In your opinion what’s the greatest achievement in Scottish football?

Angel eyes

The crowds we used to have in Scottish football, e.g. the attendance of 147,365 for the 1937 Scottish Cup Final between Celtic and Aberdeen, the attendance of 149,415 for the Scotland versus England match in 1937 at Hampden Park, etc. etc. Still European Records. Amazing crowd figures. And everyone mixed together too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_football_attendance_records

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Forever Hearts

• martoon

• been here before

5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Forcing Rangers into the third division instead of straight back in to the top flight.

Though in actual fact they shouldn’t have had that as they were reformed as a new company and shouldn’t have been given access without 3 years of accounts able to be submitted. So probably the opposite of Scottish footballs greatest achievement. Shamefully shoehorning a team in at the expense of another. 

One of the most remarkable achievements is the fact the nation is just as passionate about the game as it has always been and that's inspite of 35 years decline in the quality of our football. 

Scottish football is starting to gain a little momentum IMO and supporters all over the country deserve to see great young Scottish players making the grade at the highest levels once again. 

World champions 67. :)

But I'd say, (I know it doesn't count), Dennis Law winning the Balloon d'Or.

jack D and coke
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Scottish football has had so many lows dragging it down for so many years.

I hope in time we can say the appointment of Steve Clarke. However, I'd say saving our club would be up there. Biggest fan movement and all that. Oldco managing to get to UEFA cup final was an achievement (despite the cheating). Celtic getting to the last 16 of the champions league was significant. 

I should be talking about Scotland getting out of the group stages of a major tournament, seeing Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, not just qualify but go beyond the group stages of the Europa League. The SFA securing a TV deal which allows us to compete effectively in Europe. Watching any of the traditional 'best of the rest' clubs (ourselves, Hibs and Aberdeen) finally breaking the old firm dominance and snagging a league title. 

I can't talk about any of that because for various reasons Scottish football isn't succeeding to breed the necessary competition to enable any of that to happen.  To have seen Croatia get to a world cup final despite only being a country since 1991, whilst we've not made a major tournaments GROUP STAGES in over 20 years is beyond embarrassing. 

Sadly so true. 

We’re all so happy to pounce on each other’s failures though i sometimes wonder if Scotland is too small and there’s far too much bitterness built up in all walks of life from politics and religion and it’s fed it’s way down into the football where any genuine help given is seen as you been one of the other lot and the bitterness just festers. With social media it feels ten times worse these days too. 

I find it all draining me at times I don’t know how we can fix it tbf. 

To get back onto subject I’d have to say Celtic in 67, Aberdeen in 83 closely followed by Dundee United being robbed by those cheating Roma ***** and then nearly winning the uefa cup in 87. 

These things will never happen again. 

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

The first club to have floodlights in Scotland was Stenhousemuir, not the wee team. 

The poster was referring to Stenny. :)

William H. Bonney
5 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Hearts getting a penalty in the first minute of a cup final v a weegie team in the weege.  

2 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Hearts getting a penalty in the closing minutes of a cup semi-final v a weegie team in the weege.

Hearts scoring a penalty. 

Francis Albert

I have not read the thread but if  anyone has said anything  other than

Celtic  winning  the European Cup then .

... wow just wow.

been here before
7 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

The first club to have floodlights in Scotland was Stenhousemuir, not the wee team. 

No-one has denied that

6 hours ago, martoon said:

The poster was referring to Stenny. :)

No I wasnt.

"Only the best lighting system then available was considered to be good enough for Hibernian, and the Easter Road lights were mounted on specially constructed 100ft high pylons at each corner of the ground. They were among the first such structures to be built anywhere in the world, and when completed, the club were said to be the pioneers of real floodlighting".

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/artefacts/let-there-be-light

"Real floodlighting"

:rofl:

1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

I have not read the thread but if  anyone has said anything  other than

Celtic  winning  the European Cup then .

... wow just wow.

Some of us have excluded C and R due to the massive advantage they have over the rest of us.  

The Goalscoring Knee
8 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:
13 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Hearts getting a penalty in the first minute of a cup final v a weegie team in the weege.  

10 hours ago, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Hearts getting a penalty in the closing minutes of a cup semi-final v a weegie team in the weege.

