Aaron Hughes retires

heartsfc_fan

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm sure there will be all sorts of jibes, but the guy has had a very good career. Amazing I think that he won nothing, he seems to be very much respected among his colleagues, and I would be certain though he has played very little he would have been making a positive contribution around the place.

Happy retirement Aaron.

Thought he looked ok under Cathro but his speed-of-thought seemed to disappear that summer. Really don't think we should have given him the extra year last season as he was clearly done.

been here before
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I'm sure there will be all sorts of jibes, but the guy has had a very good career. Amazing I think that he won nothing, he seems to be very much respected among his colleagues, and I would be certain though he has played very little he would have been making a positive contribution around the place.

Happy retirement Aaron.

Im sure Souttar has previously cited how much of an influence he has been.

Jambof3tornado
14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Happy retirement Aaron.

Should have brought him in as a coach rather than a player. Hardly kicked a ball for us regardless of off field contributions.

A good career but not for us.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Should have brought him in as a coach rather than a player. Hardly kicked a ball for us regardless of off field contributions.

A good career but not for us.

He's just retired today, don't think that was ever an option available to us

i wish jj was my dad

Smashing career and seemed a really good lad. I still have nightmares about him at Livi though.

Dear me, the grudging well-wishers are out already.

This marks the retirement of the UK's most-capped defender of all time, who we were privileged to see at the tail-end of his career and who, by all accounts has been a massively important influence on our younger players. He always came across well.

But let's unleash the moans and the digs. Kickback's default setting, complain.

Thanks for everything, Aaron. We wish you every success in whatever you do next (coaching, presumably?).

Edited by 4marsbars

scott herbertson
4 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

This marks the retirement of the UK's most-capped defender of all time, who we were privileged to see at the tail-end of his career and who, by all accounts has been a massively important influence on our younger players. He always came across well.

Thanks for everything, Aaron. We wish you every success in whatever you do next (coaching, presumably?).

well said - we probably got value for money off the pitch from him.

CloustonHMFC
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

Im sure Souttar has previously cited how much of an influence he has been.

And Cochrane.

the guy had a massive influence right throughout the club. Despite not playing much, it was definitely beneficial to have around the club. People who say otherwise don’t know the workings of a football club properly and can’t see past a match day squad. 

Absolute Scenes

What a career this lad has had, congrats on a lifetime of graft Hughes

The way some of our fans treated him because he was still playing football at 37 (just because they were ashamed they'd let themselves go and at 37 couldn't walk up the stairs without being out of breath due to takeaways and the like...) was ridiculous

Well done Mr Hughes

Edited by Absolute Scenes

His legacy with us will hopefully be with our young pups being in and around him...can you imagine being Hickey or Harry and being able to speak and learn from him and pick up habits which he has used to cement a wonderful career at the highest level in England and international footy to boot....they cant say they never had anyone to look up, same for Naisy....wonderful players to learn from....

13 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Looked like a 50 year old who had dusted the cobwebs off the boots for a game of fives at Livi.

Reminded of the time Walter Kidd played v Killie at Rugby Park about a year after he’d retired.

Absolute Scenes
21 minutes ago, RudiHMFC said:

Looked like a 50 year old who had dusted the cobwebs off the boots for a game of fives at Livi.

Yeah 205 appearances for Newcastle and over 100 for Fulham, but he's dusted off cobwebs right enough

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Yeah 205 appearances for Newcastle and over 100 for Fulham, but he's dusted off cobwebs right enough

Sorry what?

39 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Bravo sir. This for me too

Apologies for not judging a Hearts player on his performances with prior clubs, how dare I.

It is like having sex with a 70 year old wrinkly munter and bragging about it as she used to be hot in the 60s.

OmiyaHearts

Funny when people mention 'wage thief' on various threads, the biggest culprit, who's just retired, rarely gets a mention.

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Apologies for not judging a Hearts player on his performances with prior clubs, how dare I.

It is like having sex with a 70 year old wrinkly munter and bragging about it as she used to be hot in the 60s.

I don't think anyone was actually talking to you or mentioning your comments

What you do in your spare time is up to you though

Haringshairband
7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

:rofl:is this something you have experience in?

Nookie Bear

“Privileged to see”

:rofl:

He was average for us, no doubt was a positive influence behind the scenes and produced he worst appearance in a Hearts shirt since Mo Bertha. 

Inch Hearts
1 hour ago, Regal Kingston said:

All the best Aaron. 

Be good to see him stay in a coaching capacity 

Good luck to him and all that but why the coaching? 

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

Wholeheartedly agree with your post, everything a professional footballer should be, represented his country and a great role model for our younger players. 

been here before
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

What exactly are you judging him on?

Have you ever seen him play in the flesh for Hearts?

8 minutes ago, been here before said:

What exactly are you judging him on?

Have you ever seen him play in the flesh for Hearts?

Course. I go to games.

A_A wehatethehibs

He gave a great performance against Celtic when we beat them 1-0 in the first game of the season. Subbed on when Berra went off injured. That’s how I’ll choose to remember him, a top player who was well past his best, but showed a few glimpses of what it takes to be a 500+ premier league games and 100+ cap international footballer. Souttar named Aaron as a big influence passing on his experience, Soapy will be delighted if he goes on to even have a quarter of the career of Aaron Hughes. All the best in retirement. 

been here before
20 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Course. I go to games.

Woeful, abjectly woeful.

As ever you're spouting your self opinionated shite about a player you've never seen kick a ball with a maroon jersey on.

An opinion based on nothing more than what you read on here or see in a 4 minute highlight show on Sportscene.

There's fuds up and down the country would take offence at being compared to you.

Edited by been here before

Finlay James

All the best, Aaron.  Hell of an achievement to be capped so many times and to hold the record.

His impact on the club is well known internally as he is very, very well respected in the dressing room. 

All the best to him. Hell of a professional and some feat to be capped so many times. Shame we got him when he was past his sell by but he still did a job on a few occasions and his influence off the park was definitely noteworthy.

Welcome back as a coach any time.

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, RudiHMFC said:

And he's achieved more in his career than you can only dream of. 

Solid, very well respected pro who has been a great source of advice for our and other youngsters at different clubs. 

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I'd imagine even the geriatric females cross the road to avoid you and your toxic bullshit.

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, Notts1874 said:

Started his career at Newcastle with Rob Lee and finished his career at Hearts with Olly Lee.

And harder than Bruce Lee.

1 hour ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

And he's achieved more in his career than you can only dream of. 

Solid, very well respected pro who has been a great source of advice for our and other youngsters at different clubs. 

I've had some class dreams, better than playing for Newcastle and Fulham that's for sure. So you're wrong there.

3 hours ago, been here before said:

Woeful, abjectly woeful.

As ever you're spouting your self opinionated shite about a player you've never seen kick a ball with a maroon jersey on.

An opinion based on nothing more than what you read on here or see in a 4 minute highlight show on Sportscene.

There's fuds up and down the country would take offence at being compared to you.

Whose other opinions would I spout?

been here before
30 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Whose other opinions would I spout?

You're spouting the opinions of others because you've **** all of your own to base anything on.

Phil Dunphy

Some people need to take a day off.

Britains most capped defender ever has just called time on a 21 year playing career. If you don't have anything positive or even interesting to add to the discussion, then don't bother. You're honestly not that important.

Well done to him. Hopefully have him back in a coaching role at some point.