Imagine If Hearts sold a player for £20m this summer......how do you spend it

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

Was thinking about this, say this summer after a mad bidding war Souttar was sold for £20m, how would we use the money? Because it raises points to me about what realistically we could budget.

The obvious thing people would call out for is that its all spent on the first team, an obvious one. But while you could buy some great players with the money that will boost the team and raise our level, you would be mad to spend all £20m in one year. And increase transfer fees bring about large wages that players expect to match their value. Last season (2017/18) we spent £6m in wages. You could double that wage bill and spend £2m in transfer fees but without a raise in income (mostly by player sales) then the money runs out in less than 3 seasons, after that you need to raise an extra £6m a year just to maintain wages.

The next option is you could spend it on infrastructure, and that is always welcome. However apart from a couple of million to do up the non-main stands, there is no much needed for the stadium. The academy could benefit from some increased investment but again how much more do you put in. 

Then there is the option of keeping some to put in the bank, have the cash reserve for unforeseen problems. Though what level do you go up to, as Celtic have shown keep too much in the bank and fans start to wonder when that money will actually be used.

There are then out of the box ideas, such as invest some money in the property market to either used as additional revenue throughout the season (though it means less money during the season than if they had just spent it there and then) and securely increase money long term (unless property market crashes.)

Just curious if this incredibly unlikely scenario happened what realistically would people see that money spent

Bazzas right boot

Bet on black, double it to £40m

Buy good players, win the league. 

Easy, peasy. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Bet on black, double it to £40m

But good players, win the league. 

Easy, peasy. 

Hah! Snap! 

But beat you to it ;)

Bazzas right boot
Just now, tian447 said:

Hah! Snap! 

But beat you to it ;)

Lol seen that, thought I was being  original as well! 

Give 10 million to vlad to bring it a new squad of stars. 

Keep 10 million to buy the best prospects in scotland before the old firm do and  wipe out the competition 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Give 10 million to vlad to bring it a new squad of stars. 

Keep 10 million to buy the best prospects in scotland before the old firm do and  wipe out the competition 

Bit harsh, buying all the prospects then dropping a nuke after. 

FarmerTweedy
19 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Was thinking about this, say this summer after a mad bidding war Souttar was sold for £20m, how would we use the money? Because it raises points to me about what realistically we could budget.

The obvious thing people would call out for is that its all spent on the first team, an obvious one. But while you could buy some great players with the money that will boost the team and raise our level, you would be mad to spend all £20m in one year. And increase transfer fees bring about large wages that players expect to match their value. Last season (2017/18) we spent £6m in wages. You could double that wage bill and spend £2m in transfer fees but without a raise in income (mostly by player sales) then the money runs out in less than 3 seasons, after that you need to raise an extra £6m a year just to maintain wages.

The next option is you could spend it on infrastructure, and that is always welcome. However apart from a couple of million to do up the non-main stands, there is no much needed for the stadium. The academy could benefit from some increased investment but again how much more do you put in. 

Then there is the option of keeping some to put in the bank, have the cash reserve for unforeseen problems. Though what level do you go up to, as Celtic have shown keep too much in the bank and fans start to wonder when that money will actually be used.

There are then out of the box ideas, such as invest some money in the property market to either used as additional revenue throughout the season (though it means less money during the season than if they had just spent it there and then) and securely increase money long term (unless property market crashes.)

Just curious if this incredibly unlikely scenario happened what realistically would people see that money spent

£20m? I'd just spend it on Sean Clare's wages for the next 2,000 weeks! ?

Realistically double the wage bill with 5/6 quality players. If we get to the champs league group stage once every 4 years or europa league group stage every 2 we’d be good I think. 

FarmerTweedy
19 minutes ago, adambraejambo said:

Buy hibs and do what Mercer could not do. 

What would you do with the other £19.9m?

FarmerTweedy
20 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Put it all on Black. 

:profit:

That's a lot of money to spend on hiring a painter!

indianajones

Start a breakaway league, invite 15 other clubs and leave those two horrible clubs in the west well out of it. 

Personally, I'd say throw it at a 3 year stint of challenging the OF. 6 class players in the 20k a week bracket over 3 years. It'd be a hell of a 3 years, although the come down afterwards, when we're back to normal squad quality, would be brutal. 

Mr Elwood P
9 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Realistically double the wage bill with 5/6 quality players. If we get to the champs league group stage once every 4 years or europa league group stage every 2 we’d be good I think. 

We’d need to increase our wage bill by far more than double

to get anywhere near winning the league never mind getting to the Champions League group stages. We’re currently at £6m Celtic

are at £60m! 

Be patient and snap up a better standard of player over a few years on pre-contracts with a bigger wage budget. Maybe splashing the odd transfer fee to gazump rivals. 

Along with gradual improvement on the pitch, crowds increase and more outside investment is enticed.

Easy as ?

30 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

That's a lot of money to spend on hiring a painter!

Maybe he can also clean windows.

hereford_hearts

Pump it all into the ladies team. 