Hearts scoring a penalty. 

?

2 hours ago, been here before said:

No-one has denied that

No I wasnt.

"Only the best lighting system then available was considered to be good enough for Hibernian, and the Easter Road lights were mounted on specially constructed 100ft high pylons at each corner of the ground. They were among the first such structures to be built anywhere in the world, and when completed, the club were said to be the pioneers of real floodlighting".

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/artefacts/let-there-be-light

"Real floodlighting"

“The pioneers of real floodlighting”

13 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

And Hearts won 2-0. Natural Order.

Again!!!

Just now, Kiwidoug said:

And Hearts won 2-0. Natural Order.

Again!!!

They should change their name to Real Floodlights.

16 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

As much as I detest Celtic I have to say that their achievement in winning the EC in 67 and doing so with a team of local lads stands above all for me.   As a Scotsman I am proud of their achievement coz let's not forget it was a team of 11 Scots ?

And they followed it up. Beating Leeds in the 1970 semi final is up there too. 

Unfortunately the national team haven't done  anything aside from one off wins like England 67 or Holland 78. 

Got to be Aberdeen or celtic Euro cup wins. Scottish teams will never do that again. The europa league is even too far out of distance for Scottish teams.

Celtic in 67 followed by Rangers and Aberdeen in winning the cup winners cup.

Domestic wise Berwick Rangers beating Rangers or Partick beating Celtic 4/1 in the league cup final.

17 hours ago, graygo said:

Gretna coming from nowhere to getting to where they did, including the Scottish cup final before imploding was some achievement, 

This.

Maroon Sailor

No other takers for the 36-0 then !

Should have been 43-0 !

Don't think the Arbroath goalie touched the ball - another record

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Hearts Heritage
20 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Hibernian managing to get invited into the european cup despite finishing 5th in the league

No one's ever going to achieve that again

To then go forward by beating the european super giants  Rot-Weiss Essen  and  Djurgardens , well , what can you say.....

Or Hibs and Hearts twice each getting invited to play in the Inter City Fairs Cup despite finishing below teams who were overlooked by the SFA,

Changing my vote:

Just still existing, and maintaining decent attendances despite being run as a racket to only protect two clubs for decades.

Forever Hearts
22 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Aside from what has been mentioned, Hearts beating Bayern Munich in the QF of the old European cup. Also Atletico Madrid. 

Every day's a school day. 

colinmaroon
On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 16:07, TexasAndy said:

As much as I detest Celtic I have to say that their achievement in winning the EC in 67 and doing so with a team of local lads stands above all for me.   As a Scotsman I am proud of their achievement coz let's not forget it was a team of 11 Scots ?

Seriously, that is the only answer!  

Been through the whole thread and no one has mentioned Raith Rovers beating Celtic in LC final....fantastic achievement. Celtic 67 was a great thing considering all the players came from within a certain radius of Glasgow (cant remember exactly how far). Aberdeen beating Real for me is probably the best though....both myself and then girlfriends father ( diehard Celtic fan) jumped out our seat to cheer the John Hewitt goal.... think about it Aberdeen beating Real Madrid?

5 hours ago, Hearts_Museum said:

Or Hibs and Hearts twice each getting invited to play in the Inter City Fairs Cup despite finishing below teams who were overlooked by the SFA,

Would that have been down to the 1 club per city rule?

I think Clyde finished third in the late '60's but were overlooked as Rangers, who'd finished 2nd, took a Fairs Cup place. The place then filtered down to the next club from an unrepresented city/town. 

I'm not 100% sure, tbh. Before my time but I think I read/heard such a rule was in place. 

10 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

To be fair, it was a glorious era when European football was dominated by the two Reals - Madrid and Floodlighting.

57 minutes ago, GYL said:

Been through the whole thread and no one has mentioned Raith Rovers beating Celtic in LC final....fantastic achievement. Celtic 67 was a great thing considering all the players came from within a certain radius of Glasgow (cant remember exactly how far). Aberdeen beating Real for me is probably the best though....both myself and then girlfriends father ( diehard Celtic fan) jumped out our seat to cheer the John Hewitt goal.... think about it Aberdeen beating Real Madrid?

