letsalldothebeattie

Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

tokyowalnut
13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Shankland: relevant today, July 2019.

Isma and Juanma: not relevant.

We have just passed on Shankland and gave Washington our #9 and Walker our #11 - they are the master plan to fill our severe goal problem outside Steven Naismith. Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” - it’s his first pre season cup tie, everyone’s half fit, it’s a hard game away from home at Tynecastle and he’s the only striker on the pitch who’s scored. End of. Did Washington “look good enough for Hearts” last night? Not particularly, he was pretty anonymous and didn’t score. But he has plenty of time, he has about a month or two to get the goal tally ticking before he’s labelled a potential dud. 

At the moment we have no idea how it will all turn out, but many hoped we’d sign shankland not based on last night but based on his scoring form. Great, we got Washington, he is former £2m rated and has played at a higher level, hope he hits scoring form though. He’s not shown much scoring form in about 3 or 4 years. Shankland on the other hand is the current scoring form player in Scottish football.

No he isnt, he barely scored a goal from open play in 2019! 

siegementality

Shankland took 9 minutes to score against us. As I said previously, I think we’ve missed out here.

siegementality
18 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

How many goals did Connor Washington score in 2019, or 2018 for that matter?

siegementality
On 12/07/2019 at 22:28, Martin_T said:

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

FFS!!! I’ve heard it all now!

tokyowalnut
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

How many goals did Connor Washington score in 2019, or 2018 for that matter?

The thread is about Shankland, I'm not comparing the two.

I don't think Shankland is good enough. Any idea why no other team made a good enough offer for him? 

ri Alban
26 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I don't think Shankland is good enough. Any idea why no other team made a good enough offer for him? 

50 league goals in 61 games for Ayr. He'd have been a VG signing. But he's a United player now, so stop trying to put him down because he didn't sign for us.  United will stroll the championship with his goals and he'll improve as he's only 23.

As for why United, maybe he was giving some guarantees.

Edited by ri Alban

A_A wehatethehibs
8 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Calendar year is a nonsense, football is about seasons. Kilmarnock topped the calendar year table! Terrific!! Calendar year championeeeees

"From open play" is also a nonsense, penalties do not just get crossed off your goal tally. The ball went in the net. If we're crossing them off, by that logic, I can go and add penalties on,to strikers tally who missed them. Uches penalty against Partick, imagine if that went in, that's him up to 4 goals for the season. The ball did not go in the net.

Nobody knows his reasons for going to Dundee United. He's had the Aberdeen experience which he's learned from, the boy wants to play football. You're not ITK about the contract offers he got and neither is anyone else who's saying "why's he no moved tae a bigger team then eh?" Dundee United is a smart move for him.

For the avoidance of doubt here's the career games, goals, assists:

image.png.4220ef32faf3d7e6c758d9f6691dca21.png

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

jambopilms
10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

How do you explain Wighton being at Hearts with that theory ?

Because we were the biggest and probably only offer ?

jambopilms

I take it shankland is the latest stick to beat the club with. He scored against us, big deal so will many others. He found his level and is staying there. Who cares. Bumming him up likes he has his head screwed on by going to Utd is just strange. He's not in the top league because nobody wanted him and he wouldn't get a game anyway. 

Edited by jambopilms

tokyowalnut
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

50 league goals in 61 games for Ayr. He'd have been a VG signing. But he's a United player now, so stop trying to put him down because he didn't sign for us.  United will stroll the championship with his goals and he'll improve as he's only 23.

As for why United, maybe he was giving some guarantees.

I dont think he would've been a VG signing, all about opinions. Also, not quite sure how you got I was putting him down, that's an odd comment to make. 

tokyowalnut
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Calendar year is a nonsense, football is about seasons. Kilmarnock topped the calendar year table! Terrific!! Calendar year championeeeees

"From open play" is also a nonsense, penalties do not just get crossed off your goal tally. The ball went in the net. If we're crossing them off, by that logic, I can go and add penalties on,to strikers tally who missed them. Uches penalty against Partick, imagine if that went in, that's him up to 4 goals for the season. The ball did not go in the net.

Nobody knows his reasons for going to Dundee United. He's had the Aberdeen experience which he's learned from, the boy wants to play football. You're not ITK about the contract offers he got and neither is anyone else who's saying "why's he no moved tae a bigger team then eh?" Dundee United is a smart move for him.

For the avoidance of doubt here's the career games, goals, assists:

image.png.4220ef32faf3d7e6c758d9f6691dca21.png

Haha calm down, jeeze. What is it with JKB, if you have a different opinion from someone it immediately becomes argumentative.

The point was, from the start of the year his form has been poor. I know he was out injured as well, so obviously that has had an effect, but he isnt the form goalscorer in Scotland, as stated. I made no mention of 'calendar year', you've just gone off on one.

You're obviously a fan, which is great, I'm not overly fussed that he didnt come to us. Different opinion, nothing wrong with that.