Edited by hereford_hearts
Crap spelling

Stephen Muddie

Build/buy a few of top Edinburgh hotels or a 10,000 seater dedicated performing arts venue and reinvest all profits into the first team. Use spare change for hookers, drinkz n drugz

Edited by Stephen Muddie

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, hereford_hearts said:

Pump it all into the ladies team. 

The winner. ??

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Jambo, Goodbye

Invest it all in the scouting network and sign the greatest 11 free transfers the world has ever seen!  

But more realistically, sign a squad of the best u19s we can, and watch them grow together into the invincibles ?

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

I don't know, the sensible thing is to try and use the money to secure our future. Lobby the government to help move the brewery out of Gorgie. Secure the Pitch, land immediately behind the Roseburn, the Old school, flats behind the Gorgie stand. Would give us room to expand. 

Alternative is to spend the money bringing in quality coaches and a DoF from Ajax. Let them implement their structure, elect a successor and phase them out allowing the domestic coaches to administrate the structure. 

I'd make a point of securing winners. Players of Naismiths attitude. I want that winners attitude embedded in the club top to bottom.

Invest in the community. Make us more inclusive and build gender neutral toilets throughout Tynie.

Edited by i8hibsh

The mind boggles.  Some would definately be spent on the womens section.  Enough to make us semi-professional I would guess.  Some on the new stand and finally painting or replacing these worn out seats.  I'm trying to guess what the board would do.

Poss £1m to Big Hearts.  The bulk over two seasons to strengthen the 1st team squad.

Maroon trees.  Big screens.

I honestly think womens football will be massive within 5 years and we should be at the forefront.  Tin hat.

21 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't know, the sensible thing is to try and use the money to secure our future. Lobby the government to help move the brewery out of Gorgie. Secure the Pitch, land immediately behind the Roseburn, the Old school, flats behind the Gorgie stand. Would give us room to expand. 

This sort of thing for me too.

FarmerTweedy
28 minutes ago, OTT said:

Alternative is to spend the money bringing in quality coaches and a DoF from Ajax. Let them implement their structure, elect a successor and phase them out allowing the domestic coaches to administrate the structure. 

I'd make a point of securing winners. Players of Naismiths attitude. I want that winners attitude embedded in the club top to bottom.

There's a brewery in Gorgie?  Is it anywhere near the distillery? 

FarmerTweedy
3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

The mind boggles.  Some would definately be spent on the womens section.  Enough to make us semi-professional I would guess.  Some on the new stand and finally painting or replacing these worn out seats.  I'm trying to guess what the board would do.

Poss £1m to Big Hearts.  The bulk over two seasons to strengthen the 1st team squad.

I honestly think womens football will be massive within 5 years and we should be at the forefront.  Tin hat.

I'd actually spend the whole £20m attempting to teach the world's population to spell the word 'definitely' correctly! 

Bazzas right boot

Build an underground lair and a big catapult that could fire cows and goats over the firth of forth and big bags of shite at Ibrox, Parkhead, Easter road and Livingston (just because it would be in range). 

Get fake boobs so I could play with them. 

Decent manager first and foremost. Imagine Levein with an extra couple of million to spend....!

Bazzas right boot

Still confused to the op, not sure why I get £20m from a player Hearts sell. 

Seems like a poor business decision, almost as bad as signing Oshanwia. 

Long term projects.....

buy the community pitch.......... 1/ room for expanding the wheatfield making a second tier    2/ or  filling in the corners.

buy the old tynecastle school...................develop it into luxury flats or a hotel

buy the Hearts academy from Herriot Watt uni..........saving on rent every season

short term projects.....

Develop the old ticket office (wheatfield stand) into a match day bar.

renovate the second floor of the main stand into 7 day projects ( soft play areas, gym , conference rooms )

Build a marquee type tent in Gerard’s yard pre match entertainment .. 

Get rid of all the discoloured seats in the  roseburn stand.

Put in safe standing into some lower tier areas.

whatever is left , buy ’ olly lee’s left boot’ his fake boobs that he longs for ?

Edited by novoman

Tommy Brown
6 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Invest in the community. Make us more inclusive and build gender neutral toilets throughout Tynie.

:lol: post deserves congratulating.

Nobody else has, must mean on that your on even more "ignore" lists than first thought :whistling:

Invest heavily in the youth academy. Turn it into a world-class facility and employ enough scouts to hoover up all the top talent, them battery farm them in  huge numbers the way the large European teams do.

As someone said above, shell out to bring in a DOF from the likes of Ajax/Auxerre etc and look forward to a conveyor belt of top young players coming through. 

Pay off Levein, then get a decent manager in. 

Give the rest of the dosh to the new guy to buy a ******* striker or two.

Finish the stand, fit rail seating in a section of the ground, few decent player(im sure Naismith could have some contacts that would get us good players without spending ridiculous amounts).

9 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

I'd actually spend the whole £20m attempting to teach the world's population to spell the word 'definitely' correctly! 

Good idea but would never happen.  With hindsight we'd look back and think "could of, should of"

1 minute ago, WageThief said:

Good idea but would never happen.  With hindsight we'd look back and think "could of, should of"

I see what you did there!  ?

10 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Aye I can see men's football becoming almost irrelevant in comparison, stadiums will be packed out every week and women footballers will be going for astronomical transfer fees.