Similar experience re Aberdeen. Only 15 at the time and watched it with another Jambo and two Hibbies. We all jumped to our feet when Hewitt scored.

Dundee Utd won the title a few days later and the contrast between the fortunes of the Edinburgh clubs and the New Firm were startling. 

At least we elevated ourselves up to their level over the next few years. No silverware but better than remaining the mediocre failure that was Hibs throughout the 1980's...

...and beyond. 

Forever Hearts
2 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Seriously, that is the only answer!  

The JKB CSC out in force. Why would ANY Hearts fan be proud of Celtic winning a trophy? It has nothing to do with us and is not our achievement. 

13 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The JKB CSC out in force. Why would ANY Hearts fan be proud of Celtic winning a trophy? It has nothing to do with us and is not our achievement. 

It’s a Scottish Football achievement. That’s what the thread is about. Why would anyone not understand that?

Forever Hearts
21 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

It’s a Scottish Football achievement. That’s what the thread is about. Why would anyone not understand that?

I get the achievement. What I don't get is a Hearts fan being proud of it. Admire it? Yes. Proud of it? Nope.

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

I get the achievement. What I don't get is a Hearts fan being proud of it. Admire it? Yes. Proud of it? Nope.

Was pre-70s less hatred.

Celtic, D Utd and Aberdeen in Europe undoubtably.

I always think D Utd's exploits in Europe never get the exposure and credit they deserve. They were basically cheated out of a European Cup Final spot.

If I had to choose one I'd say D Utd even though they didn't win. Has another club that small from that small a town (with two clubs) ever done that in Europe? Between 1981 and 1987 they got to 2 UEFA Cup QFs and one final and one European Cup semi-final. Incredible! Nottingham Forest did it obviously but not with all English players and with one of the world's greatest ever managers.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Was pre-70s less hatred.

Nothing to do with hatred. They are not my club so I would never be proud of anything they won. Fantastic achievement though. 

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Nothing to do with hatred. They are not my club so I would never be proud of anything they won. Fantastic achievement though. 

Yes, but back then, the lack of hatred meant you could support fellow Scots playing against non-Scots. Bit like supporting your national football team. I’m assuming you do support Scotland?

Konrad von Carstein

Don't know how recurring this has been, however, the RFC continuation myth HAS to be the biggest con/sleight of hand ever successfully carried out in the world of sport, ably assisted by the rulers of the game and the press...

11 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Yes, but back then, the lack of hatred meant you could support fellow Scots playing against non-Scots. Bit like supporting your national football team. I’m assuming you do support Scotland?

Think your wasting your energy engaging with Forever Rangers ??

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Do I go to Scotland games? No. Do I want them to win? Of course I do. Ex travel club member actually and France 98 veteran. 

been here before
52 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Do I go to Scotland games? No. Do I want them to win? Of course I do. Ex travel club member actually and France 98 veteran. 

Whats that exactly?

been here before
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Somebody who went to France 98. 

Right.

A very odd description but if it floats your boats.

Forever Hearts
Just now, been here before said:

Right.

A very odd description but if it floats your boats.

Ffs. It's a daft play on others who have actually served their country. Hard to believe you've never heard of it because plenty of fans use the term. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, GYL said:

Smelling distance I’m lead to believe. 

colinmaroon
2 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Grow UP!

The thread is greatest achievement in SCOTTISH Football.  There was a time when the sick, internet fuelled spite was somewhat less than it is today.

PS Anyone who calls me a Celtic supporter will be afflicted by a plague of boils.

been here before
6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Ffs. It's a daft play on others who have actually served their country. Hard to believe you've never heard of it because plenty of fans use the term. 

Aye I get it but a "France 98 veteran" just sounds shite regardless.

Like I said though, if you're happy then whats not to love?

On 13/06/2019 at 21:45, The Goalscoring Knee said:

Whatever happened to the ref of that game, Euan Norris? Did he ever ref another big game?

It seems that Collum, Beaton, Madden etc ref our games against the arse cheeks time after time because they give the 'correct' decisions.

Dunfermline had some good results in Europe back in the day too.

Given the game has changed so much due to money, quite impressive some of our league clubs exist still, even more impressive are those that continually punch above their weight without endangering themselves financially.