Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

JamboAl1965

Didn’t see anything in Shankland tonight that made me think a number of premiership clubs have made a mistake and missed out. Took his goal well when handed on a plate but not a top flight striker for me. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

I was speaking of the likes of Sammon et al

Sammon isn't a Hearts player.

16 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

His positioning for his goal was class. Luck or not. I think he will send a few into the onion bag this season. 

He was blowing out his arse 2nd half though. Not a great advert for his personal training business eh!

It was a great goal.

Subbed after 64 minutes though. 

Dundee United might think they are favourites for promotion. But it's going to be tough. 

Fozzyonthefence
56 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Based on his sitter then natural finisher isnt his role either.

He scored an open goal when our keeper went for a walk but he did nothing.else.

Unlike our two strikers who did **** all.

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Unlike our two strikers who did **** all.

Finishing is definitely the question after tonight. Naismith should help that though. 

Edited by Mikey1874

tartofmidlothian
45 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye, instead we went for Sammon and Watt. Flops

Sammon, Watt and Shankland were all signed by Robbie Neilson.

It depends how much Shankland wanted, though. Unless United have flung their budget at him, he would have been a good punt on Championship wages. Even if he scored three goals and we paid him off a year from now.

8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Sammon isn't a Hearts player.

I was speaking about previous so called strikers we’ve signed and been utter ponies. To date we haven’t really signed a striker that done what he’s paid for. 

6 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I was speaking about previous so called strikers we’ve signed and been utter ponies. To date we haven’t really signed a striker that done what he’s paid for. 

Naismith coming in should help. 

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Naismith coming in should help. 

I really hope so. Just hope he stays fit. He would have relished playing tonight.

Who_put_the_ball_in...
15 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Lafferty?

Just now, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Lafferty?

Lafferty was different to the others he’s was a known quantity and played at a high level. In the end he went for the money but that was all he got, he rarely got a sniff at Sevco. The rest were as we all could see failures. 

20 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Shankland not good enough for Hearts seemingly.....

He was woeful.

Defensive howler from us,took the chance,but didnt touch the ball again.

Will probably score a few  in the championship,but  that is his level.

SpruceBringsteen

Shankland: scores goal, never touches the ball again = should have signed him

Isma, Juanma etc: scores goal, touches the ball plenty = GET OUT OF MY CLUB YOU LAZY ****

These are Olympic level mental gymnastics tbh

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Lafferty was different to the others he’s was a known quantity and played at a high level. In the end he went for the money but that was all he got, he rarely got a sniff at Sevco. The rest were as we all could see failures. 

What about Naismith (14 in 33), Keatings (11 in 29), Sow (20 in 45), Zeefuik (12 in 15), Isma (13 in 35), Jonson (6 in 34 but coming on to a game when dumped by Cathro and has shown his quality in the Netherlands), Juanma (12 in 33)?

chester copperpot
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was a great goal.

Dundee United might think they are favourites for promotion. But it's going to be tough. 

It's a tough league to get out of. Unless that club is Heart of Midlothian 

:verysmug:

Edited by chester copperpot

Alex Kintner
33 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Isma, Juanma etc: scores goal, touches the ball plenty = GET OUT OF MY CLUB YOU LAZY ****

:spoton:

A_A wehatethehibs
7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Shankland: relevant today, July 2019.

Isma and Juanma: not relevant.

We have just passed on Shankland and gave Washington our #9 and Walker our #11 - they are the master plan to fill our severe goal problem outside Steven Naismith. Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” - it’s his first pre season cup tie, everyone’s half fit, it’s a hard game away from home at Tynecastle and he’s the only striker on the pitch who’s scored. End of. Did Washington “look good enough for Hearts” last night? Not particularly, he was pretty anonymous and didn’t score. But he has plenty of time, he has about a month or two to get the goal tally ticking before he’s labelled a potential dud. 

At the moment we have no idea how it will all turn out, but many hoped we’d sign shankland not based on last night but based on his scoring form. Great, we got Washington, he is former £2m rated and has played at a higher level, hope he hits scoring form though. He’s not shown much scoring form in about 3 or 4 years. Shankland on the other hand is the current scoring form player in Scottish football.

Surprised at his poor level of fitness and lack of movement

Will he score goals at that level - absolutely 

Did I want him at us - absolutely not.

SpruceBringsteen
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” 

He's certainly not good looking enough.

:greggy:

Spoiler

He's also clearly absolutely terrible at football.

