Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

tokyowalnut
10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You were questioning his ability. Is that better?

Not really questioning his ability, more giving an opinion on his ability. That better?

Happy Sunday 👍

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Maroon Sailor

When Hearts sign players like Wighton then Shankland would have been a no brainer

1 hour ago, tokyowalnut said:

Not really questioning his ability, more giving an opinion on his ability. That better?

Happy Sunday 👍

:D

Maroon Sailor

So many desperate to see Shankland flop at Dundee Utd while masking their disappointment we never took a no lose chance on a prolific goalscorer by saying he's not good enough for Hearts ......... like we score goals for fun !

Captain Sausage

Anyone having a go at our recruitment because Shankland scores against us :lol:

****ing John Sutton scored against us. How’d that pan out. 

Not exactly his fault as he had zero service all game, but he did absolutely nothing except score a goal on the break, which I would have fancied anyone to put away. It was a great ball by Stanton who had drawn Zlamal off his line. LS offered no out ball, has no pace or physicality - he is not what we need. 

been here before
10 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Anyone having a go at our recruitment because Shankland scores against us :lol:

****ing John Sutton scored against us. How’d that pan out. 

Conor Sammon also scored against us 😂

This 'he scored against us' really is a humdinger of an argument to be making on a strikers prowess.

The Internet

Tbf Shankland scores against everyone else too. On the face of it he is/was well worth taking a punt on but we don't know if there's something else putting prem teams off. 

Gene Parmesan

Anyone else notice he did absolutely nothing other than head it into an unguarded net?

Saint Jambo

If Hearts have missed out it puts us in the same place as every other team in the league.

Then you have those arguing that it wasn't that no one better wanted him, but instead he opted to go to Dundee Utd to guarantee game time. Grand. On that basis he wouldn't have come to Hearts, so we didn't miss out.

Good to see people recognising that a player that turns 24 next month is still young enough to improve. I hope Hearts youngsters are given the same treatment in the future rather than the normal chat about their progress stalling when their form dips at 20. At the moment guys like Wighton (21) and Morrison (20) seem to get totally written off by large chunks of our fan base.

i wish jj was my dad
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

If Hearts have missed out it puts us in the same place as every other team in the league.

Then you have those arguing that it wasn't that no one better wanted him, but instead he opted to go to Dundee Utd to guarantee game time. Grand. On that basis he wouldn't have come to Hearts, so we didn't miss out.

Good to see people recognising that a player that turns 24 next month is still young enough to improve. I hope Hearts youngsters are given the same treatment in the future rather than the normal chat about their progress stalling when their form dips at 20. At the moment guys like Wighton (21) and Morrison (20) seem to get totally written off by large chunks of our fan base.

Good post. I have been underwhelmed with Wighton and Morrison but I won't write either off at that age.

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Anyone else notice he did absolutely nothing other than head it into an unguarded net?

Neilson will be quite happy with that if he gets into those positions regularly. 

siegementality
12 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

The thread is about Shankland, I'm not comparing the two.

I don't think Shankland is good enough. Any idea why no other team made a good enough offer for him? 

You could say the same of any player. Why did no other team make a good offer for Conor Washington or Jamie Walker?

been here before
13 minutes ago, siegementality said:

You could say the same of any player. Why did no other team make a good offer for Conor Washington or Jamie Walker?

Im sure Ive read a couple of interviews with Walker where its seems there was interest elsewhere but once Hearts made the call it was a "no brainer" as people with no brains say.

Was it the Shankland thread this time last year, or a man down the pub that mentioned Hearts offered £900pw plus bonuses?

Shankland was only interested if he was going to be a regular.

I'm not saying he was demanding a game, but if that was a factor to any move from leaving Ayr, then that restricts a lot of clubs he could go to.

Saint Jambo
59 minutes ago, siegementality said:

No one is claiming that Walker or Washington are massively better than playing at Hearts would suggest. No one is claiming that teams from higher leagues missed out by not signing them. People are making those claims about Shankland so it seems reasonable to ask why of all the teams better than Dundee Utd, not one scouted him and then followed through with suitable offer for him.

Unless you buy one of the arguments that he did have other offers but went with United because he felt he was more likely to get a game, didn't want to play in the top division, or wanted to keep working part-time. The thing is if one of those arguments are true then all the posts slating Hearts and Levein for not signing him are misplaced as he was never going to be willing to sign for us.

The boy scored again tonight, I reckon a few clubs will be kicking themselves for not signing him up. 