I have made zero claim to be ITK, I asked the question. 

Can climb down off your high horse now.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Because we were the biggest and probably only offer ?

So what story does that tell ?

AlimOzturk

Remember Gavin Reily? Same thing here. 

Players have levels and moving from the championship to a team like hearts is a huge step up. 

Maybe he would do well but more than likely he would fail  

ri Alban
47 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I dont think he would've been a VG signing, all about opinions. Also, not quite sure how you got I was putting him down, that's an odd comment to make. 

You were questioning his ability. Is that better?

Mauricio Pinilla

Gavin reilly never had a scoring record like Shankland has so I'm not sure the comparison works. Wyness is pretty close and we know what happened there. 

tokyowalnut
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You were questioning his ability. Is that better?

Not really questioning his ability, more giving an opinion on his ability. That better?

Happy Sunday 👍

Maroon Sailor

When Hearts sign players like Wighton then Shankland would have been a no brainer

ri Alban
1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Not really questioning his ability, more giving an opinion on his ability. That better?

Happy Sunday 👍

:D

Maroon Sailor

So many desperate to see Shankland flop at Dundee Utd while masking their disappointment we never took a no lose chance on a prolific goalscorer by saying he's not good enough for Hearts ......... like we score goals for fun !

Captain Sausage

Anyone having a go at our recruitment because Shankland scores against us :lol:

****ing John Sutton scored against us. How’d that pan out. 

Not exactly his fault as he had zero service all game, but he did absolutely nothing except score a goal on the break, which I would have fancied anyone to put away. It was a great ball by Stanton who had drawn Zlamal off his line. LS offered no out ball, has no pace or physicality - he is not what we need. 

been here before
10 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Anyone having a go at our recruitment because Shankland scores against us :lol:

****ing John Sutton scored against us. How’d that pan out. 

Conor Sammon also scored against us 😂

This 'he scored against us' really is a humdinger of an argument to be making on a strikers prowess.

Mauricio Pinilla

Tbf Shankland scores against everyone else too. On the face of it he is/was well worth taking a punt on but we don't know if there's something else putting prem teams off. 

Gene Parmesan

Anyone else notice he did absolutely nothing other than head it into an unguarded net?

Saint Jambo

If Hearts have missed out it puts us in the same place as every other team in the league.

Then you have those arguing that it wasn't that no one better wanted him, but instead he opted to go to Dundee Utd to guarantee game time. Grand. On that basis he wouldn't have come to Hearts, so we didn't miss out.

Good to see people recognising that a player that turns 24 next month is still young enough to improve. I hope Hearts youngsters are given the same treatment in the future rather than the normal chat about their progress stalling when their form dips at 20. At the moment guys like Wighton (21) and Morrison (20) seem to get totally written off by large chunks of our fan base.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

If Hearts have missed out it puts us in the same place as every other team in the league.

Then you have those arguing that it wasn't that no one better wanted him, but instead he opted to go to Dundee Utd to guarantee game time. Grand. On that basis he wouldn't have come to Hearts, so we didn't miss out.

Good to see people recognising that a player that turns 24 next month is still young enough to improve. I hope Hearts youngsters are given the same treatment in the future rather than the normal chat about their progress stalling when their form dips at 20. At the moment guys like Wighton (21) and Morrison (20) seem to get totally written off by large chunks of our fan base.

Good post. I have been underwhelmed with Wighton and Morrison but I won't write either off at that age.

Gizmo
3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Anyone else notice he did absolutely nothing other than head it into an unguarded net?

Neilson will be quite happy with that if he gets into those positions regularly. 

siegementality
12 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

You could say the same of any player. Why did no other team make a good offer for Conor Washington or Jamie Walker?

been here before
13 minutes ago, siegementality said:

You could say the same of any player. Why did no other team make a good offer for Conor Washington or Jamie Walker?

Im sure Ive read a couple of interviews with Walker where its seems there was interest elsewhere but once Hearts made the call it was a "no brainer" as people with no brains say.

DETTY29

Was it the Shankland thread this time last year, or a man down the pub that mentioned Hearts offered £900pw plus bonuses?

Shankland was only interested if he was going to be a regular.

I'm not saying he was demanding a game, but if that was a factor to any move from leaving Ayr, then that restricts a lot of clubs he could go to.

Saint Jambo
59 minutes ago, siegementality said:

No one is claiming that Walker or Washington are massively better than playing at Hearts would suggest. No one is claiming that teams from higher leagues missed out by not signing them. People are making those claims about Shankland so it seems reasonable to ask why of all the teams better than Dundee Utd, not one scouted him and then followed through with suitable offer for him.

Unless you buy one of the arguments that he did have other offers but went with United because he felt he was more likely to get a game, didn't want to play in the top division, or wanted to keep working part-time. The thing is if one of those arguments are true then all the posts slating Hearts and Levein for not signing him are misplaced as he was never going to be willing to sign for us.