17 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

It was a great goal.

Given the way they booted everything that moved in a Hearts top last night, I hope they stay down.

The Internet

He is a strange one. In a way it makes sense as he's likely to be in a winning team, more exciting than going to a motherwell or St Johnstone or whatever, and will probably end up with promotion anyway. It's just bizarre to see someone with a record like that staying in the 2nd tier. It's easy to say we've missed a trick but I didn't see Aberdeen, killie, hibs or anyone else making a big effort to get him. 

J.T.F.Robertson
25 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

It's easy to say we've missed a trick but I didn't see Aberdeen, killie, hibs or anyone else making a big effort to get him. 

Exactly!;

He may prove everyone wrong but something doesn't add up.

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Given the way they booted everything that moved in a Hearts top last night, I hope they stay down.

Only because balloon clancy did nothing about it, what an utter clown of a ref.

17 hours ago, Tott said:

He was woeful.

Defensive howler from us,took the chance,but didnt touch the ball again.

Will probably score a few  in the championship,but  that is his level.

Wish he had been on the end of some of the chances we created last night!

By the way what’s Wighton’s “level”?? 😉

There is one reason that he is at Dundee Utd and that's because there was no serious offers from anyone bigger or better. That tells a story. 

2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Only because balloon clancy did nothing about it, what an utter clown of a ref.

Aye he was shit.  But he didn't force them to be a bunch of dirty *******s, just let them get away with it.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Wish he had been on the end of some of the chances we created last night!

By the way what’s Wighton’s “level”?? 😉

What’s wighton’s level? He’s earned himself a contract at a top club hasn’t he? Wighton is what 2/3 years younger than Shankland and was scoring goals in the top league at a younger age while Shankland was blowing his chance with Aberdeen.

21 hours ago, Martin_T said:

There are many on here were also desperate for us to sign Faisal El Baktouhi. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he ever plays consistently at premier league level.

Levein looked at El Baktouhi and said no because he didn’t believe he had what it took to play in the Premiership. 

I think Shankland has something but this season will tell us a lot. He seems a natural goalscorer but for Dundee United to get him over any team down south or other team in Scotland they have either thrown a lot of money at him , teams have seen something that puts them off or he doesn’t fancy testing himself higher.

Always wary of the 'goal scorer' tag and that's all that matters.

When you look back at games from 20 - 30 years ago, guys like Robbo and McCoist were bloody good footballers.

Running channels, linking play and being all round pests from start to finish.

Unknown user
46 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Always wary of the 'goal scorer' tag and that's all that matters.

When you look back at games from 20 - 30 years ago, guys like Robbo and McCoist were bloody good footballers.

Running channels, linking play and being all round pests from start to finish.

This is very true, robbo was much more than just a goal scorer

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, HighTimes said:

Aye he was shit.  But he didn't force them to be a bunch of dirty *******s, just let them get away with it.

Very true, 

Maroon Sailor
3 hours ago, jambopilms said:

There is one reason that he is at Dundee Utd and that's because there was no serious offers from anyone bigger or better. That tells a story. 

How do you explain Wighton being at Hearts with that theory ?

tokyowalnut
13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Shankland: relevant today, July 2019.

Isma and Juanma: not relevant.

We have just passed on Shankland and gave Washington our #9 and Walker our #11 - they are the master plan to fill our severe goal problem outside Steven Naismith. Folks are trying to downplay Shankland as “not looking good enough” - it’s his first pre season cup tie, everyone’s half fit, it’s a hard game away from home at Tynecastle and he’s the only striker on the pitch who’s scored. End of. Did Washington “look good enough for Hearts” last night? Not particularly, he was pretty anonymous and didn’t score. But he has plenty of time, he has about a month or two to get the goal tally ticking before he’s labelled a potential dud. 

At the moment we have no idea how it will all turn out, but many hoped we’d sign shankland not based on last night but based on his scoring form. Great, we got Washington, he is former £2m rated and has played at a higher level, hope he hits scoring form though. He’s not shown much scoring form in about 3 or 4 years. Shankland on the other hand is the current scoring form player in Scottish football.

No he isnt, he barely scored a goal from open play in 2019! 

siegementality

Shankland took 9 minutes to score against us. As I said previously, I think we’ve missed out here.

siegementality
18 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

How many goals did Connor Washington score in 2019, or 2018 for that matter?

siegementality
On 12/07/2019 at 22:28, Martin_T said:

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

FFS!!! I’ve heard it all now!

tokyowalnut
6 hours ago, siegementality said:

How many goals did Connor Washington score in 2019, or 2018 for that matter?