I reckon he’s going to have another prolific season 

31 minutes ago, Angus Ogg said:

The boy scored again tonight, I reckon a few clubs will be kicking themselves for not signing him up. 

For his sake I hope you're right.  Still in a lower division though so even that's not conclusive imo.

Allowayjambo1874

The chat in Ayr at the start of last season when he was literally scoring every week was he was going to Swansea . Then he got an injury which coincided with the Swansea manager being sacked. Post injury he went right off the boil so I’m guessing anyone watching him then would’ve thought not good enough.

It seems obvious CL takes punts on forwards and probably because of our financial situation he has to. I think the crux of the argument around shankland is, if we were willing to take a punt on Washington, Stockton & Wighton (who cost us a transfer fee) why were we reluctant to take a punt on a guy scoring for fun at a lower level? 

FWIW I’ve heard no chat of him being a piss head or a billy big boots down here so nothing in the background to put us off him and personally I think he’ll get 20 goals again this season. 

Reckon this chat will be being repeated on quite a few other clubs fans forums, be interesting to see how his career progresses, unfortunately not a lot we can do about it now. 

The Internet

Dundee utd are an attacking side with a lot of creative players, he could easily hit 50 for them. 

2 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

The chat in Ayr at the start of last season when he was literally scoring every week was he was going to Swansea . Then he got an injury which coincided with the Swansea manager being sacked. Post injury he went right off the boil so I’m guessing anyone watching him then would’ve thought not good enough.

It seems obvious CL takes punts on forwards and probably because of our financial situation he has to. I think the crux of the argument around shankland is, if we were willing to take a punt on Washington, Stockton & Wighton (who cost us a transfer fee) why were we reluctant to take a punt on a guy scoring for fun at a lower level? 

FWIW I’ve heard no chat of him being a piss head or a billy big boots down here so nothing in the background to put us off him and personally I think he’ll get 20 goals again this season. 

Reckon this chat will be being repeated on quite a few other clubs fans forums, be interesting to see how his career progresses, unfortunately not a lot we can do about it now. 

Swansea's manager was not sacked last season, Graham Potter was appointed before the season started and left to go to Brighton last month.

6 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

Against Cowdenbeath. He's a good goalscorer at that level. Time will tell if he can make the step up.

Prior to last season, he failed to score frequently at either Aberdeen or St Mirren.

Hectormasson
On 14/07/2019 at 09:00, jambopilms said:

Because we were the biggest and probably only offer ?

Correct ,awful signing, end up back at Dundee or worse !

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Dundee utd are an attacking side with a lot of creative players, he could easily hit 50 for them. 

Probably 100! 

Why did no one else come in for Shankland that he eventually signed for another Championship club. 

Pretty obvious in in my book 

2 hours ago, Martin_T said:

Against Cowdenbeath. He's a good goalscorer at that level. Time will tell if he can make the step up.

Prior to last season, he failed to score frequently at either Aberdeen or St Mirren.

Yeah he scored against Cowdenbeath, none of our strikers scored against them!!

We’re at a higher level and he scored against us within 10 minutes. 

3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Really? It must have been a different side that turned up against us then.

1 hour ago, Angus Ogg said:

Yeah he scored against Cowdenbeath, none of our strikers scored against them!!

We’re at a higher level and he scored against us within 10 minutes. 

Time will tell, it will be interesting to see if he can make the step up.

Personally I wouldn't have signed the player as there is not enough evidence that he is good enough.

One thing I heard on here was that scouts reckon he's peaked and there isn't any room for him to improve further.

I really hope they're wrong. A young laddie being written off like that is horrible. Kinda reminds me of Moneyball with all the scouts and their 'experience' which boils down to a subjective opinion with a host of biases (I'm not saying scouts shouldn't be listened to but when stats scream one thing, I'd ignore the scouts tbh). A player with those stats you take a punt on. The down side is literally a small amount of wasted money and time.  Still a bit annoyed we didn't land him.

34 minutes ago, OTT said:

One thing I heard on here was that scouts reckon he's peaked and there isn't any room for him to improve further.

I really hope they're wrong. A young laddie being written off like that is horrible. Kinda reminds me of Moneyball with all the scouts and their 'experience' which boils down to a subjective opinion with a host of biases (I'm not saying scouts shouldn't be listened to but when stats scream one thing, I'd ignore the scouts tbh). A player with those stats you take a punt on. The down side is literally a small amount of wasted money and time.  Still a bit annoyed we didn't land him.

