In your opinion what’s the greatest achievement in Scottish football?

Angel eyes

I mean in general and also depending probably on your age what’s happened in the Scottish game that and perhaps not at the time you didn’t realise how good it was. Celtic winning the EC, Aberdeen winning the cup-winners-Cup and beating RealMadrid not some random mob. Scotland maybe qualifying for the 74/78/82/86/90 world cups or Inverness and Ross county reaching the very top of our game by winning a major trophy.......what has impressed you most?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beast Boy

• Forever Hearts

• martoon

• been here before

As much as I detest Celtic I have to say that their achievement in winning the EC in 67 and doing so with a team of local lads stands above all for me.   As a Scotsman I am proud of their achievement coz let's not forget it was a team of 11 Scots ?

The miracle of one club dying but rising from the ashes to return to their rightful place at the peak of Scottish football. Winning all the lower leagues with grace, spreading happiness at every small town they visit. 

Gretna coming from nowhere to getting to where they did, including the Scottish cup final before imploding was some achievement, 

Splitting the old firm in 06. If any other club, with any other owner had done the same we’d never hear the end of it. The ripple effect of us doing that, for me, caused the death of Rangers. A remarkable season when you consider every aspect of it for us. 

rudi must stay

Have to say Rangers and Celtic getting where they did in Europe (uefa cup finals) is a brilliant achievement considering the money they had

Theres been a few great achievements:

Fergie beating Real Madrid with Aberdeen

Jock Stein beating Inter with Celtic

Can't see anyone doing either these days as money has changed football

Bazzas right boot

Continually getting shitter year on year for nearly 30 years but having the courage, intelligence and integrity to change nothing and in fact accelerate the decline of the national and club sides with the changes we have made. 

Either that, or despite the above we are the best supported league per head of population. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

ToadKiller Dog

What Jim McLean did with Dundee United, league win, beating Barcalona,

Could  have played Liverpool in the EC final if Roma hadn't bribed the ref. 

Uefa Cup final. 

5 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Uefa Cup final. 

Yeah - remarkable achievement as well.

Edited by DETTY29

Bazzas right boot

On a serious note. 

Celtics euro win was brilliant. 

Aberdeen under Fergie for that small period of time , hate to say it but utterly brilliant. 

Period of success not matched  by any non OF club.

9 trophies in a row is also unmatched. 

Depressing thread this actually. 

Just now, Old Castle Rock said:

Queens Park's 10 Scottish Cup wins 

Genuine question. Why?

TyphoonJambo

Hibs unselfishly passing on their silky brand of football to  Brazil  thus sending them on the way world cup glory. Or Pa Makalamity managing to convince someone that he was a goalie.

In seriousness though. McCraes Hearts, managing to get second place when most of our team were undergoing military training and yet only getting beaten to the title by a team of  white feathered, war dodgers.  

Cambo_Jambo

I think it has to Celtic winning the European Cup although I think you could throw a blanket over any of the European trophies won by Scottish clubs.

If your looking at the national side, nothing they've done is particularly impressive when you take away out myopic view of beating the English.

From a collective point of view, as another poster said, us having the most watched league per head of population is impressive but thinking about it, I'm not sure if I count that as an achievement. It's more evidence that addiction is a terrible thing!

Just now, Old Castle Rock said:

Amateur club 

At a time when that made virtually no difference to anything though. 

N Lincs Jambo
1 minute ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Uefa Cup final. 

Was going to mention the Arabs in the 80s. I think they got to at least the 1/4 finals of either the UEFA Cup or European Cup 6 years on the spin. Pretty decent for the wee team in Scotland’s 4th city.

Also going back to the 60s Dundee getting to the European Cup semi final beating the German Champions 8-1 at home, Dunfermline getting to the Cup Winners Cup semi-final in 69 (what could have been), Scotland having finalists in the top 2 European competitions and a semi-finalist in the Fairs Cup (Killie lost to Leeds), all in one season 66-67.

For me though it has to be the sheep shaggers winning the Cup Winners Cup knocking out Bayern in the quarters then beating Real Madrid in the final. They then beat the European Cup winners Hamburg to win the Super Cup.

Back until the money started getting silly in England and the larger countries we as a nation always expected to compete in Europe.

