you could get profit-producing entities like a hotel that could sock money back into the team.

Explore putting a second tier on the Wheatfield. I know Ann has said Tynecastle is now fully built-out, but I think the Wheatfield could be redeveloped into a 10k stand without too much fuss, maybe just a bit of land including the community pitch.

Have genuinely never heard the word sock used in this context before, is that an American thing?

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

This is where I'm at. An expanded and redeveloped Wheatfield could really help put some distance between ourselves, the dons and hobos financially speaking long term. Of course, we'd need to be able to fill it. But nonetheless, its something which should be explored if attendances remain strong.

Over a 5 year period I’d buy 5 of the best 18-19 year olds (per year) from around Europe we can get for £200k each.  Over a 5 year period these players should hopefully improve our first team for a few years and then possibly get a fee for us. It’s a similar model to other clubs like Celtic or lower EP teams but on a lower budget/level of player. 

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, novoman said:

Long term projects.....

buy the community pitch.......... 1/ room for expanding the wheatfield making a second tier    2/ or  filling in the corners.

buy the old tynecastle school...................develop it into luxury flats or a hotel

buy the Hearts academy from Herriot Watt uni..........saving on rent every season

short term projects.....

Develop the old ticket office (wheatfield stand) into a match day bar.

renovate the second floor of the main stand into 7 day projects ( soft play areas, gym , conference rooms )

Build a marquee type tent in Gerard’s yard pre match entertainment .. 

Get rid of all the discoloured seats in the  roseburn stand.

Put in safe standing into some lower tier areas.

whatever is left , buy ’ olly lee’s left boot’ his fake boobs that he longs for ?

Or you could do the vastly more sensible thing of putting safe standing into some upper tier areas!

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, wallace_mercer said:

Buy players that score and create goals 

Realistic suggestions only please!  This thread isn't meant for silliness and frivolity! 

Spend 10M on 4 or 5 players with good potential.

Sell them to Southampton with a large fee plus even more addons.

Invest profit in squad and youngsters.

A statue of Medhi Taouil dressed as a WW1 soldier (made entirely of diamonds) any spare would go on bringing Cole Stockton back.

FarmerTweedy
8 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Seems like a lot of dosh but, in the grand scheme of things, in football terms is it really a game changer??

I know mad Vlad took us places we had not been before and brought in players way above all our expectations, I had read somewhere that his total input was around 50 million quid during his time here (tell me I’m not making this up) but, what did we really achieve??  Success is something to be built on but 50 million quid and a few years later we nearly go bust so what would 20 do......I think a couple of big signings on high wages would not be the thing to do, a bit of hit and hope there.  I think investment in youth and, top quality facilities/coaches (better than we have now, although it is very good as it stands) as well as a bit of an increase in capped first team wages to try and attract a higher level of player, we bit on the stadium and a big bit in reserve...... not an overnight game changer though.

To be fair, Romanov ****ed about so much with clueless coaches, interfering with team selection,  ludicrous signings, and so much other shambolic running of the club, that it's utterly pointless to use what happened under that regime as a basis for what significant spending in the future might result in. 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 14/06/2019 at 14:54, Craig_ said:

Have genuinely never heard the word sock used in this context before, is that an American thing?

Must be. I don't know the etymology. Probably something to do with stuffing in a sock drawer.

I'd spend it all on getting Moyes in.  What a coup.  Just because he's been an abject failure as a manager doesnt mean he will fail with us.