I completely agree with you on this, I always look at the way Paul Hartley continued to improve as a player from when we first signed him to then getting international recognition and scoring for Celtic in the champions league. 

There are players in the lower leagues that can make the step up. Ryan Stevenson was a good signing and Andy Robertson went from Queens Park to Liverpool in 5 years. 

If your willing to give guys a chance then your bound to find at least one diamond in the rough 

On 14/07/2019 at 06:59, ri Alban said:

50 league goals in 61 games for Ayr. He'd have been a VG signing. But he's a United player now, so stop trying to put him down because he didn't sign for us.  United will stroll the championship with his goals and he'll improve as he's only 23.

As for why United, maybe he was giving some guarantees.

I agree with my United mates (they are happy they've signed him) 

We all agreed you have to be prepared for him to score goals but not much else, which is a good habbit to have. He has a knack of being in the right place that you cant teach.

He's quite an old school poacher though. I think Hearts would've been too much pressure for him. Fans would jump on his back. 

Felix Lighter

Ian McCall was saying recently that he's nowhere near reached his potential and expects him to be knocking the door for a  Scotland call up soon..

John Sutton was pretty much an old school poacher and was pretty much universally deemed to be shite on here.

Robbo-Jambo
On 14/07/2019 at 12:12, Maroon Sailor said:

When Hearts sign players like Wighton then Shankland would have been a no brainer

Hard to argue with that tbh

12 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

Against Cowdenbeath

I’ll curb my excitement.

1 hour ago, OTT said:

No you dont you listen to scouts who watch him play not just stats in an inferior league.

Im guessing as they are paid to see what potential and developmemt players have then they are best placed to make that call.

Its hardly horrible.

Still cant believe this thread continues jesus people need to get over it.

7 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Against Cowdenbeath

I’ll curb my excitement.

Our strikers couldn’t score against them!!! 

1 minute ago, Jamboelite said:

No you dont you listen to scouts who watch him play not just stats in an inferior league.

Im guessing as they are paid to see what potential and developmemt players have then they are best placed to make that call.

Its hardly horrible.

Still cant believe this thread continues jesus people need to get over it.

Scouts aren't infallible was my point, and sometimes when stats are so insanely high it maybe is worth disregarding their opinion and going with what is there in front of you.

We'll know in 2 years time most likely once Utd get promoted. Its also a message board and close season :D there ain't much else to chat about 

The Internet
12 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Against Cowdenbeath

I’ll curb my excitement.

Recently scored against a top 6 spl side. 

If we signed him he would have flopped if you go by past signings like him that we have made. Once he plays at premiership level for a season and still scores at a decent rate then you can say we missed out, until then he would have been a gamble and if he didnt score he and CL would have got the usual endless moaning that comes from part of our support.

Maroon Sailor
4 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

Why did no one else come in for Shankland that he eventually signed for another Championship club. 

Pretty obvious in in my book 

Was it as obvious as no one else coming in for Wighton ?

Don't get the impression there were too many fans of other clubs who were gutted he signed for Hearts.

Maroon Sailor
43 minutes ago, jackal said:

If we signed him he would have flopped if you go by past signings like him that we have made. Once he plays at premiership level for a season and still scores at a decent rate then you can say we missed out, until then he would have been a gamble and if he didnt score he and CL would have got the usual endless moaning that comes from part of our support.

Where's the gamble ?

What did Hearts have to lose in signing Shankland ?

Robbo-Jambo
On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:19, Sir Gio said:

Lafferty was several notches above Juanma. 

As Kila mentioned if Juanma had focused on himself more he could easily have been as good as Lafferty. 

Paterson didn't really care for him 

Young Mr Paterson decked him with one punch. :greggy:

queensferryjambo

So is this thread going to go on and on every time Shankland scores against the likes of  Alloa and Arbroath? 

I am sure Shankland will do very well in the Championship but if he was good enough to be a Premiership player surely a top flight club would have snapped him up.

1 hour ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Where's the gamble ?

What did Hearts have to lose in signing Shankland ?

The gamble is exactly what you say, a gamble. Some supporters complain about players already at the club because they arent at the level of players who have played in the highest leagues in Europe.

If I had the choice between Washington and Shankland I would take Washington only because of the level he has played at in comparison to Shanlkland. The club has already taken gambles on Uche, Lee,Haring,Clare,Wighton and Mulraney to name a few and people still complain because we didnt finish top 4. You cant keep taking gambles and expect to finish in the top few places.

