Lawrence Shankland Signs fir Dundee Utd ( updated )

letsalldothebeattie

Arthur Morgan
46 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

I think it's a good fit. Shankland looking to play at a higher level but a bit reticent to go the Premier too soon and blow it. United seem the perfect fit as a potential Premier team.

This. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Sagan

• Mikey1874

• YouLetYourClubDie

Guest ToqueJambo
48 minutes ago, Forza Cuore said:

I think it's a good fit. Shankland looking to play at a higher level but a bit reticent to go the Premier too soon and blow it. United seem the perfect fit as a potential Premier team.

Too soon? He's almost 24. Maybe a lack of confidence thing has put clubs off.

Forza Cuore
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Too soon? He's almost 24. Maybe a lack of confidence thing has put clubs off.

I mean too soon off the back of decent seasons at a lower level, nothing to do with age.

2 hours ago, siegementality said:

Remains to be seen but I personally think we’ve missed out here.

I don’t think so he is pretty average 

17 hours ago, mscjambo said:

Aye

Won't do it in the top league..... Dennis Wyness, Gavin Reilly, plenty guys score bundles in the lower league but can't do it in the top league.....thanks for the link but I'll pass

We signed Wighton.....

Pans Jambo
50 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

We signed Wighton.....

Wighton :silviodamn:

Watch him score against us a week on Friday, he’ll probably get a couple at least. 

Edited by Dannie Boy

On 03/07/2019 at 17:35, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Dundee utd surely going to romp the championship next season. If they get gauld they might as well just be given the trophy now. 

What's the story with Gauld. Has he gone off the boil...? A couple of years ago he could pick and choose his clubs. Surprised at Dundee Utd.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 hours ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

We signed Wighton.....

Wighton has at least played a good number of games and scored in the Premiership, and is still over 2 years younger than Shankland. And hopefully will score again one day haha. Bit early to write Wighton off, given at 24 Shankland is still a Championship player.

1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

Wighton has at least played a good number of games and scored in the Premiership, and is still over 2 years younger than Shankland. And hopefully will score again one day haha. Bit early to write Wighton off, given at 24 Shankland is still a Championship player.

Wighton is just so timid and lightweight - really hope I’m wrong but I see nothing in him to suggest he will make it at Hearts. 

Jambo 4 Ever
On 03/07/2019 at 18:32, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Utd look far stronger than those two, particularly in attack. I mean Sow, Clark, McMullan, Shankland and even Cammy Smith would be decent options at spl level.

Probably better than us tbh 

Unknown user
9 hours ago, Section Q said:

What's the story with Gauld. Has he gone off the boil...? A couple of years ago he could pick and choose his clubs. Surprised at Dundee Utd.

He's gone from a multi million pound move to Portugal to a failed loan spell at hibs. I'd say he's gone off the boil. 

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Probably better than us tbh 

Aye very good. Depends who is us though, eh?

FarmerTweedy
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

He's gone from a multi million pound move to Portugal to a failed loan spell at hibs. I'd say he's gone off the boil. 

More like off the heat entirely, cooled down to room temperature, then shoved in the freezer!

Said he would score against us. It was in the script. I’ll never understand why we didn’t sign him. 

Red faces in our management team? I doubt it very much. We are happy to sign huddies and carthorses . 

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Said he would score against us. It was in the script. I’ll never understand why we didn’t sign him. 

Red faces in our management team? I doubt it very much. We are happy to sign huddies and carthorses . 

Walker and Washington are huddies and carthorses?

Edited by Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Ok he’s scored but done nothing else.

The goal has covered up a rank performance. 

Bazzas right boot
20 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

49435729-e1492696068412.jpg

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

His performance shows why nobody decent picked him up

He's done exactly what you'd expect of a striker playing away from home for a lower division team who has hardly had a touch. 

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, PB21 said:

3 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

His performance shows why nobody decent picked him up

A striker has 1 primary job, finish. Same as a Center half primary job is to clear danger. Goalkeeper primary job is to make a big save. Who cares about his “performance” he is not a playmaker, he has done his main job put one in the net. It’s all about goals for strikers. Who cares about “works hard, good pro, doesn’t score” type strikers? My most hated category of player, non-scoring strikers.

The boy does **** all except score? Great 

Hope Washington and Uche get on the scoresheet.

Looked a long way short in his overall game from being a premier league player. Although to be fair to him, it is the first game of the season.

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Walker and Washington are huddies and carthorses?

I was speaking of the likes of Sammon et al

28 minutes ago, PB21 said:

That’s what strikers do

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

That’s what strikers do

Just now, Dannie Boy said:

That’s what strikers do

In the modern game strikers are expected to contribute far more than just scoring. 

26 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

In the modern game strikers are expected to contribute far more than just scoring. 

Our strikers contributed (sometimes) but rarely score.

1 minute ago, Dannie Boy said:

Our strikers contributed (sometimes) but rarely score.