Aside from what has been mentioned, Hearts beating Bayern Munich in the QF of the old European cup. Also Atletico Madrid. 

Probably Celtic winning the EC. 

Given the fact that the big money had very much started to infiltrate football when it happened I think Rangers making it to the UEFA cup final in 2008 is a very underrated achievement. 

They beat Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina to get there. All very good teams. 

Queens Park - Before money made their achievements impossible.

Celtic - Good timing. Before money made it impossible.

Rangers - Total meh.

Aberdeen - Pretty decent, but before money made it impossible.

Hibs - Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

scott herbertson

Surprised no one has mentioned Hibernian managing to get invited into the european cup despite finishing 5th in the league

No one's ever going to achieve that again

To then go forward by beating the european super giants  Rot-Weiss Essen  and  Djurgardens , well , what can you say.....

2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Surprised no one has mentioned Hibernian managing to get invited into the european cup despite finishing 5th in the league

To then go forward by beating the european super giants  Rot-Weiss Essen  and  Djurgardens , well , what can you say.....

:spoton:

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Probably Celtic winning the EC. 

Given the fact that the big money had very much started to infiltrate football when it happened I think Rangers making it to the UEFA cup final in 2008 is a very underrated achievement. 

They beat Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon and Fiorentina to get there. All very good teams. 

Rangers... Nah. 

Built on years of cheating. Anything from the mid nineties until thier death was achieved at least in part by cheating. 

132goals1958
13 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

57-58 season.

My  choice also 132 goals for 29 goals against, won the league by 13 points (the equivalent of 19 -20 today). Add in the league being much more competitive in those days with almost all Scottish players. Hibs had quality with Turnbull ,Smith, Baker Reilly and Ormond and both Rangers and Celtic were full of internationals. Even Celtic in their heyday never got near our goals statistics.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

As much as I dislike Aberdeen those years between 80 and 86 were exceptional. 

The power of the greatest manager of my lifetime and I like United even less than Aberdeen. 

Dundee United were pretty exceptional. Winning the league using only 14 players I think. Awesome achievement even then 

10 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

...and release a DVD, with the disclaimer that it contains no actual footage of said games, then actually sell copies. Even selling one would have been a fine achievement. 

A second division Ross County taking hibs to a replay and scoring a last minute winner to knock hibs out the cup (I may or may not have ran on the pitch in Dingwall with my hearts top on at that moment)

Most praiseworthy achievement in my time would be Aberdeen's CWC in 1983.

Not only did they beat Real in the final but they also knocked out Bayern in the quarter final. 0-0 in W. Germany then came from 1-2 down to win 3-2 at Pittodrie. Dundee Utd won the title three days later and all in the same week Hearts clinched promotion at Boghead. 

United would have surpassed Aberdeen if they'd won the UEFA Cup four years later, imo. 

50 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Uefa Cup final. 

This for me, or what Fergie did at Aberdeen. IMO any Scottish team outwith the horror show able to finish a league season as Champions deserves much respect.

Celtic’s European Cup win was also remarkable 

1 hour ago, bn jambo said:

Hearts fans saving the club.

That for me.  I exclude R and C due to their monumenta advantages.   In terms of football played, it's hard to go past the Ferguson era but Gretna was pretty special.

N Lincs Jambo
44 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

5-1

You mean Hibs greatest achievement in keeping it to 5 when it really should have been 10?? ?

3 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

You mean Hibs greatest achievement in keeping it to 5 when it really should have been 10?? ?

Bet that still frustrates each and every one of us.  We could have buried 0-7 with 8 plus in a Scottish Cup Final but chose not to.  Nothing to do with Hibs whatsoever.  They didnt stop us.  We just chose to pass the ball to each other in the middle of the park.

Gŕrrrrrŕrrrrrrrr.

Watt-Zeefuik
52 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Queens Park - Before money made their achievements impossible.

Celtic - Good timing. Before money made it impossible.

Rangers - Total meh.

Aberdeen - Pretty decent, but before money made it impossible.

Hibs - Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

Oh come now Hibs taught the game to Brazil, that's some accomplishment!

::troll::

Just now, Ugly American said:

Oh come now Hibs taught the game to Brazil, that's some accomplishment!

::troll::

Aye, Benny Brazil. ?