The thread is about Shankland, I'm not comparing the two.

I don't think Shankland is good enough. Any idea why no other team made a good enough offer for him? 

26 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

The thread is about Shankland, I'm not comparing the two.

I don't think Shankland is good enough. Any idea why no other team made a good enough offer for him? 

50 league goals in 61 games for Ayr. He'd have been a VG signing. But he's a United player now, so stop trying to put him down because he didn't sign for us.  United will stroll the championship with his goals and he'll improve as he's only 23.

As for why United, maybe he was giving some guarantees.

Edited by ri Alban

A_A wehatethehibs
8 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

Calendar year is a nonsense, football is about seasons. Kilmarnock topped the calendar year table! Terrific!! Calendar year championeeeees

"From open play" is also a nonsense, penalties do not just get crossed off your goal tally. The ball went in the net. If we're crossing them off, by that logic, I can go and add penalties on,to strikers tally who missed them. Uches penalty against Partick, imagine if that went in, that's him up to 4 goals for the season. The ball did not go in the net.

Nobody knows his reasons for going to Dundee United. He's had the Aberdeen experience which he's learned from, the boy wants to play football. You're not ITK about the contract offers he got and neither is anyone else who's saying "why's he no moved tae a bigger team then eh?" Dundee United is a smart move for him.

For the avoidance of doubt here's the career games, goals, assists:

image.png.4220ef32faf3d7e6c758d9f6691dca21.png

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

10 hours ago, Maroon Sailor said:

How do you explain Wighton being at Hearts with that theory ?

Because we were the biggest and probably only offer ?

I take it shankland is the latest stick to beat the club with. He scored against us, big deal so will many others. He found his level and is staying there. Who cares. Bumming him up likes he has his head screwed on by going to Utd is just strange. He's not in the top league because nobody wanted him and he wouldn't get a game anyway. 

Edited by jambopilms

tokyowalnut
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

50 league goals in 61 games for Ayr. He'd have been a VG signing. But he's a United player now, so stop trying to put him down because he didn't sign for us.  United will stroll the championship with his goals and he'll improve as he's only 23.

As for why United, maybe he was giving some guarantees.

I dont think he would've been a VG signing, all about opinions. Also, not quite sure how you got I was putting him down, that's an odd comment to make. 

tokyowalnut
2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Calendar year is a nonsense, football is about seasons. Kilmarnock topped the calendar year table! Terrific!! Calendar year championeeeees

"From open play" is also a nonsense, penalties do not just get crossed off your goal tally. The ball went in the net. If we're crossing them off, by that logic, I can go and add penalties on,to strikers tally who missed them. Uches penalty against Partick, imagine if that went in, that's him up to 4 goals for the season. The ball did not go in the net.

Nobody knows his reasons for going to Dundee United. He's had the Aberdeen experience which he's learned from, the boy wants to play football. You're not ITK about the contract offers he got and neither is anyone else who's saying "why's he no moved tae a bigger team then eh?" Dundee United is a smart move for him.

For the avoidance of doubt here's the career games, goals, assists:

image.png.4220ef32faf3d7e6c758d9f6691dca21.png

Haha calm down, jeeze. What is it with JKB, if you have a different opinion from someone it immediately becomes argumentative.

The point was, from the start of the year his form has been poor. I know he was out injured as well, so obviously that has had an effect, but he isnt the form goalscorer in Scotland, as stated. I made no mention of 'calendar year', you've just gone off on one.

You're obviously a fan, which is great, I'm not overly fussed that he didnt come to us. Different opinion, nothing wrong with that.

I have made zero claim to be ITK, I asked the question. 

Can climb down off your high horse now.

Maroon Sailor
1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

Because we were the biggest and probably only offer ?

So what story does that tell ?

Remember Gavin Reily? Same thing here. 

Players have levels and moving from the championship to a team like hearts is a huge step up. 

Maybe he would do well but more than likely he would fail  

47 minutes ago, tokyowalnut said:

I dont think he would've been a VG signing, all about opinions. Also, not quite sure how you got I was putting him down, that's an odd comment to make. 

You were questioning his ability. Is that better?

The Internet

Gavin reilly never had a scoring record like Shankland has so I'm not sure the comparison works. Wyness is pretty close and we know what happened there.