Shankland doesn't look good enough to play for Hearts. The lad Appere who replaced him looked a far better player.

Still think he should have been brought in, goals were a problem last year as there is no natural finisher/poacher in the squad. 

The Internet
49 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

I was speaking of the likes of Sammon et al

The guy we signed in 2016?

20 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Shankland doesn't look good enough to play for Hearts. The lad Appere who replaced him looked a far better player.

Really? He's just scored against one of the stronger teams (well, we'll see) in the division above, away from home. We've missed a trick not bringing him in

Just now, Biguche said:

Really? He's just scored against one of the stronger teams (well, we'll see) in the division above, away from home. We've missed a trick not bringing him in

Just now, Biguche said:

There are many on here were also desperate for us to sign Faisal El Baktouhi. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he ever plays consistently at premier league level.

Dundee Utd couldn’t get out their own half and he’s scored with pretty much his only chance :laugh: 

Think he’ll be good for them. 

16 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Still think he should have been brought in, goals were a problem last year as there is no natural finisher/poacher in the squad. 

Based on his sitter then natural finisher isnt his role either.

He scored an open goal when our keeper went for a walk but he did nothing.else.

Edited by Jamboelite

I want the lad to go on and prove everybody wrong.

He had bags of potential but much like every other scottish striker he's stumbled when its came time to realise that potential. At.. what 23? he's still got time on his side and could easily be on for a decent move in 2 seasons time (provided he makes the step up).

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Morph said:

Dundee Utd couldn’t get out their own half and he’s scored with pretty much his only chance :laugh: 

Think he’ll be good for them. 

He in no way looked anywhere near a Premiership striker though.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

There are many on here were also desperate for us to sign Faisal El Baktouhi. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if he ever plays consistently at premier league level.

Aye, instead we went for Sammon and Watt. Flops

We have followed the sammon and watt “failed at a higher level” non-scorer formula again with Washington on paper. And again we’ve passed on an in-form goalscorer from a lower level. 

Fingers crossed Washington will get his head right and get himself amongst the goals as we all know, that’s what strikers are judged by. Today he was anonymous whereas Shankland is on the scoresheet. That is all that matters in the mind of the true predatory striker. 

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He in no way looked anywhere near a Premiership striker though.

Craig wighton is a premiership striker and I know which player id rather have. 

I dont think it’s a case of him not being good enough to get the interest of prem teams, there’s something else there.  Time will tell but I think utd have made a good signing. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye, instead we went for Sammon and Watt. Flops

We have followed the sammon and watt “failed at a higher level” non-scorer formula again with Washington on paper. And again we’ve passed on an in-form goalscorer from a lower level. 

Fingers crossed Washington will get his head right and get himself amongst the goals as we all know, that’s what strikers are judged by. Today he was anonymous whereas Shankland is on the scoresheet. That is all that matters in the mind of the true predatory striker. 

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Morph said:

Craig wighton is a premiership striker and I know which player id rather have. 

I dont think it’s a case of him not being good enough to get the interest of prem teams, there’s something else there.  Time will tell but I think utd have made a good signing. 

I'm sure he'll score for fun again in the championship, although he'll need better service than he got tonight.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

We don't have a great track record with signing lower league goalscorers. Wyness and Reilly immediately spring to mind.

Who was the last prolific striker in the lower leagues in Scotland to make the step up to the premier league and maintain a similar ratio? 

Griffiths. 

Wyness was 15 years ago.

Reilly was better than Sammon and Watt 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Griffiths. 

Griffiths certainly has done it. For every Griffiths, there's a Wyness, a Reilly, a Keatings, an El Baktouhi, a Brian Graham etc etc.

It's a risk, and Shankland, like St Johnstone's budget relative to Paul Hartley's bottom six Dundee side, looked quite a bit short.

He took his chance well and I'm sure he'll continue to score goals at their level.

26 minutes ago, Jamboelite said:

Based on his sitter then natural finisher isnt his role either.

He scored an open goal when our keeper went for a walk but he did nothing.else.

I would like to think a player is judged on more than 90 minutes, otherwise a condemnation report will be at the ready for a few tonight. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

Griffiths certainly has done it. For every Griffiths, there's a Wyness, a Reilly, a Keatings, an El Baktouhi, a Brian Graham etc etc.

It's a risk, and Shankland, like St Johnstone's budget relative to Paul Hartley's bottom six Dundee side, looked quite a bit short.

He took his chance well and I'm sure he'll continue to score goals at their level.

It’s always a risk at this level. Craig levein has made his bet on Conor Washington being the number 9 we need. We will see how it turns out. 

He had no service and scored with the one chance he had. He just wants the ball in the box and not to do much else. 

His positioning for his goal was class. Luck or not. I think he will send a few into the onion bag this season. 

He was blowing out his arse 2nd half though. Not a great advert for his personal training business eh!