Im sure we would all love to sign That one player who goes on to be prolific at every level they play but its fairytale stuff.

Hearts had plenty to lose in signing a player and paying and giving him a place in the team not knowing if he would be any better than whats at the club already.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jackal said:

The gamble is exactly what you say, a gamble. Some supporters complain about players already at the club because they arent at the level of players who have played in the highest leagues in Europe.

If I had the choice between Washington and Shankland I would take Washington only because of the level he has played at in comparison to Shanlkland. The club has already taken gambles on Uche, Lee,Haring,Clare,Wighton and Mulraney to name a few and people still complain because we didnt finish top 4. You cant keep taking gambles and expect to finish in the top few places.

Im sure we would all love to sign That one player who goes on to be prolific at every level they play but its fairytale stuff.

Hearts had plenty to lose in signing a player and paying and giving him a place in the team not knowing if he would be any better than whats at the club already.

So you prefer Washington as he's more likely to score goals in the Scottish Premiership on the basis he played but didn't score many in the English lower leagues ?

25 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

So you prefer Washington as he's more likely to score goals in the Scottish Premiership on the basis he played but didn't score many in the English lower leagues ?

I prefer Washington because He has played at a higher level and I think will offer a lot to the team. You prefer Shankland because he scored over 20 goals in the Scottish championship which is fine but the chance of him doing it at priemership level is slim. Some of the top goal scorers from the championship over time include Stevie May, El Alagui, Dobbie more than once and Rory Loy. Cummings and Waghorn done well at championship level as well but dont think Cummings did so well in the premiership while at Rangers.

Shankland may well finish top scorer again this season but will anyone come in for him?

At the end off the day we didnt sign him for whatever reason if we even considered signing him that is, so I guess we will never know. Im surprised one of the lower premiership clubs didnt take a chance but again maybe they cant afford the gamble and end up with a striker that cant score consistently against better players.

Maroon Sailor
3 minutes ago, jackal said:

I prefer Washington because He has played at a higher level and I think will offer a lot to the team. You prefer Shankland because he scored over 20 goals in the Scottish championship which is fine but the chance of him doing it at priemership level is slim. Some of the top goal scorers from the championship over time include Stevie May, El Alagui, Dobbie more than once and Rory Loy. Cummings and Waghorn done well at championship level as well but dont think Cummings did so well in the premiership while at Rangers.

Shankland may well finish top scorer again this season but will anyone come in for him?

At the end off the day we didnt sign him for whatever reason if we even considered signing him that is, so I guess we will never know. Im surprised one of the lower premiership clubs didnt take a chance but again maybe they cant afford the gamble and end up with a striker that cant score consistently against better players.

Hold on where do I say I prefer Shankland over Washington ?

You are the one who thinks Shankland would be a gamble

What's wrong with having the two of them ?

I don't see Shankland as a gamble at all

35 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Hold on where do I say I prefer Shankland over Washington ?

You are the one who thinks Shankland would be a gamble

What's wrong with having the two of them ?

I don't see Shankland as a gamble at all

So do we just sign every player who might be worthwhile? We can only sign so many players and we needed a striker so we signed Washington. If that never happened we might have taken a chance on Shankland, who knows. How many players have we signed in recent years hoping they would be a good signing? I imagine we would have hoped all of them would turn out well and made money for the club or at least improve the playing squad but not all players can play in the SPL.

Of course Shankland would be a gamble, as I posted earlier about players who have been top scorer in the Championship it doesnt guarantee they will score in the SPL .

So where does Shankland get game time assuming Naismith is signing. We would have Naismith, Washington, Uche, Mclean, Wighton. With Keena and others also in contention. Considering we predominately play with one up front thats a lot of players for 1 position maybe 2.

You may not see him as a gamble but youre not the one paying his wages every week and have no idea how much he is earning. If we could have swapped him for Wighton it would still have been a gamble but who is to say he is going to do any more than Wighton has done here.Until he gets time playing at a higher level in the future we will never know if he is capable.

Ayr apparently knocked back £250k for him and had numerous clubs after him so why did he choose Utd unless they were the only ones to offer him what he wanted or the only ones to offer him a contract.

I dont think many players in the Championship are missed by bigger clubs and the ones that do get picked up not many go on to better things after that. Just because Shankland scores goals doesnt make him any less of a gamble than a holding mid or keeper.